Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

English wit in crisis - Clarkson 4th wittiest Englishman.

+14
furriner
HH_pink
Basil
holcs
LeFromage
Merlin
doctorspin
tac
Brass Monkey
Invader Zim
taipan
JKLever
Gary 111
Lara Lara Laughs
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

English wit in crisis - Clarkson 4th wittiest Englishman. Empty English wit in crisis - Clarkson 4th wittiest Englishman.

Post by Lara Lara Laughs Mon 15 Oct 2007, 12:15

1 Oscar Wilde “Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast”

2 Spike Milligan “All I ask is the chance to prove that money can’t make me happy”

3 Stephen Fry “An original idea. That can’t be too hard. The library must be full of them”

4 Jeremy Clarkson “Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary . . . that’s what gets you”

5 Sir Winston Churchill “A politician needs the ability to foretell what is going to happen tomorrow, next week, next month, and next year. And to have the ability afterwards to explain why it didn’t happen”

6 Paul Merton “I’m always amazed to hear of air crash victims so badly mutilated that they have to be identified by their dental records. If they don’t know who you are, how do they know who your dentist is?”

7 Noel Coward “People are wrong when they say opera is not what it used to be. It is what it used to be. That is what’s wrong with it.”

8 Shakespeare “Maids want nothing but husbands, and when they have them, they want everything”

9 Brian Clough “The River Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years”

10 Liam Gallagher “She [Victoria Beckham] cannot even chew gum and walk in a straight line at the same time, let alone write a book.”

Can't argue with the top 3 though. I'm reading bits of Oscar Wilde's complete works at the moment and the man is a one-off.

Genius:

Even on his deathbed in 1900, he is alleged to have said: “My wallpaper and I are fighting a duel to the death. One or other of us has got to go.”
Lara Lara Laughs
Lara Lara Laughs

Number of posts : 8943
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

English wit in crisis - Clarkson 4th wittiest Englishman. Empty Re: English wit in crisis - Clarkson 4th wittiest Englishman.

Post by Gary 111 Mon 15 Oct 2007, 12:23

I wouldn't have thought Winston Churchill was a barrel of laughs either.

And Liam Gallagher? All his best lines were written for him by Noel for a start.

Though these surveys are usually made by someone walking around Iceland with a clipboard.
Gary 111
Gary 111

Number of posts : 5717
Registration date : 2007-09-02

http://www.flamingbails.com

Back to top Go down

English wit in crisis - Clarkson 4th wittiest Englishman. Empty Re: English wit in crisis - Clarkson 4th wittiest Englishman.

Post by JKLever Mon 15 Oct 2007, 12:29

Weren't Oscar wilde & Spike Milligan oirish?
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Mon 15 Oct 2007, 12:31

JKLever wrote:Weren't Oscar wilde & Spike Milligan oirish?

So much so that Spike could never get a British passport.
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by Invader Zim Mon 15 Oct 2007, 12:31

Millligan is Indian.
Invader Zim
Invader Zim

Number of posts : 6396
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : none

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Mon 15 Oct 2007, 12:32

Agree. Clarkson is a c0ck with a tw@t sense of humour.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Mon 15 Oct 2007, 12:33

Who is surprised to find LLL reading Wilde's complete works? Looking for the dirty bits, no doubt.
tac
tac

Number of posts : 19270
Flag/Background : pon

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Mon 15 Oct 2007, 12:36

tac wrote:Who is surprised to find LLL reading Wilde's complete works? Looking for the dirty bits, no doubt.

No one.

Judging by the lack of comments on it
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Mon 15 Oct 2007, 12:37

taipan wrote:
JKLever wrote:Weren't Oscar wilde & Spike Milligan oirish?

So much so that Spike could never get a British passport.

After the death of friend Harry Secombe from cancer, he said, "I'm glad he
died before me, because I didn't want him to sing at my funeral."

Gold
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by doctorspin Mon 15 Oct 2007, 12:39

Gary 111 wrote:I wouldn't have thought Winston Churchill was a barrel of laughs either.

And Liam Gallagher? All his best lines were written for him by Noel for a start.

Though these surveys are usually made by someone walking around Iceland with a clipboard.
That Liam Gallagher one wasn't even penned by Noel. That one has been around since Gerald Ford was Prez (1974-1977). Our Liam would have been 2 at the time, so I suspect the witty phrase did not eminate from him. Noel would have been 7, so it could have conceivably been penned by him, but........I doubt it.

I suspect the old chewing gum-straight line gag actually predates Ol' Gerry Ford's unelected presidency which would discount the literary icons that are the Gallaghers.

Still, Nixon did say that he wasn't a criminal so it was perfectly correct for Ford to pardon him for having nothing to do with Watergate before he was even impeached.

Nixon's actual words were...."I am not a criminal" so actually, it's surprising that Ol' Tricky Dicky himself isn't somewhere near the top of this current Witty Guy poll.
doctorspin
doctorspin

English wit in crisis - Clarkson 4th wittiest Englishman. 7EoDRAk

Number of posts : 2746

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Mon 15 Oct 2007, 12:43

doctorspin wrote:
Nixon's actual words were...."I am not a criminal" so actually, it's surprising that Ol' Tricky Dicky himself isn't somewhere near the top of this current Witty Guy poll.

Close to "I did not have sex with that woman"
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Lara Lara Laughs Mon 15 Oct 2007, 12:46

Gary 111 wrote:I wouldn't have thought Winston Churchill was a barrel of laughs either.

Are you joking? Churchill was the man.

Churchill quotes:

From now on, ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put.

He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire.

I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.

Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.

And there's that famous Churchill at a party one.

Some woman: Winston, you're drunk!

Winston: Ah yes, but in the mourning I shall be sober whereas you shall always be ugly.

And:

Some woman: If I were your wife I'd poison your tea.

Winston: If you were my wife, I'd drink it.
Lara Lara Laughs
Lara Lara Laughs

Number of posts : 8943

Back to top Go down

Post by doctorspin Mon 15 Oct 2007, 12:47

taipan wrote:
doctorspin wrote:

Yeay! Another witty classic. How does the USA manage to continue such a fine line in hilarious witty one-liner Top-Men?
doctorspin
doctorspin

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Mon 15 Oct 2007, 12:49

"I smoked pot... but I did not inhale".

Duckhead.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Mon 15 Oct 2007, 12:49

Lara Lara Laughs wrote:

Churchill quotes:

From now on, ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put.

Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.

Winston: Ah yes, but in the mourning I shall be sober whereas you shall always be ugly.

And:

OMG, he's moved on to the collected works of WSLC.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by doctorspin Mon 15 Oct 2007, 12:50

doctorspin wrote:
taipan wrote:
doctorspin wrote:

Yeay! Another witty classic. How does the USA manage to continue such a fine line in hilarious witty one-liner Top-Men?
On reflection, it seems that these fantastic witticisms are all in the context of denying nefarious deeds. Hmmmmmm, must indicate something, but I'm not sure what ATM.

And yeh, Churchill....what a guy! Quite brilliant in the sharp, witty retorts.
doctorspin
doctorspin

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Mon 15 Oct 2007, 12:50

taipan wrote:
tac wrote:Who is surprised to find LLL reading Wilde's complete works? Looking for the dirty bits, no doubt.

No one.

And what a little bitch you've become.
tac
tac

Back to top Go down

Post by doctorspin Mon 15 Oct 2007, 12:51

Batfink Begins wrote:"I smoked pot... but I did not inhale".

Duckhead.
They just keep coming from those Top-Men from the other side of the pond.
doctorspin
doctorspin

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Mon 15 Oct 2007, 12:53

Lara Lara Laughs wrote:

Churchill quotes:

And:

Amazing what a quick google can come up with. BTW, Did you notice that The Pogues used that line from Churchill for the title of their 2nd album "Rum, sodomy and the lash".
tac
tac

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Mon 15 Oct 2007, 12:53

tac wrote:
taipan wrote:

No one.

I bow to the master.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Mon 15 Oct 2007, 12:54

taipan wrote:
tac wrote:
taipan wrote:

No one.

I bow to the master.

Very Happy touche!
tac
tac

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary 111 Mon 15 Oct 2007, 12:55

There's an old saying in Tennessee - i know its in Texas. Probably in Tennessee. That says - fool me once ... ... shame on, ... shame on... you. Fool me, you can't get fooled again!
Gary 111
Gary 111

Number of posts : 5717

http://www.flamingbails.com

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Mon 15 Oct 2007, 12:57

Gary 111 wrote:There's an old saying in Tennessee - i know its in Texas. Probably in Tennessee. That says - fool me once ... ... shame on, ... shame on... you. Fool me, you can't get fooled again!

WTF? Isn't it fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me?
tac
tac

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Mon 15 Oct 2007, 12:59

tac wrote:
Gary 111 wrote:There's an old saying in Tennessee - i know its in Texas. Probably in Tennessee. That says - fool me once ... ... shame on, ... shame on... you. Fool me, you can't get fooled again!

Sure had me fooled
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Mon 15 Oct 2007, 12:59

taipan wrote:
tac wrote:

Sure had me fooled

Wat you talkin bout, fool?
tac
tac

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next