Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How many Centuries will Pietersen end up with?

+22
Brass Monkey
The One
horace
PlanetPakistan
holcs
taipan
furriner
Lara Lara Laughs
Don't quote me
embee
Henry
doremi
skully
JKLever
Big_Bad_Bob
PearlJ
lardbucket
Basil
PeterCS
Red
Chivalry Augustus
DJ_Smerk
26 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

How many Centuries will Pietersen end up with? - Page 3 Empty Re: How many Centuries will Pietersen end up with?

Post by Lara Lara Laughs Thu 21 Aug 2008, 15:11

embee wrote:
Lara Lara Laughs wrote:Watch them again. They were appalling. Two of them were edges that were nowhere near the bat. The third was a ball that was going miles over the stumps. Koertzen was clearly on crack. And racist.

And the "he shouldn't have been playing that shot" argument is rubbish. Batsman sometimes play and miss. Even batsman with perfect technique/confidence. To say he deserved it because he played and missed is ridiculous. Especially as the bat was about four miles away from the ball.

i've watched them plenty of times ...they are all close on first look / real speed ...and obvious mistakes when seen in replay ...so they are not appalling ...just wrong

Eh? The two edges were clearly nowhere near the bat in real-time. Clearly.
Lara Lara Laughs
Lara Lara Laughs

Number of posts : 8943
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

How many Centuries will Pietersen end up with? - Page 3 Empty Re: How many Centuries will Pietersen end up with?

Post by PearlJ Thu 21 Aug 2008, 15:57

Red wrote:
Lara Lara Laughs wrote:Watch them again. They were appalling. Two of them were edges that were nowhere near the bat. The third was a ball that was going miles over the stumps. Koertzen was clearly on crack. And racist.

And the "he shouldn't have been playing that shot" argument is rubbish. Batsman sometimes play and miss. Even batsman with perfect technique/confidence. To say he deserved it because he played and missed is ridiculous. Especially as the bat was about four miles away from the ball.

But Strauss was also dropped (a sitter) in the only innings he got to fifty and received a favourable decision in another. And to be honest our attack wasn't sensational during that series despite the 5-0 drubbing and the pitches were generally flat. Strauss never did anything on that tour to suggest that he was either in great form or looked to be a class batsman. Cook with a faulty technique had more solidity about him. Even Collingwood made runs on occasions but Strauss always looked like he might get out, poor decisions or not.

What? That attack has to be one our best ever assembled in modern times.
PearlJ
PearlJ

How many Centuries will Pietersen end up with? - Page 3 ZY4L4DZ

Number of posts : 3599
Registration date : 2007-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Fri 22 Aug 2008, 00:07

PearlJ wrote:
Red wrote:

But Strauss was also dropped (a sitter) in the only innings he got to fifty and received a favourable decision in another. And to be honest our attack wasn't sensational during that series despite the 5-0 drubbing and the pitches were generally flat. Strauss never did anything on that tour to suggest that he was either in great form or looked to be a class batsman. Cook with a faulty technique had more solidity about him. Even Collingwood made runs on occasions but Strauss always looked like he might get out, poor decisions or not.

What? That attack has to be one our best ever assembled in modern times.

McGrath was not the same bowler who prospered for most of his career. He was absolutely impotent on the flat tracks. He was bowling from memory. Even Warne was a shadow of Warne at his best. Don't be swayed by the names, both these guys were well passed their peak. And they'd be the first to say that. I doubt KP would have found Warne as easy to hit as he did at times in Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth if it had been the Shane Warne from his peak days. Clark was steady but didn't move the ball, Lee bowled with pace but didn't bowl as well during that series as he did at times during last summer. The pitches were also very flat, especially during the first three tests. Melbourne offered some movement but there was nothing there to faze good batsmen.
Red
Red

Number of posts : 17071
Registration date : 2007-10-28
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by PearlJ Fri 22 Aug 2008, 00:12

The pitchs were flat and every bowler took over 20 wickets. Rolling Eyes

It was a top quality attack. McGrath and Warne were still in top class shape.
PearlJ
PearlJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Fri 22 Aug 2008, 01:04

PearlJ wrote:The pitchs were flat and every bowler took over 20 wickets. Rolling Eyes

A long way below their best. Just face it, Strauss had a poor series. I'd hate to see how he would have fared on fiery pitches and with our attack at the level it was in the early noughties.
Red
Red

Back to top Go down

Post by PearlJ Fri 22 Aug 2008, 01:07

Red wrote:
PearlJ wrote:The pitchs were flat and every bowler took over 20 wickets. Rolling Eyes

A long way below their best. Just face it, Strauss had a poor series. I'd hate to see how he would have fared on fiery pitches and with our attack at the level it was in the early noughties.

Pfft! They were below their very peak, but that really is not a diservice to them. They could still be bowling today and be the 2 best bowlers in the world.
PearlJ
PearlJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Fri 22 Aug 2008, 01:16

PearlJ wrote:
Red wrote:

Pfft! They were below their very peak, but that really is not a diservice to them. They could still be bowling today and be the 2 best bowlers in the world.

I disagree. And the spelling is disservice thank you very much.

Warne declined as a test bowler towards the end of his career. Maybe you're looking at T20/IPL form. Even then he copped a few hammerings. McGrath was also slowing up and becoming more predictable. Warne is pushing forty. Granted he'd be better than any spinner we can turn out. That's more of a reflection though of how bare our spinning cupboard is.

Both Glenn and Shane were not the bowlers they had been in days of yore during the last Ashes series. Strauss was exposed as very ordinary. And he was also very ordinary during this last series against the Saffas, despite them missing Steyn who would have revelled in the conditions during the last two tests. He failed and only salvaged some pride with a fifty in the last innings of a dead rubber. Even then he would have gone early had not Morkel slightly gone over the line.
Red
Red

Back to top Go down

Post by PlanetPakistan Fri 22 Aug 2008, 01:33

about 31
PlanetPakistan
PlanetPakistan

Number of posts : 10285
Registration date : 2008-02-06
Flag/Background : pak

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ_Smerk Fri 22 Aug 2008, 01:47

taipan wrote:
Lara Lara Laughs wrote:I'm a thunderc*nt.

Seconded

Thirded.
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Number of posts : 15938
Registration date : 2007-09-08
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by PearlJ Fri 22 Aug 2008, 02:00

Red wrote:
PearlJ wrote:
Red wrote:

I disagree. And the spelling is disservice thank you very much.

Warne declined as a test bowler towards the end of his career. Maybe you're looking at T20/IPL form. Even then he copped a few hammerings. McGrath was also slowing up and becoming more predictable. Warne is pushing forty. Granted he'd be better than any spinner we can turn out. That's more of a reflection though of how bare our spinning cupboard is.

Both Glenn and Shane were not the bowlers they had been in days of yore during the last Ashes series. Strauss was exposed as very ordinary. And he was also very ordinary during this last series against the Saffas, despite them missing Steyn who would have revelled in the conditions during the last two tests. He failed and only salvaged some pride with a fifty in the last innings of a dead rubber. Even then he would have gone early had not Morkel slightly gone over the line.

You won't get any argument from me that Strauss is ordinary. But McGrath and Warne were as good as they could be in that series. Both got hammered on the Adelaide highway, but that was a one-off. And with Clark in the form of his life and Lee coming into the form of his life, that attack was awesome.
PearlJ
PearlJ

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Fri 22 Aug 2008, 02:11

how many centuries? - insufficient to save the pearly white english etonian backside
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ_Smerk Fri 22 Aug 2008, 02:12

horace wrote:how many centuries? - insufficient to save the pearly white english etonian backside

See you in 2009! Wink
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Number of posts : 15938
Registration date : 2007-09-08
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Fri 22 Aug 2008, 02:57

Whatever number he ends up with, it will be more than Smith.
Red
Red

Back to top Go down

Post by PearlJ Fri 22 Aug 2008, 03:09

Red wrote:Whatever number he ends up with, it will be more than Smith.

Hmmm.... Smith is younger and already has more.... shrug
PearlJ
PearlJ

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Fri 22 Aug 2008, 03:19

sage from pj
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Fri 22 Aug 2008, 04:20

PearlJ wrote:
Red wrote:Whatever number he ends up with, it will be more than Smith.

Hmmm.... Smith is younger and already has more.... shrug

Only by eight months and he had a big headstart on KP who's mown him down rather well.
Red
Red

Back to top Go down

Post by Chivalry Augustus Mon 22 Dec 2008, 17:36

I thought I'd bump this as I was thinking about it last night. I always thought that Pietersen would find his scope a little more limited in time and that he would fail to score hundreds at the rate of '1 in 3' that he has so far sustained throughout his career. Hence my original prediction of 28 to 30 in this thread. However, after seeing that knock yesterday, from a man with a broken rib no less, I think my original prediction might have been reserved. The only thing stopping KP racking up 35 hundreds is himself now. He clearly has the genius, and much more than that you could very well argue he should have scored more hundreds by now (particularly at Edgbaston and Brisbane where he threw away hundreds with crap shots).

It's a very interesting one, really. I can understand what's said when a few folk contemplate the potential futures and find themselves at a loss about the scope of Pietersen's future achievements. He could, at this moment in time, go on to score 40 or so hundreds if he keeps going as he has been doing. But there's something about him that makes you stop and go 'no, not happening.'

Perhaps it's the English taint.
Chivalry Augustus
Chivalry Augustus

How many Centuries will Pietersen end up with? - Page 3 Svlx7uN

Number of posts : 4864
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by The One Mon 22 Dec 2008, 17:47

too early to say. i think the record for most for the english team is certain. beyond that it depends on how he keeps up his form, injuries, etc. i would put a range of 27-36 centuries

The One

Number of posts : 9035
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by PlanetPakistan Mon 22 Dec 2008, 17:59

this man is unreal.
PlanetPakistan
PlanetPakistan

Number of posts : 10285
Registration date : 2008-02-06
Flag/Background : pak

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Tue 23 Dec 2008, 12:32

Hmmmm, it's limitless really - 15 in 45 Tests, pretty immense, not many with him there. The thing with Pietersen is he thinks so much about his game, he will prosper in most places and rarely have a massive trough - the difference in his centuries is quite stark - i.e. the tempo, the scoring areas, the shots - I continue to be so incredibly impressed with him. It's not because he plays for my team, just that against all-comers he seems to have the ability to dominate.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Tue 23 Dec 2008, 12:34

We are so screwed in Ashes 09.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105943

Back to top Go down

Post by Ash Wed 24 Dec 2008, 00:58

he got 6 tons and only 1 half ton this year - thats an awesome conversion rate.

id guess around 32
Ash
Ash

How many Centuries will Pietersen end up with? - Page 3 MPDozzd

Number of posts : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by OP Tipping Wed 24 Dec 2008, 01:18

I don't know ... could be anything from mid twenties to mid thirties.
OP Tipping
OP Tipping

How many Centuries will Pietersen end up with? - Page 3 Svlx7uN

Number of posts : 4680
Registration date : 2008-01-10
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Wed 24 Dec 2008, 01:26

skully wrote:We are so screwed in Ashes 09.

aces
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15936
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Wed 24 Dec 2008, 02:57

I'll say 34.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next