Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Australian squad to tour India - who should go?

+13
Big Dog
WideWally
OP Tipping
Blackadder
Bradman
horace
Fred Nerk
JGK
skully
Red
Nath
embee
lardbucket
17 posters

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Australian squad to tour India - who should go? - Page 4 Empty Re: Australian squad to tour India - who should go?

Post by embee Tue 17 Jan 2017, 09:28

tricycle wrote:I'd drop Starc and  bring in Holland, Beer or Agar, if not all three.

Sutho and Howie might have a job for you
embee
embee

Number of posts : 26217
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Australian squad to tour India - who should go? - Page 4 Empty Re: Australian squad to tour India - who should go?

Post by taipan Tue 17 Jan 2017, 09:30

Henry wrote:May have been mentioned elsewhere, but Monty Panesar has been employed by Cricket Australia as a spin bowling consultant before Australia's tour to India.

I find it slightly bizarre that a current English cricketer, who in my opinion could yet play more test cricket for England if he gets his head right, is being employed by Australian cricket to help them. Surely it should be against his instincts to help the old enemy like this whilst he's still playing professional cricket?

I find it even more bizarre that the ECB doesn't seem to be objecting in any way. Besides, I'm not sure what he'll be able to contribute apart from saying "just make sure you bowl in the right areas" over and over again.

I think he was recommended by Graeme Hick.
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Tue 17 Jan 2017, 09:32

embee wrote:Team I'd pick (from the squad)

GCS
Spanner
Koaja
SF
Wank
Bog
Sharapova
Koo
Tweet
Purple
Garry  

Rumoured team ( i hope this is wrong )

Koo and Puddle and 3 spinners

From the squad, your nominated XI should pick itself. If Puddle is in the T1 XI I'll farken have somewhat of the molten ire that I had when dickwit Hildick was head of the NSP.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105982
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Nath Tue 17 Jan 2017, 20:28

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/cricket/india-v-australia-test-series-pat-cummins-james-pattinson-still-in-frame-for-india-tour-20170117-gtszlw.html

planning to rush Cummins and/or Pattinson over there at some point...
Nath
Nath

Number of posts : 11981
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Tue 17 Jan 2017, 20:30

And which batsman is on standby for the inevitable injury to Bog and atrocious form against spin of Ooze?
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Tue 17 Jan 2017, 21:10

skully wrote:And which batsman is on standby for the inevitable injury to Bog and atrocious form against spin of Ooze?

Hoss and MADMAN.
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Tue 17 Jan 2017, 21:21

You'll be fine now that Monty is coaching you!
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15936
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by tricycle Wed 18 Jan 2017, 02:34

embee wrote:
tricycle wrote:I'd drop Starc and  bring in Holland, Beer or Agar, if not all three.

Nice. Maddinson in, Smith out. The latter has bad tactics and isn't good for team morale.

tricycle

Number of posts : 13349
Registration date : 2011-12-17
Flag/Background : none

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Wed 18 Jan 2017, 02:37

Basil wrote:You'll be fine now that Monty is coaching you!

we might piss it in
embee
embee

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Wed 18 Jan 2017, 02:38

tricycle wrote:
embee wrote:

Nice. Maddinson in, Smith out. The latter has bad tactics and isn't good for team morale.

you are firming for that job
embee
embee

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Wed 18 Jan 2017, 03:14

So you are suggesting that the job description requires "inordinate ability to make bewildering & illogical selection decisions on a weekly basis"?
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Wed 18 Jan 2017, 04:22

suggesting based on observation
embee
embee

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Wed 18 Jan 2017, 04:55

your powers of observation are acute
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Wed 18 Jan 2017, 21:08

embee wrote:
Basil wrote:You'll be fine now that Monty is coaching you!

we might piss it in

Perhaps we should offer a coaching job to Watto - it's only fair.
Basil
Basil

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Wed 18 Jan 2017, 21:48

He's in form. Actually he's probably the most durable Australian all-rounder; the others seem susceptible to injury.

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38123

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Wed 18 Jan 2017, 22:22

oh please Lardy!!! The schoolgirl missed early Babel games because of a calf injury.

Bas, I'd be happy for Clotto to coach England but not the Pears.
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Wed 18 Jan 2017, 22:42

horrie, I was only comparing him with others in the same field

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38123

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Thu 19 Jan 2017, 00:46

agree most of the "all rounders" around have been injury prone. Maybe following years of Clotto soft tissue injuries, the young aspirant "allrounders" think being injury prone is part of the position description
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Thu 19 Jan 2017, 07:19

Henry wrote:May have been mentioned elsewhere, but Monty Panesar has been employed by Cricket Australia as a spin bowling consultant before Australia's tour to India.

I find it slightly bizarre that a current English cricketer, who in my opinion could yet play more test cricket for England if he gets his head right, is being employed by Australian cricket to help them. Surely it should be against his instincts to help the old enemy like this whilst he's still playing professional cricket?

I find it even more bizarre that the ECB doesn't seem to be objecting in any way. Besides, I'm not sure what he'll be able to contribute apart from saying "just make sure you bowl in the right areas" over and over again.

I don't see the problem. It's a one-off before the India tour and has zero implications for the Ashes. Quite how Monty is going to help Aussie batsmen is beyond me, though!
Basil
Basil

Back to top Go down

Post by Nath Thu 19 Jan 2017, 10:48

we've had spin consultants before, and it resulted in zero benefit
Nath
Nath

Number of posts : 11981
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Thu 19 Jan 2017, 19:18

Nath wrote:we've had spin consultants before, and it resulted in zero benefit

Quite, how does the phrase go about polishing a turd?
Basil
Basil

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Mon 23 Jan 2017, 00:08

I find this a least a little bit encouraging

"Khawaja's early departure for the training camp in Dubai comes as Australia seek a way to turn around his form in Asia: in four Tests in Asia (all in Sri Lanka) he has 115 runs at 19.16, while across all nine first-class games he has played in Asia he has 389 runs at 32.41. Matt Renshaw, Nathan Lyon, Steve O'Keefe, Ashton Agar, Mitchell Swepson and Jackson Bird will join Khawaja in the early departure."

-----------------------------------------------

I hope it works.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Mon 23 Jan 2017, 00:32

I could have sworn Khawaja played a couple of tests on Australia's 2013 tour to India?
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Nerk Mon 23 Jan 2017, 00:46

He was on the tour definitely because he was one of the notorious 'Homework Four', but as I remember didn't play a Test - a fact that was noted on his rap sheet with a lot of commentary along lines of 'you'd think he'd be hammering the door down....'

Fred Nerk

Number of posts : 8821
Registration date : 2007-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Mon 23 Jan 2017, 00:57

I think he is basically lazy. It shows in his footwork, his fielding and his general demeanour. Or am I being too harsh - is it really laconicness?
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next