Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

if you could expunge one player from your memory?

+14
Gary 111
LeFromage
JKLever
lardbucket
Brass Monkey
Big Dog
embee
JGK
taipan
Fred Nerk
skully
PeterCS
Henry
horace
18 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

if you could expunge one player from your memory? Empty if you could expunge one player from your memory?

Post by horace Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:41 am

opposite theme to the other thread

Australian - surprisingly from the vast selection of dud dubbers I would erase Gary Cosier from my memory banks - esp his maiden ton at the G...worst ton I have ever seen...made MTFTB's first ton look assured

Pomgolian - Barnacle Bailey or Tavare? both set cricket back

Bannies - Harby, overrated racist bully

Saffies - Cronje - captain corruption
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

if you could expunge one player from your memory? Empty Re: if you could expunge one player from your memory?

Post by Henry Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:50 am

That Saffie opener from the 90s- Liebenberg?? Awful, awful batsman.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

if you could expunge one player from your memory? Empty Re: if you could expunge one player from your memory?

Post by PeterCS Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:54 am

I'm afraid it would have to be Cronje. For ... errr, non-cricketing reasons.

Poor f***er no doubt let himself get trapped in a vicious spiral.

In cricketing terms, I might go along with Tavare' . Slow play is one thing (and there have been slower players.) But I associate CT with the most exasperatingly inept prods and snicks to the slips - catching practice. Summed up all that was most mediocre in the English cricket in that era. Hence the extravagant need to expunge, a bad dream.

Bailey has a bad rep in Aus, even a hated figure it seems. Killing the game with anti-cricket, etc. Yes he was slow - but as far as I know, in rearguard actions. (Monty at Cardiff x 5.) ~ And he was a decent bowler, and did actually wield a bat with skill on several occasions. Not at all in my "Room 101", in other words.

I might, however, want to put Terry Alderman through the trapdoor. That mincing runup like he had corns, gentle medium-fast, like a more lumbering version of Pidge, and jackpots of money for old rope with inept English batting. I exaggerate of course, good bowler no doubt - but these things are not about facts. But nightmares. And traumatic cricketing associations.

There are also a fair number of arses who are and have been in the game, but perhaps not worth the kicking.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:39 pm

Graham Yallop. Biggest cat to play the game and a Vile Vomit softc0ck to boot.

But seriously - Chuck. He made a mockery of the rules of the game, to the extent that they had to relax them to stop the subbie bloc from taking their bat and ball and not playing real cricket. And even with the rule changes, I still don't think he was anywhere near complying.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105969
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Nerk Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:37 pm

If Steve Kernahan was a poster on this site he'd probably say 'Steve Kernahan. His efforts in the Dean Jones-organised 'Dean Jones Testimonial' in Nov 94 had to be the worst public attempt at playing cricket ever seen.

Fred Nerk

Number of posts : 8816
Registration date : 2007-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:44 pm

PeterCS wrote:I'm afraid it would have to be Cronje. For ... errr, non-cricketing reasons.

Poor f***er no doubt let himself get trapped in a vicious spiral.

Strange the bannies and and Paks never get named in this regard.

For me, Kepler Wessels.
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:46 pm

For what Wessels did (or didn't do) for SAf cricket, taips? Or going to Aus?
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:49 pm

skully wrote:For what Wessels did (or didn't do) for SAf cricket, taips? Or going to Aus?

basically for anything he has done, but really for just being a total qunt. And you guys think Chappelli is nad.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:56 pm

Cheers. He left Aus in a bit of a sooky huff.

And I know Crappelli is a qunt.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:59 pm

skully wrote:Cheers. He left Aus in a bit of a sooky huff.

And I know Crappelli is a qunt.

Cos his CA contract wasn't renewed.

Wessels makes Chappelli look like Gandhi.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:56 pm

Chris Broad - FMD how did he score so many runs against us?

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:59 pm

sage...up there with Luckhurst
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:11 pm

And Richard Farking Ellison

JGK

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:16 pm

Richard "I only had one good series in my Test career, but I farked the Aussies proper in 85" Ellison. Mad

And that other neville Tim Robinson also came out of nowhere in 85 to monster us.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:19 pm

3/5 of a good series
embee
embee

Number of posts : 26215
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:19 pm

it was the talentless that did well for one series (esp against us)...often poms...there are few windies I would expunge from my memory banks...
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Dog Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:31 pm

JGK wrote:And Richard Farking Ellison

Ellison was a much underated bowler imho. I saw him a few times in his injury shortened season with Tas & he looked very useful.
Big Dog
Big Dog

Number of posts : 16498
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : tig

http://bigdog.bigblog.com.au/index.do

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Dog Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:32 pm

...as far as expunging goes.....Chris Matthews test career.......obvious.
Big Dog
Big Dog

Number of posts : 16498
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : tig

http://bigdog.bigblog.com.au/index.do

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:34 pm

Some things have already been expunged BD...

JGK

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:37 pm

embee wrote:3/5 of a good series
Actually 2/6. England had little success with Cowans, Allott, Foster, Sidebottom and Agnew in the first 4 Tests (Embers and Beefy did most damage), and went into the 5th Test with the series level at 1-1 (we held the Ashes). Ellison played in the final 2 Tests only and took 6-77, 4-27, 2-35 and 5-46 to see us smacked by an innings in T5 and T6. 17 wkts at 10.88, from a County dibbly dobbler FFS. Rolling Eyes
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:40 pm

knew it was bugger all ....and that our bats turned to mush when they saw him....soft qunts
embee
embee

Number of posts : 26215
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:43 pm

Aye. It was a good series (if a bit batter heavy) up until then, then we just fell in a heap and looked like we couldn't wait to get home (except for AB, of course).
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:48 pm

Other than Ellison, the big difference was obviously our inability to take wickets, espesh in the last 4 Tests. AB topped our averages with 66.33 but England more than countered with Fat Gatt 87.83, The Elegant Dandy 81.33, Neville Robinson 61.25 and Clem's bunny 54.11. Fat Cat on 42.20 was the only other Aussie to top 40 ave. Peter Willey with 39.00 did better than all our other bats, which notably included Lord Quntville, who other than 119 in the winning Test at Lords, did garque all.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Nerk Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:00 pm

At that World Championship of Cricket I picked out Ellison as their best bowler in the game that christened the MCG lights (we lost 3 quick wickets then Robbie Kerr and Dean Jones saw us home, both should have been in the Ashes squad even BEFORE the Sith Eff rebel tour fiasco blew up) so the only surprise was it took him so long (and then he disappeared so fast - I assumed he got injured).

But it was our bowling that was excremental that series, two blokes took wickets mostly with the second new ball and they were at each other's neck from Heathrow arrivals to Heathrow departures. The batting was at least mediocre.

Fred Nerk

Number of posts : 8816
Registration date : 2007-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:00 pm

Hmmm, maybe MacGill. I could hack one strine leggie running wild all over us, but not another. From my side, any one of MANY bias picks that were frankly pathetic and still can stir the bile in my stomach with their incredibly nepotistic & parochial nature.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next