Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Greatest sportsman of each test country

+25
Batman
taipan
Brass Monkey
freddled gruntbuggly
Basil
Steve
The One
kkf
doremi
Mick Sawyer
Chandan
horace
OP Tipping
SG
HH_pink
Zat
DJ_Smerk
embee
tac
spangler
WIFAN
LeFromage
beamer
JKLever
PlanetPakistan
29 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Greatest sportsman of each test country Empty Greatest sportsman of each test country

Post by PlanetPakistan Thu 12 Feb 2009, 22:02

Pakistan: Jahangir Khan(Squash)
Australia: Don Bradman(cricket)?

Rest:?????
PlanetPakistan
PlanetPakistan

Number of posts : 10285
Registration date : 2008-02-06
Flag/Background : pak

Back to top Go down

Greatest sportsman of each test country Empty Re: Greatest sportsman of each test country

Post by JKLever Thu 12 Feb 2009, 22:05

England: far too many to mention.
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Greatest sportsman of each test country Empty Re: Greatest sportsman of each test country

Post by beamer Thu 12 Feb 2009, 22:12

JKLever wrote:England: far too many to mention.
There's probably no other country that attempts to compete seriously (with a public and media that demands success) in so many sports. Perhaps that's why we're not the absolute best at any of them, unless you count snooker and darts! Picking one individual is difficult, hard to argue with Steve Redgrave's achievements I suppose even though it's something of a minority sport that he competed in.

For NZ I guess it would have to be a rugby player, not sure who is the highest regarded of their rugby legends in their own country.

West Indies only exists as a "country" for cricket purposes of course, but from the islands that make it up I guess other than cricket it's the sprinters that dominate, Usain Bolt must be close to that title already.

beamer

Number of posts : 15399
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by PlanetPakistan Thu 12 Feb 2009, 22:16

Kristie something(swimming) for ZIM?

...or Andy Flower?
PlanetPakistan
PlanetPakistan

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Thu 12 Feb 2009, 22:19

PlanetPakistan wrote:Kristie something(swimming) for ZIM?

...or Andy Flower?
Kirsty Coventry is the swimmer, she's won most if not all of Zimbabwe's Olympic medals in recent years!

Does Bangladesh have any major sports other than cricket? I suspect for Sri Lanka you can't look beyond Chuckali anyway...

beamer

Number of posts : 15399
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Thu 12 Feb 2009, 22:21

beamer wrote:
There's probably no other country that attempts to compete seriously (with a public and media that demands success) in so many sports. Perhaps that's why we're not the absolute best at any of them, unless you count snooker and darts! Picking one individual is difficult, hard to argue with Steve Redgrave's achievements I suppose even though it's something of a minority sport that he competed in.

For NZ I guess it would have to be a rugby player, not sure who is the highest regarded of their rugby legends in their own country.

West Indies only exists as a "country" for cricket purposes of course, but from the islands that make it up I guess other than cricket it's the sprinters that dominate, Usain Bolt must be close to that title already.

Agree, though I think we've done rather well given we do as you say have a wide range of sports. Probably best for us to break it down into individual sports.

For England only.

Olympian: Steve Redgrave
Football: Bobby Charlton, Bobby Moore
Cricket: Fark, this is difficult. of my lifetime? Ian Botham Otherwise, I guess Wally Hammond?
Rugby: Martin Johnson
Golf: Nick Faldo
Tennis: Fred Perry
Formula 1: Nigel Mansell for me.
Hockey: Sean Kerly
Boxing: Henry Cooper (for popularity rather than results i'd suggest)
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Thu 12 Feb 2009, 22:22

Daley Thompson. Owned the decathlon in the 80s.

Also indirectly responsible for breaking thousands of ZX Spectrum keyboards around the world with the release of the "button-basher" Daley Thompson's Decathlon.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Number of posts : 26195
Registration date : 2007-08-03
Flag/Background : fra

http://www.flamingbails.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Thu 12 Feb 2009, 22:24

Dello wrote:Daley Thompson. Owned the decathlon in the 80s.

Also indirectly responsible for breaking thousands of ZX Spectrum keyboards around the world with the release of the "button-basher" Daley Thompson's Decathlon.

ZXSpectrum...

Points at Dello and laughs.
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by WIFAN Thu 12 Feb 2009, 22:30

Beamer is right, it is mostly cricketers with sprinters and footballers mixed in.

Antigua - Curtly Ambrose, Andy Roberts.
Barbados - Malcolm Marshall, Obadele Thompson.
Guyana - Clive Lloyd, Rohan Kanhai, Shiv etc
Jamaica - Usain Bolt, Asafa Powell etc
Trinidad & Tobago - Brian Lara, Dwight Yorke, Ato Boldon.
St Lucia - Darren Sammy?
WIFAN
WIFAN

Greatest sportsman of each test country 7EoDRAk

Number of posts : 2857
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : wi

Back to top Go down

Post by PlanetPakistan Thu 12 Feb 2009, 22:33

beamer wrote:
PlanetPakistan wrote:Kristie something(swimming) for ZIM?

...or Andy Flower?
Kirsty Coventry is the swimmer, she's won most if not all of Zimbabwe's Olympic medals in recent years!

Does Bangladesh have any major sports other than cricket? I suspect for Sri Lanka you can't look beyond Chuckali anyway...
yeah she did really well....
PlanetPakistan
PlanetPakistan

Back to top Go down

Post by PlanetPakistan Thu 12 Feb 2009, 22:33

South Africa: ???
PlanetPakistan
PlanetPakistan

Back to top Go down

Post by spangler Thu 12 Feb 2009, 22:34

Who has claims on John Barnes?
spangler
spangler

Greatest sportsman of each test country 7EoDRAk

Number of posts : 2554
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by PlanetPakistan Thu 12 Feb 2009, 22:35

I wonder who is the greatest hockey player from Pakistan....

probably Hassan Sardar...
PlanetPakistan
PlanetPakistan

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Thu 12 Feb 2009, 22:41

JKLever wrote:
Dello wrote:Daley Thompson. Owned the decathlon in the 80s.

ZXSpectrum...

Points at Dello and laughs.

Speccy vs C64 was the Blur vs Oasis of the olden days.

I guess you were a C64-er. You have that "vibe" about you.

And that smell...
LeFromage
LeFromage

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Thu 12 Feb 2009, 22:43

JKLever wrote:
beamer wrote:

Agree, though I think we've done rather well given we do as you say have a wide range of sports. Probably best for us to break it down into individual sports.

For England only.

Olympian: Steve Redgrave
Football: Bobby Charlton, Bobby Moore
Cricket: Fark, this is difficult. of my lifetime? Ian Botham Otherwise, I guess Wally Hammond?
Rugby: Martin Johnson
Golf: Nick Faldo
Tennis: Fred Perry
Formula 1: Nigel Mansell for me.
Hockey: Sean Kerly
Boxing: Henry Cooper (for popularity rather than results i'd suggest)

Fark you poms need to get over yourselves . . . Australia could match or better that list (except football, of course, but we've a few other sports we're quite good at) . . . .
tac
tac

Number of posts : 19270
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : pon

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Thu 12 Feb 2009, 22:44

Dello wrote:

And that smell...

I've got one word to say to you.... SPRITES!

JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Thu 12 Feb 2009, 22:48

tac wrote:
Fark you poms need to get over yourselves

quite interesting that considering Aussie sporting supremacy is constantly shoved down everyones throats...
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Thu 12 Feb 2009, 22:49

JKLever wrote:
Dello wrote:

And that smell...

I've got one word to say to you.... SPRITES!

That's a cheap shot. Horace Goes Skiing was one of the very first titles. Of course it looked like it was programmed by a gibbon on a Casio calculator watch.

Later games - Double Dragon, for instance - were so graphically rich that it was like watching real life.

Real life.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Thu 12 Feb 2009, 22:50

JKLever wrote:
tac wrote:

quite interesting that considering Aussie sporting supremacy is constantly shoved down everyones throats...

bullshit, Lever . . . you poms just use the whole "Australians play sport, but we've got kulture" line as a salve to your battered national ego . . .
tac
tac

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Thu 12 Feb 2009, 22:51

Now compared to...

So that's Sprites sorted. Don't make me trawl Yootoob for some Rob Hubbard magic...
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Thu 12 Feb 2009, 22:52

tac wrote:
JKLever wrote:
tac wrote:

bullshit, Lever . . . you poms just use the whole "Australians play sport, but we've got kulture" line as a salve to your battered national ego . . .

Uh-huh. You're good at Cricket,Tennis & Swimming. Well done.
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Thu 12 Feb 2009, 23:09

As I said above, Lever, I'm sure Oz can pretty much match any list you want to draw up . . . not just in swimming, tennis and cricket . . .
tac
tac

Back to top Go down

Post by PlanetPakistan Thu 12 Feb 2009, 23:18

why don't they come up with a new name for Australia the continent or Australia the country?

i am sure it must be quite confusing
PlanetPakistan
PlanetPakistan

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Thu 12 Feb 2009, 23:20

tac wrote:As I said above, Lever, I'm sure Oz can pretty much match any list you want to draw up . . . not just in swimming, tennis and cricket . . .

You seem to have got the arse tac. For some strange reason you've equated my list of sportsmen from England in a wide range of sports that we haven't done badly at as a 'Australia are shit at sport' dig scratch

Whatever. Boxing - 4 heavyweight world champs in last 14 yrs, Formula 1 - 3 world champions since the mid 80's, Golf - Faldo - 6 majors
Rugby - in the last 2 world cup finals, knocked Aus out last 3 meetings. Athletics - numerous world & olympic champs since mid 80's. Superbikes - Carl Fogarty 4 times world champion.
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Thu 12 Feb 2009, 23:34

JKLever wrote:
tac wrote:As I said above, Lever, I'm sure Oz can pretty much match any list you want to draw up . . . not just in swimming, tennis and cricket . . .

You seem to have got the arse tac. For some strange reason you've equated my list of sportsmen from England in a wide range of sports that we haven't done badly at as a 'Australia are shit at sport' dig scratch

Whatever. Boxing - 4 heavyweight world champs in last 14 yrs, Formula 1 - 3 world champions since the mid 80's, Golf - Faldo - 6 majors
Rugby - in the last 2 world cup finals, knocked Aus out last 3 meetings. Athletics - numerous world & olympic champs since mid 80's. Superbikes - Carl Fogarty 4 times world champion.

Not at all, JK, just saying that Oz can match it with England over the "wide range" of sports you were bragging of . . . seems you've got the hump, but that's just because you're turning into a grumpy old man . . . .
tac
tac

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next