Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Amir: insight is the first step towards his rehabilitation

+10
Basil
Brass Monkey
horace
Henry
embee
taipan
The One
PlanetPakistan
JGK
lardbucket
14 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Amir: insight is the first step towards his rehabilitation Empty Amir: insight is the first step towards his rehabilitation

Post by lardbucket Mon 19 Mar 2012, 20:44

LINK

Atherton's involvement seems to have been beneficial to the young man. His acceptance (at least partial acceptance) of his role in this disgraceful affair, an implicit apology, and a desire to put things right, all give hope for his recovery, rehabilitation, and perhaps redemption.

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38123
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Amir: insight is the first step towards his rehabilitation Empty Re: Amir: insight is the first step towards his rehabilitation

Post by JGK Mon 19 Mar 2012, 20:45

I would have thought getting caught is the first step to rehabilitation.

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Amir: insight is the first step towards his rehabilitation Empty Re: Amir: insight is the first step towards his rehabilitation

Post by lardbucket Mon 19 Mar 2012, 20:50

I guess so, but simply getting caught probably isn't sufficient or essential to the process ... nor does it require any effort on the offender's part ... but understanding the issue and admitting error must be absolutely essential to recovery.

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38123

Back to top Go down

Post by PlanetPakistan Tue 20 Mar 2012, 02:14

One of the best things about our life is that there is always a chance for redemption. Amir should convince himself that he is lucky that despite such a big mistake a) He is OUT of jail while other 2 are still in b) He can come back to cricket at the age of 23 and can STILL have a 12-14 year career.
PlanetPakistan
PlanetPakistan

Number of posts : 10285
Registration date : 2008-02-06
Flag/Background : pak

Back to top Go down

Post by The One Tue 20 Mar 2012, 03:59

Amir returned the calls twice. However, he did give him his bank details. "I gave him my contact details because he was Salman's friend,"

your bank details are part of your 'contact' details? and especially when you give them to a known bookie? weird

The One

Number of posts : 9035
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Tue 20 Mar 2012, 04:06

Sounds like he's playing the "dumb" card.
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Tue 20 Mar 2012, 04:11

being a pro sportsman there is a fair chance it isnt a card ....
embee
embee

Number of posts : 26217
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Tue 20 Mar 2012, 05:57

I do feel sorry for him, as there is a definite hierarchical set up in Pakistani cricket, and he no doubt felt (correctly) that Butt could ensure his life in cricket was made very difficult if he didn't comply with what was said. I mean, he was 18, FFS, from a poor family, and being told by his Captain to do these things or else face consequences.

Rock and a hard place.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Tue 20 Mar 2012, 06:04

Henry wrote:I do feel sorry for him, as there is a definite hierarchical set up in Pakistani cricket, and he no doubt felt (correctly) that Butt could ensure his life in cricket was made very difficult if he didn't comply with what was said. I mean, he was 18, FFS, from a poor family, and being told by his Captain to do these things or else face consequences.

Rock and a hard place.

It's the same excuse that gets trotted out every time a Pak gets caught for something.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Tue 20 Mar 2012, 06:58

as opposed to Hansie and other corrupt saffies - who all plead guilty and make restitution..they were supper smart weren't they?
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Tue 20 Mar 2012, 06:59

horace wrote:as opposed to Hansie and other corrupt saffies - who all plead guilty and make restitution..they were supper smart weren't they?

Hansie got a life ban that I fully supported.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Tue 20 Mar 2012, 07:01

And of course we won't discuss Waugh and Warne.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Tue 20 Mar 2012, 07:02

taipan wrote:
horace wrote:as opposed to Hansie and other corrupt saffies - who all plead guilty and make restitution..they were supper smart weren't they?

no jail time tho
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Tue 20 Mar 2012, 07:03

horace wrote:
taipan wrote:

no jail time tho

...and what he did was worse
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Tue 20 Mar 2012, 07:05

horace wrote:
taipan wrote:

no jail time tho

At least we didn't hide it away.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Tue 20 Mar 2012, 07:07

taipan wrote:
horace wrote:
taipan wrote:

no jail time tho

tho I recollect he hid from visiting the Bannies for questioning by the police
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Tue 20 Mar 2012, 07:08

anyway...good luck to the young Amir boy with the next phase of his life
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Tue 20 Mar 2012, 08:10

Amir is too young to not be given a chance of redemption. At the end of the day, he WAS extremely young when all this happened, and is an exceptional talent. I'm prepared to cheer him on if he comes back with a bang.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Tue 20 Mar 2012, 09:43

'I iz a poor naive little village boy. I knows not what spot-fixin iz and my boss bullied me with his willy.'

Yeah, yeah, yeah....

No doubt that he was a junior member and it is easier to get 'led astray' at a young age but it doesn't rest too easily with me that this interview has been done at this stage of his 'rehabilitation' AND that Athers is involved, trying to give the whole 6 pager some credence.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Tue 20 Mar 2012, 18:55

horace wrote:anyway...good luck to the young Amir boy with the next phase of his life

18 seems a little bit late to be learning right from wrong if you ask me.
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15936

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Wed 21 Mar 2012, 01:11

Basil wrote:
horace wrote:anyway...good luck to the young Amir boy with the next phase of his life

18 seems a little bit late to be learning right from wrong if you ask me.

....lots of people get 2nd chances later in life and try to improve...
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Wed 21 Mar 2012, 02:04

horace wrote:
taipan wrote:
horace wrote:
taipan wrote:

no jail time tho

tho I recollect he hid from visiting the Bannies for questioning by the police

That was Gibbs I think.
Red
Red

Number of posts : 17071
Registration date : 2007-10-28

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Wed 21 Mar 2012, 05:00

Gibbs and Boje, I would say. But both of them were eventually interviewed by the police in India.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Wed 21 Mar 2012, 14:09

Bollocks.

Once a cheat, always a cheat.
He's done it once ... who's to say he won't do it the next time when thrice the cash is offered?
He's tainted .... get.rid.of.

Merlin

Number of posts : 14718
Registration date : 2007-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Wed 21 Mar 2012, 14:12

I don't think he'll do it again. But I think now that he's got his ban, he shouldn't be given exposure until he's free to play again.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next