Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why do British people carpet their bathrooms?

+17
DJ_Smerk
S F Barnes
Brass Monkey
bliksem
JGK
lardbucket
Basil
doremi
Lara Lara Laughs
Shoeshine
Merlin
The One
iieee
mynah
furriner
Anniyan
JKLever
21 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Why do British people carpet their bathrooms? - Page 2 Empty Re: Why do British people carpet their bathrooms?

Post by Guest Wed 24 Oct 2007, 22:40

JKLever wrote:I have this weird thing about Pub toilets too. If i'm on hols around the country and fancy a pub lunch I generally check their toilets out first.

If they are piss stained and there for the public to see imagine what their kitchen is like!
How dare the rest of the world call us Brits RESERVED when we can freely discuss things like this!

Back to top Go down

Why do British people carpet their bathrooms? - Page 2 Empty Re: Why do British people carpet their bathrooms?

Post by Guest Wed 24 Oct 2007, 22:41

mynah wrote:
Demelza wrote:At least you get proper loo roll now and not tracing paper.
Tracing paper?! Odd what some people would want to preserve copies of...
Really laughing Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Wed 24 Oct 2007, 22:54

British people queue everywhere. At the bus stop, at the shop counter and at the bank. Be patient when you enter a shop or post office - you have to wait your turn. It takes as long as it takes.

What do other people do then? Fight each other to be first ?
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by Shoeshine Wed 24 Oct 2007, 22:57

Demelza wrote:I remember the days when one had to pay a penny to use the public loos!

And encapsulated the class system by the following sign:

"Men: Free. Gentlemen: 1p"

Shoeshine

Why do British people carpet their bathrooms? - Page 2 Svlx7uN

Number of posts : 4512
Registration date : 2007-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 24 Oct 2007, 22:59

Well, it was 2p in the phone box!

Back to top Go down

Post by Shoeshine Wed 24 Oct 2007, 23:10

JKLever wrote:
British people queue everywhere. At the bus stop, at the shop counter and at the bank. Be patient when you enter a shop or post office - you have to wait your turn. It takes as long as it takes.

Very often, yes.

If you want to truly amaze people with our delight in queueing, point out to them the invisible queue in the pub. To everyone else, it's a complete free-for-all. To us, it's very definitely a queue - and think how cross you get when a poor barman doesn't follow the rules, or if someone pushes in and gets served out of place.

Seriously. Point out the invisible queue in action to a foreigner, and they'll be staggered.

Shoeshine

Why do British people carpet their bathrooms? - Page 2 Svlx7uN

Number of posts : 4512
Registration date : 2007-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Wed 24 Oct 2007, 23:15

Britons are quite punctual. If you agree to meet friends at three o'clock, you can bet that they'll be there just after three. If you are invited to someone's house for dinner at half past seven, they will not expect you to be there on the dot. It is considered good manners to arrive ten to fifteen minutes "late". An invitation might state "7.30 for 8", in which case you should arrive no later than 7.50. However, if an invitation says "sharp", you must arrive in plenty of time. You should, of course, always be on time for work.

My electrician needs to be reading that site FFS!!
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Thu 25 Oct 2007, 00:42

JKLever wrote:

Queue everywhere? Clearly not been in the Odeon on a Saturday morning with a bunch of kids then. It's where we get our scrummaging skills from bounce
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15936
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by mynah Thu 25 Oct 2007, 05:06

Demelza wrote:Well, it was 2p in the phone box!
As someone inevitably did before you stepped in.
mynah
mynah

Why do British people carpet their bathrooms? - Page 2 APSeEpm

Number of posts : 3385
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Thu 25 Oct 2007, 05:50

The carpet's there so some lazy sod doesn't have to mop up the vinyl floor.

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38098
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Thu 25 Oct 2007, 09:57

I have to say, for the couple of London winters I lived through I wasn't complaining about the carpet in the bathroom.

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by bliksem Thu 25 Oct 2007, 10:06

We used to have carpet in our bathroom in the house I lived in as a student (in the UK). After a couple of months we noticed mushrooms growing in one of the corners. We fenced it off with some plastic farmyard toys we got at the toy shop and declared it a nature reserve.
bliksem
bliksem

Number of posts : 1005

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Thu 25 Oct 2007, 10:45

JGK wrote:I have to say, for the couple of London winters I lived through I wasn't complaining about the carpet in the bathroom.

That was a while back wasn't it?

I reckon most houses, apart from real low budget digs have central heating these days so no excuses for a bloody carpet!!
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 25 Oct 2007, 10:49

So, what are those little mats that people have around their toilets? I thought THEY were for p!ssing on.

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Thu 25 Oct 2007, 11:04

JKLever wrote:
JGK wrote:I have to say, for the couple of London winters I lived through I wasn't complaining about the carpet in the bathroom.

That was a while back wasn't it?

I reckon most houses, apart from real low budget digs have central heating these days so no excuses for a bloody carpet!!

I was there in 99-01. We didn't have a heater in the bathroom.

JGK

Number of posts : 41790

Back to top Go down

Post by mynah Thu 25 Oct 2007, 11:46

JKLever wrote:

Britons are quite punctual. If you agree to meet friends at three o'clock, you can bet that they'll be there just after three. If you are invited to someone's house for dinner at half past seven, they will not expect you to be there on the dot. It is considered good manners to arrive ten to fifteen minutes "late". An invitation might state "7.30 for 8", in which case you should arrive no later than 7.50. However, if an invitation says "sharp", you must arrive in plenty of time. You should, of course, always be on time for work.

My electrician needs to be reading that site FFS!!
In South Africa people are startled if they turn up the same year, if at all. Recently my computer guru inconvenienced me awfully by coming on the appointed day, but he did apologise nicely and explained that he'd had a cancellation. Embarassed
mynah
mynah

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Thu 25 Oct 2007, 12:05

Umm, I'm a bit British and my last 5 bathrooms have had wood, vinyl or ceramic tiles. So, WTF are you on about?

The French have carpet on't walls. Fact.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by mynah Thu 25 Oct 2007, 13:28

affraid At what angle do frogs pee?!
mynah
mynah

Back to top Go down

Post by S F Barnes Thu 25 Oct 2007, 13:32

I have carpet in my bathroom. It's gonna go and I'm fitting a hard floor in it's place.

It's not just weird, it's a bit grubby tbh.
S F Barnes
S F Barnes

Number of posts : 276

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Thu 25 Oct 2007, 15:52

Batfink Begins wrote:Umm, I'm a bit British and my last 5 bathrooms have had wood, vinyl or ceramic tiles. So, WTF are you on about?

almost any person from abroad i've spoken to has said they find it weird 'most' British bathrooms have carpet!

Not that I go to carpet conventions or nout!
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ_Smerk Thu 25 Oct 2007, 16:44

If it's carpeted does that mean there won't be any turn for the leggies on the 60th over on Day 5?
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Number of posts : 15938
Registration date : 2007-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Lara Lara Laughs Thu 25 Oct 2007, 19:33

I closed this thread a while ago. No more posts please. British people don't carpet their bathrooms.
Lara Lara Laughs
Lara Lara Laughs

Number of posts : 8943

Back to top Go down

Post by mynah Thu 25 Oct 2007, 20:33

Lara Lara Laughs wrote:I closed this thread a while ago. No more posts please. British people don't carpet their bathrooms.
Hey, everyone have their little secret things they're sensitive about, so feel free to let it all out.
bounce
mynah
mynah

Back to top Go down

Post by iieee Fri 26 Oct 2007, 09:32

My parents have carpet in their bathroom..... there, I've said it.

They also don't have a shower. I don't stay there very often. Thank god they're moving soon.
iieee
iieee

Number of posts : 217

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Fri 26 Oct 2007, 09:46

iieee wrote:My parents have carpet in their bathroom..... there, I've said it.

They also don't have a shower. I don't stay there very often. Thank god they're moving soon.

To get an inside bog at last?
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next