Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aus Federal Politics thread (XII)

+12
Paul Keating
Fred Nerk
lardbucket
taipan
skully
Big Dog
Blackadder
Ethics? The Gall!
JGK
embee
Bradman
horace
16 posters

Page 31 of 40 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 35 ... 40  Next

Go down

Aus Federal Politics thread (XII) - Page 31 Empty Re: Aus Federal Politics thread (XII)

Post by Red Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:36 pm

skully wrote:
Red wrote:
skully wrote:Why would people leave private health cover if the Medicare Levy goes up?? You avoid the 1.5% Medicare Surcharge Levy if you have private health cover. For me it's much cheaper to have Basic Hospital Cover and not pay the additional 1.5% surcharge.

Agree with this, and it works for me, but there is also a proposal to abandon surcharge exemptions, i.e. those who pay private health insurance would also be subject to this charge. If they adopt this (the theory being it targets higher income earners more), people will drop out because there is no longer a financial incentive to take out private health insurance.  The surcharge is unfair anyway because people are already paying Medicare charges according to their income. Given a lot of people minimise their taxable income below the threshold to avoid this (negative gearing etc.), there is an unfair burden on many PAYE taxpayers.

Thanks for the clarification. I probably wouldn't have posted originally if you'd included the bit about the Medicare surcharge.

The whispered proposal some months ago apparently* (dunno if it's still on ScoMo's books) was removing the claim to the surcharge for families earning over $180,000 and individuals over $90,000. Where do the majority of PAYE taxpayers sit?

Quite a few would fall within this range, but quite a few below.

It does seem unfair though in that the Medicare levy is not a regressive tax so people are already paying according to income.

After Howard introduced the surcharge, he didn't index it for years and it caught many who were not earning a king's ransom.

In some ways you could argue that once people are already contributing to Medicare according to their income, the rest of their salary should be discretionary.

As mentioned above, some with creative accountants, can minimise their income to below the surcharge threshold which reinforces inequity. I know this happens because some of my colleagues have done it.
Red
Red

Number of posts : 17071
Registration date : 2007-10-28
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Aus Federal Politics thread (XII) - Page 31 Empty Re: Aus Federal Politics thread (XII)

Post by embee Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:43 pm

Aus Federal Politics thread (XII) - Page 31 18118592_1823470814640841_2704184077421227382_n
embee
embee

Number of posts : 26204
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:20 pm

Possibly one of sagest voter analyses I've seen.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105931
Registration date : 2007-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:57 pm

skully wrote:Possibly one of sagest voter analyses I've seen.

See, you really are an ALP voter.

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:24 pm

Predictable lame comeback from the Crazy Banking Pinko Enigma.

My immediate thought was "Banker - Tosser - same thing". Wink
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:38 pm

Something to cheer MrK up...

Aus Federal Politics thread (XII) - Page 31 Tumblr_o6fqi4oCpu1rzx2hho1_500
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Mon May 08, 2017 2:05 pm

Oh dear, Bill

"BILL Shorten’s attempt to spoil the Coalition’s budget with a new campaign ad appears to have backfired, with claims of racism now being levelled at the Labor Opposition leader.

In the ad, Mr Shorten talks about Labor’s plans to put “Australians first”. To hammer home the point, he stands in front of a group of mildly irritated looking people who are all, presumably, Australians. With the exception of one Asian woman, every one of them is white.

The new ad is turning into Labor’s “Oscars so white,” moment, generating online backlash and forcing a review of the ad.

Mr Shorten has slammed the racism claim as “rubbish” — but he’s not entirely chuffed about the video either.

Even his own colleagues have waved the white flag on the ad fail.

“Anyone who sees it will know exactly what’s wrong with it,” senior Labor MP Anthony Albanese told reporters in Canberra today, calling the ad “a shocker”."

---------------------------------------

So how did the ad get approved. Shirly Shortarse must've greenlighted it before it aired. What a dill.

And this on the back of Sam Dastyari's "This is what $1M will buy you in Sydney" sledge on Faecesbook of a bunch of people's homes across the suburbs. It features the little helal chappy standing out the front of various homes saying "not much". It has him being labelled a crass property snob.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Mon May 08, 2017 2:13 pm

Idiot Pinkos.

JGK

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Mon May 08, 2017 2:28 pm

always preferred to land bank than actual real estate but I do wish I'd bought some shitboxes in south shitville Sydney twenty years ago.
Bradman
Bradman

Number of posts : 17402
Registration date : 2008-08-13
Flag/Background : war

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Mon May 08, 2017 2:36 pm

I sense the inevitable challenge from Albanese is gathering momentum.

Shorten is the liability that may lose Labor the otherwise unloseable next Federal election. It should be a walkover against Turnbull or Morrison or whichever unfortunate is handed that chalice in the shadows of the next poll, but the potato-headed Shorten remains a valuable asset to the coalition. If Albanese knifes him, look out for the biggest landslide Labor win of all time.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
116 - 9 - 400 - 4

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38091
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Mon May 08, 2017 2:51 pm

T[b][b][

The same polls will keep bill in the job and apart from an Andrews brain fade he'd already have mals
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Mon May 08, 2017 3:56 pm

Bradman wrote:always preferred to land bank than actual real estate but I do wish I'd bought some shitboxes in south shitville Sydney twenty years ago.

Aye. My lady partner is quite a savvy little investor and has gathered an impressive real estate portfolio. She is spewing she didn't pick up a unit (or 2) in Hornsby 12-15 years ago when they were going for $250K-ish. You now can't get anything under $700K. To diversify (she has 2 units in the Summer Hill area - they have tripled in value) she went for properties in Qld, which simply haven't had anywhere near the steroid-boosted growth that Sydney has.

lardbucket wrote:I sense the inevitable challenge from Albanese is gathering momentum.

Shorten is the liability that may lose Labor the otherwise unloseable next Federal election. It should be a walkover against Turnbull or Morrison or whichever unfortunate is handed that chalice in the shadows of the next poll, but the potato-headed Shorten remains a valuable asset to the coalition. If Albanese knifes him, look out for the biggest landslide Labor win of all time.

I'm frankly amazed Albo hasn't put his hand up by now.  I agree illiterate and smug Shortarse is the only thing between the Libs and oblivion at the next Fed election.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Dog Mon May 08, 2017 5:00 pm

Bill should just tell all these politically correct wankers to go f@ck themselves.
Big Dog
Big Dog

Number of posts : 16498
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : tig

http://bigdog.bigblog.com.au/index.do

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Mon May 08, 2017 11:27 pm

ad would have been deliberately designed for the poor white demographic....

Agree shortpants is woeful. under the post Rudd rules Albo cant challenge.
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Mon May 08, 2017 11:28 pm

I see dog Latham is joining the Lib Dems (Lejonazi's crew)
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Sat May 13, 2017 1:23 am

Aus Federal Politics thread (XII) - Page 31 18422311_611985815664347_4393863164495871903_o
embee
embee

Number of posts : 26204
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Sat May 13, 2017 8:13 am

Hehehe, noice.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Wed May 17, 2017 9:45 am

What is going on?

"HALF of the illegal boat people the Coalition Government tried to kick out of Australia have been saved by the Administrative Appeals Tribunal overturning the deportation decision.

That’s despite the Immigration Department finding the 20 fake asylum seekers lied on their visa applications by saying they were at risk of being killed or persecuted if they returned to their own countries. Figures obtained by the Herald Sun reveal the Immigration Department attempted to deport 40 boat people who were granted protection visas under the previous Labor government.

All 40 appealed to the AAT and the AAT overturned the ministerial deportation decisions in 20 cases. Countries those allowed to stay in Australia came from included Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan and Africa.

The Herald Sun has also discovered a Turkish drug dealer convicted five times, including for peddling commercial quantities of heroin, ice, ecstasy and cannabis, was allowed to remain in Australia after the AAT quashed a decision to deport him.

The lenient treatment of Ahmet Candemir late last month, despite minimal evidence to show he was committed to rehabilitation, came as Immigration Minister Peter Dutton launched a blistering attack against the tribunal and its leadership.
He took particular aim at the former president of the tribunal, Duncan Kerr, whose term expired on Monday.

“He was appointed either by (Kevin) Rudd or (Julia) Gillard, and his term is coming to an end in fact, and there will be a new appointment made ... it won’t be him I suspect,” Mr Dutton told 2GB radio."

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Is there any doubt that this Kerr clown is a Pinko stooge??

I note even Shortarse was in the media yesty saying enough is enough - if you are caught lying on a refugee claim, you're gone.

The Iranians who lied about threats to their lives even returned to Iran for holidays FFS.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Wed May 17, 2017 10:56 am

Gigs to the AAT are handed out like bikkies at a blood bank. You only have to have some expertise in any one of a wide variety of fields. Given they're state based I'd say there's probably a hundred or so part time members. Not too much luck required in drawing a couple of lefties on any given panel.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Wed May 17, 2017 11:15 am

Meanwhile the Guardian has published leaked policy papers about a graded cruelty system on Manus Is.

The system is designed to stream those found to be 'genuine' refugees from those assessed as not to move them all on.
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Wed May 17, 2017 11:48 am

Still, Dutton's comments are out of line. The Executive should not be attacking the Judiciary like that.

JGK

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Wed May 17, 2017 12:29 pm

Well the way is technically exec (I think) but yeah Kerr's a real judge and certainly the most experienced refugee law mind on the Federal bench.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Wed May 17, 2017 12:31 pm

Farking auto correct.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Wed May 17, 2017 3:35 pm

So MrK, are you outraged at the new bank levy?
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Wed May 17, 2017 4:43 pm

Not at all. It is a very good thing.

JGK

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 31 of 40 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 35 ... 40  Next