Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fletcher chronicles part 3: I was right to pick Gilo

+10
Rachel
bliksem
JGK
Shoeshine
S F Barnes
horace
Henry
tac
Basil
JKLever
14 posters

Go down

Fletcher chronicles part 3: I was right to pick Gilo Empty Fletcher chronicles part 3: I was right to pick Gilo

Post by JKLever Thu 01 Nov 2007, 00:10

Rolling Eyes

http://sport.guardian.co.uk/cricket/story/0,,2202318,00.html

I particularly like this bit

"It simply had to be Giles," says Fletcher in his forthcoming autobiography Behind The Shades. "He was bowling much better than Panesar at the time. Crucially, Flintoff, the captain, wanted Giles to play in that Test [in Brisbane].

You mean the guy who hadn't had FC cricket for 10 months before he arrived in Oz was bowling better at that time? FFS!!
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Fletcher chronicles part 3: I was right to pick Gilo Empty Re: Fletcher chronicles part 3: I was right to pick Gilo

Post by Basil Thu 01 Nov 2007, 00:25

It's easy to call Fletcher a prat, and with the benefit of hindsight, he was past his sell-by date as of the first test at the Gabba. But PLEASE let us not forget what he achieved as England's coach
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15936
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Fletcher chronicles part 3: I was right to pick Gilo Empty Re: Fletcher chronicles part 3: I was right to pick Gilo

Post by JKLever Thu 01 Nov 2007, 00:27

Basil wrote:It's easy to call Fletcher a prat, and with the benefit of hindsight, he was past his sell-by date as of the first test at the Gabba. But PLEASE let us not forget what he achieved as England's coach

Absolutely Bas. Theres no doubt he became way too introverted and pick his favourites towards the end of his tenure though.
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Thu 01 Nov 2007, 00:36

He should have gone before the start of the 2006 season in England. Might have meant we only lost the Ashes 3 - 0!
Basil
Basil

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Thu 01 Nov 2007, 01:40

Basil wrote:He should have gone before the start of the 2006 season in England. Might have meant we only lost the Ashes 3 - 0!

Bas, if you guys hadn't crumbled at Adelaide, the last 3 tests would have been a different kettle of fish all together.
tac
tac

Number of posts : 19270
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : pon

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Thu 01 Nov 2007, 02:32

tac wrote:
Basil wrote:He should have gone before the start of the 2006 season in England. Might have meant we only lost the Ashes 3 - 0!

Bas, if you guys hadn't crumbled at Adelaide, the last 3 tests would have been a different kettle of fish all together.

I totally agree (my last post was slightly tongue in cheek). If we had come away from Adelaide no worse than 1 - 0 down or had even levelled the series, I think we would have had a chance of coming away with a drawn series - which was my prediction for some months previously.

Anyway, here's to 2009! Very Happy And, it's goodnight from me.
Basil
Basil

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Thu 01 Nov 2007, 04:34

Interesting that he says he wanted Matt Prior instead of Chris Read on the Ashes tour. I always thought Fletcher was a bit of a Prior sceptic.

On the issue of Giles v Panesar, Fletcher knew nothing about what made a good spin bowler, and he saw a spinner primarily as someone who could keep the runs down whilst the quicks did the damage at the other end. He says that Monty didnt have an arm ball. Err, yes he did. Anyway, an arm ball isnt nearly as potent a weapon as extra spin.

It's sad because I thought he was such a good coach up until that last Ashes tour.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Thu 01 Nov 2007, 04:37

he had an appalling team led it seems by a tippler
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by S F Barnes Thu 01 Nov 2007, 09:28

horace wrote:he had an appalling team led it seems by a tippler

A dysfunctional team, lead by a p*** artist and a coach who picked players he liked personally rather than those with good records or proven skill.

No doubt Fletch turned things around for England in the latter stages of Nasser's captaincy before things really took off when Vaughan became captain. I think it was a combination of good captains and a good coach, Fletch doesn't deserve all the credit for England's run of victories.
S F Barnes
S F Barnes

Number of posts : 276

Back to top Go down

Post by Shoeshine Thu 01 Nov 2007, 09:33

S F Barnes wrote: Fletch doesn't deserve all the credit for England's run of victories.

Maybe not, but by the same token he then doesn't deserve all the brickbats that he's had for the shambles of the last Ashes tour.

Shoeshine

Fletcher chronicles part 3: I was right to pick Gilo Svlx7uN

Number of posts : 4512

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Thu 01 Nov 2007, 09:46

tac wrote:

Aye - they might have gone into a 5th day.

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by bliksem Thu 01 Nov 2007, 10:03

He didn't pick Monty because he didn't have an arm ball????? He's a $%#%ing spinner you fat-faced fool!!! Surely your primary concern should be whether he can spin the ball or not????

Ashley Giles FFS..............
bliksem
bliksem

Number of posts : 1005
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Thu 01 Nov 2007, 10:11

bliksem wrote:He didn't pick Monty because he didn't have an arm ball????? He's a $%#%ing spinner you fat-faced fool!!! Surely your primary concern should be whether he can spin the ball or not????

Ashley Giles FFS..............

Yeah, but Gilo offered the full range of arm balls and straight ones, and he was great when he took the spin off it as well.
tac
tac

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel Thu 01 Nov 2007, 14:22

"It simply had to be Giles," says Fletcher in his forthcoming autobiography Behind The Shades. "He was bowling much better than Panesar at the time. Crucially, Flintoff, the captain, wanted Giles to play in that Test [in Brisbane].

So Fletcher picked Giles, but wait, no, it was Flintoff? I'm confused - who exactly is being scapegoated here?
Rachel
Rachel

Number of posts : 276
Flag/Background : wi

Back to top Go down

Post by Chivalry Augustus Thu 01 Nov 2007, 15:15

It's all a complex plan. Fletcher is, but isn't, bothered about being criticised. Fletcher did, but didn't, select the team. Fletcher wanted Giles, but wanted Panesar as well. It's his way of talking absolute shit to try and deflect the crticism which he frankly warranted. No-one moaned about Giles' selection after Brisbane, they moaned about it from an hour before when Agnew spilled the beans, and every minute thereafter to this point.

Fletcher's proven himself to be a right back-stabbing ****** with this autobiography.
Chivalry Augustus
Chivalry Augustus

Fletcher chronicles part 3: I was right to pick Gilo Svlx7uN

Number of posts : 4864

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Thu 01 Nov 2007, 15:21

.....And it hasnt even been released yet!
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891

Back to top Go down

Post by Eric Air Emu Thu 01 Nov 2007, 18:23

Quothing further:

"Something also happened that which I had not seen before when some senior players not on the management team approached me and pleaded that Giles be picked," he added. "Not one of the management group even hesitated in nominating Giles.

I recall that Geraint Jones was on that management group. What a horrible old incestuous caper it all was.

Reading between the lines Monty can't have been all that popular- probably didn't drink and shag enough.
Eric Air Emu
Eric Air Emu

Number of posts : 1954
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Thu 01 Nov 2007, 18:26

Eric Air Emu wrote:Quothing further:

"Something also happened that which I had not seen before when some senior players not on the management team approached me and pleaded that Giles be picked," he added. "Not one of the management group even hesitated in nominating Giles.

I recall that Geraint Jones was on that management group. What a horrible old incestuous caper it all was.

Reading between the lines Monty can't have been all that popular- probably didn't drink and shag enough.

Hmmmm.......there were a couple of occasions last winter when the body language between Fred and Monty didn't seem great.
Basil
Basil

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Thu 01 Nov 2007, 23:13

Basil wrote:
Eric Air Emu wrote:Quothing further:

Hmmmm.......there were a couple of occasions last winter when the body language between Fred and Monty didn't seem great.

When Monty got spanked by Gilly, Freddies response was very poor . . . he should have let the lad have another over.
tac
tac

Back to top Go down

Post by Invader Zim Thu 01 Nov 2007, 23:14

Perhaps he (Andy) doesn't like rag heads.
Invader Zim
Invader Zim

Number of posts : 6396
Flag/Background : none

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Thu 01 Nov 2007, 23:24

DCOM
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Nerk Thu 01 Nov 2007, 23:31

Mind you that was Blind Freddie captaincy all over - a tendency to panic. He even took his mate Harmison off at one stage after Harmi had at last shown some form, after one unofficial warning from the ump about running on the pitch.

Fred Nerk

Number of posts : 8813
Registration date : 2007-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down