Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pedro Collins joins Surrey as a Kolpak player

+7
Eric Air Emu
S F Barnes
Henry
Merlin
Shoeshine
JKLever
WIFAN
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Pedro Collins joins Surrey as a Kolpak player - Page 2 Empty Re: Pedro Collins joins Surrey as a Kolpak player

Post by tac Fri 05 Oct 2007, 15:53

Augustus wrote:Well, we don't have any Kolpaks. Nuh. Fortunately, we have Huss II to do the job of ten.

Good season from Nicky.
tac
tac

Number of posts : 19270
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : pon

Back to top Go down

Pedro Collins joins Surrey as a Kolpak player - Page 2 Empty Re: Pedro Collins joins Surrey as a Kolpak player

Post by Shoeshine Fri 05 Oct 2007, 15:58

PearlJ wrote:
Shoeshine wrote:
PearlJ wrote:TBF I don't think the ECB can do anything about it.

Of course they can. Pay the counties based on the number of England Test players they produce. They can't stop them taking on Kolpaks but they can stop rewarding them for it. The current "incentive" is negligible.

Cut off all central funding for a county that produces no players in the England teams through the age groups and the full side, and they'd soon be falling over themselves to generate England players. Right now they don't care.

Having Kolpaks in your team doesn't stop you producing England players. Look at Durham, they have about 4 Kolpaks in their squad yet they have numerous players in the England team. Or even Yorks. Or Hants.

It isn't the issue about right now, it's how it's going to be in ten years time. Most of the players who are in the England squad are pre-Kolpak era. What happens in a decade's time? And why should the money generated by the England team go to paying some crappy county standard overseas player anyway? We want the Warne's in the country, we just don't want a cheap Zimbabwean taking the place of a promising Englishman.

Shoeshine

Pedro Collins joins Surrey as a Kolpak player - Page 2 Svlx7uN

Number of posts : 4512
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by holcs Fri 05 Oct 2007, 17:06

To be fair to Slurrey though, There are not many county level seamers about, or as far as i'm aware any coming up through the ranks?!

So its better to have Pedro for the level of competition than the home grown ones they could have.

However I agree that, its getting ridiculously out of hand and that although FCC was never that good for the England side IMO, its now getting beyond being shocking for homegrown youngsters and the development of test players in England!
holcs
holcs

Number of posts : 5481
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Fri 05 Oct 2007, 17:08

holcs wrote:To be fair to Slurrey though, There are not many county level seamers about, or as far as i'm aware any coming up through the ranks?!

So its better to have Pedro for the level of competition than the home grown ones they could have.

Thats the same for every county though.... what if they all decide to bring in a kolpak? No excuse...
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by holcs Fri 05 Oct 2007, 17:21

JKLever wrote:
holcs wrote:To be fair to Slurrey though, There are not many county level seamers about, or as far as i'm aware any coming up through the ranks?!

Thats the same for every county though.... what if they all decide to bring in a kolpak? No excuse...

That was a little slurrey dig JK!

You know my opinions on this! Im could deal with 1 Overseas and 1 quality test player standard Kolpak in any team, as say Yorks have with Khan and Rudolph for instance.

Counties like Leics and Direbyshire p1ss me off royally, take all the dosh, and do f'all with it to further their paymasters.
holcs
holcs

Number of posts : 5481
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Eric Air Emu Fri 05 Oct 2007, 17:48

Surrey usually have two overseas players (although it's often just the one with injuries and non-availability) and as long as Mo Akram has been shown the door just the one kolpakker and no EU passport jobbie or Aussies deciding they're temporary poms. The rest for all their faults are all products of the domestic English cricket system.

Rikki Clarke linked with the captaincy of Derbyshire- excuse me while I weap into some steamed asparagus.
Eric Air Emu
Eric Air Emu

Number of posts : 1954
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2