Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Troll jailed for trolling

+3
Basil
PeterCS
Yorkie Jill
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Troll jailed for trolling Empty Troll jailed for trolling

Post by Guest Thu 13 Oct 2011, 18:06

Not sure if this has been posted yet but only just found it:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-14894576

Hmm....

Well, the guy was obviously a f**king dick and I don't agree for a minute with his actions, but to be jailed for it?

Pretty murky waters. I know we don't officially have freedom of speech the way that America has but I didn't think someone could get jailed for posting some insults on the internet.

Back to top Go down

Troll jailed for trolling Empty Re: Troll jailed for trolling

Post by Yorkie Jill Thu 13 Oct 2011, 18:09

where do you draw the line on 'taste' though. That's pretty sick, to say stuff about dead kids, compared to just making snarky remarks to other adults.
Yorkie Jill
Yorkie Jill

Troll jailed for trolling 7EoDRAk

Number of posts : 2520
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 13 Oct 2011, 18:11

It's completely f**ked up and despicable I agree. I just don't think it's worthy of jail time.

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Thu 13 Oct 2011, 18:13

I agree with Jill. "Trolling" is only the half of it. An insult added to injury.

Whether jail is the answer, lobotomy or community service, I am not sure.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 13 Oct 2011, 18:13

And where do you draw the line? Because there must be a line now if someone has gone to jail for it. At what point does an insult become a crime?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 13 Oct 2011, 18:15

PeterCS wrote:I agree with Jill. "Trolling" is only the half of it. An insult added to injury.

What seems mental to me is that the girl who committed suicide was apparently a victim of cyberbullying which was said to play a part in her tragic death, yet the kids who baited her in the first place didn't go to jail.

So it's acceptable to troll someone to the point of suicide but it's not acceptable to make fun of them after they are dead?

When I say "acceptable" I mean in terms of a jail sentence. Obviously it's sh!tty behaviour either way.

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Thu 13 Oct 2011, 18:20

vilkrang wrote:It's completely f**ked up and despicable I agree. I just don't think it's worthy of jail time.

Well, I'm glad he was sent down, and I hope he comes out with an a-hole the size of a jam donought.
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 16011

Back to top Go down

Post by Yorkie Jill Thu 13 Oct 2011, 18:25

vilkrang wrote:
PeterCS wrote:I agree with Jill. "Trolling" is only the half of it. An insult added to injury.

What seems mental to me is that the girl who committed suicide was apparently a victim of cyberbullying which was said to play a part in her tragic death, yet the kids who baited her in the first place didn't go to jail.

That is the awful part. Bet they had to talk to counsellors or something equally ineffectual.
Yorkie Jill
Yorkie Jill

Troll jailed for trolling 7EoDRAk

Number of posts : 2520

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 13 Oct 2011, 18:26

Basil wrote:
vilkrang wrote:It's completely f**ked up and despicable I agree. I just don't think it's worthy of jail time.

Well, I'm glad he was sent down, and I hope he comes out with an a-hole the size of a jam donought.
I'm not saying I like the guy ffs, I just think this sets a dangerous precedent.

And as an aside, if I were to die a tragic death I would hope my loved ones wouldn't set up a PUBLIC facebook memorial to me. There's a lot of f**kwads like this on the 'net.

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Thu 13 Oct 2011, 18:28

Perhaps the judge was taking a precedent from Eurolaw

In [Belgium], the crime of “calumnious denunciation” (Article 445) is punished with 15 days to six months in prison, plus a fine.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Thu 13 Oct 2011, 18:28

You do. You DO like the guy. Admit it, vilks.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 13 Oct 2011, 18:30

I think he's a fat f**king loser with no friends.

I just don't think he deserves to be jailed for being a dick.

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Thu 13 Oct 2011, 18:32

Nahhhhhh. I'm totally with vilks here. Despicably pernicious of the thunderqunt, but no. No way. No jail time for that sort of sh!t. A good shelling, maybe, but not bird.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Thu 13 Oct 2011, 18:33

I agree that the kids should also be called to account [pun?], on a separate basis.

The law seems presently less inclined to follow those up, though. Presumably because it might be harder to prove anything against any individual.

That's where Civics classes in schools should be taking a lead, to point out the reprehensibility and the responsibilities of cyberbullying in the first place.

Whereas the aggravated dickhead who has been briefly banged up seems to have been clearly and directly responsible for a definite offence against what we could simplify as truth and honour.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 13 Oct 2011, 18:39

Who defines "Truth and honour"? What if the definition changed over time and lesser acts were punishable by jail time?

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Thu 13 Oct 2011, 18:40

You'd be banged up with the keys thrown into the Pacific, and you'd be so far back inside they'd have to pump air in to you.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 13 Oct 2011, 18:42

In a few years time you'll be jailed for that. You've really hurt my feelings.

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Thu 13 Oct 2011, 18:45

Hold up, have I not read it right - did he goad her into suicide?
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Thu 13 Oct 2011, 18:45

"Honour" in the sense of a reasonable degree of respect and standing, and absence of unjustified contempt and hatred, in the community, and society at large.

I think this case of aggravated trolling (not merely "trolling" in a typical sense) is demonstrably a pretty heinous offence on those lines.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 13 Oct 2011, 18:46

Brass Monkey wrote:Hold up, have I not read it right - did he goad her into suicide?
Nope. The people who did that got fark all.

He mocked her and her family after she was dead.

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Thu 13 Oct 2011, 18:49

This lot says to me that the guy should be taken out of society, probably for a considerable time.

Whether jail is a way of dealing with Asperger's, I agree, quite possibly not. But you can't honestly, reasonably, let this go on and on and on, surely?

He had also posted offensive messages about Lauren Drew, 14, of Gloucestershire, who was found dead after suffering a suspected epileptic seizure, Hayley Bates, 16, of Staffordshire, who died in a car crash, and Jordan Cooper, 14, who was stabbed to death in Northumberland.

On Mother's Day he posted a message on an online memorial page to Lauren reading: "Help me mummy, it's hot in hell".

Duffy also produced an image of Hayley with crosses on her eyes and red marks on her face. He also wrote explicit messages to Hayley's sister Heather.

The family of stabbing victim Jordan had also seen abusive messages directed at the youngster on an online memorial and a YouTube video defacing an image of the teenager.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 13 Oct 2011, 18:50

PeterCS wrote:"Honour" in the sense of a reasonable degree of respect and standing, and absence of unjustified contempt and hatred, in the community, and society at large.

I think this case of aggravated trolling (not merely "trolling" in a typical sense) is demonstrably a pretty heinous offence on those lines.
Again, who defines it?

Everything in that post could be twisted quite easily to suit a much lesser offence than the jizz stain who is in jail commited.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 13 Oct 2011, 18:53

PeterCS wrote:This lot says to me that the guy should be taken out of society, probably for a considerable time.

Whether jail is a way of dealing with Asperger's, I agree, quite possibly not. But you can't honestly, reasonably, let this go on and on and on, surely?

He had also posted offensive messages about Lauren Drew, 14, of Gloucestershire, who was found dead after suffering a suspected epileptic seizure, Hayley Bates, 16, of Staffordshire, who died in a car crash, and Jordan Cooper, 14, who was stabbed to death in Northumberland.

On Mother's Day he posted a message on an online memorial page to Lauren reading: "Help me mummy, it's hot in hell".

Duffy also produced an image of Hayley with crosses on her eyes and red marks on her face. He also wrote explicit messages to Hayley's sister Heather.

The family of stabbing victim Jordan had also seen abusive messages directed at the youngster on an online memorial and a YouTube video defacing an image of the teenager.
I'm playing devils advocate a bit here Petey because I do think the guy is a tosser and personally no, I wouldn't want to see this sort of behaviour continuing.

It just seems quite hard to legislate against when it's impossible to quantify the scale of such an offence. It also goes completely against my views on free speech.

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Thu 13 Oct 2011, 18:54

I'm not sure it can be twisted that far.

"Honour" killing is a travesty of any civil society conception of honour, for example - and a contradiction in terms by anything but headtwistedly fundamentalist religious-moral principles.

PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Thu 13 Oct 2011, 18:59

vilkrang wrote:
PeterCS wrote:This lot says to me that the guy should be taken out of society, probably for a considerable time.

I'm playing devils advocate a bit here Petey because I do think the guy is a tosser and personally no, I wouldn't want to see this sort of behaviour continuing.

It just seems quite hard to legislate against when it's impossible to quantify the scale of such an offence. It also goes completely against my views on free speech.

No, I got that.

But free speech is never helpfully treated as an absolute. It is generally contingent on some concept of shared decency. Otherwise you have incitement to murder, incitement to violence, incitement to hatred, defamation, malicious gossip, etc. etc. all blessed by civil society.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next