Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

English Pessimism

4 posters

Go down

English Pessimism Empty English Pessimism

Post by ever hopeful Tue 07 Dec 2010, 10:49

Well played Australia, if only for keeping so many English faint-hearts worried for so long. I'm sure you've noticed that despite England playing so well, such is the fear you instill among some of our fans that these doom-merchants don't really believe in England, even when it's going swimmingly. They are a kind of Anti-Barmy Army which we drag around like damp heavy sandbags. Every Oz partnership over ten is treated as a potential match winner and every bad ball we bowl, no matter how rare, is seen as a sign that England's going to pieces again. For instance, here's a fine bit of pom pessimism from Adelaide Day 5 (followed by the inevitable frantic back-peddling when once again something goes right):

Henry wrote:We've bowled a fair amount of filth this morning. Just need to settle down, find a groove, stay patient.
Unfortunately England don't do that when victory is in sight.

And three minutes later when Jimmy gets a wicket...

Henry wrote:And there you go. Jimmy bowls a few in the right spot, edge found. Haddin gone. Australia's tail exposed.

And he's by no means the worst offender. Fair enough, when England are failing, wring your hands and whinge about it (if that's your thing). But in Australia when your team are doing well at least you get behind them and show a bit of faith.
ever hopeful
ever hopeful

Number of posts : 922
Registration date : 2009-07-13
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

English Pessimism Empty Re: English Pessimism

Post by taipan Tue 07 Dec 2010, 10:54

Oxymoron
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by ever hopeful Tue 07 Dec 2010, 11:23

On the contrary, I fear "English Optimism" would be an oxymoron.
ever hopeful
ever hopeful

Back to top Go down

Post by Growler Tue 07 Dec 2010, 12:53

Hear hear EH

Only a complete fool would write Aus off completely - and we're still not immune from poor sessions, however - as I've said before on more than one occasion ....

This England squad are not frightened of anyone now, and with good reason.

Nasser alluded to it last night on Sky. He's getting annoyed with the attitude that when we fail, its our fault - but we never get credit for a good win. The conditions suited Jimmy/Swanny ..... the oppo bats threw their wickets away/ bowlers were all piemen ..... we had every slice of luck going ..... opposition were generally sh!t.

The fact is, over two matches - for every session won by Australia with bat or ball, we won three, and that's why we're one up. If the trend continues, we really can win another test - maybe even two with Australia in such disarray.
Growler
Growler

English Pessimism MPDozzd

Number of posts : 2286
Registration date : 2007-10-13
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by ever hopeful Tue 07 Dec 2010, 20:36

Fortunately, the players have more faith in themselves than do many of the people watching. It's not everyone who knocks them though. For one thing, I'd say the commentators are a more positive bunch than in the days when the likes of Illingworth and Trueman used to sit there moaning and banging on about how much better their own era was. The most vocal remaining yorkie, Boycott, despite being repetitive, annoying and unable to admit he's ever wrong, is actually very encouraging when England are on song.
ever hopeful
ever hopeful

Back to top Go down

Post by Eric Air Emu Tue 07 Dec 2010, 22:07

Just the thread I was looking for- I really need to vent my pessimism. Ashes series have been a bain of my life far too long not to confront them with my thorny shield of negativity.

Australia are a far better team then they've shown for the last seven days of cricket. Ponting, Clarke & Hussey are top class batsmen on their day, Haddin's a solid batsman keeper and a fast bowling repository of Johnson, Hilfenhaus, Bollinger, Siddle & Harris can do far better and no doubt will if there's a bit of life in the pitch. Whoever they bring in for North and Hauritz will undoubtedly be more a threat.

England on the other hand traditionally don't go in for orgiastic run scoring so we won't see many more runs from Trott, Cook and KP. Collingwood could well be over the hill. Now Broad's gone half the bowling attack will be raw and unproven and Jimmy can always get a bit of tap. I only have faith in Swann and Bell continuing to perform.

Still the worst that can happen is 3-1 to the Aussies and that'll be the best result since 98/99.
Eric Air Emu
Eric Air Emu

Number of posts : 1954
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Fri 10 Dec 2010, 21:29

ever hopeful wrote:On the contrary, I fear "English Optimism" would be an oxymoron.

yeah, I screwed that one up.
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down