Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Yuvraj Singh- His time has come in Test cricket

+29
taipan
HH_pink
skully
Chandan
Batman
Henry Nolonga
philcric
holcs
horace
furriner
*Buckaroo*
Invader Zim
Lara Lara Laughs
Zat
Chivalry Augustus
tac
The One
PearlJ
trident
doremi
DJ_Smerk
Ash
Merlin
bliksem
Josh Carney
please don't yell
embee
SG
Henry
33 posters

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Yuvraj Singh- His time has come in Test cricket Empty Yuvraj Singh- His time has come in Test cricket

Post by Henry Thu 20 Sep 2007, 05:41

I've always thought Yuvraj was an outstanding talent, and some of his strokeplay is reminiscent of Garry Sobers. Obviously he hasnt achieved the same success as Sobers, but I really think it's time India considered dropping Laxman from the test team and playing Yuvraj. He gives India an X factor not just with his batting, but he's very good in the field as well.

His time has come.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Yuvraj Singh- His time has come in Test cricket Empty Re: Yuvraj Singh- His time has come in Test cricket

Post by SG Thu 20 Sep 2007, 06:06

I think India's opening positions in tests aren't really done thing.

I mean the Karthik and Jaffer might be sitting ducks against Aussies in Australia. Asif too, with his movement might kill them in the coming test series.

SG

Number of posts : 12806
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Yuvraj Singh- His time has come in Test cricket Empty Re: Yuvraj Singh- His time has come in Test cricket

Post by embee Thu 20 Sep 2007, 06:25

Geez Trev

Let me guess

Yuvraj just scored a couple of runs in a game

and now you've anointed him the 'new Sobers sometimes almost occasionally'

FFS
embee
embee

Number of posts : 26185
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Thu 20 Sep 2007, 06:26

So you think Yuvraj should be opening? I dont think he should. I think they should definetly include Sehwag in the Test squad for Australia. Possible lineup-

Jaffer
Sehwag
Dravid
Tendulkar
Ganguly
Yuvraj
Dhoni
Kumble
Zaheer
Sreesanth
RP Singh
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Thu 20 Sep 2007, 06:27

embee wrote:Geez Trev

Let me guess

Yuvraj just scored a couple of runs in a game

and now you've anointed him the 'new Sobers sometimes almost occasionally'

FFS

Actually i've rated him highly ever since he smashed the Aussie's around on his debut as an 18 year old. You cant deny the guys talent.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by please don't yell Thu 20 Sep 2007, 06:37

He's also loose outside offstump which is why the best bowlers like mcgrath have got the better of him in the longer form of the game.

But yes countries should start picking their test teams based on who slogs the best in 20/20, well i hope the teams that are playing us this summer do that anyway.

please don't yell

Number of posts : 1138

Back to top Go down

Post by SG Thu 20 Sep 2007, 06:42

So you think Yuvraj should be opening?
No I don't think he should. As please said he is too loose outside his off stump.

SG

Number of posts : 12806

Back to top Go down

Post by Josh Carney Thu 20 Sep 2007, 07:01

please don't yell wrote:He's also loose outside offstump which is why the best bowlers like mcgrath have got the better of him in the longer form of the game.

But yes countries should start picking their test teams based on who slogs the best in 20/20, well i hope the teams that are playing us this summer do that anyway.
Indeed his weakness in the longer version against good seam bowling has been documented a few times noticably in that ill baked opening experiment agaisnt OZ and in his county stint.

Trevor don't glorify somebody just because you saw them smash a few against your perennial favourite Aussies Wink

Josh Carney

Number of posts : 1751

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Thu 20 Sep 2007, 07:55

Who HASNT been troubled outside off stump by Mcgrath? A certain BC Lara was also tormented by Mcgrath in a similar fashion. Yuvraj is a matchwinner. He'll get out now and then looking a bit loose, but he'll also win India test matches.

Yuvraj is India's most gifted batsman after Tendulkar. He should be playing all forms of cricket for them.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by bliksem Thu 20 Sep 2007, 08:23

What the hell was Stuey-poo bowling at him last night? You'd think that at least by the 6th ball of the over he'd realise that the steady stream of half-volleys and full-tosses wasn't really working for him and maybe he should try to pitch one a bit shorter. So what does he bowl? Another half-volley.

Dimwit.
bliksem
bliksem

Number of posts : 1005
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Thu 20 Sep 2007, 08:39

[quote="SG"]
As please said he is too loose outside his off stump.
Aye, that can be a bit messy.

Merlin

Number of posts : 14718
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : afg

Back to top Go down

Post by Ash Thu 20 Sep 2007, 12:22

Henry wrote:Who HASNT been troubled outside off stump by Mcgrath? A certain BC Lara was also tormented by Mcgrath in a similar fashion. Yuvraj is a matchwinner. He'll get out now and then looking a bit loose, but he'll also win India test matches.

Yuvraj is India's most gifted batsman after Tendulkar. He should be playing all forms of cricket for them.

damn right. laxman should make way but his record in aus might buy him another season.
Ash
Ash

Yuvraj Singh- His time has come in Test cricket MPDozzd

Number of posts : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ_Smerk Thu 20 Sep 2007, 15:34

I can only see Stuart Clark making a big impact on the Indian batsmen in Oz. Bung the Dung will get swatted once the batsman pick up on his fast paced yorkers and mild swing he gets. They will struggle against Clark's, McGrath-esque pace and accuracy. That is why they will struggle with Asif, with the ball moving both ways.

As for Yuvraj, I think he should get a run in the side, although maybe not for Laxman. But looking back at Laxman's 2 fifties against England in England I would be tempted to test both Yuvraj and VVS for the Pakistan series to prepare themselves for Big Grounds and Fast Pitches in OZ.
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Number of posts : 15938
Registration date : 2007-09-08
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Thu 20 Sep 2007, 16:35

So you think Ganguly should be dropped? Id agree, but he did actually do ok in the tests in England, and his dropping would cause mass riots in Calcutta. Having said that, if either Laxman or Ganguly have a poor series against Pakistan, then one of them should make way for Yuvraj.

Sehwag should go to Aus as well. He did brilliantly there last time.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ_Smerk Thu 20 Sep 2007, 16:37

Sehwag seems to do better on Faster Pitches.
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Number of posts : 15938
Registration date : 2007-09-08
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by doremi Thu 20 Sep 2007, 16:47

Laxman is still much better as a test batsman than Yuvraj for me.
doremi
doremi

Number of posts : 9743
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by trident Thu 20 Sep 2007, 23:20

its obvious ganguly is the man who has to go.they have to make the call pretty soon. But its doubtful vengsarkar will.

trident

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2007-09-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Josh Carney Thu 20 Sep 2007, 23:30

Based on test performances against non minnows over the last 2-3 years neither Sachin nor Yuvraj should be in the test team.

And the question of Yuvraj's fitness just won't go away as much as some would like to sweep it under the carpet.

Unfortunately What might actually happen is that Vengarkar's irrestible desire for "Kar Seva" will probably result in Tendul"Kar" being reappointed as Captain and Agar"kar" finding a slot in the team.

Josh Carney

Number of posts : 1751

Back to top Go down

Post by Ash Fri 21 Sep 2007, 00:23

ganguly was probably our best in SA and in ENG. srt/dravid cant/wont be dropped. laxmans the one im afraid - his batting is nowhere near what it was 4 years ago
Ash
Ash

Back to top Go down

Post by PearlJ Fri 21 Sep 2007, 00:56

Henry wrote:So you think Yuvraj should be opening? I dont think he should. I think they should definetly include Sehwag in the Test squad for Australia. Possible lineup-

Jaffer
Sehwag
Dravid
Tendulkar
Ganguly
Yuvraj
Dhoni
Kumble
Zaheer
Sreesanth
RP Singh

Karthik.
PearlJ
PearlJ

Yuvraj Singh- His time has come in Test cricket ZY4L4DZ

Number of posts : 3599

Back to top Go down

Post by trident Fri 21 Sep 2007, 11:03

Ash wrote:ganguly was probably our best in SA and in ENG. srt/dravid cant/wont be dropped. laxmans the one im afraid - his batting is nowhere near what it was 4 years ago

ganguly is nevertheless the weakest bat in tests...that's all matters...

others are have more skills to offer against better attacks especially aussies....there is little to be gained long term from ganguly playingf or two more years....he has nothing more to offer.

whereas a youngster can gaing two years of valuable experience in his place and that better serves the team long term.

trident

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2007-09-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Fri 21 Sep 2007, 14:08

India seem unprepared to risk losing the odd game in order to build for the future. They're now running the risk of having Dravid, Tendulkar, Ganguly, Laxman, and Kumble all retiring at the same time, which could be a devastating blow with no youngsters being given a chance to be groomed to replace them.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by Ash Fri 05 Oct 2007, 19:38

the captain/selectors should be shot if yuvraj isnt in the starting XI vs pakistan. no other batsman in the world combines touch and power to such devastating effect.
Ash
Ash

Back to top Go down

Post by The One Fri 05 Oct 2007, 22:57

his long clean swing, which does well for him on non-seaming tracks in odis, may well be his downfall in tests. still i guess its just wrong to waste such a talent without giving him a run of 10-15 matches in the test side

The One

Number of posts : 9035
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Sat 06 Oct 2007, 00:34

Ash wrote:the captain/selectors should be shot if yuvraj isnt in the starting XI vs pakistan. no other batsman in the world combines touch and power to such devastating effect.

Except maybe Pietersen, Hayden, Ponting et al.
tac
tac

Number of posts : 19270
Flag/Background : pon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next