Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Well Done West Indies...

+6
skully
Zat
Gary 111
PeterCS
JKLever
Chivalry Augustus
10 posters

Go down

Well Done West Indies... Empty Well Done West Indies...

Post by Chivalry Augustus Tue 10 Mar 2009, 22:18

...a separate thread just to say a hearty well done to the Windies for beating us. Irrespective of any thoughts on the quality of the series and who deserved what, the Windies had the fight to see it through after an outstanding bowling effort at Sabina Park. It's nice to see Windian cricket looking a little rosier, though there have been a few false dawns in the past. Here's hoping they can find a decent spinner and someone who isn't as rubbish as Daren Powell so that we can see a consistently competitive Windian team in world cricket.
Chivalry Augustus
Chivalry Augustus

Well Done West Indies... Svlx7uN

Number of posts : 4864
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Well Done West Indies... Empty Re: Well Done West Indies...

Post by JKLever Tue 10 Mar 2009, 22:19

Aye, seconded.

And for WIFANs health, lets hope they drop Darren Powell....
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Tue 10 Mar 2009, 22:53

I love the way Cozier says "Daa-reen Pohhh-willll"

Cheers to the WIndies and esp to the long-suffering WIFAN and kkf, as others have said.

We'll catch you next time (hopefully) Very Happy
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary 111 Tue 10 Mar 2009, 22:57

Well unlike a lot of the English journos most of the English people on here predicted a tight, tense series - JKLever, Brass Monkey and myself amongst others.

Plus a selection committee made up of myself & WIFAN could have saved the Windies a lot of Daren Powell garbage:

(this was before the first test)

WIFAN wrote:
Gary 111 wrote:WIFAN.

I also rate Fidel Edwards and Jerome Taylor has shown some promise in New Zealand. But isn't there anyone better than Daren Powell? Who are the other pace bowlers in WI Domestic cricket who are close to selection?

I think WI would be better served picking a tall, hit the deck style bowler in the mould of (but obviously not as good as) Ambrose or Garner in the past. Edwards is short and slingy, Powell shortish and (I think) Taylor is no taller than 6 ft too? We saw on the last series how lethal Harmison was at Sabina Park when the cracks had opened causing variable bounce in the second innings. Anyone to fit this description?

The problem is that the contenders have not played very much FC cricket at all, or are very injury prone. Kemar Roach is the most exciting in terms of raw talent, and he will be selected as soon as he gets rid of his no-ball problem. Unfortunately he has just gone off the field in the middle of his over, so it looks like he might miss the A team match. Given that one of the other main contenders with express pace, Nelson Pascal, is also injured. Brandon Bess is very fast and very tall, but he has no success in Fc cricket and has got an A team pick on pure potential. Lionel Baker seems to be the 1st in line to replace Powell, which is inexplicable as he is a medium pacer who doesn't really move the ball around much and has an awful FC record. Ah well.

Tbh, I would pick Darren Sammy over Darren Powell anyway, he will do no worse with the ball and he is good at everything else.
Gary 111
Gary 111

Number of posts : 5717
Registration date : 2007-09-02

http://www.flamingbails.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Tue 10 Mar 2009, 23:13

Well done WIndies.

Zat

Number of posts : 28872
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Tue 10 Mar 2009, 23:31

Bask in the glory WIFAN and kkf. I'm sure you'll take the victory with your customary humility and grace.

Now celebrate over a few rums. drunken
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105969
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by WIFAN Wed 11 Mar 2009, 00:22

Thanks everyone Very Happy

It is comforting to know that we will hold a major trophy for at least 2 months Very Happy .

It's great to actually win a series, but as many of you have pointed out we will have to do it in greater style in future and the pitches will have to be spiced up a bit or we will find ourselves drawing matches against Bangladesh later this year..

I am 100 % confident that Powell and Smith will now be dropped as Gayle refused to bowl his fellow Jamaican (hint hint) in the 2nd innings, and Smith failed to make an impression in fantastic batting conditions.

The great thing about winning a test series is I can now watch the ODI's and not care as much about the result.
WIFAN
WIFAN

Well Done West Indies... 7EoDRAk

Number of posts : 2857
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : wi

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 11 Mar 2009, 00:24

It's one more step in a revival that seems to have started with the single victory in South Africa just over a year ago. This is their first series win over a non-subcontinental, non Zimbabwe team in a genuine Test since they beat England in 1998, isn't it?

Damn.

Back to top Go down

Post by WIFAN Wed 11 Mar 2009, 00:28

Yes it has been a farkin long time coming.

The last 10 years have been full of collapses, mediocre pace bowling, poor captaincy and the only bright spark was occasional individual brilliance from BCL or Shiv.

It is nice to see a proper team ethos developing.
WIFAN
WIFAN

Well Done West Indies... 7EoDRAk

Number of posts : 2857
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : wi

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Wed 11 Mar 2009, 00:29

WIFAN wrote:Thanks everyone Very Happy

It is comforting to know that we will hold a major trophy for at least 2 months Very Happy .
As I said before, I'm not sure if the trophy will be at stake in a 2-match series (for example, there have been one-off Eng-Aus Tests where the Ashes were not at stake). You may get to hang onto it until the next major series between the two sides in England, which I think is a couple of years away?

beamer

Number of posts : 15399
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Wed 11 Mar 2009, 00:30

WIFAN wrote:

Bless your cotton socks for referring to something won against England as "major". Razz
LeFromage
LeFromage

Number of posts : 26195
Registration date : 2007-08-03
Flag/Background : fra

http://www.flamingbails.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Wed 11 Mar 2009, 00:31

Demelza wrote:This is their first series win over a non-subcontinental, non Zimbabwe team in a genuine Test since they beat England in 1998, isn't it?
That description only covers four possible opponents for the West Indies, so not surprising they haven't won many... surprised they haven't even managed to beat NZ though.

beamer

Number of posts : 15399

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 11 Mar 2009, 00:33

Dello wrote:
WIFAN wrote:

Bless your cotton socks for referring to something won against England as "major". Razz
Hey, we're in 6th position. It could be worse!

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Wed 11 Mar 2009, 00:57

Well done you Windies aces

Let's hope that this is the start of a long term resurgence of the game in the Caribbean.
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15936

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down