Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are we on the verge of a new ice age?

+11
Jontyh
taipan
lardbucket
Mick Sawyer
LeFromage
beamer
skully
Zat
krikri
Basil
Henry
15 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Are we on the verge of a new ice age? - Page 2 Empty Re: Are we on the verge of a new ice age?

Post by Jontyh Tue 21 Dec 2010, 10:37

skully wrote:
Zat wrote:Do you feel any sympathy for the alcohol-poisoned, brain-dead yobbos in the BA who were getting $3 to the pound last Ashes who this time are getting around half that? And they can only drink light beer. In plastic cups.
Erm, that would be "no". Cool

The last Ashes would have required copious amounts of alcohol to blot out the humiliation, to be fair.
Jontyh
Jontyh

Are we on the verge of a new ice age? - Page 2 MPDozzd

Number of posts : 2257
Registration date : 2008-01-18
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Are we on the verge of a new ice age? - Page 2 Empty Re: Are we on the verge of a new ice age?

Post by taipan Tue 21 Dec 2010, 10:38

Jontyh wrote:
skully wrote:
Zat wrote:Do you feel any sympathy for the alcohol-poisoned, brain-dead yobbos in the BA who were getting $3 to the pound last Ashes who this time are getting around half that? And they can only drink light beer. In plastic cups.
Erm, that would be "no". Cool

The last Ashes would have required copious amounts of alcohol to blot out the humiliation, to be fair.

Aussie fans in England?
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by Jontyh Tue 21 Dec 2010, 10:41

Why would you need Aussie dollars in England? You c*ck.
Jontyh
Jontyh

Back to top Go down

Post by Jontyh Tue 21 Dec 2010, 10:43

Although I doubt the Aussie fans in England could afford to get that bladdered, the price of ale in our grounds..
Jontyh
Jontyh

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Tue 21 Dec 2010, 10:46

Getting pricy there Jonts?
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Jontyh Tue 21 Dec 2010, 11:43

I was at Old Trafford last summer for the Bangers game and I'm pretty sure it was nearly £4 a pint. For gnats piss.
Not unlike that Bud we had to drink at Soccer City!
Jontyh
Jontyh

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Tue 21 Dec 2010, 11:46

TBH, those Buds were not the worst I have drunk.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Hass Tue 21 Dec 2010, 11:48

Dello wrote:God, talking about abysmal movies...

The only film I've ever walked out of.

I considered walking out of the cinema and I didn't. I still regret not doing so.

Hass

Number of posts : 2401
Registration date : 2007-09-10
Flag/Background : nsw

Back to top Go down

Post by The One Tue 21 Dec 2010, 11:56

it is getting ridiculous. the temperature went down to 14 degrees yesterday, which is unheard of

The One

Number of posts : 9035
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Tue 21 Dec 2010, 11:58

You guys have no idea of what you are talking about. The ice age was when I was in my teens. If you had met some of the chicks I took out.....
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Jontyh Tue 21 Dec 2010, 11:59

taipan wrote:TBH, those Buds were not the worst I have drunk.

Yeah, but it was annoying you couldn't get a Saffie brew - or any other kind for that matter - because of Budweiser's hegemony over the whole tournament.
Seppo beer is pish.
Jontyh
Jontyh

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Tue 21 Dec 2010, 12:02

Which ones were you drinking outsdie the stadiums?
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Jontyh Tue 21 Dec 2010, 12:10

The only one I remember from the lodge we stayed at was Castle beer, though I'm sure there were others.
And it was a sight better than Bud.
Jontyh
Jontyh

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Tue 21 Dec 2010, 12:12

Castle isn't bad. Can get a touch fresh this time of year.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Jontyh Tue 21 Dec 2010, 12:20

Most countries' ale suffers in the summer in my experience. People glug more because of the weather so the brewers can sometimes rush it out. I was there in (your) winter, so no such pitfalls.

I have to say I quaffed some quality reds from the Stellenbosch - astoundingly good stuff.
Jontyh
Jontyh

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Tue 21 Dec 2010, 12:26

Jontyh wrote:Most countries' ale suffers in the summer in my experience. People glug more because of the weather so the brewers can sometimes rush it out. I was there in (your) winter, so no such pitfalls.

I have to say I quaffed some quality reds from the Stellenbosch - astoundingly good stuff.

Yep, that's the problem.

Not a wine drinker but I believe SA's wines are underrated.

Had some pretty good beers in Germany last month
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Jontyh Tue 21 Dec 2010, 12:44

I think perhaps lesser known than underrated - not helped by years in the vineous wilderness during the Apartheid period. I believe the industry's recovered well, though.

Germany and Belgium consistently make the finest pilsner beers; the best ales (like bitters and stout) are from England and Ireland, in my opinion.
Jontyh
Jontyh

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Tue 21 Dec 2010, 12:49

Yeah was drinking PIls. Couldn't cotton to bitter last time around.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by The One Tue 21 Dec 2010, 14:06

in a way we are lucky saffie wines are under-rated. you can get some pretty good deals on them. same with german wines

used to be the same with some of the better aussie wines. now they are competing with some of the old world wines in price

The One

Number of posts : 9035

Back to top Go down

Post by Jontyh Tue 21 Dec 2010, 14:29

Agreed, though I find the best deals on reds under a tenner to be on Chilean ones at the moment. They usually have a high alcohol content to cope with the tannins and acid that make similarly young French wines, say, too astringent.
Or so my brother, who considers himself in the know about such things, tells me.
Jontyh
Jontyh

Back to top Go down

Post by Growler Tue 21 Dec 2010, 15:02

taipan wrote:Yeah was drinking PIls. Couldn't cotton to bitter last time around.

Bitter's very much an acquired taste , taips. There's such a variety - some are as pale as a lager, going through a straw colour, every shade of brown to the darkest ales which are almost black. The water, barley, malting house and hops are just 4 factors which affect the final brew, which is why there is such a difference between one and another.
Growler
Growler

Number of posts : 2286
Registration date : 2007-10-13
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by Jontyh Tue 21 Dec 2010, 15:38

Sounds like you've done some extensive research, G..!
Jontyh
Jontyh

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Tue 21 Dec 2010, 18:08

Growler wrote:
taipan wrote:Yeah was drinking PIls. Couldn't cotton to bitter last time around.

Bitter's very much an acquired taste , taips. There's such a variety - some are as pale as a lager, going through a straw colour, every shade of brown to the darkest ales which are almost black. The water, barley, malting house and hops are just 4 factors which affect the final brew, which is why there is such a difference between one and another.

Fair coment Growls, but a couple of weeks isn't long enough to acquire a taste. Basically the last time I was there was drinking whichever lager the house had. This might surprise the Aussies but Fosters wasn't bad on tap. Others I recall were Black Label and Skol. Remember us ignorant saffies require beer at under room temperature.

In addition, I might add i love this board. Where else could you go from a discussion of an imminent ice age to comparing various drinks without a stupid Mod sticking it;s head in.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Growler Wed 22 Dec 2010, 00:37

Thats a fair comment Jonts boozin

I must admit I've had some excellent steins of lager in Germany, among other places. But I must confess to being a real ale man in Britain - or bitter if there's only keg beer. Mind you, as I get older I can't shovel it down as I did in my early 20's.

As a young singly aero engineer who played rugby at prop forward, I could drink for England - but when I got married I virtually stopped altogether. In truth, the ale was starting to boss me. When my marriage crashed, I moved back into barrack accommodation on base. In my late 30s I had plenty of hobbies & interests, and wasn't into getting bladdered every night with the sproggy youths. If I did join them, I'd have a quiet couple - and inevitably get called a lightweight, boring old f@rt

Every few months though, we'd have a do - whether it was xmas draw, summer bbq, or just a few lads posted out putting £50 behind the bar. The bosses and older lads who'd known me for years would ask if I was "playing tonight". If I smiled, they knew they were in for some entertainment ..... as, later on, two or three of us oldies would join the young guns, and go pint for pint with 'em.

You can see the problem they had? Normally they were in the bar when it opened at 7 ...... by closing time at 11, they'd had their fill & ready for bed. Uh-hoh, we started at 4, and by 8 o'clock, when the kids were flagging, we old bastards were getting going Very Happy. They couldn't leave, of course - not with beers lined up on the table. By the time the fun was over, one or two were being helped back, honking & barfing - the others in only slightly better condition.

Strangely enough, if I asked them a week or two later if they fancied a pint - they were always having to wash their dog, or some such valid reason for staying in .....
Growler
Growler

Number of posts : 2286
Registration date : 2007-10-13
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Wed 22 Dec 2010, 00:41

taipan wrote:You guys have no idea of what you are talking about. The ice age was when I was in my teens. If you had met some of the chicks I took out.....
So you took the girls out and got them hooked on ice? Ever thought of moving to Perth?

Zat

Number of posts : 28872

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next