Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Name some dud Captains of modern times?

+11
Basil
G.Wood
JKLever
doremi
JGK
Bradman
tac
Brass Monkey
Merlin
Fred Nerk
Para Batsman
15 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Name some dud Captains of modern times? - Page 2 Empty Re: Name some dud Captains of modern times?

Post by Para Batsman Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:52 am

JGK wrote:Captain Kirk?

You're well in front JGK. If it wasn't for SpockThe Klingons would have destroyed Lords.

Para Batsman

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2008-08-28
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Name some dud Captains of modern times? - Page 2 Empty Re: Name some dud Captains of modern times?

Post by Fred Nerk Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:59 am

Merlin wrote:Shocked WTF you on about Fred ?!!

'Loch Ness' - a bad film from the mid 90s with Ted Dansen and Ian Holm in it. The bit I quoted was the film's only half-funny line.

Last edited by Fred Nerk on Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:00 am; edited 1 time in total

Fred Nerk

Number of posts : 8821
Registration date : 2007-10-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Para Batsman Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:59 am

Fred Nerk wrote:Of course, I mean the scientist is played by Ted Dansen.

Not the monster.

I can't remember who played the monster but apparently Sarah Palin auditioned.
He has to be a Captain with a cap you dodos.

Para Batsman

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:08 am

Fred Nerk wrote:
Merlin wrote:Shocked WTF you on about Fred ?!!

'Loch Ness' - a bad film from the mid 90s with Ted Dansen and Ian Holm in it. The bit I quoted was the film's only half-funny line.

Ah .... aye, I looked it up on Wiki.
Dunno if it was ever showed here TBH ... hence the query.

CAPtain Hornblower.

........**cue tac ** ...........

Merlin

Number of posts : 14718
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : afg

Back to top Go down

Post by G.Wood Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:33 pm

Bradman wrote:Kim Hughes, Bill Lawry, Tony Grieg, Richie Richardson, Hansie Cronjie, anyone who captained England from '89 onwards (would name them, but a reunion would need to book Wembley instead of the local pub), Ranatunga (just 'coz he's a qunt), Steve Waugh ( for the atrocious last test, last day, last session bowling decisions in India 2001), Punter just coz he looks like Beaker and ain't a Captain's arsehole, and Hitler Woods (only because he sent me in to bat in a social match just as we cracked the third keg).

all those names and no mention of the fat fark
G.Wood
G.Wood

Number of posts : 12070
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : none

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:25 pm

The eejit who called me for a single then sent me back when it was my call.

Farqwit
Qunt
W@nker

Not that I'm bitter, oh no.
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15936
Registration date : 2007-09-02

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:28 pm

hmmn... i copped a lecture for running my captain out...we called him Grace after that
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:51 pm

I think I'm on the record as saying the fat fark was a hell of a captain. My only beef is he should never have been given the chance.

You know the system. Pick your best eleven and then name a captain from them. Worked for 117 years.
Bradman
Bradman

Number of posts : 17402
Registration date : 2008-08-13
Flag/Background : war

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:05 pm

??? - Tubby just played on for a bit too long....he is clearly the best captain we have had since chappelli
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:23 pm

He shouldn't have been picked as a batsman when he was first named captain is my point, and there's enough hearsay out there to suggest that the Board told the selectors they need only bother with positions 2-11.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:44 pm

nah I think he hung on too long in both forms of the game but merited his place when he was appointed...K snr did a lot of undermining at the time running the "there is no reason why we can't have two captains" line..that came back to bite him
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:51 pm

Captain Obvious
Captain Apollo
Captain Picard
Captain Janeway
Captain Cook
Captain Nemo
Captain Ahab
Captain Hook
Captain Caveman
Captain Kremin
Captain Kangaroo
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105981
Registration date : 2007-08-30
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Para Batsman Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:16 am

horace wrote:??? - Tubby just played on for a bit too long....he is clearly the best captain we have had since chappelli

Yes no doubt about that as I have previously said on here. Tubby's instincts were unbelievable and he didn't bowl anyone for overlong spells. His field changes also worked towards tying up a rampaging batsman. I often wonder if Healey was a help to him?

Para Batsman

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:21 am

I think Graham Yallop will always rate as the "duddest" captain I ever saw lead Australia. he commanded even less respect from his players than Kim Hughes.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by G.Wood Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:25 am

skully wrote:I think Graham Yallop will always rate as the "duddest" captain I ever saw lead Australia. he commanded even less respect from his players than Kim Hughes.

you just hate him because he had to be hidden from Big Bob Willis

and that he's a vomit

both valid enough btw
G.Wood
G.Wood

Number of posts : 12070
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : none

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:32 am

G.Wood wrote:you just hate him because he had to be hidden from Big Bob Willis

and that he's a vomit

both valid enough btw
Pretty much nailed it, RD. Possibly the most embarrassing moment EVER for a so-called Australia Test batsman - to be protected from the opposition's opening bowler. Amongst the blackest of memories from THAT final day of THAT Test.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:38 am

Of modern times Cronje was the most overrated captain imaginable. He was so negative, and always played for the draw first. I honestly don't know why so many South Africans continue to worship him as some sort of post apartheid cricketing God.

Kumble is obviously a dud. Shivnarine Chanderpaul was a pretty useless captain of the Windies 3-4 years ago. Despite some chest banging "Come on lads!" moments that inspired a test win in India, Flintoff can be said to have been a pretty poor captain.

I always thought that on the rare occasions that things went wrong for Australia under Steve Waugh, he had absolutely no clue as to what to do. He refused to go on the defensive when it was required, and appeared to have no plan B whatsoever other than to toss the ball to Mcgrath or Warne and hope that they could get a breakthrough.

The best captains of the last 10-15 years would have to be Taylor, Vaughan, Fleming, Hussain, and Smith. Mahela Jayawardene is overrated, as was Ganguly as far as on field tactics were concerned, although he definetly inspired his team to do some very good things.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:56 am

Snoozer Geoff Howarth always used to make me laugh. A fair captain but geez, what a surly barsteward.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:03 am

Actually thinking about it Cronje may have been the most gifted cricket tactician in history. I mean he could conjure up whatever result paid the most.

I'm not joking, try losing a game of "Rock, paper, scissors". It's just as hard as winning.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by Para Batsman Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:04 am

Any comments on Brearley?

Para Batsman

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:08 am

Para Batsman wrote:Any comments on Brearley?

Well he wasn't a dud.......
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by Para Batsman Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:15 am

Henry wrote:
Para Batsman wrote:Any comments on Brearley?

Well he wasn't a dud.......

That's what I hear.

Para Batsman

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:37 am

He was a mildly better captain than the fat fark and a lousier batsman.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:40 am

Tactically, Brearley was streets ahead of ranatunga. Ranatunga was a better captain off the field than on it.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:03 am

The fat fark in this case is Taylor. Ranatunga is the fat, whinging qunt.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next