Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First organised women's cricket match

3 posters

Go down

First organised women's cricket match Empty First organised women's cricket match

Post by OP Tipping Thu 10 Jan 2019, 06:16

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01-10/australian-female-cricketers-left-out-of-history-books/10685070
Australian female cricketers who played their first match at the SCG were left out of the history books

In the summer of 1886, the Sydney Cricket Ground hosted a match so unusual it quickly sparked concern.

The two sides were made up of players with the prestigious Gregory surname — but when Helen (known as Nellie), Louisa, Alice and Gertrude stepped out onto the pitch, the outrage was swift.

They were the first women to ever play at the SCG.
OP Tipping
OP Tipping

First organised women's cricket match Svlx7uN

Number of posts : 4680
Registration date : 2008-01-10
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

First organised women's cricket match Empty Re: First organised women's cricket match

Post by skully Thu 10 Jan 2019, 07:38

Women playing cricket?? What will they think of next? Telephones without cords??
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105978
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

First organised women's cricket match Empty Re: First organised women's cricket match

Post by horace Thu 10 Jan 2019, 08:41

Great story.

My grandmother was evicted from the male only "Smoker's Stand" at the MCG. She'd gone to watch Bradman and accidentally wandered to the wrong seating area.

A now lost photo showed an attendant telling her she needed to move. I can recall a very large bloke in the photo. He was smoking a big cigar and glowering at my grandmother.
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down