Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2009 Ashes series - anticipation thread

+17
horace
G.Wood
LeFromage
Basil
HH_pink
furriner
DJ_Smerk
Merlin
taipan
embee
doremi
eowyn
JKLever
Brass Monkey
tac
Lara Lara Laughs
lardbucket
21 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

2009 Ashes series - anticipation thread - Page 2 Empty Re: 2009 Ashes series - anticipation thread

Post by tac Thu 31 Jan 2008, 13:55

eowyn wrote:
tac wrote:Vaughan won't even be in the team, dickwad. suicide

Might be in as just a batsman if he survives this summer and winter.....

If he can't make runs in Snoozer land . . . and depending on the pitches it might be hard . . . I reckon he'll pull the pin.
tac
tac

Number of posts : 19270
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : pon

Back to top Go down

2009 Ashes series - anticipation thread - Page 2 Empty Re: 2009 Ashes series - anticipation thread

Post by doremi Thu 31 Jan 2008, 13:59

Lara Lara Laughs wrote:
Batfink Begins wrote:Poor naive Lara... thinks we can play spin.

If you seriously think a nearly 40 year old festering crap heap like Hogg will tear us apart if he plays in 2009, you're underrating us.

He won't tear anyone apart, but he bowled a lot better in the first 2 tests in the last series than his stats suggested. Just that Tendulkar took it as a personal insult or something when he came on to bowl.
doremi
doremi

Number of posts : 9743
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Thu 31 Jan 2008, 14:00

Lara Lara Laughs wrote:
Batfink Begins wrote:Poor naive Lara... thinks we can play spin.

If you seriously think a nearly 40 year old festering crap heap like Hogg will tear us apart if he plays in 2009, you're underrating us.

In 1989 Trevor Hohns ( in his mid 30's) took 11 wickets as back up for Alderman , Lawson and Hughes ...

In the post Warne era the most important thing to remember is that there is NO Warne ...

MacGill or Hogg could certainly play the 89 Cracka role behind Clark (89 Alderman) , Lee (89 Lawson) and Johnson (89 Hughes) ...
embee
embee

Number of posts : 26217
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by eowyn Thu 31 Jan 2008, 14:04

tac wrote:
eowyn wrote:

If he can't make runs in Snoozer land . . . and depending on the pitches it might be hard . . . I reckon he'll pull the pin.

We'll see he might step down from the captaincy first and then feel free to just bat again.
eowyn
eowyn

Number of posts : 11132
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : yrk

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Thu 31 Jan 2008, 14:04

tac wrote:
eowyn wrote:

Thought 'Muppet of the thread' was going to go to Lara. You've got the mantle now skipper.

Vaughan in 2007 - 9 Tests, 761 runs @ 47.56, 2 tons, 3 half-tons. Bar the WIs, he got some damn tough runs as well.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Lara Lara Laughs Thu 31 Jan 2008, 14:07

Aye, I'm a muppet because I don't rate Hogg. applause
Lara Lara Laughs
Lara Lara Laughs

Number of posts : 8943
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Thu 31 Jan 2008, 14:09

Yeah, average 62 against the WI, 49 v the Indians and 36 against the Lankans . . . going the wrong way, and I don't think his knee is any near as good as he wants people to believe. He's a series by series proposition.
tac
tac

Back to top Go down

Post by eowyn Thu 31 Jan 2008, 14:12

Like I said depends how the summer and winter goes, if his knee holds out he'll be there and I think they finally sorted it properly with the last operation.
eowyn
eowyn

Number of posts : 11132
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : yrk

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Thu 31 Jan 2008, 14:12

Lara Lara Laughs wrote:Aye, I'm a muppet because I don't rate Hogg. applause

Hmm, no. Just because you're a big kid in general.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Thu 31 Jan 2008, 14:13

No ...You're a muppet because you see no other alternative to your own opinion ...and argue your position even in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary
embee
embee

Back to top Go down

Post by Lara Lara Laughs Thu 31 Jan 2008, 14:14

Vaughan's average vs Sri Lanka doesn't reflect how well he played. He was very unlucky at times too.
Lara Lara Laughs
Lara Lara Laughs

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Thu 31 Jan 2008, 14:14

tac wrote:Yeah, average 62 against the WI, 49 v the Indians and 36 against the Lankans . . . going the wrong way, and I don't think his knee is any near as good as he wants people to believe. He's a series by series proposition.

No, you're right. You couldn't see that he was going to average worse as the conditions, for him, got tougher.

Also, you're right. Although he hasn't had more than a pittance of trouble with his knee, he's almost certainly lying about it. He thinks people will target it.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Lara Lara Laughs Thu 31 Jan 2008, 14:15

embee wrote:

No ...You're a muppet because you see no other alternative to your own opinion ...and argue your position even in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary

What an absolute retard you are. Where's the overwhelming evidence that Hogg isn't crap? There isn't any. So STFU.
Lara Lara Laughs
Lara Lara Laughs

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Thu 31 Jan 2008, 14:15

Lara Lara Laughs wrote:Vaughan's average vs Sri Lanka doesn't reflect how well he played. He was very unlucky at times too.

Yes. He had quite a helping of misfortune both against India and SL.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Thu 31 Jan 2008, 14:19

Batfink Begins wrote:
tac wrote:Yeah, average 62 against the WI, 49 v the Indians and 36 against the Lankans . . . going the wrong way, and I don't think his knee is any near as good as he wants people to believe. He's a series by series proposition.

No, you're right. You couldn't see that he was going to average worse as the conditions, for him, got tougher.

Also, you're right. Although he hasn't had more than a pittance of trouble with his knee, he's almost certainly lying about it. He thinks people will target it.

Finky, you gotta learn not to get so defensive, mate. I'm not having a crack at Virgil . . . he has been a very good batsman, but things did get tough for him as the year went on. Bad knees and a couple of poorish series and he will chuck it. Believe what you like, but it will happen. Pride more than anything.

Of course, if he can fill his boots against the sheep-lovers he'll stay for next English summer.

Last edited by on Thu 31 Jan 2008, 14:20; edited 1 time in total
tac
tac

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Thu 31 Jan 2008, 14:20

Lara Lara Laughs wrote:Vaughan's average vs Sri Lanka doesn't reflect how well he played. He was very unlucky at times too.

true I am surprised at how high it was.
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Thu 31 Jan 2008, 14:23

Lara Lara Laughs wrote:
embee wrote:

What an absolute retard you are. Where's the overwhelming evidence that Hogg isn't crap? There isn't any. So STFU.

Two World Cups ...the fact he doesnt need to be Warne ...
embee
embee

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Thu 31 Jan 2008, 14:24

tac wrote:Finky, you gotta learn not to get so defensive, mate. I'm not having a crack at Virgil . . . he has been a very good batsman, but things did get tough for him as the year went on. Bad knees and a couple of poorish series and he will chuck it. Believe what you like, but it will happen. Pride more than anything.

Of course, if he can fill his boots against the sheep-lovers he'll stay for next English summer.

Not at all. He's obsessed with the Ashes '09. A couple of poor series will mean diddly.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Thu 31 Jan 2008, 14:25

taipan wrote:true I am surprised at how high it was.

Really? Well, I'd rather judge considering I watch most of his innings fully. I'm not some random rattle-waver who saw sweet FA.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Thu 31 Jan 2008, 14:27

Batfink Begins wrote:
tac wrote:Finky, you gotta learn not to get so defensive, mate. I'm not having a crack at Virgil . . . he has been a very good batsman, but things did get tough for him as the year went on. Bad knees and a couple of poorish series and he will chuck it. Believe what you like, but it will happen. Pride more than anything.

Not at all. He's obsessed with the Ashes '09. A couple of poor series will mean diddly.

He may well be, but that can cut both ways. Anyway, we ain't gonna agree on this, so I leave you to enjoy the twilight of his career.
tac
tac

Back to top Go down

Post by Lara Lara Laughs Thu 31 Jan 2008, 14:28

embee wrote:
Lara Lara Laughs wrote:
embee wrote:

Didn't say he did need to be Warne. He does need to be half decent to "do us over". And we're talking Test cricket. That's what the Ashes is.

Doremi made the point that he bowled ok in the first two Tests but was thwarted by Sachin in form. Well, we'll have Pietersen, who's probably just as devastating against spin, if not more.
Lara Lara Laughs
Lara Lara Laughs

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Thu 31 Jan 2008, 14:29

tac wrote:He may well be, but that can cut both ways. Anyway, we ain't gonna agree on this, so I leave you to enjoy the twilight of his career.

He's got a free ticket until then. Three of them have KP, Vaughan and Bell(for inexplicable reasons).
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by doremi Thu 31 Jan 2008, 14:35

KP is puzzling. He plays very well most of the time against spin and then gets out to and looks clueless against Powar and Chawla.
doremi
doremi

Number of posts : 9743
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Thu 31 Jan 2008, 14:40

Lara Lara Laughs wrote:
embee wrote:
Lara Lara Laughs wrote:
embee wrote:

Didn't say he did need to be Warne. He does need to be half decent to "do us over". And we're talking Test cricket. That's what the Ashes is.

Doremi made the point that he bowled ok in the first two Tests but was thwarted by Sachin in form. Well, we'll have Pietersen, who's probably just as devastating against spin, if not more.

So what you are saying is there is NO possibility that Hogg might be an effective bowler against the English batting line up because you dont think he can be....
embee
embee

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Thu 31 Jan 2008, 14:41

doremi wrote:KP is puzzling. He plays very well most of the time against spin and then gets out to and looks clueless against Powar and Chawla.

Agreed.... Dwayne Leverock... personally I think it's more against left arm spinners(so Hogg may be a good performer against him).

Against Chawla and Powar it was a little different, due to it being ODIs but he did look godawful.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next