Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gayle appointed West Indies captain on a permanent basis

+6
horace
LeFromage
Basil
Paul Keating
HH_pink
WIFAN
10 posters

Go down

Gayle appointed West Indies captain on a permanent basis Empty Gayle appointed West Indies captain on a permanent basis

Post by WIFAN Wed 05 Mar 2008, 23:13

Great News

WICB in common sense move shocker. Great decision!
WIFAN
WIFAN

Gayle appointed West Indies captain on a permanent basis 7EoDRAk

Number of posts : 2857
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : wi

Back to top Go down

Gayle appointed West Indies captain on a permanent basis Empty Re: Gayle appointed West Indies captain on a permanent basis

Post by HH_pink Wed 05 Mar 2008, 23:40

Doesn't say nuthin about "permanent basis" there?
HH_pink
HH_pink

Gayle appointed West Indies captain on a permanent basis APSeEpm

Number of posts : 3353
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Gayle appointed West Indies captain on a permanent basis Empty Re: Gayle appointed West Indies captain on a permanent basis

Post by WIFAN Thu 06 Mar 2008, 00:31

Well they appoint on a tour by tour basis but Sarwan is fit and a certain selection therefore Gayle is now the supremo.
WIFAN
WIFAN

Back to top Go down

Post by HH_pink Thu 06 Mar 2008, 00:36

I see. Atleast the team can have a relatively settled look about it now.
HH_pink
HH_pink

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Keating Thu 06 Mar 2008, 00:38

WIFAN,

Have you been keeping up-to-date with the fitness of Lara.

Does he still harbor hopes of a return? Would the board approve it? Would the players backlash against it?

On Gayle, I feel it is the right decision. I think he would be brazen and rash but refreshing. It can't be worse than what has has gone by in the past.
Paul Keating
Paul Keating

Gayle appointed West Indies captain on a permanent basis Svlx7uN

Number of posts : 4663
Registration date : 2007-10-25

Back to top Go down

Post by WIFAN Thu 06 Mar 2008, 00:52

Paul,

Lara is slowly recovering from a broken arm, but he has indicated that he will not play international cricket again and he is not sure whether he should play for Trinidad & Tobago as he doesn't want to take a youngsters place.

I'm not sure Gayle and Sarwan etc would react too well to a Lara return. Sarwan's relationship with BCL has never been the same since he was bizarrely dropped during the 2nd test in Pakistan.
WIFAN
WIFAN

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Thu 06 Mar 2008, 00:59

Good news for W.I. Cricket. I have never been impressed by Sarwan.
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15936

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Keating Thu 06 Mar 2008, 01:01

Sarwan is an over-rated runt, who has everything to prove in cricket.
Paul Keating
Paul Keating

Back to top Go down

Post by HH_pink Thu 06 Mar 2008, 01:02

So you're saying Lara was right in dropping him without rhyme or reason?
HH_pink
HH_pink

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Keating Thu 06 Mar 2008, 01:06

No, I didn't say that, if he was playing well, then yes he would have been unjustly dropped.

What I do believe though, is that Sarwan doesn't deserve to be the captain. He is more arrogant than Gayle and doesn't contribute as much to the team. Gayle can fail with the bat, but at least Chris can lead by example with the ball and in the field.

The c0ck Sarwan always fails when it matters with the bat. He is a hack. Plus he is clueless as a captain.

Did I say he was a c0ck?
Paul Keating
Paul Keating

Back to top Go down

Post by WIFAN Thu 06 Mar 2008, 01:07

Paul Keating wrote:Sarwan is an over-rated runt, who has everything to prove in cricket.

Sarwan is a strange batsman. He is severely over-rated as a test match batsman and needs to prove himself in that format.

He is also criminally under-rated as a ODI batsman. In that format he is up there with the very best, and he has the record to prove it. I love watching him bat as he is such an elegant player.

Back on topic though, Gayle has been such a success as skipper so far that he deserves the captaincy. The rest of the players clearly want Gayle as captain.
WIFAN
WIFAN

Back to top Go down

Post by HH_pink Thu 06 Mar 2008, 01:09

He's clearly the "leader", true.
HH_pink
HH_pink

Back to top Go down

Post by WIFAN Thu 06 Mar 2008, 01:10

Paul Keating wrote:No, I didn't say that, if he was playing well, then yes he would have been unjustly dropped.

What I do believe though, is that Sarwan doesn't deserve to be the captain. He is more arrogant than Gayle and doesn't contribute as much to the team. Gayle can fail with the bat, but at least Chris can lead by example with the ball and in the field.

The c0ck Sarwan always fails when it matters with the bat. He is a hack. Plus he is clueless as a captain.

Did I say he was a c0ck?

I have to come to Sars defence here as he's actually a top bloke, and isn't at all arrogant in reality. I can see why you think that though as a number of overseas fans get that impression for some reason. If you want to see a properly arrogant West Indies cricketer, just look at Marlon Samuels. He is the definition of arrogance.
WIFAN
WIFAN

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Thu 06 Mar 2008, 01:48

In not-such-good West Indies news, Chris Jordan seems like he's putting all his eggs into England's basket.

I'd feel bad for you guys to lose such a bright talent, but seeing as how England are now the worst team in the world at everything, we need him more than you Wink

http://www.surreycricket.com/news/jordan-pledges-allegiance-to-england,5856,NS.html
LeFromage
LeFromage

Number of posts : 26195
Registration date : 2007-08-03
Flag/Background : fra

http://www.flamingbails.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Thu 06 Mar 2008, 02:09

best of luck to gayle...am certain that all of us want to see a resurgance in WI cricket
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by Don't quote me Thu 06 Mar 2008, 11:14

WIFAN wrote:
Paul Keating wrote:No, I didn't say that, if he was playing well, then yes he would have been unjustly dropped.

Did I say he was a c0ck?

I have to come to Sars defence here as he's actually a top bloke, and isn't at all arrogant in reality. I can see why you think that though as a number of overseas fans get that impression for some reason. If you want to see a properly arrogant West Indies cricketer, just look at Marlon Samuels. He is the definition of arrogance.

Seeing as he averaged 29 in 2006, during which he was bizarrely dropped. The way he reacted seemed pretty arrogant to me, still it got people feeling sorry for him and his 29 average, even 2 yrs later his fans are rallying at the injustice and panning Lara, instead of Mr. 29 batting average, so I supposed Sarwan whinging worked wonders.

I think Ronnie is a class finisher in ODI's, but he hasn't stepped upto the plate at no.3 in recent yrs (lack of hundreds) combined with his so-so fielding, you can see why he is not highly regarded

Good luck to Gayle and co

Don't quote me

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2007-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Thu 06 Mar 2008, 11:49

WIFAN wrote:Great News

WICB in common sense move shocker. Great decision!

Aye, would definitely agree.
Has the stature, arrogance, respect and a decent nous about him to succeed.
Wish him luck - the WI team need a break.

Merlin

Number of posts : 14718
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : afg

Back to top Go down

Post by holcs Thu 06 Mar 2008, 12:23

Great decision by the WICB.

He's the only player in the team capable of commanding the respect of all that play for him, but also galvanising them to all perform, IMO!
holcs
holcs

Number of posts : 5481
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Thu 06 Mar 2008, 12:33

He did a good job in the JAMODI and a good job in SA, poor batting was the only thing that stopped a series draw. It is a good appointment, but possibly what you'd call an obvious one after his performances.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down