Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Old Movies

+19
Allan D
doremi
Paul Keating
skully
tac
Big Dog
Merlin
Demelza
Hass
taipan
Bradman
ten years after
Red
Invader Zim
DJ_Smerk
Basil
LeFromage
JKLever
Lara Lara Laughs
23 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

Old Movies - Page 5 Empty Re: Old Movies

Post by Guest Mon 17 Aug 2009, 19:13

I view Kes the same way I view The Wrestler. Techincally decent films but both leave me with absolutely no desire to watch them again.

I might watch Apocalypse Now tonight, wanted to watch Blade Runner but left it at my Mum's house like an idiot. 200+ miles is probably a bit excessive just to pick it up. Though to be fair, if any film is worth driving that far for it would be Blade Runner.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jontyh Mon 17 Aug 2009, 19:32

Fair enough. I think that the performance of David Bradley and the beautifully judged naturalism make it an absolute classic.
Jontyh
Jontyh

Old Movies - Page 5 MPDozzd

Number of posts : 2257
Registration date : 2008-01-18
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 17 Aug 2009, 19:48

Jontyh wrote:Fair enough. I think that the performance of David Bradley and the beautifully judged naturalism make it an absolute classic.
Certainly not denying that, I just don't really like films that build your hope up and then crush you, exactly the same way as the Wrestler does (though probably not to the same extent).

If I HAD to choose a top 5, then at the moment it would probably be:

Blade Runner
For a Few Dollars More
Shawshank Redemption (yeah it's cliché I know)
Apocalypse Now
T2

Back to top Go down

Post by Jontyh Mon 17 Aug 2009, 19:59

Ah - ok. You have an emotional involvement that you like to be resolved or satisfied. I'm all for films that do that, but I also love the bleak outcome.
I might have included One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest or Betty Blue for the same reason!
Jontyh
Jontyh

Old Movies - Page 5 MPDozzd

Number of posts : 2257
Registration date : 2008-01-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 28 Aug 2009, 21:53

Just finished watching Once Upon a Time in the West. I think I can safely say that it's in my top 5 now, utterly incredible.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 29 Aug 2009, 03:42

vilkrang wrote:Just finished watching Once Upon a Time in the West. I think I can safely say that it's in my top 5 now, utterly incredible.
First film that I've watched immediately after watching it the first time. It might just be the best thing ever created.

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ_Smerk Sat 29 Aug 2009, 03:45

Ah Vilks is sober.

NAH. Qunt.
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Number of posts : 15938
Registration date : 2007-09-08
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by footwork Sat 29 Aug 2009, 14:01

Allan D wrote:Prints his name as *****.

Another classic opening brought to mind by the T20 Finals today (why no thread?), John Sturges' hommage to John Ford and Fred Zinneman's High Noon with Frankie Laine vocals instead of Tex Ritter. Lots of opening credits however, don't know what Burt Lancaster thought. The saloon sequence was adapted by Howard Hawks with John Wayne and Dean Martin in his 1959 oater Rio Bravo:

Okay so I'm telling ya this joke:

'I don't like country music, but I don't want to denigrate those who do. For those who like country music, 'denigrate' means put down.'

I thought that was mildly amusing when I told it to a particular group of peeps, supposed enjoyers of all things musical. Well they actually din even get it, the stoooopid sods!! Seriously. Bloody hell, and you reckon This place is inhabited by dipsticks...pfft...you're a bunch of geniuses...

Anyhoo, re the movie: Just another ramble, because well, I've trodden Aussie cricket into the dirt with my stiletto heel and I'm enjoying its screams. I'll let it up when Hilbitch goes. Twisted Evil

So, My Darling Clementine is the song from that there movie I believe; and Clementine happens to be my favourite girl-name in the world. Or Clemmie. Very olde-worlde and romantic. When I informed b/f of this, after he threw his head back and laughed he said no future female offspring of his would be called Clementine, or any variation of same. Then he walked off still shrieking.

Shocked No

Okay, sorry for the interruption. Please continue... :silent:
footwork
footwork

Number of posts : 666
Registration date : 2008-12-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 29 Aug 2009, 22:02

Continuing my current old films (and westerns in particular) just finished watching High Noon.

Probably a bit unfair to view it right after Once Upon a Time in the West, High Noon was good but not on the same level as OUATITW.

Back to top Go down

Post by footwork Sun 30 Aug 2009, 00:52

At least there was One relevant piece of information (re. a song theme from that movie), in my post, even if well hidden.
Tell me You haven't gone off on a tangent recently, ya funny crazy drunk. Pot. kettle. black. Twisted Evil

Uppity Cowboys-and-Indians-ist. Laughing
footwork
footwork

Back to top Go down

Post by Allan D Sun 30 Aug 2009, 01:26

Dear F

shome mishtake shurely

My Darling Clementine comes from the eponymous 1946 John Ford version of the Gunfight at the OK Corral with Henry Ford as Earp. The song is indeed included in that film. I, however, posted a clip from the 1957 John Sturges film starring Burt Lancaster as Wyatt Earp and Kirk Douglas as Doc Holliday entitled after the event in which the traditional song does not appear and the score was specifically written for the film by the great Western composer Dmitri Tiomkin who also penned the score for the 1952 Fred Zinneman film, "High Noon" starring Gary Cooper and Grace Kelly

Best Wishes

Allan D.

Last edited by Allan D on Sun 30 Aug 2009, 02:21; edited 1 time in total
Allan D
Allan D

Number of posts : 6635
Registration date : 2007-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by footwork Sun 30 Aug 2009, 01:57

Is 'Clementine' not in the original? Does Footsie make mishtakes?? Aw naw!! (That was a Scottish impersonation.)
Since you mentioned the original in passing, I think, I just rambled a bit about that pretty name.
I do love your knowledge though Mr.D, both about cricket and films. I love you aces

And to really lower the tone of this thread, the one and only Western I ever truly loved was 'Tombstone' with Val Kilmer as Doc Holliday. "I'll be your little Huckleberry." Stole the show for mine.
Kurt Russeell I think was Wyatt. "Tell your friends that I'M comin back and HELL'S comin with me.'

Ya gotta love lines like that.
Unless you're a purist of course.
footwork
footwork

Back to top Go down

Post by Allan D Sun 30 Aug 2009, 02:17

footwork wrote:Is 'Clementine' not in the original?

It surely is, just not in the 1957 film, "Gunfight at the OK Corral" which was the one I posted (but sadly removed by YouTube, I see).

My favourite line? - has to be from John Ford's last great oeuvre "Who Shot Liberty Valance?":

Ransom Stoddard: You're not going to use the story, Mr. Scott?
Maxwell Scott: No, sir. This is the West, sir. When the legend becomes fact, print the legend.
Allan D
Allan D

Number of posts : 6635
Registration date : 2007-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by footwork Sun 30 Aug 2009, 02:43

From that quote, nothing much has changed in the journalistic world... Smile

Have just googled the movie and there was another great conversation, about equality, between Pompey and Stoddard. aces

Think I'll have to watch a few more classic Westerns. I love you
footwork
footwork

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Sun 30 Aug 2009, 04:34

"Unforgiven". Clintwood sat on that movie for years until he thought he could do it justice.
Bradman
Bradman

Number of posts : 17402
Registration date : 2008-08-13
Flag/Background : war

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 03 Sep 2009, 00:11

Just gave The Good the Bad and the Ugly another go.

Considering it's seen as the holy grail of westerns I still find myself pretty uninspired by it overall. I mean it IS a great film, but in my opinion it's not even the best film in that trilogy let alone the best western ever.

Back to top Go down

Post by ten years after Thu 03 Sep 2009, 10:59

She wore a Yellow Ribbon is the classic western IMO. A 'Sprawling epic' as they say but full of class and a great story line. Add the typical Wayne style which really defined the whole genre and you have a marvelous movie. What I also like is, although there is lots of violence going on around the movie, you never actually see anyone get killed.

ten years after

Number of posts : 1210
Registration date : 2007-09-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Thu 03 Sep 2009, 11:17

Bradman wrote:"Unforgiven". Clintwood sat on that movie for years until he thought he could do it justice.
Great film.
Has twice been the subject of study at 'A' levels here.

Amongst the "Wessie" genre, I liked Sam Peckinpah's The Wild Bunch ... and of course,
Kevin Costner's Dances with Wolves.

Merlin

Number of posts : 14718
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : afg

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Thu 03 Sep 2009, 12:36

I love Dead Man. Not much chat, Neil Young noodling in the background non-stop throughout the film. Ol' JJ classic.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5