Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are we on the verge of a new ice age?

+11
Jontyh
taipan
lardbucket
Mick Sawyer
LeFromage
beamer
skully
Zat
krikri
Basil
Henry
15 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Are we on the verge of a new ice age? Empty Are we on the verge of a new ice age?

Post by Henry Mon 20 Dec 2010, 13:19

Well? Europe is basically frozen. Many countries are recording their lowest temperatures on record. Has it begun?
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Are we on the verge of a new ice age? Empty Re: Are we on the verge of a new ice age?

Post by Basil Mon 20 Dec 2010, 13:49

Nah, it's just weather!
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15936
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Are we on the verge of a new ice age? Empty Re: Are we on the verge of a new ice age?

Post by Henry Mon 20 Dec 2010, 13:53

Wasn't it -20 in some parts of England the other day? FFS!
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by krikri Mon 20 Dec 2010, 14:14

If you believe the trend in this graph that a friend sent me last night, then yes. (I have no idea about the validity of it)

Are we on the verge of a new ice age? Global_temp2
krikri
krikri

Number of posts : 399
Registration date : 2007-09-10
Flag/Background : afg

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 20 Dec 2010, 14:25

krikri wrote:If you believe the trend in this graph that a friend sent me last night, then yes. (I have no idea about the validity of it)

If that graph is to be believed then our doubt anyone on this board has cause for concern, we'll be long gone by the time it happens, if it happens.

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Mon 20 Dec 2010, 14:26

Even Smerk?
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Mon 20 Dec 2010, 21:20

Didn't any of you see The Day After Tomorrow? The terminal ice age in that movie came on in a matter of weeks And we all know that was based on fact. We're Doomed! Dooooooomed, I say.

Hopefully Australia will win back the Ashes before the big freeze sets in, so we can hold them forever. Or for at least the next 60,000 years if that graph is to be believed.

Zat

Number of posts : 28872
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Mon 20 Dec 2010, 21:47

Henry wrote:Wasn't it -20 in some parts of England the other day? FFS!

True - and it was -10c here at 9am today, but all this talk about a new ice age is just bollocks as far as I'm concerned. This may (repeat may) turn out to the third colder than average winter on the trot, but so what? Before that we had umpteen mild winters where we scarecly had so much as a frost.

Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15936

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Mon 20 Dec 2010, 21:49

Rampant Global Warming v Rampant Advancing Ice Age. It'll all even out in the end. tongue-out
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105986
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Mon 20 Dec 2010, 21:53

Basil wrote:This may (repeat may) turn out to the third colder than average winter on the trot
I think it would have to be sunbathing weather throughout January and February to get it back up to average!

It obviously goes in mini-cycles though which people see as long term trends. As I read during last year's big freeze, apparently in the 80s they were talking about a new ice age and pollution "blocking out the sun". I thought my memories of a lot of snow when I was young were just down to selective memory but there were clearly a lot of severe winters back then. Whereas in the 90s and 00s it got to the stage where a dusting of snow that actually settled was an occasion to get the camera out! Now we've gone back the other way, and it will clearly last until whichever year our government decides to invest heavily in snow ploughs etc. at which point they will sit in a shed unused for 20 years.

beamer

Number of posts : 15399

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Mon 20 Dec 2010, 22:17

Zat wrote:Didn't any of you see The Day After Tomorrow? The terminal ice age in that movie came on in a matter of weeks And we all know that was based on fact. We're Doomed! Dooooooomed, I say.

As one of those movies that I've definitely seen but went in one ear and out the other, I vaguely remember the "terminal ice age" only lasting until Dennis Quaid heroically "saved" his son - who doing all right on his own, to be fair. Hooked up with a chick as well.

Anyway, then the cold seemed to pass for some reason. I don't know why.

So, we shouldn't worry too much.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Number of posts : 26195
Registration date : 2007-08-03
Flag/Background : fra

http://www.flamingbails.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Mon 20 Dec 2010, 22:19

krikri wrote:If you believe the trend in this graph that a friend sent me last night, then yes. (I have no idea about the validity of it)

Who knew the thermometer was invented 425,000 years ago?
LeFromage
LeFromage

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Mon 20 Dec 2010, 22:48

Dello wrote:
Zat wrote:Didn't any of you see The Day After Tomorrow? The terminal ice age in that movie came on in a matter of weeks And we all know that was based on fact. We're Doomed! Dooooooomed, I say.

As one of those movies that I've definitely seen but went in one ear and out the other, I vaguely remember the "terminal ice age" only lasting until Dennis Quaid heroically "saved" his son - who doing all right on his own, to be fair. Hooked up with a chick as well.

Anyway, then the cold seemed to pass for some reason. I don't know why.

So, we shouldn't worry too much.
Well, those clever boffins at the UN need to make sure Mr Quaid is kept safe somewhere if this does turn into an ice age...

Zat

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Mon 20 Dec 2010, 22:50

Keep him in a fridge. That'd be the last place the evil freeze would look for him.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Mon 20 Dec 2010, 22:53

The evil Freeze...
Are we on the verge of a new ice age? Arnold-dr-freeze

Zat

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Mon 20 Dec 2010, 22:58

God, talking about abysmal movies...

The only film I've ever walked out of.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 20 Dec 2010, 23:18

Arnie's cold puns definately fall into the "so bad it's good" category:

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Mon 20 Dec 2010, 23:34

Dello wrote:God, talking about abysmal movies...

The only film I've ever walked out of.
I didn't see it.

Zat

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Tue 21 Dec 2010, 00:20

Saved yourself £5 (or whatever that is in Aussie Drongos or whatever your Monopoly currency is) and two hours of life.

You win.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Back to top Go down

Post by Mick Sawyer Tue 21 Dec 2010, 08:40

Aussie Drongos

chuckle > chortle > snorfle
Mick Sawyer
Mick Sawyer

Number of posts : 7267
Registration date : 2007-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Tue 21 Dec 2010, 08:42

what's the exchange rate now ... how many drongos to the ponce?

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38127

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Tue 21 Dec 2010, 09:17

I bet the people who arrive at the ground and find that the 7 rows behind them are filled with the Barmy Army wish it was 1 pound to the $A. Just how much "Bomby Ommy, Bomby Ommy, Bomby Ommy" can one take?
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Tue 21 Dec 2010, 09:21

Do you feel any sympathy for the alcohol-poisoned, brain-dead yobbos in the BA who were getting $3 to the pound last Ashes who this time are getting around half that? And they can only drink light beer. In plastic cups.

Zat

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Tue 21 Dec 2010, 09:23

I hope not. Ice Age 3 was crap.
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Tue 21 Dec 2010, 09:59

Zat wrote:Do you feel any sympathy for the alcohol-poisoned, brain-dead yobbos in the BA who were getting $3 to the pound last Ashes who this time are getting around half that? And they can only drink light beer. In plastic cups.
Erm, that would be "no". Cool
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next