Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

So, your team in this decade?

+10
WIFAN
Hass
horace
doremi
Chivalry Augustus
taipan
Henry
tac
Shoeshine
JKLever
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

So, your team in this decade? - Page 2 Empty Re: So, your team in this decade?

Post by WIFAN Thu 31 Dec 2009, 01:19

This decade has mostly been absolutely horrible with the odd moment of brilliance being nowhere near enough to soften the blow.

We have seen the retirement of warriors like Walsh, Ambrose and Lara and have instead been treated to the likes of Darren Powell, Franklyn Rose, Nixon McLean, Devon Smith, Lionel Baker, Omari Banks etc. Chanderpaul fights on and is the last remnant of a time when we had a respectable team.

The decade has been most significant for the rise of the WIPA and the stands they have taken against the WICB and their flagrant mismanagement. Whilst it has caused much embarrassment and consternation amongst West Indies fans, we can only hope it leads to a brighter future which is beginning to look possible with the emergence of Barath, Bravo Jr and Roach.

My moments of the decade for West Indies:

1) 2004 Champions Trophy win - dedicated to the victims of hurricane Ivan and a very special moment as Bradshaw and Browne (of all people) saw us home.

2) 2007 test win at Port Elizabeth. It was our first away win in God knows how long and was achieved through brilliant batting from Samuels and Shiv and hostile bowling from Taylor, Edwards and Bravo.

3) 2009 Wisden Trophy win courtesy of one of the best spells of bowling in Test history by Jerome Taylor.

4) 2006 ICCT runners up - Featuring amazing batting from Gayle, Taylor's hatrick and all round brilliance from Bravo but unfortunately we stuffed it up in the final.

5) Otherwise we Windies fans have been limited to innings of individual brilliance in the face of certain defeat. Lara in Sri Lanka, Sarwan's century against SA at Port of Spain, Shiv's batting from 2006 onwards, Samuels ODI century against India etc, Gayle's 317 and his 20/20I century.

May the next decade be a hell of a lot better than this one!!!!!!!!
WIFAN
WIFAN

So, your team in this decade? - Page 2 7EoDRAk

Number of posts : 2857
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : wi

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ_Smerk Thu 31 Dec 2009, 02:59

1) Croft's 4fer in the first innings at the SSC in Colombo in 2001
2) Simon Jones' 5fer at Port of Spain in 2004
3) Simon Jones' 6fer at Old Trafford in 2005
4) James Harris taking 12 for 118 against Gloucestershire at the age of 17 in 2007
5) The Cardiff Test in 2009

Similar to WIFAN, let's hope the next decade is open for something similar Wink
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Number of posts : 15938
Registration date : 2007-09-08
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Thu 31 Dec 2009, 04:42

DJ_Smerk wrote:1) Croft's 4fer in the first innings at the SSC in Colombo in 2001
2) Simon Jones' 5fer at Port of Spain in 2004
3) Simon Jones' 6fer at Old Trafford in 2005
4) James Harris taking 12 for 118 against Gloucestershire at the age of 17 in 2007
5) The Cardiff Test in 2009
Hehehe, well done, Smerkle.

When are Wales gonna put up their hand to stand alone as an international side. Cool
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105986
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by The One Thu 31 Dec 2009, 04:53

easily india's best cricketing decade. iconic victories, legendary performances, a batting line-up to die for, huge change in overseas record compared to the 90s (where we won a solitary test in lanka). also we end it as the number 1 team

The One

Number of posts : 9035
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Thu 31 Dec 2009, 04:55

India were ranked 7th at the start of the decade, no?
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Thu 31 Dec 2009, 05:06

Aus ruled the first 2/3rds of the decade except for hiccups in India in 00/01 and Ashes 05. A bit down hill since the retirement of the greats, TGM, tgm, Gilly, Dossie and NLWL.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105986
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Eric Air Emu Thu 31 Dec 2009, 12:56

As others have said England vs the Windies in 2000 at Lords was the turning point. England had lost the summer before at home to a poor NZ side and had a fairly mediocre tour to South Africa in the winter (only Hansie's machinations gave them a win in a dead rubber). They beat Zimbabwe unconvincingly in the series before (who had the better of the 2nd drawn test) and had lost the first test to the Windies at Edgbaston by an innings. They then conceeded a first innings lead of 150-ish in a low scoring game with Ambrose and Walsh rampant and the rest is history.

Pretty average decade all in all but considering it brought two Ashes wins when I was beginning to think I wouldn't live to see the urn regained I would have metaphorically bitten it's hand off.

The 5-0 Ashes, the ODI world cups, ODIs in general, the dalliance with Stanford and Giles Clarke conntinuing to have a pulse were the England lowlights.

Personally I had barely played a proper competitive game of cricket going into noughties and now I've notched up over 200 appearances and am captaining my side.

I certainly hope I've now got a deeper and more balanced appreciation of the game in 2010 ...although I wish I could find something else to do with my time.
Eric Air Emu
Eric Air Emu

Number of posts : 1954
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Shoeshine Thu 31 Dec 2009, 12:59

Eric Air Emu wrote:Personally I had barely played a proper competitive game of cricket going into noughties and now I've notched up over 200 appearances and am captaining my side.

Gets scary when you work out you've spent almost a year on the cricket field, doesn't it? I'm up to 331 for the 1st XI this decade. Shocked

Shoeshine

So, your team in this decade? - Page 2 Svlx7uN

Number of posts : 4512

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Thu 31 Dec 2009, 13:02

Eric Air Emu wrote:.although I wish I could find something else to do with my time.

I'm sure Rachel can find something for you to do.
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by Eric Air Emu Thu 31 Dec 2009, 13:07

Shoeshine wrote:
Eric Air Emu wrote:Personally I had barely played a proper competitive game of cricket going into noughties and now I've notched up over 200 appearances and am captaining my side.

Gets scary when you work out you've spent almost a year on the cricket field, doesn't it? I'm up to 331 for the 1st XI this decade. Shocked

Terrifying...

Good job my team doesn't keep track of it's stats that well- it may be nearer 250 for me. Every game though still seems new & exciting come the Spring, not so much by Sept mind you.
Eric Air Emu
Eric Air Emu

Number of posts : 1954
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Shoeshine Thu 31 Dec 2009, 13:12

Ha, that's true. By September I've had enough - then in cricketless October I wish I'd taken September more seriously!

Shoeshine

So, your team in this decade? - Page 2 Svlx7uN

Number of posts : 4512

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 01 Jan 2010, 01:26

Eric Air Emu wrote:As others have said England vs the Windies in 2000 at Lords was the turning point. England had lost the summer before at home to a poor NZ side and had a fairly mediocre tour to South Africa in the winter (only Hansie's machinations gave them a win in a dead rubber). They beat Zimbabwe unconvincingly in the series before (who had the better of the 2nd drawn test) and had lost the first test to the Windies at Edgbaston by an innings. They then conceeded a first innings lead of 150-ish in a low scoring game with Ambrose and Walsh rampant and the rest is history.

Aye Tom. I remember Caddy bulldozering WI's batting line, then the hush at Lord's with Cork and Gough at the wicket and thirty to get, and that silence erupting into cheers as Corky hooked it into the crowd.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2