Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Merry Christmas 2019 thread

+9
lardbucket
horace
JGK
PeterCS
Big Dog
skully
Nath
Bradman
taipan
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Merry Christmas 2019 thread  - Page 2 Empty Re: Merry Christmas 2019 thread

Post by Growler Wed 25 Dec 2019, 17:47

Bradman wrote:I explain it to my son when I'm putting him through re-education after his mother and aunty have hauled him off to mass, thusly.  As an athiest I don't feel bad about celebrating a time of the year where everyone seems to be a bit nicer to everyone else.  I even like carrols.

Bradders, I know you post in jest, but the words re-education have always sent a chill through me.

From Stalin onwards, all the most disgusting, immoral and oppressive regimes have used it to silence people who fail to fall in line with the latest orthodox modern thinking. They don't even have to actively oppose it - only ask reasonable questions.

The UK doesn't yet practice it yet, but we're getting there - we silence critics by calling them deniers and no-platforming them. Two of the most high profile examples in recent years being Peter Tatchell and Germaine Greer. People at the forefront of Gay rights, Womens rights and Civil rights in general who fell foul of current fashionable thinking on the transgender issue.
Growler
Growler

Merry Christmas 2019 thread  - Page 2 MPDozzd

Number of posts : 2286
Registration date : 2007-10-13
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Wed 25 Dec 2019, 19:09

Actually I used the word deliberately to highlight the indoctrination he would have been put through if his mother had had her way (catholic school, confirmation, first communion wtf they call their process), a fight she and my mother lost long ago. Anyway he's eighteen and with a mind of his own ( apart from being qunt struck) and only goes to shut her up.

Never had much of an opinion on Greer, apart from pure hatred when one of her people ring up saying she's coming to town and will you organise some Aboriginal elders to greet her so she can ask permission to come onto country. Nice sentiment but why she thought a couple of people who've never heard of her should dance attendance on her, suggests an arrogance that isn't justified by getting lucky with a poorly written book fifty years ago.
Bradman
Bradman

Number of posts : 17402
Registration date : 2008-08-13
Flag/Background : war

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Wed 25 Dec 2019, 21:03

Theocracies have always been the worst, irrespective of the brand of religion/opium being purveyed.

Good on you Qmy for helping inure your lad against the pox addled world of religion, in your case the Catholic dogmas. He is well and truly old enough to make his mind up. Chasing the other half is clearly what his intent on.

Over my many years I have experienced re-education in many different forms. Notably many decades ago, an ex Mrs Horace once bounced a Doris Lessing book off my head. As I ruefully rubbed my bonce, she said, "Here, read this! Come back to me with something intelligible about women".
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Wed 25 Dec 2019, 22:55

horace wrote:Theocracies have always been the worst, irrespective of the brand of religion/opium being purveyed.

Good on you Qmy for helping inure your lad against the pox addled world of religion, in your case the Catholic dogmas. He is well and truly old enough to make his mind up. Chasing the other half is clearly what his intent on.

Over my many years I have experienced re-education in many different forms. Notably many decades ago, an ex Mrs Horace once bounced a Doris Lessing book off my head. As I ruefully rubbed my bonce, she said, "Here, read this! Come back to me with something intelligible about women".

Surely the quinella of peace in the middle east and a cure for cancer would be easier
embee
embee

Number of posts : 26217
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Wed 25 Dec 2019, 23:09

Hehehe! If he was quick on his feet he could have pointed out how reasonable they were and not prey to emotional responses manifesting in the physical.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Thu 26 Dec 2019, 02:26

embee wrote:
horace wrote:Theocracies have always been the worst, irrespective of the brand of religion/opium being purveyed.

Surely the quinella of peace in the middle east and a cure for cancer would be easier

Has anyone hears horrie saying anything intelligible on any subject?
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Thu 26 Dec 2019, 20:43

taipan wrote:
embee wrote:

Has anyone hears horrie saying anything intelligible on any subject?

Plenty actually.
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15936
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Thu 26 Dec 2019, 20:52

embee wrote:
Basil wrote:
horace wrote:
Basil wrote:Still Chrimbo Eve here. All the best to one and all.

returned back at you...may the Pears have a 2020 for the ages.

Have to dry the ground out first mate. Laughing

One of my umpiring friends keeps posting facebook pics of the ground under water

Merry Christmas 2019 thread  - Page 2 79861719_2603901569690219_1551329195039129600_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_ohc=rkfb-JltAAMAQmFOeGk8kzKvKzEJ-xEbETmDTHrssbWprot7yQYtaiziA&_nc_ht=scontent.fper6-1

There are too many leaves on the trees for that to have been taken recently. They can't stop the ground flooding, but the outfield was relaid on a sand base in 2007, so the theory is that it drains quicker.
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15936
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Thu 26 Dec 2019, 23:18

Basil wrote:
taipan wrote:
embee wrote:

Has anyone heard horrie saying anything intelligible on any subject?

Plenty actually.

fixed

I've had conversations with horrie and he was readily intelligible. Whilst Zimmy might kill me for this, I would contend that some of the things he said were intelligent, too.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
116 - 9 - 400 - 4

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38127
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Fri 27 Dec 2019, 00:01

lardbucket wrote:
Basil wrote:
taipan wrote:
embee wrote:

Has anyone heard horrie saying anything intelligible on any subject?

Plenty actually.

fixed

I've had conversations with horrie and he was readily intelligible.  Whilst Zimmy might kill me for this, I would contend that some of the things he said were intelligent, too.

**I can hear sirens form across Bass Strait**

The witches who have the franchise on the Oracle of Delphi, just returned an image of Lardy giving himself a cold hard look in the mirror.
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Registration date : 2007-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Fri 27 Dec 2019, 00:57

Zimmy just played up to a joke moniker.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Tue 31 Dec 2019, 07:49

Happy New Year to all our readers.

And more urgently, speedy comfort & relief to survivors - human and other animal - of the desperate fires down under. Horrendous.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Tue 31 Dec 2019, 08:41

Happy 2020 to all.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
116 - 9 - 400 - 4

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38127
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Tue 31 Dec 2019, 11:43

Yeah screw it. Bad things might happen next year but we go on. The glass is half full on bails. Best to you and yours everyone.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2