Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Monty and the million toys. Panesar fined.

3 posters

Go down

Monty and the million toys.  Panesar fined. Empty Monty and the million toys. Panesar fined.

Post by Zat Wed 11 Mar 2009, 00:36

CLICK HERE Link to article

England spinner Monty Panesar has been fined 25% of his match fee for excessive appealing during the fifth Test against West Indies in Trinidad.

The punishment was imposed by match referee Alan Hurst.

He said: "Monty Panesar is a very enthusiastic and exuberant bowler. There is nothing wrong with that, but on this occasion he has gone too far."

The audience reaction has been interesting. My favourite one from the BBC 606 message board:
Every time the ball hits the pad he goes up like a child whose just met Santa Claus and been given a million toys
But I can't help wondering if RobI posts there as kheruvim.

Last edited by Zat on Wed 11 Mar 2009, 00:37; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Fix the formating.)

Zat

Number of posts : 28872
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Monty and the million toys.  Panesar fined. Empty Re: Monty and the million toys. Panesar fined.

Post by DJ_Smerk Wed 11 Mar 2009, 01:42

A well deserved fine in my opinion; his over appealing was just sickening.
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Number of posts : 15938
Registration date : 2007-09-08
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Monty and the million toys.  Panesar fined. Empty Re: Monty and the million toys. Panesar fined.

Post by Zat Wed 11 Mar 2009, 02:03

Seriously, does he have any idea how the LBW law works? From what I've seen of him I feel the answer has to be no.

Zat

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ_Smerk Wed 11 Mar 2009, 02:06

I remember him saying he used to watch Shane Warne a lot and has gained this type of stuff from him. Whilst Warney and co did the odd OTT appeal, I think I'm right in saying that 8/10 times they were right because Warne was such a good bowler.

So much for Panesar being innocent. The England team have changed him.
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ_Smerk Wed 11 Mar 2009, 02:08

Either that or the hunger for wickets has become so desperate that he needs to do this to guarantee one per game. Not the way Monty.
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Wed 11 Mar 2009, 02:29

"excessive appealing" is a misnomer .

You can appeal after every ball even when it's obviously not out ....and as long as you pay due respect to the umpire and his decision ...it isn't excessive appealing.

Or you can "appeal" once in a game ....not look at the umpire and start celebrating immediately ...and that would be excessive appealing
embee
embee

Number of posts : 26215
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Wed 11 Mar 2009, 02:30

I quoted the BBC. Would've thought they'd get it right.

Zat

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Wed 11 Mar 2009, 02:31

"excessive appealing" is the wording in the ICC Code of Conduct
embee
embee

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Wed 11 Mar 2009, 02:33

So the ICC get anouther basic tenet of the game wrong. Does anyone there actually do any work?

Zat

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Wed 11 Mar 2009, 02:36

Probably written by a NESBy
embee
embee

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ_Smerk Wed 11 Mar 2009, 02:37

Excessive appealing is basically begging the Umpire to give the batsmen out. I don't think it would be fair to jump around after every possible wicket chance.
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down