Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"Latest Jock-Bok supplants native-born talent"

4 posters

Go down

"Latest Jock-Bok supplants native-born talent" Empty "Latest Jock-Bok supplants native-born talent"

Post by OP Tipping Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:04 am

When Kevin Pietersen first pulled on a shirt embroidered with the Three Lions back in 2004, the murmur of dissent was scarcely audible outside of his native South Africa. While his defection was seen as an act of treachery there, England gladly embraced him as their own, once he had served his four years qualifying period. KP might have his shortcomings as a captain but as long as he keeps scoring the runs, Blighty will happily overlook the accent.

My local branch of Curry's was all out of seismographs on Monday but it's fairly assured that Jan Stander's call-up to the Scotland squad didn't register on the Richter scale back in his native Port Elizabeth. Yet there was a rumble of discontent closer to home at his inclusion in the 15-strong party that will travel to Johannesburg next month to try to qualify for the 2011 World Cup. Nothing personal against a man who has performed admirably for Stoneywood-Dyce for the past two seasons. Just that, once again, a foreign recruit had supplanted the place of a native-born player.

The 27-year-old, who is not eligible for a British passport until 2011, joins captain Ryan Watson and Dewald Nel among the ranks of the Saltires' JockBoks. "It was definitely a surprise for me," he said. A doughty middle-order batsman who offers some medium pace on top, he looked likely to lose out to Gordon Drummond. However, with his performances for the Lions two years ago, and his application in winter training, Stander did enough to convince the selectors of his worth. "I did feel I had to prove a lot because I didn't play for the A side last year," he admitted. "It's a good thing there's pressure because I think one of my strengths is thriving under it. I definitely felt it sub-consciously because a lot of people have their opinions on foreign players turning out for other countries."

Pietersen could always point to the fact his mother was English. Stander has no such lineage but this summer, he will marry a Scot and is settled in the north-east. Having spent two years as a development officer for Cricket Scotland, he now works for Grampian Coaching, a council-backed initiative to support those who nurture the next generation.

There's a curious irony there. However, it is not Stander's fault that the rules are thus. "I came to Scotland as an amateur in 2003 and 2004. If it had been my aim to come here and represent the country, then I would have made sure I stayed for 186 days of the year. Because then I would have qualified two years ago. I stayed here because I liked the country. There was nothing to go back to in South Africa. I was given the opportunity in coaching here and I've been loyal."

There have been texts and e-mails all week from his native land, promises of massed support for the Saltires. At least, tickets shouldn't be hard to come by. And, he admitted, any inside knowledge will be gratefully received.

"The fact that I can speak the mother tongue might help us getting some information from local people there. It will be my first tournament and the key for me is to focus on my own game and performing if I get the opportunity."

http://www.cricketeurope4.net/DATABASE/ARTICLES2/articles/000051/005116.shtml
OP Tipping
OP Tipping

"Latest Jock-Bok supplants native-born talent" Svlx7uN

Number of posts : 4680
Registration date : 2008-01-10
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

"Latest Jock-Bok supplants native-born talent" Empty Re: "Latest Jock-Bok supplants native-born talent"

Post by horace Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:18 am

good luck to the scotbocks and the doughty middle order bat...

btw I enjoy the word "doughty"...generally applied to stolid openers or tough as teak all rounders - doubtless ken mackay was the original prototype..

I rarely hear the word 'doughty' being applied outside sport - cricket in particular...maybe there are other words that only survive because of their use in sporting vernacular
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

"Latest Jock-Bok supplants native-born talent" Empty Re: "Latest Jock-Bok supplants native-born talent"

Post by OP Tipping Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:30 am

Like Kallis.

No, wait ... he's "doughy".
OP Tipping
OP Tipping

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:41 am

hehehe...cue Dem

whereas Cosgrove, Nash and Key are doughnuts
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by OP Tipping Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:23 pm

BTW how good is Haddin???
OP Tipping
OP Tipping

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:42 pm

OP Tipping wrote:BTW how good is Haddin???

aah well OP...I'll fall into this...he is a very good bat against ordinairy attacks...but is the most unreliable keeper Australia has had since Wayne Phillips...worse I believe he cheats as much as any chucker by putting his hand in front of the stumps
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by OP Tipping Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:48 pm

"but is the most unreliable keeper Australia has had since Wayne Phillips..."

Fk me, that's a big rap for Zoehrer.

Wayne Phillips on the other hand probably wasn't even the best Wayne Phillips to play for Australia...
OP Tipping
OP Tipping

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:55 pm

Timmy Z was ace by comparison to WP..btw the sp of the two WPs always confused me

haddit is another stewart or dravid..in essence a good batsman who knows how to put on the gloves, but little else about keeping...worse he is a the keeping equivalent of a chucker
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:10 pm

horace wrote:good luck to the scotbocks and the doughty middle order bat...

btw I enjoy the word "doughty"...generally applied to stolid openers or tough as teak all rounders - doubtless ken mackay was the original prototype..

I rarely hear the word 'doughty' being applied outside sport - cricket in particular...maybe there are other words that only survive because of their use in sporting vernacular

You hear it in Ozzie Rules all the time ...especially when the Cows are playing
embee
embee

Number of posts : 26187
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:11 pm

Tim Zoehrer was a reliable wicket keeper with an unreliable head ...
embee
embee

Number of posts : 26187

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:19 pm

had plenty of supporters tho...and not all in the west...pretty talented cricketer
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by freddled gruntbuggly Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:26 pm

OP Tipping wrote:BTW how good is Haddin???
Good enough to be kept as an ODI opener until the next Hayden appears . . .

. . . as long as we get someone else to keep wicket. He's a crap* 'keeper and a bloody cheat.

*Far worse than merely 'crap', but the words I want to use keep being turned to asterisks.
freddled gruntbuggly
freddled gruntbuggly

"Latest Jock-Bok supplants native-born talent" 7EoDRAk

Number of posts : 2959
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down