Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Celebrity Death List MMXVIII/The Death Thread 2018

+15
WideWally
taipan
Bradman
embee
Growler
Blackadder
MoH
lardbucket
Red
Fred Nerk
Big Dog
horace
JGK
OP Tipping
skully
19 posters

Page 11 of 34 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 22 ... 34  Next

Go down

Celebrity Death List MMXVIII/The Death Thread 2018 - Page 11 Empty Re: Celebrity Death List MMXVIII/The Death Thread 2018

Post by Bradman Wed 31 Jan 2018, 03:19

skully wrote:Unfortch ego is a prerequisite for these positions of power, h. Without these look-at-me merchants we would have no political leaders.

Who would want their jobs??

Not enough money in the world.
Bradman
Bradman

Number of posts : 17402
Registration date : 2008-08-13
Flag/Background : war

Back to top Go down

Celebrity Death List MMXVIII/The Death Thread 2018 - Page 11 Empty Re: Celebrity Death List MMXVIII/The Death Thread 2018

Post by skully Wed 31 Jan 2018, 03:29

Indeed.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105981
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Wed 31 Jan 2018, 10:19

Bradman wrote:
skully wrote:Unfortch ego is a prerequisite for these positions of power, h. Without these look-at-me merchants we would have no political leaders.

Who would want their jobs??

Not enough money in the world.

Oddly enough I went to a State funeral yesterday. Aside from being a State Minister, Andrew had been a Methodist Minister, an architect, community activist around housing, anti Vietnam etc, a vigneron, champ sailor and a very decent painter. He was the first Attorney-General in Vic who was not a lawyer.

He was always however a champion bloke without any sense of entitlement. Not all pollies are ego driven psychopaths. Most are decent enough folk, inc some tories.
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Nerk Wed 31 Jan 2018, 10:25

I was surprised Vroom Vroom was that old. Always imagined he was a near-contemp of his great mate Jeff K, who I don't think is 70 yet.

(Horrie, are you going to tell us Andrew's last name or are we playing 20 ???'s?)

Fred Nerk

Number of posts : 8821
Registration date : 2007-10-15
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Wed 31 Jan 2018, 10:35

Fred Nerk wrote:I was surprised Vroom Vroom was that old. Always imagined he was a near-contemp of his great mate Jeff K, who I don't think is 70 yet.

(Horrie, are you going to tell us Andrew's last name or are we playing 20 ???'s?)

Sorry. Andrew McCutcheon
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Nerk Wed 31 Jan 2018, 10:46

Thanks. I vaguely remember the name. Was he related to Eric (VFL big cheese for aeons up to about 1980)?

Fred Nerk

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Wed 31 Jan 2018, 10:51

Doubt it. He was the son of an architect. Eric McCutcheon was a fearsome bastard.
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Wed 31 Jan 2018, 22:37

Fred Nerk wrote:I was surprised Vroom Vroom was that old. Always imagined he was a near-contemp of his great mate Jeff K, who I don't think is 70 yet.

I actually like Kennet. Hate his farking politics but once you get over that "I'm Gengis Khan and I'm coming to take your babies thing" he does good work. He served in Vietnam ( I think) so he'd have to be at least 70.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Nerk Wed 31 Jan 2018, 23:51

Jeff turns 70 early next month acc to Weaky. He was a nasho in 1968 and did time in Malaysia and Singapore but never 'Nam.

He threw me out of his Public Service, which I certainly don't hold against him for, and when the world didn't end after the first couple of years and I found I agreed with him about a lot of stuff, I realised it could have been a lot worse. (Also, when too many people started thinking that, he was probably finished at that moment.)

Fred Nerk

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Thu 01 Feb 2018, 00:31

Agree re the Tory jgk as opposed to our JGK. He did some remarkably stupid things as Premier. Govts now have to acquire land in expensive suburbs because jgk sold schools with then declining enrollments. Now rose same areas have high demand as couples with kids have moved in. That said he has done a great job on mental health issues and taking on the lunar extremists in his own party.

horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Thu 01 Feb 2018, 00:51

Fred Nerk wrote:Jeff turns 70 early next month acc to Weaky. He was a nasho in 1968 and did time in Malaysia and Singapore but never 'Nam.

He threw me out of his Public Service, which I certainly don't hold against him for, and when the world didn't end after the first couple of years and I found I agreed with him about a lot of stuff, I realised it could have been a lot worse. (Also, when too many people started thinking that, he was probably finished at that moment.)

Aye. Once you get past his hubris, he's not a bad bloke for a Scotch Collegian. I too was a public serf and would have been fired had I not commenced my exile in Qld ahead of his election. Mind you, there were several ALP Ministers and heads of departments that had me in their sights before I jumped. I once got into strife for writing a long and highly analytical speech for my then Minister who was determined to get a piece of legislation through. He spoke for a couple of hours, or more to the point mumbled his way through.

John Cain among others gave a terrific speech at McCutcheons funeral. Just a great and most humble man. I hope they rename the Melb Tennis Centre after him when he passes, which hopefully he wont do for yonks. I know I'm a dinosaur, but it seems to me there was more cause fir optimism in the 80s than now. I feel for young folk and their pollies.
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Thu 01 Feb 2018, 01:03

Fred Nerk wrote:Jeff turns 70 early next month acc to Weaky. He was a nasho in 1968 and did time in Malaysia and Singapore but never 'Nam.

He threw me out of his Public Service, which I certainly don't hold against him for, and when the world didn't end after the first couple of years and I found I agreed with him about a lot of stuff,  I realised it could have been a lot worse. (Also, when too many people started thinking that, he was probably finished at that moment.)

Mate that's the sort of thing I'd want engraved on my headstone.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Thu 01 Feb 2018, 01:10

horace wrote:

He threw me out of his Public Service, which I certainly don't hold against him for, and when the world didn't end after the first couple of years and I found I agreed with him about a lot of stuff,  I realised it could have been a lot worse. (Also, when too many people started thinking that, he was probably finished at that moment.)

Aye. Once you get past his hubris, he's not a bad bloke for a Scotch Collegian. I too was a public serf and would have been fired had I not commenced my exile in Qld ahead of his election. Mind you, there were several ALP Ministers and heads of departments that had me in their sights before I jumped. I once got into strife for writing a long and highly analytical speech for my then Minister who was determined to get a piece of legislation through. He spoke for a couple of hours, or more to the point mumbled his way through.

John Cain among others gave a terrific speech at McCutcheons funeral. Just a great and most humble man. I hope they rename the Melb Tennis Centre after him when he passes, which hopefully he wont do for yonks. I know I'm a dinosaur, but it seems to me there was more cause fir optimism in the 80s than now. I feel for young folk and their pollies.

That's another one for the headstone.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Nerk Thu 01 Feb 2018, 02:20

horace wrote:

That would one-up his old man into oblivion - the only thing I've seen with JC I's name on was Northcote Pool, and that may be called something else now.

II was still working part time as an academic at Melb Uni a few years ago.

Fred Nerk

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Thu 01 Feb 2018, 03:14

horace wrote:

TBF he did actually bankrupt your state.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Sat 03 Feb 2018, 06:23

Dennis Edwards of The Temptations.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/temptations-singer-dennis-edwards-dies

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
116 - 9 - 400 - 4

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38123
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Sat 03 Feb 2018, 06:57

Age journalist Michael Gordon died after suffering a heart attack swimming at Cowes.
Red
Red

Number of posts : 17071
Registration date : 2007-10-28

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Sat 03 Feb 2018, 11:39

Red wrote:Age journalist Michael Gordon died after suffering a heart attack swimming at Cowes.

Always said exercise was bad for you.

A big loss though. He was a genuinely top shelf political journo.

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Mon 05 Feb 2018, 07:46

RIP Hugh Wirth.
Red
Red

Number of posts : 17071
Registration date : 2007-10-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Mon 05 Feb 2018, 23:27

Frasier's dad dead at 77. I assumed he was a hell of a lot older.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Mon 05 Feb 2018, 23:48

Red wrote:RIP Hugh Wirth.

A great eccentric and top champ of animals. RIP
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Tue 06 Feb 2018, 03:06

Bradman wrote:Frasier's dad dead at 77.  I assumed he was a hell of a lot older.

Aye, John Mahoney seemed a lot older than 77.

RIP.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105981

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Tue 06 Feb 2018, 11:41

Morgan Tsvangirai is on his last legs. Has been tipped in the past.

116 - 9 - 400 - 4

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by furriner Tue 06 Feb 2018, 12:38

Bradman wrote:Frasier's dad dead at 77.  I assumed he was a hell of a lot older.

He seemed a most likeable character. RIP.
furriner
furriner

Number of posts : 12508
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Thu 08 Feb 2018, 11:56

John Perry Barlow has suddenly become more grateful.

116 - 9 - 400 - 4

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 34 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 22 ... 34  Next