Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The repercussions

+18
lardbucket
doctorspin
skully
Basil
Mick Sawyer
Ross
Blackadder_
bliksem
please don't yell
furriner
Zat
Fred Nerk
prasad14
Nath
*Buckaroo*
tac
doremi
Henry
22 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

The repercussions - Page 5 Empty Re: The repercussions

Post by skully Sun 06 Jan 2008, 10:28

tac wrote:
skully wrote:
Basil wrote:
skully wrote:Anywho, back to the topic. Surely Seaweed has to come in for Jaffer. And Yuvraj must be on thin ice. And what will be the make-up of the 4 bowler Indian attack? Does Pathan come in, or does Bhajji still partner Jumbo in a two-pronged spin attack?

From an Aussie perspective I'd have Spud in for Midge but I suspect the Banjo lefty may survive, with Hogggyyy!!! carrying the drinks.

Sehwag batting at the WACA? - I would pay good money to watch that. If Hoggard could inconvenience him with throat balls in India, I shudder to think what he will make of the Aussie fast bowling.
A fair call Bas, but Jaffer is clueless at the moment. Sehwag couldn't be any worse. And he goes hard at the ball, so may squirt plenty over the slips.

I had a girlfriend who squirted over her slips a lot . . . you can see pics here www.squirtalot.com
bounce

As I typed the words, I wondered what your reply would be.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105884
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Sun 06 Jan 2008, 10:30

naughty
tac
tac

Number of posts : 19270
Flag/Background : pon

Back to top Go down

Post by doremi Sun 06 Jan 2008, 10:33

tac wrote:
doremi wrote:
tac wrote:
doremi wrote:
tac wrote:
furriner wrote:
Mick Sawyer wrote:"Furry, I think you're being a bit tough on Punter"

I'd agree with tac in this instance furry. You may not have noticed that the grill of his visor smashed into the turf as he landed, after he'd made a terrific effort to turn and lunge. With the adrenalin & a head knock I don't believe he can be slammed as for that appeal.

Mick, this is how I saw it: You have the ball in your hand palm down. The ball touches the ground with some impact. IMVHO, there is no way you cannot sense that contact with the ground has been made. No farking way, including whether you're lunging, twisting etc. I have played enough cricket - at the village idiots level as I keep saying, but a lot of it- to believe this with certainty.

Ponting also had a close catch in the first innings and immediately said not out.

And when the game looked in the balance, his integrity went right down the toilet.

Nonsense. You guys really are clowns. Remember the plumb LBW that was not given to save a test against England last year? Remember the big edge in the ODI in India where your last batsmen managed to scrape a win?

Just a couple of huge decisions off the top of my head. Can't remember too much sooking from you guys on those instances?

Pull your head out of your backside. If you can't see the difference between dubious umpiring decisions and blatant cheating by claiming a catch you grounded, you're seriously not worth arguing with right now.

My bad, do-boy . . . that post was meant to be on a different thread in response to a different poster.

I need to calm down.....
doremi
doremi

Number of posts : 9743
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Sun 06 Jan 2008, 10:34

*Buckaroo* wrote:Why don't ex-international players be appointed as umpires ?

I mean there is a pretty large pool to choose from

Where's the logic here? The best umpire at the moment is taufel, who (when I last checked) played no international cricket.

The second best is Aleem Dar ... ditto

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
116 - 9 - 400 - 4

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38069

Back to top Go down

Post by *Buckaroo* Sun 06 Jan 2008, 10:42

yeah, so the logic is simple Dar and Taufel are on the younger side.

And the only international umpire from India who was on the elite panel was Venkatraghvan. I think Darrel Hair played a bit of international cricket as well.

So the theory emerges that good umpires are clearly demarcated into two categories. Either you are a budding genius or else you played international cricket.
*Buckaroo*
*Buckaroo*

Number of posts : 4771
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : wi

http://exc4cricket.forum-motion.com/index.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by *Buckaroo* Sun 06 Jan 2008, 10:47

Cricket-India skipper accuses Aussies of bad sportsmanship

By Julian Linden

SYDNEY, Jan 6 (Reuters) - India captain Anil Kumble launched an astonishing attack on Australia's cricketers after his team were beaten in the second test on Sunday, accusing them of breaching the spirit of the game.

Kumble was unable to contain his fury after his team were beaten by 122 runs in a thrilling and controversial end to one of the most absorbing matches ever seen at the Sydney Cricket Ground.

Asked by Indian journalists about Australia's tactics, Kumble echoed something similar to the immortal line used by the Australian captain Bill Woodfull during the 1932-33 Bodyline series against England.

"Only one team was playing with the spirit of the game," Kumble said.

He also said he was prevented from elaborating on his specific complaints about the Australian players but indicated he was upset at the refusal of their batsmen to walk when they were clearly out.

The Indians were on the wrong end of a number of bad umpiring decisions throughout the course of the match but the most crucial occurred on the first day when Australian all-rounder Andrew Symonds was given not out by West Indian umpire Steve Bucknor.

Symonds, who later admitted he had nicked the ball and should have been sent packing, was on 30 at the time but went on to make 162 not out and help Australia recover from a batting slump to make 463.

"We like to play hard on the field and we expect that from Australia as well," Kumble said.

"I've played my cricket very sincerely and very honestly and that's the approach my team takes on the field and I expect that from the Australians as well."

Kumble also bristled when asked about some of Australia's appeals after Rahul Dravid was controversially given out, caught behind on the last day when he had failed to make contact with the ball.

"We had decided that we will be honest and when a catch is taken the player says he's taken it, the captain nods his head and the umpire gives him out," Kumble said.

STRAINED RELATIONS

Relations between the teams were already strained after Ponting lodged a complaint about Indian spinner Harbhajan Singh for allegedly making a racist comment to Symonds, but the Australian skipper denied there was any lingering bad blood between the sides.

"(I have) Absolutely no doubt about this match being played in the right spirit," Ponting said.

Kumble did admit his team had batted poorly on the last day, collapsing to be all out for 210 when they needed to bat through the day to salvage a draw.

However, he insisted his team still did not deserve to lose.

"The fair result would have been a draw," he said.

"It's tough when you've played all forms of cricket over the last 25 years and end up on the losing side like this."

He added: "We could have probably showed a bit more fight and we could have saved the game."

(Reporting by Julian Linden; Editing by Martin Petty)
*Buckaroo*
*Buckaroo*

Back to top Go down

Post by *Buckaroo* Sun 06 Jan 2008, 10:50

No Bucknor for us please, Indians to ICC

Sydney (PTI): Furious with the series of umpiring errors in the second cricket Test against Australia, the Indian team management on Sunday requested the ICC not to depute the two umpires -- Steve Bucknor and Mark Benson -- for any of their future matches.

Team manager Chetan Chauhan said that the request would be sent to the ICC and it was for the game's governing body to take a decision on the matter.

"We have received a direction from the BCCI to lodge an official protest against the umpiring in the Sydney Test. We will do so," Chauhan said.

"We will also request the ICC not to assign the two umpires, particularly Steve Bucknor for any of our future matches," he added.

India lost the riveting second cricket Test by 122 runs but the match witnessed a large number of dubious decisions most of which went against the visitors.

The team management had initially decided not to lodge a formal complain after the opening day but has now had change of mind following the horrendous decisions on the final day.
*Buckaroo*
*Buckaroo*

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Sun 06 Jan 2008, 10:51

Didn't see Yuvraj walk in the first Test.

Mind you it doesn't matter in his case.

116 - 9 - 400 - 4

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Sun 06 Jan 2008, 10:53

"It's tough when you've played all forms of cricket over the last 25 years and end up on the losing side like this."

What the fark does that mean, Kumble?
tac
tac

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Sun 06 Jan 2008, 10:54

Seriously, with this attitude, the Indians will lose 4 nil. It would be better to reflect on their good play in this game and regroup for Perth, where I think they have a good chance, especially with Dravid and maybe Dhoni back in form, Hayden possibly out of the Australian side, and most likely a one-dimensional Australian attack (no spin).

116 - 9 - 400 - 4

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by WideWally Sun 06 Jan 2008, 10:54

hello

Last edited by on Sun 06 Jan 2008, 10:57; edited 1 time in total
WideWally
WideWally

Number of posts : 9698
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Sun 06 Jan 2008, 10:55

*Buckaroo* wrote:No Bucknor for us please, Indians to ICC

Sydney (PTI): Furious with the series of umpiring errors in the second cricket Test against Australia, the Indian team management on Sunday requested the ICC not to depute the two umpires -- Steve Bucknor and Mark Benson -- for any of their future matches.

Team manager Chetan Chauhan said that the request would be sent to the ICC and it was for the game's governing body to take a decision on the matter.

"We have received a direction from the BCCI to lodge an official protest against the umpiring in the Sydney Test. We will do so," Chauhan said.

"We will also request the ICC not to assign the two umpires, particularly Steve Bucknor for any of our future matches," he added.

India lost the riveting second cricket Test by 122 runs but the match witnessed a large number of dubious decisions most of which went against the visitors.

The team management had initially decided not to lodge a formal complain after the opening day but has now had change of mind following the horrendous decisions on the final day.

I reckon it's fair enough that teams can object to certain umpires, like defence teams do with jurors. At the absolute minimum it'd stop the moaning at every error.

116 - 9 - 400 - 4

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by *Buckaroo* Sun 06 Jan 2008, 10:56

tac wrote:"It's tough when you've played all forms of cricket over the last 25 years and end up on the losing side like this."

Well Kumble was out there in the middle, not you and me so he should know what he is saying.

And pretty much it would break anyone's heart to see the #11 who is a budding fast bowler appear so distraught on the field. When a team carries young bowlers they do want to pass on such negative experiences to them.

Kumble being a a bowling captain unlike Ponting has his own point of view.

Last edited by on Sun 06 Jan 2008, 10:57; edited 1 time in total
*Buckaroo*
*Buckaroo*

Back to top Go down

Post by please don't yell Sun 06 Jan 2008, 10:57

As i was stating earlier ridiculous hypocrisy from the Indians.

They don't want bucknor benson or hair to umpire yet they haven't been able to produce one competent umpire in years.

please don't yell

Number of posts : 1138
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by Nath Sun 06 Jan 2008, 10:57

lardbucket wrote:Seriously, with this attitude, the Indians will lose 4 nil. It would be better to reflect on their good play in this game and regroup for Perth, where I think they have a good chance, especially with Dravid and maybe Dhoni back in form, Hayden possibly out of the Australian side, and most likely a one-dimensional Australian attack (no spin).

they still have Symonds (pending fitness) and Clarke.
Nath
Nath

Number of posts : 11958
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Sun 06 Jan 2008, 10:58

Nath wrote:
lardbucket wrote:Seriously, with this attitude, the Indians will lose 4 nil. It would be better to reflect on their good play in this game and regroup for Perth, where I think they have a good chance, especially with Dravid and maybe Dhoni back in form, Hayden possibly out of the Australian side, and most likely a one-dimensional Australian attack (no spin).

And if Gump bowls much slower . . .
tac
tac

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Sun 06 Jan 2008, 10:59

*Buckaroo* wrote:
tac wrote:"It's tough when you've played all forms of cricket over the last 25 years and end up on the losing side like this."

Well Kumble was out there in the middle, not you and me so he should know what he is saying.

And pretty much it would break anyone's heart to see the #11 who is a budding fast bowler appear so distraught on the field. When a team carries young bowlers they do want to pass on such negative experiences to them.

Kumble being a a bowling captain unlike Ponting has his own point of view.

Sharma looks an outstanding prospect for India; and I don't think today's loss will harm his development in the long term.

116 - 9 - 400 - 4

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by *Buckaroo* Sun 06 Jan 2008, 11:00

One more thing ... I think today he might just have lost faith in the institution of cricket.
*Buckaroo*
*Buckaroo*

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Sun 06 Jan 2008, 11:01

Nath wrote:

I don't think Symonds will be bowling spin in Perth, and I think Clarke relies almost entirely on unpredictable bounce on very well-used wickets.

116 - 9 - 400 - 4

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Sun 06 Jan 2008, 11:04

It would be a disgrace if the ICC agreed to replacing Bucknor for the Perth test just because the Indians chucked a wobbly. Ideally, the ICC will pay Bucknor a stack of money to see out his contract.

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by Eric Air Emu Sun 06 Jan 2008, 11:06

To be fair Bucknor & Benson should have known the main criteria for appointing international umpires is that overall they have to give their bad decisions in favour of the various sub-continental teams. They showed a serious lack of career saving nous and probably deserve the can.
Eric Air Emu
Eric Air Emu

Number of posts : 1954
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by please don't yell Sun 06 Jan 2008, 11:09

It would be pretty much the end of the ICC if they back down.

if bucknor is found during his review to be not up to scratch that's one thing but if you start sacking umps when one team gets a few calls they don't like then it's out of control it would all but mean the end of the ICC as the BCCI would be running the game.

please don't yell

Number of posts : 1138

Back to top Go down

Post by *Buckaroo* Sun 06 Jan 2008, 11:11

Sordid ending mars enthralling Test

By John Coomber
January 06, 2008 BY most measures, this should have gone down as one of the truly great Test match finishes.

On display were all the ingredients that make Test cricket the magical game that it is.

Last man in, 19-year-old Ishant Sharma, stood to face Michael Clarke as the late sun slanted across the ground, elongating the shadows of the fielders who perched hungrily around him.

Two great cricketing nations held their breaths.

Clarke delivered. The ball jumped spitefully from the biscuit-dry pitch, kissed the edge of the bat and flew into Michael Hussey's sure hands at slip.

The ground erupted. The Australian players ran to hug one another with joy. They had somehow conjured three wickets in five balls to snatch victory just when India seemed to have done enough to survive.

A famous day. Another triumph for the home side. A world record equalled. And yet there was something not right about this Test from the beginning.

It was dogged by controversy from day one and ended in sordid accusations of unsportsmanlike behaviour.

Indian captain Anil Kumble revived memories of Bill Woodfull's infamous Bodyline statement 75 years earlier when he said: “Only one team was playing in the spirit of the game”.

This is an astounding statement to make, and will surely have far-reaching consequences. It cannot go unanswered by Australia's cricket authorities, who will be obliged to defend the team's honour. The remainder of the series could well be in jeopardy

It came soon after a visiting Indian journalist had confronted Australian captain Ricky Ponting with an accusation that he had unfairly claimed a catch - drawing a sharp response from Ponting who prickled over having his integrity questioned.

Fuelling India's feelings of injustice was the performance of umpires Steve Bucknor and Mark Benson.

There were at least six glaring errors in this match, of which only one favoured India.

Even the penultimate wicket, Clarke's successful LBW shout against RP Singh, had an element of doubt about it.

And hanging over it all is the accusation made by the Australians that Harbhajan Singh had racially abused Andrew Symonds.

When tempers cool after a night's sleep, wise heads will hopefully begin working through a solution.

But as darkness fell over this lovely old ground, the game seemed the poorer for the New Year Test.

AAP
*Buckaroo*
*Buckaroo*

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Sun 06 Jan 2008, 11:12

In breaking news, umpiring of the Perth Test has been outsourced to Bangalore.

116 - 9 - 400 - 4

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Sun 06 Jan 2008, 11:12

JGK wrote:

It would be a disgrace if the ICC agreed to replacing Bucknor for the Perth test just because the Indians chucked a wobbly. Ideally, the ICC will pay Bucknor a stack of money to see out his contract.
I won't be surprised if it happens. Poor old Malcolm Speed is a lame duck boss. I'm amazed at insinuations that he is to blame for Bucknor's allegedly unfortunate umpiring record v India.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105884

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum: