Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

British author wins nobel prize for literature.

+14
Merlin
Brass Monkey
doctorspin
LeFromage
taipan
JGK
lardbucket
*Buckaroo*
Zat
tac
furriner
HH_pink
doremi
Lara Lara Laughs
18 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

British author wins nobel prize for literature. - Page 2 Empty Re: British author wins nobel prize for literature.

Post by Merlin Sat 13 Oct 2007, 09:59

JGK wrote:
tac wrote:

Not sure how you pick "Peace" as a "intellectual" prize but not Physics or Chemistry?
Anyway, knock yourself out looking for more examples of western bias.

Or indeed economics.

In fact, Peace is the least intellectual.

Which presumably accounts for the Nobel victor being Al Gore, whose claim to fame was being a loser!
Basically a "has been" who leapt onto the "global warming" bandwagon, for which "intellectuals" pay $50k a lecture to hear his pearls of wisdom. FFS.

And whom now, lo and behold, is being wooed to run for Presidency on the Democratic ticket next year (Hilary Clinton eat yer heart out) ...

So .... what next?
Tony Blair for the Nobel Peace Prize in 2008 when tranquility returns to Iraq and Afganistan as if by magic?
Makes sense I guess.

Nobel Peace Prize ... blah, humbug.

Merlin

Number of posts : 14718
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : afg

Back to top Go down

British author wins nobel prize for literature. - Page 2 Empty Re: British author wins nobel prize for literature.

Post by JGK Sat 13 Oct 2007, 10:45

"Basically a "has been" who leapt onto the "global warming" bandwagon, for which "intellectuals" pay $50k a lecture to hear his pearls of wisdom. "

Still - it's hardly stoopid of him to have regular gigs like that .

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by doremi Sat 13 Oct 2007, 10:47

I think he had an old association with global warming etc.,
doremi
doremi

Number of posts : 9743
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Sat 13 Oct 2007, 17:08

Merlin wrote:
JGK wrote:
tac wrote:

Not sure how you pick "Peace" as a "intellectual" prize but not Physics or Chemistry?
Anyway, knock yourself out looking for more examples of western bias.

Or indeed economics.

In fact, Peace is the least intellectual.

Which presumably accounts for the Nobel victor being Al Gore, whose claim to fame was being a loser!
Basically a "has been" who leapt onto the "global warming" bandwagon, for which "intellectuals" pay $50k a lecture to hear his pearls of wisdom. FFS.

And whom now, lo and behold, is being wooed to run for Presidency on the Democratic ticket next year (Hilary Clinton eat yer heart out) ...

So .... what next?
Tony Blair for the Nobel Peace Prize in 2008 when tranquility returns to Iraq and Afganistan as if by magic?
Makes sense I guess.

Nobel Peace Prize ... blah, humbug.

Merlo

You forgot to put in the disclosure that you work as a pump attendant at the local Norfolk servo ...and that you need oil to be used to get paid ...or is that your Inconvenient Truth?
embee
embee

Number of posts : 26198
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Sat 13 Oct 2007, 18:23

embee wrote:

Merlo

You forgot to put in the disclosure that you work as a pump attendant at the local Norfolk servo ...and that you need oil to be used to get paid ...or is that your Inconvenient Truth?

... or the addendum that you're a prize dic*head ?
Rightho.

Now how about you comment or put your views forward on the issue rather than making inane farking remarks (which is the norm for you) or else stfu.

Merlin

Back to top Go down

Post by mynah Sat 13 Oct 2007, 22:27

*Buckaroo* wrote:there is an ongoing tussle between the old-world/old-money elite of Europe and the new-world fossil fuel powered elite mostly based in US whose cause is championed by the likes of Rockefellers.

Now the old-world traditional elite of Europe lost out on the fossil fuel race to the likes of Rockefellers and the new world elite and this whole climate change drama is a brainchild of the European elite whose move is to introduce alternate energy technology under the hoax of global warming. This will help them capture ground lost by transfer-of-technology to the East and transfer of wealth back into European elite.

The European Elite are led by the likes of Rothschilds who are championing their cause. One of them has bought out a handbook on global warming and is spearheading the movement worldwide. And yet another one was involved with the Live Earth drama to promote the global warming hoax.
ROFLMAO...You must be be last surviving adherent in the world of that tired old conspiracy theory, though it is hilarious to see that it has undergone an interesting new climatic twist.
mynah
mynah

British author wins nobel prize for literature. - Page 2 APSeEpm

Number of posts : 3385
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Mon 15 Oct 2007, 01:41

Doris Lessing is a wonderful novelist and i am delighted that she won ...btw she is not a pomgolian but a Zimbo by birth...developed and wrote on some of the great issues on the the 20thC
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Mon 15 Oct 2007, 04:51

Merlin wrote:
embee wrote:

Merlo

... or the addendum that you're a prize dic*head ?
Rightho.

Now how about you comment or put your views forward on the issue rather than making inane farking remarks (which is the norm for you) or else stfu.

Crikey Merlo ...you get really sensitive when people show you up as a prejudiced idiot.
embee
embee

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Mon 15 Oct 2007, 08:36

Another personal half wit opinion Nads?

My prejudice about the Nobel Peace prize ?
Or the two ex cons politicians masquerading around for money - Gore as the doom n gloom merchant, the other, Blair, as a peace envoy in the middle east?

As mentioned early in this thread, the misguided Nobel panel who overlooked Gandhi (they're sorry!!) yet give the coveted prize to the terrorist Arafat years later ... the same lot who take several years again to finally recognize the great Mandella for the same prize that they have now awarded to Al Gore ... I mean .. FFS! Go figure ...

So Nads, I ask again - what is your opinion or indeed take on all this?

Thus far we've only been party to your own prejudices (viz - against the mighty Merlin) - with your regular back-biting petty one liners which bear little or no resemblance to the issues discussed ... (other than AFL rules /'dubbers are barstewards'/ zim is a tw*t/ 'mudge has sand in his vag' / 'Rob is a farkwit' etc etc etc etc ... borng and oft repeated half-wit one liners lacking content yet expressing true prejudice.)

I mean ... WTF is this one liner supposed to mean ...
"You forgot to put in the disclosure that you work as a pump attendant at the local Norfolk servo ...and that you need oil to be used to get paid ...or is that your Inconvenient Truth?"

WTF is this " Inconvenient Truth "??! Are you still on the meds?

So embee ol' fruit - Time to show us the true potential of your single celled brain for which you have been nominated for the Nobel Farkwit prize for Stupidity and Nonsense ..... the floor is all yours.
naughty

Merlin

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Mon 15 Oct 2007, 08:53

I have a folkwit detector , Merlo

It goes off whenever you post ...

You are prejudiced against the decision to give Gore the Peace Prize because you work in the Oil industry ...and his prize was related to his stand against Global Warming ...any recognition given to him only enhances the standing of his work ...

Your response to this has been to shoot both messengers ...Gore and the Nobel Prize comittee ...but say nothing about his message ...other than it has little to do with Peace ...and somehow you've brought Blair into the argument ...Oh! That's Right ...another one of your prejudices ...I'm surprised you forgot to mention how Dougie Jardine should have got the Nobel Peace Prize too...

My opinion on the award to Gore is irrelevant to my comments about your post ...
embee
embee

Back to top Go down

Post by mynah Mon 15 Oct 2007, 08:54

Anyone ever bother to argue about this Nobel Prize, or remember anyone who ever won it - apart from that guy who had a film made about him because of his schizophrenia?
mynah
mynah

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Mon 15 Oct 2007, 09:00

mynah wrote:Anyone ever bother to argue about this Nobel Prize, or remember anyone who ever won it - apart from that guy who had a film made about him because of his schizophrenia?

lol...various flat earth economists have won it inc friedman...but i think JK Galbraith may also have won one...

Mynah - are you a Lessing reader?
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Mon 15 Oct 2007, 09:34

embee wrote:I have a folkwit detector , Merlo

It goes off whenever you post ...

You are prejudiced against the decision to give Gore the Peace Prize because you work in the Oil industry ...and his prize was related to his stand against Global Warming ...any recognition given to him only enhances the standing of his work ...

Your response to this has been to shoot both messengers ...Gore and the Nobel Prize comittee ...but say nothing about his message ...other than it has little to do with Peace ...and somehow you've brought Blair into the argument ...Oh! That's Right ...another one of your prejudices ...I'm surprised you forgot to mention how Dougie Jardine should have got the Nobel Peace Prize too...

My opinion on the award to Gore is irrelevant to my comments about your post ...

Ah, two sentences strung together.
Perhaps if I can work on you a bit more, we might get a paragraph of observations devoid of sarky remarks.

Okay - addressing your concerns.
Yes, I work in the oil industry ... have done since I was 18 years old.
Proud of it .... servicing lemmings who are otherwise known as human beings ... in fact right now I have 120KT of low sulfur fuel oil headed for Queensland destined for power stations and the big alluminium plant on that coast.
Tell me.
Do you drive a car or use public transport ? Do you cut the lawn? Do you use electricity and gas ? Do you put your groceries into plastic bags? Open tins, eat rice, wheat and drink whiskey?
Everything mentioned is associated in one way or another with the direct consumption or useage of hydrocarbons - oil.

So son't lecture me - I happen also to be the messenger !

I used Blair as a yardstick ... ie., the politician (both failed IMO) turned fortune hunters under the guise of harbingers of truth !
In Gore's case, the simplicity of his arguments highlighting the impending doom as a result of "global warming" are now being systematically torn to shreds by recognized scientists around the world as being too presumptive and vague. Could this lead to the White House via the back door?
YES, there's no denying there's a problem ... it's been going on since the turn of the LAST century BTW ... but Gore's money spinning exercizes and the amateurism involved in "proving" his points on a very real issue are being taken with a large dose of cynicism now...
Blair and his newly created "Envoy for Peace" role (which inevitably will bring him to the Nobel panel's attention in a couple of years time) is just a bloody laugh given the circumstances, you have to admit.

Dougie Jardine achieved much more than winning the Nobel Peace Prize ... he brought the Ashes home!

PS - I suggest you direct your 'folkwit detector' at yourself - you'll need a new one after it blows up in yer face.

Merlin

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Mon 15 Oct 2007, 09:54

If you didnt post crap ...I wouldn't have to make sarky comments .

And your simplistic writing off of Gore and Blair is laughable ...

As has been shown many times before on this forum and others ...Just because merlo thinks it to be true , doesn't mean it is ...

Some of what Gore says is true , some wrong ...but you cant write it all off and it has brought the issue into the main stream ( and you yourself admit it to be a problem) ...

Who can bring forward "Gore's" message ?

Someone like yourself who has worked in the industry since they were 18 ie a Whistleblower ?....

or someone who grew up in a cave with no fire and only ate berries and used no hydrocarbons in their life?

Truth is ...anyone can ...

Everyone has a past ...Gore could actually be President of the USA if the votes in Florida had been counted differently/correctly ...the fact they weren't and that Gore charges money to deliver his "message" are irrelevant to his actual message and the intent of his message...they may bring the message to the attention of more people than if you or I was delivering it , but it makes no difference to the actual message delivered ...
embee
embee

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Mon 15 Oct 2007, 10:06

Well, Gore was right about Manbearpig. He pretty much saved humanity there.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Mon 15 Oct 2007, 10:22

Hey Nads -

So, You personally consider my comments as carp - which results in you unilaterally deciding that your sarky comments are necessary.
Bravo !

However, at least I have got you to string more than one sentence together and debate an issue ... more than one liners - a vast improvement don't you think? Are we witnessing the new Nads!

I admire your defence of Gore (and Blair) .. but your infantile reference to the "Florida vote" is an amusement! Nothing has been proven - all innuendo and typical US carp and BS ... which is normal for them!
But, it's called politics ol' son ... I see your chappie Howard catching some flak on here for practising it!

I on the other hand, have never practised the creed you accuse me of ... "Just because merlo thinks it to be true , doesn't mean it is" that is YOUR take on the subject (and several Australians for that matter) .
Fact is, I submit my opinions (which, like ar*eholes, we all possess them), and you debate them ... it's as simple as that.
Clearly mine p!ss you (and some other Aussies off) off to the point where you feel the need to be sarky and downright insulting in some cases ... well, sadly Nads that is a trait practised by half wits; people unaccustomed to open debate or, worse still, feel the need to suppress such debate.

So which one are you?

I don't deny the need to bring the message of Global Warming to the people ... I am just extremely cynical of those self-elected people who profess that they do (for the sake of both self gratification and finance!
BIG difference.

But hey ... you carry on.

Last edited by on Mon 15 Oct 2007, 10:23; edited 1 time in total

Merlin

Back to top Go down

Post by mynah Mon 15 Oct 2007, 10:22

horace wrote:
mynah wrote:Anyone ever bother to argue about this Nobel Prize, or remember anyone who ever won it - apart from that guy who had a film made about him because of his schizophrenia?

lol...various flat earth economists have won it inc friedman...but i think JK Galbraith may also have won one...

Mynah - are you a Lessing reader?
To be honest, I've often almost started to read one of her books, but somehow never got around to it.
mynah
mynah

Back to top Go down

Post by Lara Lara Laughs Mon 15 Oct 2007, 11:51

Batfink Begins wrote:Well, Gore was right about Manbearpig. He pretty much saved humanity there.

Very Happy:D:D!
Lara Lara Laughs
Lara Lara Laughs

Number of posts : 8943
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Mon 15 Oct 2007, 12:02

Lara Lara Laughs wrote:

Hey, I'm cereal!
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Mon 15 Oct 2007, 12:04

[quote="Batfink Begins"]
Lara Lara Laughs wrote:

A cereal offender?
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Mon 15 Oct 2007, 12:11

taipan wrote:
A cereal offender?

No, you've got to listen to me. I'm cereal about Manbearpig.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Mon 15 Oct 2007, 12:11

[quote="taipan"]
Batfink Begins wrote:
Lara Lara Laughs wrote:

A cereal offender?

Yep, he tosses off into his cornflakes every morning (or so his mum told me).
tac
tac

Number of posts : 19270
Flag/Background : pon

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Mon 15 Oct 2007, 12:14

tac wrote:

What a load of f*cking bullsh!t. If she did tell you that, she'd have at least told you Rice Crispies, Ricicles if I've been good.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Mon 15 Oct 2007, 12:15

Batfink Begins wrote:
tac wrote:

What a load of f*cking bullsh!t. If she did tell you that, she'd have at least told you Rice Crispies, Ricicles if I've been good.

Amazing thread, from Nobel prizes to ............All in four pages.
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Mon 15 Oct 2007, 12:30

taipan wrote:
Amazing thread, from Nobel prizes to ............All in four pages.

Well, I was being cereal about Manbearpig, then tac did his usual number on a thread.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next