Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are we on the verge of a new ice age?

+11
Jontyh
taipan
lardbucket
Mick Sawyer
LeFromage
beamer
skully
Zat
krikri
Basil
Henry
15 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Are we on the verge of a new ice age? - Page 3 Empty Re: Are we on the verge of a new ice age?

Post by Mick Sawyer Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:48 am

Growler wrote:Thats a fair comment Jonts boozin

I must admit I've had some excellent steins of lager in Germany, among other places. But I must confess to being a real ale man in Britain - or bitter if there's only keg beer. Mind you, as I get older I can't shovel it down as I did in my early 20's.

As a young singly aero engineer who played rugby at prop forward, I could drink for England - but when I got married I virtually stopped altogether. In truth, the ale was starting to boss me. When my marriage crashed, I moved back into barrack accommodation on base. In my late 30s I had plenty of hobbies & interests, and wasn't into getting bladdered every night with the sproggy youths. If I did join them, I'd have a quiet couple - and inevitably get called a lightweight, boring old f@rt

Every few months though, we'd have a do - whether it was xmas draw, summer bbq, or just a few lads posted out putting £50 behind the bar. The bosses and older lads who'd known me for years would ask if I was "playing tonight". If I smiled, they knew they were in for some entertainment ..... as, later on, two or three of us oldies would join the young guns, and go pint for pint with 'em.

You can see the problem they had? Normally they were in the bar when it opened at 7 ...... by closing time at 11, they'd had their fill & ready for bed. Uh-hoh, we started at 4, and by 8 o'clock, when the kids were flagging, we old bastards were getting going Very Happy. They couldn't leave, of course - not with beers lined up on the table. By the time the fun was over, one or two were being helped back, honking & barfing - the others in only slightly better condition.

Strangely enough, if I asked them a week or two later if they fancied a pint - they were always having to wash their dog, or some such valid reason for staying in .....

Onya Growler. Great story.
Mick Sawyer
Mick Sawyer

Number of posts : 7267
Registration date : 2007-09-11
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Are we on the verge of a new ice age? - Page 3 Empty Re: Are we on the verge of a new ice age?

Post by Growler Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:52 am

cheers Mick

I'd love to swap a few more with yourself and others one day if I ever get chance to visit Aus
Growler
Growler

Are we on the verge of a new ice age? - Page 3 MPDozzd

Number of posts : 2286
Registration date : 2007-10-14
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by Mick Sawyer Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:58 am

Growler wrote:cheers Mick

I'd love to swap a few more with yourself and others one day if I ever get chance to visit Aus

All loose change into a big money box. That's how I vindicate making a booking ........ "See, I've saved all this....."

Look forward to the day we sit down mate.
Mick Sawyer
Mick Sawyer

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:47 am

Jebus, MS and Growls at the Normanby sounds like a recipe for disaster. Shocked Cool
skully
skully

Number of posts : 106012
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Growler Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:59 am

and why would that be, Herr Skullmeister ?
Growler
Growler

Are we on the verge of a new ice age? - Page 3 MPDozzd

Number of posts : 2286
Registration date : 2007-10-14
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by Mick Sawyer Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:08 am

skully wrote:Jebus, MS and Growls at the Normanby sounds like a recipe for disaster. Shocked Cool

aye, partcularly if we're following Woody.
Mick Sawyer
Mick Sawyer

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:16 am

What's your pub of choice near the SCG? Captain Cook?
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891

Back to top Go down

Post by G.Wood Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:29 am

Growler wrote:and why would that be, Herr Skullmeister ?

The Normanby is just evil - in my experience you either end up losing your phone, your pants, both or wake up on a work bench in some strangers garage
G.Wood
G.Wood

Number of posts : 12070
Registration date : 2007-09-07
Flag/Background : none

Back to top Go down

Post by Mick Sawyer Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:33 am

G.Wood wrote:

The Normanby is just evil - in my experience you either end up losing your phone, your pants, both or wake up on a work bench in some strangers garage

............ sound of coins dropping into Growler 's brand new money box ..................
Mick Sawyer
Mick Sawyer

Back to top Go down

Post by G.Wood Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:37 am

aye - I don't know where skully got this disaster bit from. People pay big money to be entertained like that

Last edited by G.Wood on Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:39 am; edited 1 time in total
G.Wood
G.Wood

Number of posts : 12070
Registration date : 2007-09-07
Flag/Background : none

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:38 am

G.Wood wrote:

And he's not lying. Cool
skully
skully

Number of posts : 106012
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:50 pm

taipan wrote:
Growler wrote:
taipan wrote:Yeah was drinking PIls. Couldn't cotton to bitter last time around.

Bitter's very much an acquired taste , taips. There's such a variety - some are as pale as a lager, going through a straw colour, every shade of brown to the darkest ales which are almost black. The water, barley, malting house and hops are just 4 factors which affect the final brew, which is why there is such a difference between one and another.

Fair coment Growls, but a couple of weeks isn't long enough to acquire a taste. Basically the last time I was there was drinking whichever lager the house had. This might surprise the Aussies but Fosters wasn't bad on tap. Others I recall were Black Label and Skol. Remember us ignorant saffies require beer at under room temperature.

In addition, I might add i love this board. Where else could you go from a discussion of an imminent ice age to comparing various drinks without a stupid Mod sticking it;s head in.

There's a pub I use, which sells nothing other than authentic Austrian lager (Hainfelder) - nothing weaker than 5%. Sadly, the landlady's lease is due to expire soon - so that'll be another quality drinking establishment gone!
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15936
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3