Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Paine one of our all-time keeper batsmen according to this article.

+4
skully
horace
JGK
Red
8 posters

Go down

Paine one of our all-time keeper batsmen according to this article. Empty Paine one of our all-time keeper batsmen according to this article.

Post by Red Tue 22 Dec 2020, 03:18

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/cricket/keeping-his-spot-paine-deserves-place-on-podium-in-debate-over-best-batting-wicketkeepers-20201221-p56pb3.html

Does this lack nuance? The sample is relatively small compared with Haddin, Healy and Marsh for instance.
Red
Red

Number of posts : 17071
Registration date : 2007-10-28
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Paine one of our all-time keeper batsmen according to this article. Empty Re: Paine one of our all-time keeper batsmen according to this article.

Post by JGK Tue 22 Dec 2020, 03:41

He was crap in the Ashes and only averages 28 as captain.

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Paine one of our all-time keeper batsmen according to this article. Empty Re: Paine one of our all-time keeper batsmen according to this article.

Post by horace Tue 22 Dec 2020, 05:08

His lack of left side limits any claim beyond average as a keeper.

That his batting average eclipses Haddit should really not surprise.
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Tue 22 Dec 2020, 06:59

He's been great since the ball-tampering affair.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105921

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Tue 22 Dec 2020, 09:24

Well, given sub-30 averages were pretty standard for keepers in the pre-Gilchrist era, virtually anyone who’s played this millennium will be a top “keeper-batsman”.

beamer

Number of posts : 15399
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : eng

horace likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Tue 22 Dec 2020, 10:26

beamer wrote:Well, given sub-30 averages were pretty standard for keepers in the pre-Gilchrist era, virtually anyone who’s played this millennium will be a top “keeper-batsman”.

There were others Denis Lyndsay (sp?) before SA was admitted to Test cricket was one. Dujon was a wonderful batsman and a damned good keeper.

horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Tue 22 Dec 2020, 10:54

Well, obviously there were some, but I’d imagine the benchmark batting average for a keeper has increased by at least 10 runs in the last 20 years or so.

beamer

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Tue 22 Dec 2020, 12:09

Agree beams.

However, Gilchrist broke the mould for what is required from a wicketkeeper.

I doubt I will see in my lifetime (I'm well past halfway) anybody to rival Gilly.

As I was with Warnie, the Waughs, Punter, Pidge and Haydos, I am deeply grateful to have witnessed the Test career of Adam Gilchrist.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105921

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Tue 22 Dec 2020, 14:04

Yeah, and to have all those seven in one team, which was ridiculous. And the rest weren’t exactly bad (Langer, Gillespie etc...)

There might not be another Gilchrist, but there are plenty of imitators. Everyone wants a keeper-batsman who can average 40+ at number 7 or above and can take the game to a tiring attack, and there have been plenty, with varying degrees of success. Not saying he wasn’t a good keeper, but he was probably responsible for teams wanting a batsman who can keep, rather than a keeper who may be just about adequate with the bat.

beamer

Back to top Go down

Post by WideWally Wed 23 Dec 2020, 01:50

I have mentioned this before but the wicketkeepers who played for NSW in the Sheffield Shield between 1938/39 & 1973/74 achieved little with bat but admittedly a lot of bowlers in those teams were very good batsmen - Miller, Benaud, Davidson, Lindwall, etc

Code:
Sismey, SG 19 29 10 30 227 _ _ 11.95 64 3 1938/39 1950/51
Lambert, O 21 26 10 15 92 _ _ 5.62 45 13 1950/51 1956/57
Trueman, GS 21 24 7 16 127 _ _ 7.47 54 13 1951/52 1953/54
Ford, DA 56 61 22 36* 521 _ _ 13.36 107 51 1957/58 1963/64
Taber, HB 64 100 17 109 1377 1 4 16.59 177 33 1964/65 1973/74
Hendricks, M 8 13 3 32 116 _ _ 11.60 27 9 1969/70 1969/70

Apologies for the formatting.
WideWally
WideWally

Number of posts : 9699
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Wed 23 Dec 2020, 03:29

beamer wrote:Yeah, and to have all those seven in one team, which was ridiculous. And the rest weren’t exactly bad (Langer, Gillespie etc...)

There might not be another Gilchrist, but there are plenty of imitators. Everyone wants a keeper-batsman who can average 40+ at number 7 or above and can take the game to a tiring attack, and there have been plenty, with varying degrees of success. Not saying he wasn’t a good keeper, but he was probably responsible for teams wanting a batsman who can keep, rather than a keeper who may be just about adequate with the bat.

Give me Grout of the peerless Tallon or even Jordan and Maddox ahead of those dross weasels.
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Sun 03 Mar 2024, 11:11

Former Victorian keeper* gives his perspective, two months ago …

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/12/22/former-first-class-keeper-names-his-best-pure-glovemen-in-australian-cricket/

* = not horrie

Rates Carey narrowly ahead of Inglis and Peirson on keeping ability alone. Did not rate Harper highly, let alone mention Wade, McDermott, Phillippe, Whiteman. Bancroft, or Handscomb.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
116 - 9 - 400 - 4

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38084

horace likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Mon 04 Mar 2024, 20:58

lardbucket wrote:Former Victorian keeper* gives his perspective, two months ago …

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/12/22/former-first-class-keeper-names-his-best-pure-glovemen-in-australian-cricket/

* = not horrie

Rates Carey narrowly ahead of Inglis and Peirson on keeping ability alone. Did not rate Harper highly, let alone mention Wade, McDermott, Phillippe, Whiteman. Bancroft, or Handscomb.

I did laugh!

Crossy is a sharp but gentle judge. Fwiw I agree with his rankings but but have JP well ahead of Inglis as a keeper.

horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Mon 04 Mar 2024, 22:50

I’d agree with that. Peirson, like Anderson and Seccombe before him, perhaps Darren Berry as well, has suffered from perceptions that there have been keepers ALMOST as good who were much better bats.

116 - 9 - 400 - 4

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Nerk Mon 04 Mar 2024, 23:07

Paine was an adequate keeper and handy bat before they dumped the captaincy in his lap - then he became Exhibit A for the 'you can't both kip and skeep' trope which not even the late R.W. Marsh could find his way past.
After the Stokes Choke (I hate the word with a passion but there is no other) he rallied the team to win at OT a week later (a feat not to be sneezed at) but that proved his Last, as well as finest, Great Act Of Defiance, and by the time he got his marching orders he was barely leaving any size hole at all.

Fred Nerk

Number of posts : 8809
Registration date : 2007-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Nerk Mon 04 Mar 2024, 23:31

lardbucket wrote:I’d agree with that. Peirson, like Anderson and Seccombe before him, perhaps Darren Berry as well, has suffered from perceptions that there have been keepers ALMOST as good who were much better bats.

Suggest that was also what got Steve Rixon the gig over John McLean for the first WSC summer. Mac was a tad unlucky that Marsh overtook him sometime in the 1970 winter, during which time neither of them actually played any cricket at all, but by the time the job came up again seven years later he was hopeless against spin no matter whether the stumps were behind or in front of him.

Fred Nerk

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Tue 05 Mar 2024, 00:41

Rixon was an excellent gloveman, though. He did not bat strongly and I think your assessment of 78-9 decision is correct. With hindsight Maclean probably should never have played.

Kevin Wright was around at that time and squeezed in a couple of appearances too.

116 - 9 - 400 - 4

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Nerk Tue 05 Mar 2024, 01:23

So how did our 11th best batsman in the 1989 Ashes, still very much a WIP as a keeper, avoid hard questions? (Besides winning covering the usual multitude, and the main competition being Tim somebody, who made the other aforementioned Tim somebody look like Grout?)

Fred Nerk

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Tue 05 Mar 2024, 08:28

I think winning probably helped a lot.

The other Tim was pretty slick behind the stumps but my understanding is that he upset his coach and some of his team mates along the way!

116 - 9 - 400 - 4

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down