Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aus Federal Politics thread (XII)

+12
Paul Keating
Fred Nerk
lardbucket
taipan
skully
Big Dog
Blackadder
Ethics? The Gall!
JGK
embee
Bradman
horace
16 posters

Page 2 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next

Go down

Aus Federal Politics thread (XII) - Page 2 Empty Re: Aus Federal Politics thread (XII)

Post by skully Thu 25 Feb 2016, 04:48

horace wrote:Fun tomorrow with the lib preselections in NSW. Wonder if  Bronny will hang on?

There's 4 Libs haggling over Ruddock's seat (my local Fed Electorate). I haven't heard of any of them.

Bronny's seat is far more interesting. She hasn't yet pulled out and Dick Smith is on the wireless regularly slagging her.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105983
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Aus Federal Politics thread (XII) - Page 2 Empty Re: Aus Federal Politics thread (XII)

Post by JGK Thu 25 Feb 2016, 06:01

skully wrote:
horace wrote:Fun tomorrow with the lib preselections in NSW. Wonder if  Bronny will hang on?

There's 4 Libs haggling over Ruddock's seat (my local Fed Electorate). I haven't heard of any of them.

Bronny's seat is far more interesting. She hasn't yet pulled out and Dick Smith is on the wireless regularly slagging her.

I had to read that a few times before I saw the "and".

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Thu 25 Feb 2016, 06:04

JGK wrote:
skully wrote:

I had to read that a few times before I saw the "and".

And you misread the second last word?
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Thu 25 Feb 2016, 06:05

Meanwhile, it's taken 2 weeks but it looks like MT has finally be reading my posts here and other places.  His comment today in QT:

What his policy is very clear about is that net rental losses can be offset against investment income. And the only people with very large – very large levels of investment income are obviously wealthier Australians.

So the consequence would be, as I said earlier, that a person with, say, an income of $90,000 under Labor’s plan would not be able to claim a net rental loss of $10,000, but somebody on a much higher income with, say $50,000 of income from dividends or interest on bonds, investment income, would be able to offset a much higher net rental loss against that.

Now, it’s up to the Labor party to explain why that is good policy, or why that is equitable. But on the face of it, Mr Speaker, I think most Australians would see that –would perceive that as being extremely discriminatory and benefitting disadvantaging the hundreds of thousands of people on middle incomes who are deducting net rental losses, disadvantaging them while leaving the deduction available to those on very high investment incomes.

JGK

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Thu 25 Feb 2016, 08:21

Typical scribbled-hastily-on-the-back-of-a-pub-napkin policy formulation by the Pinkos. They did policy-on-the-run for 6 oh-so-painful years under Krudd-Vulture-Krudd, so why would Shortarse be any different?
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Thu 25 Feb 2016, 08:53

Bit like the blowhard cracks at China over the S China Sea in the Defence White Paper. Our bullying and greedy claims against E Timor would have been noticed by others, inc China.
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackadder Fri 26 Feb 2016, 07:13

Embattled Turnbull government MP Mal Brough is quitting politics after his involvement in the Peter Slipper affair put an early end to his return to the frontbench.

Mr Brough stood aside from the ministry in December and was dropped altogether this month amid an ongoing Australian Federal Police investigation into his role in allegedly procuring copies of the official diaries of Mr Slipper, the former Speaker.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/government-mp-mal-brough-quits-politics-20160226-gn4dv1.html#ixzz41FvId2qI
Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

snoopy-dance cheers

Blackadder

Aus Federal Politics thread (XII) - Page 2 ZY4L4DZ

Number of posts : 3959
Registration date : 2008-12-27
Flag/Background : nsw

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Fri 26 Feb 2016, 07:18

He should never have been endorsed once his role in the Slipper mess was apparent.

JGK

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Fri 26 Feb 2016, 07:55

Funny if he's the one who does time
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Mon 29 Feb 2016, 02:09

Now this would be hella grouse:

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/feb/29/tony-windsor-could-beat-barnaby-joyce-in-new-england-seat-poll-says

JGK

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Mon 29 Feb 2016, 03:45

Hehehe...that would put the LA into hella grouse....would even rival the humiliation of ljh.
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Mon 29 Feb 2016, 04:22

Maybe Barnaby will jump somewhere else again, or back to the Senate. No reason your deputy PM can't be in the Senate.
Bradman
Bradman

Number of posts : 17402
Registration date : 2008-08-13
Flag/Background : war

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Mon 29 Feb 2016, 04:31

JGK wrote:Meanwhile, it's taken 2 weeks but it looks like MT has finally be reading my posts here and other places.  His comment today in QT:

What his policy is very clear about is that net rental losses can be offset against investment income. And the only people with very large – very large levels of investment income are obviously wealthier Australians.

So the consequence would be, as I said earlier, that a person with, say, an income of $90,000 under Labor’s plan would not be able to claim a net rental loss of $10,000, but somebody on a much higher income with, say $50,000 of income from dividends or interest on bonds, investment income, would be able to offset a much higher net rental loss against that.

Now, it’s up to the Labor party to explain why that is good policy, or why that is equitable. But on the face of it, Mr Speaker, I think most Australians would see that –would perceive that as being extremely discriminatory and benefitting disadvantaging the hundreds of thousands of people on middle incomes who are deducting net rental losses, disadvantaging them while leaving the deduction available to those on very high investment incomes.

Gotta say after further reading (like you can't go two pages without a story on it anywhere) I'm in the Adam Creighton/Saul Eastlake camp on this. NG is bad.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Mon 29 Feb 2016, 04:37

Oz over invests in housing. This has diverted investment from something approx value add. Time for correction, irrespective of tax treatment.
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Mon 29 Feb 2016, 04:37

So you are as wrong about it as they are.

JGK

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Mon 29 Feb 2016, 04:47

Well one has to get off the fence and have some skin in the game.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Mon 29 Feb 2016, 04:49

NG is bad

no NG is worse

and scrapping NG is ****** stupid
embee
embee

Number of posts : 26217
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Mon 29 Feb 2016, 05:00

I meant bad for the economy, not for individuals. Probably very good for a lot of people.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Mon 29 Feb 2016, 10:01

Short term pain
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Mon 29 Feb 2016, 10:26

horace wrote:Short term pain

Are you talking about Bill Shorten?
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Mon 29 Feb 2016, 19:18

skully wrote:
horace wrote:Short term pain

Are you talking about Bill Shorten?

No. I don't think about him let alone talk about the dill.

Btw, the MM is in the Oz today railing about social engineering in schools. The same duffer put religious purveyors of nonsense in schools wasting hundreds of millions in the process.
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Mon 29 Feb 2016, 19:27

PM Fauntleroy might fart through silk but at least he is not a delusional religious maniac. Sadly Treasurer ScuMo is and the chaplains program will not be gutted in the Budget.
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Tue 01 Mar 2016, 00:59

Ye Gods...

Glenn Lazarus picks State of Origin opponent as member of senate team

THE AUSTRALIAN
MARCH 1, 2016 10:40AM
Jared Owens

Independent senator Glenn Lazarus has drafted his former Brisbane Broncos teammate Kerrod Walters as an upper-house candidate for this year’s election, further demolishing the barrier between politics and sport.

The recruitment of Mr Walters, a member of rugby league royalty, is a coup for Senator Lazarus who last March abandoned Clive Palmer to launch the Glenn Lazarus Team – a populist, sport-themed party with a maroon, football-shaped logo.

Mr Walters and his two brothers, Steve and Kevin, have all won multiple rugby league premierships and represented Queensland and Australia.

Senator Lazarus described Mr Walters as a “bloody good bloke” who would look out for Queensland’s best interests.

“Kerrod is a Queensland and Australian sporting icon, a family man, a community man, a businessman and more importantly he was my roomie for many years and he made good coffee when I told him to.

Mr Walters, who lives on Queensland’s Sunshine Coast, worked in real estate after concluding his rugby league career and now operates a commercial cleaning business.

He acknowledged he would make an unusual senator, lacking expertise in law or economics.

“Like Glenn, football gave me the greatest understanding of what it took to be successful; the rewards that come with persistence, determination and a winning attitude. It taught me the importance of being part of a culture that put teamwork about everything else,” he said in Canberra.

“It also taught me the harsh lessons of reality when the dream of over and you’re back in the real world. The screaming fans are gone, but the bills just keep coming in without the income to support it.

“I understand the challenges that Queenslanders face every day trying to figure out how to make ends meet, pay the mortgage and put food on the table.”

Mr Walters faces an uphill battle to win public office, relying on his high public profile and Senator Lazarus’s populist approach to public policy.

“Kerrod, like me, is passionate about Queensland and wants to ensure our state has a bigger voice in the federal parliament,” Senator Lazarus said.

“While our state remains in drought, farmers are being decimated by coal-seam gas mining, unemployment is worsening, our health care system is falling apart and the cost of living is on the rise, there is much to do to help the people of Queensland.”

Senator Lazarus is not scheduled to face re-election until 2019. In a double-dissolution, he would take first place on the party’s Senate ticket.

JGK

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Tue 01 Mar 2016, 03:00

Hahaha...head knocks. They are a monty. Get on Mf K
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Tue 01 Mar 2016, 04:39

Dear God. Shocked
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next