Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Langer watch . . .

+22
Chandan
horace
doremi
JKLever
taipan
PeterCS
Bradman
freddled gruntbuggly
DJ_Smerk
spangler
eowyn
embee
lardbucket
skully
Henry
Mick Sawyer
Basil
JGK
Merlin
Zat
G.Wood
tac
26 posters

Page 8 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Go down

Langer watch . . . - Page 8 Empty Re: Langer watch . . .

Post by taipan Sat 19 Sep 2009, 13:19

JGK wrote:The NLWL has gone past Sobers and G Pollock on the FC runs list as well.

Could have sworn we had this discussion before.

Barry Richards anyone?
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Sat 19 Sep 2009, 13:25

Err... yeah. Barry, not Graeme.

All you Yarpies look the same to me.

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Sat 19 Sep 2009, 13:28

JGK wrote:Err... yeah. Barry, not Graeme.

All you Yarpies look the same to me.

Saffist
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Sat 19 Sep 2009, 13:28

Richards?
Bradman
Bradman

Number of posts : 17402
Registration date : 2008-08-13
Flag/Background : war

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Sat 19 Sep 2009, 13:37

taipan wrote:
JGK wrote:He's still a chance of passing both Sobers and Pollock as well this season.

GP?

Didn't realise he had that many

Previous page
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Sun 20 Sep 2009, 08:14

Who is this Langer person? Played for the Broncos, didn't he?
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105978
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by eowyn Sun 20 Sep 2009, 08:15

Isn't he a German that used to play golf?
eowyn
eowyn

Number of posts : 11132
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : yrk

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Sun 20 Sep 2009, 08:17

Ah, I knew the name was familiar.

Thanks Ange. Go choke a couple hamsters as a reward. Cool
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by eowyn Sun 20 Sep 2009, 08:20

Thanks... 🐰
eowyn
eowyn

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Sun 20 Sep 2009, 08:22

Any time. I know how cathartic such a pastime must be for you. Twisted Evil
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by eowyn Sun 20 Sep 2009, 08:23

I'll choke you if you're not careful!
eowyn
eowyn

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Sun 20 Sep 2009, 08:34

Promises, promises. Cool
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Mon 21 Sep 2009, 10:56

So NLWL pulls the plug to keep his 50 average...

Former Australia opener Justin Langer bows out of first class cricket

By Simon Wilde
September 21, 2009
Justin Langer, the cricket obsessive's cricket obsessive, sat in the players' dining room at Taunton in Somerset and contemplated the end of his first-class career with excitement and trepidation.
"After 18 years as a professional cricketer, it's quite scary," he mused.
"My wife is worried, but I know I can do something. I just need to work out what I'm passionate about."
Battling to avoid defeat by lowly Worcestershire was not a dignified way to leave the county championship, in which as captain he transformed Somerset, but it did confirm that now is the time to go.
"Since retiring from Tests (in 2007), I've found batting hard. I haven't been as focused and it's interesting that I've scored hundreds against Durham when Steve Harmison was playing and probably my best innings was against Andrew Flintoff at Lancashire. The hunger has been diminishing.
"It is the Somerset project that kept me going. Personally, it's been a tough summer. It's been tough for Somerset. My father has been in hospital for eight weeks and then there was the dossier thing. That really hurt. That cut me."
It seems that he will return to Perth unrepentant but not unhappy to be going. Langer's email - or "dossier" - to Tim Nielsen, the Australia coach, with his thoughts on England players, was gleefully dissected by the English media after it was leaked during the fourth Test.
Langer subsequently spoke to several England players, including Andrew Strauss, and not once was the email mentioned negatively, but he did regret referring to James Anderson as a "pussy" (meek-looking) when the opposition got on top.
In an attempt to smooth things over, he texted Anderson but received no reply.
While he talks, England's latest disaster in the one-day series unfolds on television. Is he surprised at how one-sided it has been?
"A year ago, the England one-day team (which beat South Africa 4-0) was a good-looking side. It shows what happens if you take out Flintoff and Kevin Pietersen. I don't know why but you chop and change a lot here, too.
"The Ashes is irrelevant to these one-dayers. The teams are different. I'm not disappointed Australia are winning, but I've got a lot of time for Andrew Strauss and Andy Flower and they will be hurting. They'd have thought the Ashes was a great stepping stone."
So after three seasons with Middlesex and four with Somerset, what would Langer's dossier on county cricket say?
"I've said the championship first division is as good a domestic competition as anywhere and I'd stick by that. But there is too much cricket. We are playing 11 days out of 12 at the moment. Try getting blokes up for that! I talk about the 'Zombie Syndrome'. It is survival. And I see it getting worse, not better.
"The wickets here are so flat. It's demotivating, turning up at Taunton knowing how hard it will be to get a result. I told our committee we won't win championships on these wickets. It is the same at a lot of counties. But I never thought I'd see a change in work ethic like I've seen at Somerset. It's become very professional."
Ironically, one way in which Langer believes counties have progressed is in the way they prepare. Dossiers form part of that.
"Our assistant coach gives us a thick dossier on every opposition side and Worcestershire will have one on us. If they haven't, they're crazy. This happens every day in county cricket nowadays, let alone international cricket.
"I reckon this is what Worcestershire would have said about me today: 'Try and swing it into him early because you might get him lbw. Put long-on back when the spinner comes on. Don't get chirpy because if he gets grumpy he's a lot harder to get out. He's been hit on the helmet a few times so maybe try bowling a few bouncers...' Everyone knows these things."
In fact, Langer was out for 46, stabbing a catch into a ring of off-side fielders.
"Basically, my email to Tim Nielsen was a warning not to get wound up," he said.
"We (Australia) are at our worst when we're getting wound up ... I was probably one of 20 to give my thoughts on England. Thinking of ways to attack the opposition is our business."
Langer, 38, may return to the English game, having received coaching offers from Somerset and Middlesex, among others.
"Middlesex would be a great project, but that's not my priority. For the sake of my family I need to put down roots. I'm craving some stability."

JGK

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Mon 21 Sep 2009, 11:03

Some sensible analysis in there from the little fella. Middlesex sounds likely in the next few years, from his point of view at least, so it will just be down to whether they still want him.

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38121
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Mon 21 Sep 2009, 11:04

Alternatively, there are about 4 Oz selector spots up for grabs ...

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38121
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Mon 21 Sep 2009, 11:04

Didn't Bernard owe his Master's win to his caddie who said "take the eight iron, you don't need the seven there's enough adrenalin in your body at the moment to over shoot the green".
Bradman
Bradman

Number of posts : 17402
Registration date : 2008-08-13
Flag/Background : war

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Mon 21 Sep 2009, 11:10

lardbucket wrote:Alternatively, there are about 4 Oz selector spots up for grabs ...

Aye - would be good to see his dossier on some of the "pussies" in the Aust line up.

JGK

Back to top Go down

Post by spangler Mon 21 Sep 2009, 15:23

You wouldn't really want the mother of all sycophants as a selecter whould you. You'd constantly have 90 man squads and all of Australia's cricketers would have wet arseholes.
spangler
spangler

Langer watch . . . - Page 8 7EoDRAk

Number of posts : 2554
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Mon 21 Sep 2009, 20:36

JGK wrote:So NLWL pulls the plug to keep his 50 average...

Former Australia opener Justin Langer bows out of first class cricket

By Simon Wilde
September 21, 2009

Justin Langer, the cricket obsessive's cricket obsessive, sat in the players' dining room at Taunton in Somerset and contemplated the end of his first-class career with excitement and trepidation.
"After 18 years as a professional cricketer, it's quite scary," he mused.
"My wife is worried, but I know I can do something. I just need to work out what I'm passionate about."
Battling to avoid defeat by lowly Worcestershire was not a dignified way to leave the county championship, in which as captain he transformed Somerset, but it did confirm that now is the time to go.
"Since retiring from Tests (in 2007), I've found batting hard. I haven't been as focused and it's interesting that I've scored hundreds against Durham when Steve Harmison was playing and probably my best innings was against Andrew Flintoff at Lancashire. The hunger has been diminishing.
"It is the Somerset project that kept me going. Personally, it's been a tough summer. It's been tough for Somerset. My father has been in hospital for eight weeks and then there was the dossier thing. That really hurt. That cut me."
It seems that he will return to Perth unrepentant but not unhappy to be going. Langer's email - or "dossier" - to Tim Nielsen, the Australia coach, with his thoughts on England players, was gleefully dissected by the English media after it was leaked during the fourth Test.
Langer subsequently spoke to several England players, including Andrew Strauss, and not once was the email mentioned negatively, but he did regret referring to James Anderson as a "pussy" (meek-looking) when the opposition got on top.
In an attempt to smooth things over, he texted Anderson but received no reply.
While he talks, England's latest disaster in the one-day series unfolds on television. Is he surprised at how one-sided it has been?
"A year ago, the England one-day team (which beat South Africa 4-0) was a good-looking side. It shows what happens if you take out Flintoff and Kevin Pietersen. I don't know why but you chop and change a lot here, too.
"The Ashes is irrelevant to these one-dayers. The teams are different. I'm not disappointed Australia are winning, but I've got a lot of time for Andrew Strauss and Andy Flower and they will be hurting. They'd have thought the Ashes was a great stepping stone."
So after three seasons with Middlesex and four with Somerset, what would Langer's dossier on county cricket say?
"I've said the championship first division is as good a domestic competition as anywhere and I'd stick by that. But there is too much cricket. We are playing 11 days out of 12 at the moment. Try getting blokes up for that! I talk about the 'Zombie Syndrome'. It is survival. And I see it getting worse, not better.
"The wickets here are so flat. It's demotivating, turning up at Taunton knowing how hard it will be to get a result. I told our committee we won't win championships on these wickets. It is the same at a lot of counties. But I never thought I'd see a change in work ethic like I've seen at Somerset. It's become very professional."
Ironically, one way in which Langer believes counties have progressed is in the way they prepare. Dossiers form part of that.
"Our assistant coach gives us a thick dossier on every opposition side and Worcestershire will have one on us. If they haven't, they're crazy. This happens every day in county cricket nowadays, let alone international cricket.
"I reckon this is what Worcestershire would have said about me today: 'Try and swing it into him early because you might get him lbw. Put long-on back when the spinner comes on. Don't get chirpy because if he gets grumpy he's a lot harder to get out. He's been hit on the helmet a few times so maybe try bowling a few bouncers...' Everyone knows these things."
In fact, Langer was out for 46, stabbing a catch into a ring of off-side fielders.
"Basically, my email to Tim Nielsen was a warning not to get wound up," he said.
"We (Australia) are at our worst when we're getting wound up ... I was probably one of 20 to give my thoughts on England. Thinking of ways to attack the opposition is our business."
Langer, 38, may return to the English game, having received coaching offers from Somerset and Middlesex, among others.
"Middlesex would be a great project, but that's not my priority. For the sake of my family I need to put down roots. I'm craving some stability."

So WTF is the puke icon?
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Tue 22 Sep 2009, 10:49

Did he get a watch for long service?
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8