Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shane Watson in the IPL ....

+16
PearlJ
Red
WideWally
lardbucket
JGK
Mick Sawyer
taipan
noelene
doremi
Henry
skully
tac
*Buckaroo*
furriner
Lara Lara Laughs
embee
20 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Does Watto doing OK prove that T20 is joke cricket?

Shane Watson in the IPL .... - Page 2 Vote_lcap14%Shane Watson in the IPL .... - Page 2 Vote_rcap 14% 
[ 4 ]
Shane Watson in the IPL .... - Page 2 Vote_lcap29%Shane Watson in the IPL .... - Page 2 Vote_rcap 29% 
[ 8 ]
Shane Watson in the IPL .... - Page 2 Vote_lcap18%Shane Watson in the IPL .... - Page 2 Vote_rcap 18% 
[ 5 ]
Shane Watson in the IPL .... - Page 2 Vote_lcap11%Shane Watson in the IPL .... - Page 2 Vote_rcap 11% 
[ 3 ]
Shane Watson in the IPL .... - Page 2 Vote_lcap28%Shane Watson in the IPL .... - Page 2 Vote_rcap 28% 
[ 8 ]

Total Votes : 28

Shane Watson in the IPL .... - Page 2 Empty Re: Shane Watson in the IPL ....

Post by WideWally Mon 12 May 2008, 13:54

Henry wrote:
JGK wrote:T20 - the game where Shane Watson, Ian Harvey and James Hopes excel.

Says it all really.

Even Watson cynics would admit that he has more talent than the other two you mentioned. If he wants to play test cricket for Australia, he needs to make a lot of first class runs, and aim for a place in the top six as a Kallis type of player who'll bowl maybe 10 overs a day. Unlikely....

Why is this unlikely? The Australian selectors have already shown that they are interested in him.
WideWally
WideWally

Number of posts : 9702
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Mon 12 May 2008, 14:21

FWIW, I have long said that Watto has the makings for a good test player but I have been burnt often with his constant injury problems.

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Mon 12 May 2008, 14:27

I think there are stronger candidates to bat in the top six, and his bowling aint much in the longer form of the game. Anyway, why are we bothering to debate him? He'll be injured again in about 2 months anyway.......
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Mon 12 May 2008, 14:29

We are debating him because he seems to have found his niche in T20 where he only has to bowl 4 overs and face a max of 50 balls in a match.

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by *Buckaroo* Mon 12 May 2008, 14:34

Henry wrote:I think there are stronger candidates to bat in the top six, and his bowling aint much in the longer form of the game. Anyway, why are we bothering to debate him? He'll be injured again in about 2 months anyway.......

that's the real problem with him.

In the last two matches he didn't look in the greatest shape. I could trace a slight grimace on his face when he was walking,
it seemed there was something amiss with his hamstring.

he gets away in T20 becaus it's very short. In the longer formats he will struggle due to persistent injuries.
*Buckaroo*
*Buckaroo*

Number of posts : 4771
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : wi

http://exc4cricket.forum-motion.com/index.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by WideWally Mon 12 May 2008, 14:42

Outside the test XI, I would think only Katich & David Hussey should be ahead of him in the pecking order for a middle order spot, although it appears Hodge is probably also above him at the moment.
WideWally
WideWally

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Mon 12 May 2008, 14:45

WideWally wrote:Outside the test XI, I would think only Katich & David Hussey should be ahead of him in the pecking order for a middle order spot, although it appears Hodge is probably also above him at the moment.

I'd say Marsh and Voges (Who for some reason they seem to rate highly) are ahead of him as well.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Mon 12 May 2008, 14:45

...and maybe Voges
embee
embee

Number of posts : 26217
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by WideWally Mon 12 May 2008, 14:52

Until last year, Marsh had been an underachiever. He had a career Pura Cup average of 31.13 at the start of 2007/08. He performed well during the season but needs to repeat that in 2008/09 to be rated above Watson.
WideWally
WideWally

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Mon 12 May 2008, 14:55

It all underlines our enviable depth of talent. It's disproportionate to our population etc.
Red
Red

Number of posts : 17071
Registration date : 2007-10-28
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Mon 12 May 2008, 14:58

Red wrote:It all underlines our enviable depth of talent. It's disproportionate to our population etc.

Australia's depths of talent now are nothing like what they were 10-12 years ago, when you had guys like Langer, Hayden, Bevan, Lehmann, Law, and Martyn who couldn't get into the Aussie side.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by PearlJ Mon 12 May 2008, 15:18

Henry wrote:
Red wrote:It all underlines our enviable depth of talent. It's disproportionate to our population etc.

Australia's depths of talent now are nothing like what they were 10-12 years ago, when you had guys like Langer, Hayden, Bevan, Lehmann, Law, and Martyn who couldn't get into the Aussie side.

Yes Trev.
PearlJ
PearlJ

Shane Watson in the IPL .... - Page 2 ZY4L4DZ

Number of posts : 3599
Registration date : 2007-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Mon 12 May 2008, 23:15

PearlJ wrote:
Henry wrote:

Yes Trev.

But Hayden was ordinary in his first carnation, so didn't always deserve selection, likewise Langer. Both of these guys improved dramatically in the second coming. Bevan was too inept against the short ball to command a regular place in tests. But atm we have the likes of Marsh, Pomers, Watson, Voges, Hodge, David Hussey, Hopes, Ronchi, Hilfenhaus, Katich, Tait, White, et al knocking at the door. Certainly many of these would find places at many of our inferior rivals.
Red
Red

Number of posts : 17071
Registration date : 2007-10-28
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Tue 13 May 2008, 01:05

Marsh, Pomers, Watson, Voges, Hodge, David Hussey, Hopes, Ronchi, Hilfenhaus, Katich, Tait, White, et al knocking at the door

I'd say out of that lot Marsh, Pomersbach, D.Hussey and Hilfenhaus have a chance to do well at test level.

Hodge is old and crap, Voges is nothing special, Watson gets injured too often to be considered, Hopes is a bits and pieces player who isn't good enough with bat or ball for test cricket, Ronchi is a front foot slogger with a poor technique, Katich struggles against high class fast bowling, Tait is a wild maverick who has no idea where the ball is going, and White is a slogger with a pretty poor defensive technique.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by PearlJ Tue 13 May 2008, 01:06

Henry wrote:
Marsh, Pomers, Watson, Voges, Hodge, David Hussey, Hopes, Ronchi, Hilfenhaus, Katich, Tait, White, et al knocking at the door

I'd say out of that lot Marsh, Pomersbach, D.Hussey and Hilfenhaus have a chance to do well at test level.

Hodge is old and crap, Voges is nothing special, Watson gets injured too often to be considered, Hopes is a bits and pieces player who isn't good enough with bat or ball for test cricket, Ronchi is a front foot slogger with a poor technique, Katich struggles against high class fast bowling, Tait is a wild maverick who has no idea where the ball is going, and White is a slogger with a pretty poor defensive technique.

Whitey is god.
PearlJ
PearlJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Tue 13 May 2008, 01:10

Maybe he shouldn't be playing cricket then?
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by PearlJ Tue 13 May 2008, 01:18

Henry wrote:Maybe he shouldn't be playing cricket then?

He decided to grace our great game. And we should be grateful to him.
PearlJ
PearlJ

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Tue 13 May 2008, 01:18

PearlJ wrote:
Henry wrote:

Yes Trev.

but we fielded players who were barely up to test standard in those days
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by Mick Sawyer Tue 13 May 2008, 02:14

taipan wrote:
Mick Sawyer wrote:I'm rapt for Watson.

:!:

taips, it's the old story. I saw quite a bit of him playing as a teenager, was mightily impressed then & continue to hold strong hopes that his career & FC level can leap forward.

This tournament is the first occasion in senior career where he has consistently demonstrated his capabilities.

I note comments from JGK & others about Watson, Hopes etc and they are right in that this is exhibition cricket. Watson has done nothing really apart from upping his asking price for the next IPL.

I'm just rapt that he has been able to play without an injury incident & to prove himself able to shine where others of superior reputation have not been able to put up.
Mick Sawyer
Mick Sawyer

Number of posts : 7267
Registration date : 2007-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Tue 13 May 2008, 02:26

Mick Sawyer wrote:
taipan wrote:
Mick Sawyer wrote:I'm rapt for Watson.

:!:

taips, it's the old story. I saw quite a bit of him playing as a teenager, was mightily impressed then & continue to hold strong hopes that his career & FC level can leap forward.

This tournament is the first occasion in senior career where he has consistently demonstrated his capabilities.

I note comments from JGK & others about Watson, Hopes etc and they are right in that this is exhibition cricket. Watson has done nothing really apart from upping his asking price for the next IPL.

I'm just rapt that he has been able to play without an injury incident & to prove himself able to shine where others of superior reputation have not been able to put up.

Fark, I find myself in agreement with Mick. Watto can be a solid performer for Aus if he gets his fitness right . . .
tac
tac

Number of posts : 19270
Flag/Background : pon

Back to top Go down

Post by Mick Sawyer Tue 13 May 2008, 02:39

Watto can be a solid performer for Aus if he gets his fitness right

yeah! No question that he has it. The question for him is whether has has what it takes to unlock his talents in the FC game.

It's also interesting to me that good technique has (largely) outshone blind hacking in the IPL. T20 is going going to about for a while yet. I'm going to enjoy watching it evolve and develop as we've witnessed with 50 over cricket.
Mick Sawyer
Mick Sawyer

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Tue 13 May 2008, 02:47

Mick Sawyer wrote:
Watto can be a solid performer for Aus if he gets his fitness right

yeah! No question that he has it. The question for him is whether has has what it takes to unlock his talents in the FC game.

It's also interesting to me that good technique has (largely) outshone blind hacking in the IPL. T20 is going going to about for a while yet. I'm going to enjoy watching it evolve and develop as we've witnessed with 50 over cricket.

You've enjoyed watching 50-over cricket evolve? scratch
tac
tac

Back to top Go down

Post by Ross Tue 13 May 2008, 03:49

PearlJ wrote:Whitey is god.

Sage. Are you sure you're not me?
Ross
Ross

Number of posts : 1033
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Mick Sawyer Tue 13 May 2008, 04:00

You've enjoyed watching 50-over cricket evolve

Yeah, I did, but thirty seven years later it bores me numb.

tac, any limited overs format is a contrivance (sp?). It is a manufactured moneyspinner that is the cricket equivalent of junk food & my body is screaming enough of 50 over supersizing, if you know what I mean.
Mick Sawyer
Mick Sawyer

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Tue 13 May 2008, 04:07

Mick Sawyer wrote:
You've enjoyed watching 50-over cricket evolve

Yeah, I did, but thirty seven years later it bores me numb.

tac, any limited overs format is a contrivance (sp?). It is a manufactured moneyspinner that is the cricket equivalent of junk food & my body is screaming enough of 50 over supersizing, if you know what I mean.

Mick, I know what you mean . . . I don't get excited by 50-over games, but even less so by T20 . . . which seems to me to have the same unrealistic appeal as Stickcricket . . .
tac
tac

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next