Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

D-Day + 70 Years ...

5 posters

Go down

D-Day + 70 Years ... Empty D-Day + 70 Years ...

Post by PeterCS Fri 06 Jun 2014, 17:11

Blimey! Just calling in, and notice this hasn't come up at all here. The place must indeed be dyin'!

Today is the 70th Anniversary of D Day. I'd like to pay my humble respects and express gratitude to all those who gave their lives, and to those still living who served or helped in the largest amphibious landing in history.

And one of the few military acts very few around the world would dispute was 'a good thing'.

From all I've heard of and from those who were there, "heroism didn't enter into it".(Ah heroism, that grand example people (especially politicians) often seem to crave .... and always from others.)

If "heroism didn't enter into it", that is partly old-fashioned modesty. But such words also convey strong feelings that this is not what they relished doing, not what they wanted to do, but were trained to do: they simply did what they had to do, as best they could, in shocking conditions.

Not superhuman valour - they were scared, even terrified - but the best human courage. That sort of flesh-and-blood heroism, then. Not "pedestal heroism". Not ra-ra-ra, our glorious past, marble statue worship.

Many who experienced those bloody awful events have said the best way to commemorate D-Day is to do all we can to ensure it's never necessary again.

Which is exactly the same long-term message of many who survived the bloody awful morass of the trenches ... a century ago.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

D-Day + 70 Years ... Empty Re: D-Day + 70 Years ...

Post by Brass Monkey Sat 07 Jun 2014, 09:59

Damn straight. It's completely unimaginable to someone of my age. Such bravery and composure. Most likely our finest hour. Especially considering the last 20 years.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Mon 09 Jun 2014, 17:08

Not fundamentally disagreeing with that!

But actually Dan, one point I was trying to imply was that the circumstances (partly) mekketh the man. And woman. And human.

If anything cataclysmic like that should happen again - God forbid - of course you would get a lot running like hell not to be called up. (More than was the case in those days.) Conscription and national service are decades gone. And with the high (lifestyle) expectations of a different generation, you wouldn't easily get a genie back in an armed forces bottle. Etcetera.

However, the War generation were not born heroes, in any grandiose or otherworldly sense. They became heroes through necessity and some sense of having to do their best. Which they did, to a remarkable degree.

I mean no disservice to our parents' and grandparents' generation to say that they were human beings, acting extraordinarily.

And I'm not sure our present citizens wouldn't rise to a horrendous challenge and have their days enlivened - and lives blighted and terminated - in a similar way.

That's part of what I was trying to get at. I concede I may be in a very small minority in this view.

But I'm surprised - not in a po-faced, high-ground way, just literally surprised - nobody else here commented on D-Day. And I don't mean on this thread. I mean at all.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Mon 09 Jun 2014, 17:17

I was out buying oranges and bananas so I couldn't mention d day until now
embee
embee

Number of posts : 26198
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Mon 09 Jun 2014, 17:31

PeterCS wrote:Not fundamentally disagreeing with that!

But actually Dan, one point I was trying to imply was that the circumstances (partly) mekketh the man. And woman. And human.

If anything cataclysmic like that should happen again - God forbid - of course you would get a lot running like hell not to be called up. (More than was the case in those days.) Conscription and national service are decades gone. And with the high (lifestyle) expectations of a different generation, you wouldn't easily get a genie back in an armed forces bottle. Etcetera.

However, the War generation were not born heroes, in any grandiose or otherworldly sense. They became heroes through necessity and some sense of having to do their best. Which they did, to a remarkable degree.

I mean no disservice to our parents' and grandparents' generation to say that they were human beings, acting extraordinarily.

And I'm not sure our present citizens wouldn't rise to a horrendous challenge and have their days enlivened - and lives blighted and terminated - in a similar way.

That's part of what I was trying to get at. I concede I may be in a very small minority in this view.

But I'm surprised - not in a po-faced, high-ground way, just literally surprised - nobody else here commented on D-Day. And I don't mean on this thread. I mean at all.

You must have missed my (earlier) post on the CDL, then.

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38074
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Mon 09 Jun 2014, 19:02

Ah, apologies. I missed that.

A bad miss, you might think - where else to find a commemoration of the dead?

But ... as you know, I don't wander on to that thread much. And not only does it seem a bit too much like a mass grave, when I hope for something a bit better if the deceased is of any note. (It is not as if this Forum is awash with many dozens of new threads a day, that anything would slide off into Page 6 before seen.)

It's also I was wrongfooted by the "Celebrity ....". It often seems a serial marking of the popping of clogs by those in the media limelight, or who once were. Which is not quite the point or "spirit" of D-Day, I think.

Finally, I wanted also to celebrate the living, and the living legacy of the killed, such as (I hope) it is. Which doesn't fit on the CDL very well.

But anyway, I am sad I missed your (last) post. And FWIW, glad you made it.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Mon 09 Jun 2014, 19:38

lardbucket wrote:
PeterCS wrote:Not fundamentally disagreeing with that!

You must have missed my (earlier) post on the CDL, then.

Yep, I think a few of us were discussing the bravery of ordinary folk on there. Not necessarily D Day as such.
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Tue 10 Jun 2014, 04:40

PeterCS wrote:Ah, apologies. I missed that.

A bad miss, you might think - where else to find a commemoration of the dead?

But ... as you know, I don't wander on to that thread much. And not only does it seem a bit too much like a mass grave, when I hope for something a bit better if the deceased is of any note. (It is not as if this Forum is awash with many dozens of new threads a day, that anything would slide off into Page 6 before seen.)

It's also I was wrongfooted by the "Celebrity ....". It often seems a serial marking of the popping of clogs by those in the media limelight, or who once were. Which is not quite the point or "spirit" of D-Day, I think.

Finally, I wanted also to celebrate the living, and the living legacy of the killed, such as (I hope) it is. Which doesn't fit on the CDL very well.

But anyway, I am sad I missed your (last) post. And FWIW, glad you made it.

No need to apologise. I will continue to wander off topic in virtually every thread ...

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38074
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Tue 10 Jun 2014, 04:53