Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

So, your team in this decade?

+10
WIFAN
Hass
horace
doremi
Chivalry Augustus
taipan
Henry
tac
Shoeshine
JKLever
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

So, your team in this decade? Empty So, your team in this decade?

Post by JKLever Wed 30 Dec 2009, 21:28

Stronger in 2000 or stronger now?

For England - I reckon this has been a damn good decade personally - perhaps the best since 1970-1980. Starting after going bottom of the rankings in 1999, Nasser initially made us a harder side to beat and definitely as a team worth more than the sum of its parts. The 3-1 home win over the WI in 2001 was a real milestone, they still had some great players and for those of us who had witnessed the 1980's was particularly sweet.

Series wins in Pakistan & Sri Lanka particuarly stand out. Under Vaughan we had the 2004/5 win in SA and the following 'best series i've ever seen' 2005 Ashes win - our best series win against a world class side for perhaps 35 years. The drawn series in India was also worthy of note.

2006-2008 was a frustrating time. Never really getting caned* and losing series by the odd test when a little bit of luck (im thinking IND & SA at home) could have seen different results.

2009 - a strange year, didn't really think we would regain the Ashes and perform well so far in SA

* apart from 2006/7 which was the low point. That side had a lot more talent than being worthy of getting thrashed 5-0, when you think of some of the dross that we had sent down under in the 90's and hadn't come close to losing like that.
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

So, your team in this decade? Empty Re: So, your team in this decade?

Post by Shoeshine Wed 30 Dec 2009, 21:38

Agree with pretty much all of that. It's hard to believe how special that West Indies series win was given the history since, but it really was.

Shoeshine

So, your team in this decade? Svlx7uN

Number of posts : 4512
Registration date : 2007-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Wed 30 Dec 2009, 21:39

Lever, I think the decade has been good for you poms as well . . . . and if you can lose the Belf somehow and get a bowler in his place you have the makings of a good strong team.

Test cricket is better with a strong England . . . .
tac
tac

Number of posts : 19270
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : pon

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Wed 30 Dec 2009, 22:06

I will always remember that series in 2000 against the Windies fondly. It felt like English cricket was being re-born. Other England highlights this decade for me-

Our last gasp victory over Pakistan in the dark at Karachi, 2000.

Arguably a greater achievement 2 months later in early 2001 to beat Sri Lanka on their home patch.

The run of 7 straight series victories starting with Bangladesh in late 2003, going on to the feel good and entertaining tour of the Windies in early 2004, and the outstanding victory against South Africa on their home turf, and finishing spectacularly with the unforgettable 2005 ashes triumph.

Flintoff playing to his potential between 2003 and 2006.

Michael Vaughan's batting from 2002 until 2004. Breath-taking at times.

Kevin Pietersen.

Drawing the test series in India in 2006 with our Johnny Cash inspired 2nd XI.

Ashes 2009. Not as huge as 2005, but still a fine achievement from England, in a series full of entertaining cricket and memorable moments.

Swanny!!!!! A breath of fresh air not just for English cricket, but for world cricket.

Yesterday's crushing victory against South Africa. An almost perfect match for England, when everyone anticipated they would fall flat on their faces.

I'm sure there's other moments that i've forgotten......
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Wed 30 Dec 2009, 22:13

I suspect most posters will have their moments.

To me the best was winning series all around the world.

And then there was the 438 game.
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Wed 30 Dec 2009, 22:16

taipan wrote:I suspect most posters will have their moments.

So your South African highlight for this decade was a JAMODI? *Snigger*
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Wed 30 Dec 2009, 22:22

Henry wrote:
taipan wrote:I suspect most posters will have their moments.

So your South African highlight for this decade was a JAMODI? *Snigger*

What part of series did you fail to comprehend or are you still wanking about Dutch hosties or your date with tac?
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Chivalry Augustus Wed 30 Dec 2009, 22:41

Did England win a live Test in Australia this decade? Just interested, like. It's been quite good for England has this decade, though having only got into cricket off the back of Nasser's career-concluding ton at Lord's, I missed out on many of the highlights. I suppose I saw most of our best/most efficient side which is a positive. Lowlight would have to be the Trescothick fiasco - I think we could be a very good odi side if Tres was still around.
Chivalry Augustus
Chivalry Augustus

Number of posts : 4864
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Wed 30 Dec 2009, 22:45

Chivalry Augustus wrote:Did England win a live Test in Australia this decade? Just interested, like. It's been quite good for England has this decade, though having only got into cricket off the back of Nasser's career-concluding ton at Lord's, I missed out on many of the highlights. I suppose I saw most of our best/most efficient side which is a positive. Lowlight would have to be the Trescothick fiasco - I think we could be a very good odi side if Tres was still around.

No.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by doremi Wed 30 Dec 2009, 22:46

India - Recovering from the match fixing mire, under Ganguly in the early 00s, arguably the best decade for Indian cricket. Blessed with the strongest batting line-up to have ever played for India and some ATGs and LEGENDs. A watershed decade for Indian fast bowling as well, producing some really talented pacers, who may or may not play to full potential, but do have the ability to win matches, and even that much is important after the drought of so many years. I'm not even sure drought is the right word, we just didn't produce any good pacers except Amar Singh, Mohd Nissar in the 30s and then Kapil Dev and Srinath. 4 in 70 years, so anything is a bonus really. So this has been the decade of the dominance of our batsman and the emergence of talented pacers.

Ganguly was an absolute legend as a captain. Brought in players he wanted and believed in and then stuck to them, even if it backfired sometimes, made us into a team that knew it could beat anyone anywhere. His contribution to the position we are now in is immense, perhaps not measurable, certainly not by the results we had under him. Then came the dark ages in between, which I just ignore as a bad dream when ChappellG did his best to wreck the team. Dravid was average but got the WI and Eng series under his belt which was apt. And whatever people might say, I thought Kumble was a fabulous captain, just what we needed then. Sadly his form badly tailed off during the last few months, so people started to judge his captaincy more harshly. I thought he was excellent, except maybe for the last Pakistan test which we really should have won with time to spare (and perhaps would have if not for bad light conditions) and a few wonky selection choices. And then there was Dhoni. He really is good and probably will end up as the most successful Indian captain. And maybe desevedly so.

Highlight - 01 Aus, 03-04 Aus, 04 Pak, 07 Eng and the last 2 years except the SL tour.
doremi
doremi

Number of posts : 9743
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by Shoeshine Wed 30 Dec 2009, 22:47

Chivalry Augustus wrote:Did England win a live Test in Australia this decade? Just interested, like. It's been quite good for England has this decade, though having only got into cricket off the back of Nasser's career-concluding ton at Lord's, I missed out on many of the highlights. I suppose I saw most of our best/most efficient side which is a positive. Lowlight would have to be the Trescothick fiasco - I think we could be a very good odi side if Tres was still around.

How come you only got into cricket so recently?

Shoeshine

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Wed 30 Dec 2009, 22:51

doremi wrote:, made us into a team that knew it could beat anyone anywhere.

India is immense in SA
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Shoeshine Wed 30 Dec 2009, 22:52

taipan wrote:
doremi wrote:, made us into a team that knew it could beat anyone anywhere.

India is immense in SA

Still only England and Australia who've won there since re-admission isn't it?

Shoeshine

Back to top Go down

Post by doremi Wed 30 Dec 2009, 22:52

I never said series.
doremi
doremi

Back to top Go down

Post by Chivalry Augustus Wed 30 Dec 2009, 22:55

Shoeshine wrote:

If I knew I'd tell - how do you get into anything at any particular time? It just happens. I think the exact time I started watching cricket is when Nasser drove one through mid-off to bring up three figures. Cue lots of fist pumping. I seem to remember thinking 'who's that prick?'
Chivalry Augustus
Chivalry Augustus

Number of posts : 4864
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Wed 30 Dec 2009, 22:55

doremi wrote:I never said series.

Fair enough.

Never won a series in Aus either have you?
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by doremi Wed 30 Dec 2009, 22:57

That depends on whether moral victories count....
doremi
doremi

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Wed 30 Dec 2009, 22:58

doremi wrote:That depends on whether moral victories count....

True, or sooking
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Shoeshine Wed 30 Dec 2009, 22:59

Chivalry Augustus wrote:
Shoeshine wrote:

If I knew I'd tell - how do you get into anything at any particular time? It just happens. I think the exact time I started watching cricket is when Nasser drove one through mid-off to bring up three figures. Cue lots of fist pumping. I seem to remember thinking 'who's that prick?'

Fair enough - I was just curious. Always seems a bit odd to those like me who seem to have been born with a bat in our hands you see...

Shoeshine

Back to top Go down

Post by doremi Wed 30 Dec 2009, 23:01

taipan wrote:
doremi wrote:That depends on whether moral victories count....

True, or sooking

We should have been given the Sydney test in 04 anyways for letting Aus play with 12 men.
doremi
doremi

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Wed 30 Dec 2009, 23:01

I think India will only be recognised as a good team when they manage a series win in Australia..

Aust has been a useful team this decade and has managed the transition from losing a few all time greats...the last series win in SA against a team nearing its peak and the 5-0 drubbing of the pomgolilans are highlights..
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by Hass Wed 30 Dec 2009, 23:39

Chivalry Augustus wrote:Did England win a live Test in Australia this decade? Just interested, like.

England haven't won a Test Match in Australia with the Ashes still up for grabs since 1986/7.

Although they did win matches in 1994/5 and 1998/9 when they could have drawn the series.

Hass

So, your team in this decade? MPDozzd

Number of posts : 2401
Registration date : 2007-09-10
Flag/Background : nsw

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 30 Dec 2009, 23:43

Shoeshine wrote:
Chivalry Augustus wrote:
Shoeshine wrote:

Fair enough - I was just curious. Always seems a bit odd to those like me who seem to have been born with a bat in our hands you see...
I've always been "into" cricket as my Dad brought me up on it, has been taking me to Northants since I was 12.

However it still took me until I was 18 to truly appreciate it, up until that point I could watch a highlights package but never a full days test cricket. When South Africa toured in 2003 I found myself watching nearly every day of every test and it was then that I really "got it" as it were.

Back to top Go down

Post by Shoeshine Wed 30 Dec 2009, 23:46

vilkrang wrote:
Shoeshine wrote:
Chivalry Augustus wrote:
Shoeshine wrote:

I've always been "into" cricket as my Dad brought me up on it, has been taking me to Northants since I was 12.

However it still took me until I was 18 to truly appreciate it, up until that point I could watch a highlights package but never a full days test cricket. When South Africa toured in 2003 I found myself watching nearly every day of every test and it was then that I really "got it" as it were.

Did you not play at all then?

Shoeshine

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 31 Dec 2009, 00:02

Shoeshine wrote:
vilkrang wrote:
Shoeshine wrote:
Chivalry Augustus wrote:
Shoeshine wrote:

Did you not play at all then?
Played from about age 8 to 15 then stopped playing. Really wish I had kept it up, I was never particularly good, had the occasional decent innings but essentially I just swung the bat and got lucky from time to time.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next