Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Younis Khan invites teams to tour Pakistan

+14
rey
horace
Batman
PlanetPakistan
doremi
filosofee
Merlin
The One
DJ_Smerk
beamer
JKLever
SG
taipan
Josh Carney
18 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Younis Khan invites teams to tour Pakistan Empty Younis Khan invites teams to tour Pakistan

Post by Josh Carney Tue 23 Jun 2009, 09:09

Well done to Pakistan. I hope that achievements such as the T 20 Win provide positive elements for the peoples to unite in a divided Country slipping more into turmoil by the day.

But I reckon that YK is asking for too much here. This is not a question of mixing sports and politics, rather a simple case of safety first.

link

Josh Carney

Number of posts : 1751
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Younis Khan invites teams to tour Pakistan Empty Re: Younis Khan invites teams to tour Pakistan

Post by taipan Tue 23 Jun 2009, 09:15

Why can't sport and politics be mixed?
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Younis Khan invites teams to tour Pakistan Empty Re: Younis Khan invites teams to tour Pakistan

Post by SG Tue 23 Jun 2009, 17:37

I can understand Younis's sincerity in inviting teams to tour Pak but the reality is that no team (save probably B'desh) would visit Pak for next few years atleast, notwithstanding Pak's superb Twenty20 win as frankly it has nothing to do with situation in Pak which is still as dire as it gets.

SG

Number of posts : 12806
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Tue 23 Jun 2009, 17:42

So, what does Paks T20 win change about the security advice each countries team would recieve?
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Tue 23 Jun 2009, 17:45

Exactly, in fact it's quite an irresponsible thing to say, he's actually trying to persuade touring sides to put their lives at risk by going there. The Lahore incident proves cricketers are going to be targets, which nobody quite believed before however bad the general security situation. The Sri Lankan team fortunately all escaped with their lives, the same might not be true of the next team to go there if they rush into it. The fact they won the T20 changes nothing, Pakistan need to concentrate on restoring their international cricket schedule by playing "home" series in neutral countries for the next few years. At least.

beamer

Number of posts : 15399
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ_Smerk Tue 23 Jun 2009, 17:48

It doesn't take away the fact that lives were lost when Pakistan lasted played Cricket there.

YK should have waited for Pakistan to accumulate a few more Test wins before making this claim. I mean, I assume he's talking about Test cricket rather than T20?
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Number of posts : 15938
Registration date : 2007-09-08
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Tue 23 Jun 2009, 17:56

Why would accumulating a few more test wins change things?

It's not Pakistan winning that'll do that but an improvement in the security situation.
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ_Smerk Tue 23 Jun 2009, 18:00

Pakistan need to start winning Tests to actually regain people's interest in the longer form of the game over there.

I recall the crowds in the last Test series against Sri Lanka being quite bare.

Neutral venues are their best bet.

Last edited by DJ_Smerk on Tue 23 Jun 2009, 18:08; edited 1 time in total
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Number of posts : 15938
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by The One Tue 23 Jun 2009, 18:07

the whole 'its not our fault' bit just doesnt cut it. the other teams are not obliged to risk their lives just because the pakistani players themselves are not responsible for whats happening in their country

with the huge civil war currently on in pakistan it will take a few years of real peace before teams come back again. in the meantime pakistan needs to make sure they have their 'home' series going ahead in another country

The One

Number of posts : 9035
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Tue 23 Jun 2009, 19:42

They should settle for playing their "home" games in Dubai until the troubles subside.

Convince Sheikh Mohammed to divert some of his oil cash into creating a couple of top notch stadia from the desert ... as he has with Nad Al Sheba and the other 2 world class racecourse venues in the country which attract Grade 1 horses from all over the world.

can't see Pak having a natural Home test series for some years yet unforch.

Merlin

Number of posts : 14718
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : afg

Back to top Go down

Post by filosofee Tue 23 Jun 2009, 20:29

Got to love the Indian forumers' comments re strife in Pakistan. Hey chaps, a little introspection may be needed perhaps:

IT is difficult to find words strong enough to condemn the disgraceful and disgusting attack on a perfectly lawful pub at Mangalore in Karnataka on Saturday when a mob of about 40 goons of the Sri Ram Sena beat up and brutalized some women and later gleefully justified this barbarity in the name of protecting “Hindu culture”, whatever that might mean.

Sadly, it has to be added that Karnataka’s newly elected BJP government, like the guy in the famous Mae West song, took its time even to take note of the horrendous crime that was no less than a terrorist assault.

Later, under pressure of mounting public outrage – which has understandably been stronger among women, with the National Council of Women immediately taking up the matter – it did begin to act. However, to boast about 17 arrests as proof of “strong action” makes little sense when 23 thugs were then strutting about. Among those allegedly absconding or otherwise beyond the reach of the police are the ringleaders of the unspeakable episode who brazenly applauded themselves.

The founder of the Sri Ram Sena – one of the proliferating private “armies” of the extremists – Pramod Muttalik thought nothing of declaring, as a self-appointed “custodian of Indian culture”, that no one should make “any hue and cry” about Mangalore because the “cause” of his boys was just.
filosofee
filosofee

Number of posts : 1712
Registration date : 2007-09-07

Back to top Go down

Post by filosofee Tue 23 Jun 2009, 20:31

Merlin wrote:They should settle for playing their "home" games in Dubai until the troubles subside.

Pakistan have no choice, as no team will tour. YK knows this, he's just dreaming.
filosofee
filosofee

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Tue 23 Jun 2009, 20:39

filosofee wrote:Got to love the Indian forumers' comments re strife in Pakistan. Hey chaps, a little introspection may be needed perhaps

They've yet to have an attack directed AT a visiting cricket team in their country though. That's the difference.
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Tue 23 Jun 2009, 20:41

filosofee wrote:
Merlin wrote:They should settle for playing their "home" games in Dubai until the troubles subside.

Pakistan have no choice, as no team will tour. YK knows this, he's just dreaming.
Hey Filo ... howsit?

Can't see touring teams turning down Dubai .... tightest security east of Suez and the best duty free shopping in the world!! Wink

Merlin

Number of posts : 14718
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : afg

Back to top Go down

Post by filosofee Tue 23 Jun 2009, 20:43

JKLever wrote:
filosofee wrote:Got to love the Indian forumers' comments re strife in Pakistan. Hey chaps, a little introspection may be needed perhaps

They've yet to have an attack directed AT a visiting cricket team in their country though. That's the difference.

True, but I'd keep the successful England female cricket team away from India - JOKE!
filosofee
filosofee

Back to top Go down

Post by filosofee Tue 23 Jun 2009, 20:44

Merlin wrote:
filosofee wrote:

Hey Filo ... howsit?

Can't see touring teams turning down Dubai .... tightest security east of Suez and the best duty free shopping in the world!! Wink

Sorry Merls, I meant in Pakistan. :-)

Will you join for 10th July cricket fans get together at RAAVIS on Drummond Street? (Behind Euston Square/ Euston)
filosofee
filosofee

Back to top Go down

Post by doremi Tue 23 Jun 2009, 21:00

Sri Ram Sene = virtually unknown group trying to make a 'splash', aided by the fascist bastard currently the CM of Karnataka. Just reminds why I absolutely hate the BJP/NDA.

Still don't get your point filo, what's that supposed to illustrate?
doremi
doremi

Number of posts : 9743
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by filosofee Tue 23 Jun 2009, 21:07

doremi wrote:Sri Ram Sene = virtually unknown group trying to make a 'splash', aided by the fascist bastard currently the CM of Karnataka. Just reminds why I absolutely hate the BJP/NDA.

Strife can begin anywhere.
filosofee
filosofee

Back to top Go down

Post by PlanetPakistan Wed 24 Jun 2009, 03:35

Josh Carney wrote:Well done to Pakistan. I hope that achievements such as the T 20 Win provide positive elements for the peoples to unite in a divided Country slipping more into turmoil by the day.

But I reckon that YK is asking for too much here. This is not a question of mixing sports and politics, rather a simple case of safety first.

link
the link takes me to the flaming bails forum.
PlanetPakistan
PlanetPakistan

Number of posts : 10285
Registration date : 2008-02-06
Flag/Background : pak

Back to top Go down

Post by Josh Carney Wed 24 Jun 2009, 04:12

Not sure what happened there:

Here is the article:

------------------------

Younis Khan used cricket's grandest stage to announce his retirement from Twenty20 internationals, and make an impassioned plea for teams to once again tour his country. The Pakistan captain, speaking after Sunday's emphatic eight-wicket World Twenty20 victory over Sri Lanka, hoped the result would go far to saving cricket in his homeland, which is struggling to attract the interest of younger generations with no international matches being played within its borders.

I am requesting to all of the countries: 'You must come to Pakistan'," Younis said. "Everybody knows law and order is not good but it is not our fault. Especially for youngsters, we need home series because everywhere there is no cricket in Pakistan. How can we motivate the youngsters, especially at school level and college level? I think this will be helping us build a new structure in Pakistan for our future.

"How can we promote cricket to our youngsters if there is no international game in Pakistan? How can I motivate my son and my neighbours' small children? That's why we need cricket in Pakistan. Law and order is not good, but this is not our fault. We are suffering at the moment from these kinds of things. I think sports should be away from politics."
Dedication to Bob Woolmer

Younis dedicated Pakistan's World Twenty20 triumph to his former coach Bob Woolmer, who died during the 2007 World Cup in the Caribbean.

"This final must go to Bob Woolmer," he said. "He was doing good things with us in 2005 and especially my cricket. I would be very proud if he was alive and sitting with me because he's a very nice guy and was a father figure for us. Why I am captain is because in 2005 - at that time I was not a regular player for Pakistan - he was the guy who all the time was chatting with the chairman and the selectors that Younis will be the next captain. So because of him I have become a captain. I dedicate this final to Bob Woolmer."

Josh Carney

Number of posts : 1751

Back to top Go down

Post by The One Wed 24 Jun 2009, 04:38

filosofee wrote:Got to love the Indian forumers' comments re strife in Pakistan. Hey chaps, a little introspection may be needed perhaps:

IT is difficult to find words strong enough to condemn the disgraceful and disgusting attack on a perfectly lawful pub at Mangalore in Karnataka on Saturday when a mob of about 40 goons of the Sri Ram Sena beat up and brutalized some women and later gleefully justified this barbarity in the name of protecting “Hindu culture”, whatever that might mean.

Sadly, it has to be added that Karnataka’s newly elected BJP government, like the guy in the famous Mae West song, took its time even to take note of the horrendous crime that was no less than a terrorist assault.

Later, under pressure of mounting public outrage – which has understandably been stronger among women, with the National Council of Women immediately taking up the matter – it did begin to act. However, to boast about 17 arrests as proof of “strong action” makes little sense when 23 thugs were then strutting about. Among those allegedly absconding or otherwise beyond the reach of the police are the ringleaders of the unspeakable episode who brazenly applauded themselves.

The founder of the Sri Ram Sena – one of the proliferating private “armies” of the extremists – Pramod Muttalik thought nothing of declaring, as a self-appointed “custodian of Indian culture”, that no one should make “any hue and cry” about Mangalore because the “cause” of his boys was just.

pertinent point. you forgot to mention that an old lady was not helped while crossing the street as well. obviously thats a grave danger to visiting cricket teams

The One

Number of posts : 9035
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Batman Wed 24 Jun 2009, 07:28

filosofee wrote:Got to love the Indian forumers' comments re strife in Pakistan. Hey chaps, a little introspection may be needed perhaps:

The likes of Ram Sene don't go around in 'private armies' as mis-reported, don't go around with guns, don't blow up people with bombs daily and don't flog women publicly and legally for not wearing burqa or visiting a pub. Once in a while a cheap moral brigade roadshow is done for political reasons, sure, but they do get arrested and face the music in courts at least. Don't compare this with Talibanized Pak. Because there is NO comparision. Holding demonstrations for media consumption is not as 'extremist' as killing people. No?

Clean your own backyard mess up first. Your terrorists attacked a visiting cricket team making your nation a sporting pariah. So criticism following that will be natural, all around the world and you cannot shut everyone up by trying to argue law and order situations of all of them.
Batman
Batman

Number of posts : 8881

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Wed 24 Jun 2009, 08:52

neither country is safe for international sporting events at the moment which is terrible...expect the 2010 Comm Games to be postponed
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Wed 24 Jun 2009, 08:55

horace wrote:neither country is safe for international sporting events at the moment which is terrible...expect the 2010 Comm Games to be postponed

I can't see how it can be postponed. It will either take place as scheduled or be cancelled.

It is a tad larger then the micky mouse IPL.
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by Batman Wed 24 Jun 2009, 09:36

doremi wrote:Sri Ram Sene = virtually unknown group trying to make a 'splash', aided by the fascist bastard currently the CM of Karnataka. Just reminds why I absolutely hate the BJP/NDA.

It would help if you got the facts right. There is no association between BJP/NDA and Ram Sene and that while the Sene has been around for a while now there has been no political tie up or dias sharing ever in any of the previous election history of the last decade as well. Too date neither have the two shared a public platform nor fought any election together. The BJP even in the past before forming Govt. in Karnataka had denounced Ram Sene publicly. They have not been on the same side of the fence for as long as the Sene has existed. This case was entirely an isolated one where the Sene turned moral police against the 'pub culture' with an aim at creating space in media and minds. BJP did take a belated stand on not allowing pub culture to grow only after it found resonance on most citizenary and public mood [Karnataka] over the issue. They merely toed that line without any choice, since the majority of the people welcomed the view.

Incidentally Congress CM in Rajasthan, Ashok Gehlot too shared the same view of not allowing 'pub culture' in Rajasthan. I wonder why Congress leader for women 'welfare' Renuka Choudhary not call for a 'pub bharo' andolan in Rajasthan? Why did the Congress create so much ruckus only in Karnataka for that matter? And what are the social merits in a public guardian and a minister exhorting women to take to pub drinking as a matter of protest, and encouraging drinking among teens for that matter, I wonder?

Just thought you should know.

Last edited by Batman on Wed 24 Jun 2009, 16:03; edited 1 time in total
Batman
Batman

Number of posts : 8881

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next