Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Australia vs England: Which country is greater?

+18
JGK
spangler
lardbucket
Lara Lara Laughs
Winkle Spinner
JKLever
DJ_Smerk
eowyn
Merlin
*Buckaroo*
Brass Monkey
Chivalry Augustus
Fred Nerk
HH_pink
taipan
tac
Invader Zim
Paul Keating
22 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Australia vs England: Which country is greater? - Page 2 Empty Re: Australia vs England: Which country is greater?

Post by *Buckaroo* Fri 21 Dec 2007, 11:40

I think they have always been led by an elite group of manipulators, who have been very smart operators, thus far to the benefit of both but now they have parted ways.

and thus the loss of direction now.

You need to pay more attention to my "New World Order" thread
*Buckaroo*
*Buckaroo*

Number of posts : 4771
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : wi

http://exc4cricket.forum-motion.com/index.htm

Back to top Go down

Australia vs England: Which country is greater? - Page 2 Empty Re: Australia vs England: Which country is greater?

Post by eowyn Fri 21 Dec 2007, 11:44

You need to pay more attention to my "New World Order" thread

Oh no I don't.....
eowyn
eowyn

Number of posts : 11132
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : yrk

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ_Smerk Fri 21 Dec 2007, 11:45

Wales.
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Number of posts : 15938
Registration date : 2007-09-08
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Fri 21 Dec 2007, 12:01

DJ_Smerk wrote:Wales.

Sheep.

Surely the answer to the original question is that both have things the other would want?

I love the likes of Augustus who would like to run away as fast as possible LOL, they're exactly the whinging pom we hear about.

I'v never been to Oz but i'd love the weather (in moderation) - constant weather is boring to me (I'm currently looking out of my window at snow capped mountains), and i'd love the beaches. But I also love our green countryside.

So yeah - give me the best of both worlds please.
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by eowyn Fri 21 Dec 2007, 12:10

That's a very sensible post Mr Lever and I agree with you whole-heartedly. I do think both countries would be even better though if they weren't populated by so many annoying human inhabitants.......
eowyn
eowyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Winkle Spinner Fri 21 Dec 2007, 12:26

I think the point that Australia has no culture is:
1. Largely not true. As far as I understand it, Melbourne has one of the most diverse and active music scenes in the world, and art is moving in some very interesting directions too.
2. A bit rich coming from the english, who's largest contribution to culture in the last 50 years is the art of going to skanky clubs and then redecorating them with vomit at about 1 in the morning. What exactly have we achieved musically or artistically recently? A big hole in the floor of the Tate? Oh yeah, that's really fabulous. Even most of those middle class bourgeois hypocrites drinking french wine and italian coffee, and going to pizza express to listen to the jazz, daahling, wouldn't know what actual culture was if it came into their house and shat gleefully all over their wood-effect floors.

I quite like England. It's got nice scenery. And many of the people are quite tolerable. But cultured? How delusional. I think our stoic and silently disapproving mistrust of all things cultural was always one of our more charming traits. Come to that, I really miss dour. What happened to that? Now we're all either insufferably happy or emotionally incontinent.

Anyway, Australia's probably a really nice place too, with people and deadly insects alike adoring it for its clement weather. I wouldn't be surprised if it had its fair share of hypocrisy and crudeness and people that just make you cringe, but how is that different from here, exactly?
Winkle Spinner
Winkle Spinner

Number of posts : 953

Back to top Go down

Post by eowyn Fri 21 Dec 2007, 12:29

Don't worry Winkle, dour is alive and well as long as you are. (That's a compliment btw.)
eowyn
eowyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Fri 21 Dec 2007, 12:36

Winkle Spinner wrote:I think the point that Australia has no culture is:
1. Largely not true. As far as I understand it, Melbourne has one of the most diverse and active music scenes in the world, and art is moving in some very interesting directions too.
2. A bit rich coming from the english, who's largest contribution to culture in the last 50 years is the art of going to skanky clubs and then redecorating them with vomit at about 1 in the morning. What exactly have we achieved musically or artistically recently? A big hole in the floor of the Tate? Oh yeah, that's really fabulous. Even most of those middle class bourgeois hypocrites drinking french wine and italian coffee, and going to pizza express to listen to the jazz, daahling, wouldn't know what actual culture was if it came into their house and shat gleefully all over their wood-effect floors.

I quite like England. It's got nice scenery. And many of the people are quite tolerable. But cultured? How delusional. I think our stoic and silently disapproving mistrust of all things cultural was always one of our more charming traits. Come to that, I really miss dour. What happened to that? Now we're all either insufferably happy or emotionally incontinent.

Anyway, Australia's probably a really nice place too, with people and deadly insects alike adoring it for its clement weather. I wouldn't be surprised if it had its fair share of hypocrisy and crudeness and people that just make you cringe, but how is that different from here, exactly?

Right. I agree with most of it but, re: the highlighted part, don't bring your pseudo-intellectual jazz-orientated attitude to our music scene. It is easily the most diverse, vibrant and progressive music scene in the world.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Lara Lara Laughs Fri 21 Dec 2007, 12:45

Changed my mind. That's ^ the best Danny post of 2007.
Lara Lara Laughs
Lara Lara Laughs

Number of posts : 8943
Registration date : 2007-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Fri 21 Dec 2007, 12:49

Lara Lara Laughs wrote:Changed my mind. That's ^ the best Danny post of 2007.

Bullsh!t. That one was mediocre. Only by my standards, granted.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Fri 21 Dec 2007, 12:50

Australia doesn't have a Norfolk or a Derbyshire.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
116 - 9 - 400 - 4

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38071
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lara Lara Laughs Fri 21 Dec 2007, 12:50

Batfink Begins wrote:
Lara Lara Laughs wrote:Changed my mind. That's ^ the best Danny post of 2007.

Bullsh!t. That one was mediocre. Only by my standards, granted.

bounce
Lara Lara Laughs
Lara Lara Laughs

Back to top Go down

Post by Lara Lara Laughs Fri 21 Dec 2007, 12:52

lardbucket wrote:Australia doesn't have a Derbyshire.

Yeah, good point. Another reason to stay in England.
Lara Lara Laughs
Lara Lara Laughs

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Fri 21 Dec 2007, 12:52

Counterbalanced by Derby itself being a sheet-hole.
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by spangler Fri 21 Dec 2007, 12:53

lardbucket wrote:Australia doesn't have a Norfolk...

Tasmania
spangler
spangler

Australia vs England: Which country is greater? - Page 2 7EoDRAk

Number of posts : 2554
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Fri 21 Dec 2007, 12:54

Deeply wounded, Jay.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
116 - 9 - 400 - 4

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38071
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by spangler Fri 21 Dec 2007, 12:56

As are the inbred people of Norfolk Wink
spangler
spangler

Australia vs England: Which country is greater? - Page 2 7EoDRAk

Number of posts : 2554

Back to top Go down

Post by Winkle Spinner Fri 21 Dec 2007, 13:10

Batfink Begins wrote:
Winkle Spinner wrote:I think the point that Australia has no culture is:

Right. I agree with most of it but, re: the highlighted part, don't bring your pseudo-intellectual jazz-orientated attitude to our music scene. It is easily the most diverse, vibrant and progressive music scene in the world.

Perhaps I was being a bit harsh on our music scene, but in my part of the country, the majority of bands I see are either metal bands, which I would now argue are largely pointless as they're not upsetting anyone any more, or yet another indie band with a lead singer pretending to be considerably less posh than they, in fact, are. It's enough to make you despair.
Winkle Spinner
Winkle Spinner

Number of posts : 953

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Fri 21 Dec 2007, 13:13

Winkle Spinner wrote:Perhaps I was being a bit harsh on our music scene, but in my part of the country, the majority of bands I see are either metal bands, which I would now argue are largely pointless as they're not upsetting anyone any more, or yet another indie band with a lead singer pretending to be considerably less posh than they, in fact, are. It's enough to make you despair.

Other places are thriving. Sorry your sax-blowing isn't cleaning up, but there's all-sorts around. The overstatement of 50 years has been blown away, we've pretty much owned it.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Fri 21 Dec 2007, 14:21

I've lived in both England and Australia and love both. More accurately, I've lived in Sydney and London - my 2 years in London were among the best years of my life and I will probably always regret not staying longer.

There is a huge amount of shared culture between the two nations naturally and for me that allows the differences to be enjoyed and appreciated rather than treated with mistrust or ignorance (as it might be between England and Pakistan for instance).

For me, Aust v England is a bit like L v T - we should enjoy them both and treat each for what it is rather than what it isn't.

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by doremi Fri 21 Dec 2007, 14:34

Weird topic. No one's going to reach a consensus(?) either way.
doremi
doremi

Number of posts : 9743

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 21 Dec 2007, 16:45

Australia: outdoor lifestyle and can-do attitude means better at sport

England: unique self-effacing sense of humour means better at comedy

I like Aussie women. I have to make a big effort to pull British girls but Aussie birds do the pulling for me.

Back to top Go down

Post by Eric Air Emu Fri 21 Dec 2007, 18:16

Which is the greater country- New Zealand or Australia?
Eric Air Emu
Eric Air Emu

Number of posts : 1954
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Fri 21 Dec 2007, 18:53

Eric Air Emu wrote:Which is the greater country- New Zealand or Australia?

Depends if you can swim
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 21 Dec 2007, 19:33

NZ seems to have niceer scenery judging by the LOTR films.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next