Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SoO Game 2

+14
eowyn
tac
Big Dog
Zat
Mick Sawyer
embee
Bradman
bodyline
Hass
JGK
Nath
JKLever
Merlin
skully
18 posters

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

SoO Game 2 - Page 4 Empty Re: SoO Game 2

Post by JGK Tue 15 Jun 2010, 05:54

Who's that?

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by bodyline Tue 15 Jun 2010, 05:57

Inglis specifically wanted to play for Qld coz he thought he'd have a greater chance of selection as a native from the caney selectors.

bodyline

SoO Game 2 - Page 4 MPDozzd

Number of posts : 2335
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by bodyline Tue 15 Jun 2010, 06:02

horace wrote:
skully wrote:Still pretty soft of Tahu to flounce off if that's what was said. Sure, it's tacky and totally classless by Joey to have said it, but I reckon Tahu would've lost count of the number of times he's been called that on the footy park.

If he was fair dinkum, he would've just snotted Joey and said, "next time, I won't just rearrange your face, I'll break your neck."

Never looked like he was really interested in playing for the Blues and has used this as a get-out-of-gaol-free-and-avoid-the-embarrassment-of-another-Maroon-hiding card.

I disagree S...AFL cleaned its act up on the race issue ages ago..Michael Long and Nicky Winmar really took on the race issue in AFL - the game has prospered as a result - not least through more Indigenous players playing the game and thrilling fans..

people like Goodes, McLeod and O'loughlin are respected for their talents and contributions on and off the field and set terrific examples for indigenous (and non Indigenous) kids everywhere.

I hope Tahu takes this on...he should be supported

SYDNEY Swans co-captain Adam Goodes says AFL players need to continue their fight to stamp out racism from all levels of the game and sport in general.

But rather than condemn those responsible for such slurs, he said it was more important to educate the people involved.

More than a decade has passed since Nicky Winmar and Michael Long stood up against racist comments from spectators and opponents but Goodes said he had heard similar slurs in the past five years.

Speaking as the Swans held a light session at the National Centre for Indigenous Excellence in Redfern on Monday, Goodes was quizzed on his reaction to the news that NRL star Timana Tahu had quit the NSW State of Origin camp after overhearing a racist comment from assistant coach Andrew Johns.

He praised Tahu's stand and said that in many cases, the perpetrator was unaware of the impact of their words.

"I definitely know in my instances, having dealt with them after getting an apology from them, is that they didn't really think it was offensive to call someone that," Goodes said on Monday.

"It is a little bit about educating them as well as standing up for your own rights, your own beliefs and what hurts you."

Goodes said he would have no hesitation in again speaking out if he was the target of racially-offensive banter.

And he said that AFL players played an important role in educating others sports people and the wider community in general.

"It still happens in society. We can't sit back and think sport's changing [it, but] we like to think we are changing a lot of mindsets. We're trying to be the role models for behaviour for younger players and people out there playing sport," Goodes said.

"What happened on the weekend just shows us that we are on track but there are people who still don't know what offends people.

"It was good of Andrew to come out and apologise the way he did and take responsibility for his actions, because that's part of it. You have to accept that what you did say did offend someone and that's an important thing."

bodyline

Back to top Go down

Post by Mick Sawyer Tue 15 Jun 2010, 06:05

JGK wrote:Who's that?

daley
Mick Sawyer
Mick Sawyer

Number of posts : 7267
Registration date : 2007-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by bodyline Tue 15 Jun 2010, 06:07

Mick Sawyer wrote:

daley

Sptted him at Sheraton Mirage on sunday - looking a bit worse for wear.

bodyline

Back to top Go down

Post by G.Wood Tue 15 Jun 2010, 06:10

Mick Sawyer wrote:

daley

yeah him

has the lazy eye to prove it
G.Wood
G.Wood

Number of posts : 12070
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : none

Back to top Go down

Post by Mick Sawyer Tue 15 Jun 2010, 06:19

Had you been to bed at that point? That little bar across from reception?
Mick Sawyer
Mick Sawyer

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Tue 15 Jun 2010, 06:29

G.Wood wrote:
Mick Sawyer wrote:

daley

yeah him

has the lazy eye to prove it

Well there you go. I didn't even notice.

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by bodyline Tue 15 Jun 2010, 06:31

Mick Sawyer wrote:

Breakers Bar or oyster bar?

bodyline

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Tue 15 Jun 2010, 06:38

bodyline wrote:
horace wrote:
skully wrote:Still pretty soft of Tahu to flounce off if that's what was said. Sure, it's tacky and totally classless by Joey to have said it, but I reckon Tahu would've lost count of the number of times he's been called that on the footy park.

If he was fair dinkum, he would've just snotted Joey and said, "next time, I won't just rearrange your face, I'll break your neck."

Never looked like he was really interested in playing for the Blues and has used this as a get-out-of-gaol-free-and-avoid-the-embarrassment-of-another-Maroon-hiding card.

I disagree S...AFL cleaned its act up on the race issue ages ago..Michael Long and Nicky Winmar really took on the race issue in AFL - the game has prospered as a result - not least through more Indigenous players playing the game and thrilling fans..

people like Goodes, McLeod and O'loughlin are respected for their talents and contributions on and off the field and set terrific examples for indigenous (and non Indigenous) kids everywhere.

I hope Tahu takes this on...he should be supported

SYDNEY Swans co-captain Adam Goodes says AFL players need to continue their fight to stamp out racism from all levels of the game and sport in general.

But rather than condemn those responsible for such slurs, he said it was more important to educate the people involved.

More than a decade has passed since Nicky Winmar and Michael Long stood up against racist comments from spectators and opponents but Goodes said he had heard similar slurs in the past five years.

Speaking as the Swans held a light session at the National Centre for Indigenous Excellence in Redfern on Monday, Goodes was quizzed on his reaction to the news that NRL star Timana Tahu had quit the NSW State of Origin camp after overhearing a racist comment from assistant coach Andrew Johns.

He praised Tahu's stand and said that in many cases, the perpetrator was unaware of the impact of their words.

"I definitely know in my instances, having dealt with them after getting an apology from them, is that they didn't really think it was offensive to call someone that," Goodes said on Monday.

"It is a little bit about educating them as well as standing up for your own rights, your own beliefs and what hurts you."

Goodes said he would have no hesitation in again speaking out if he was the target of racially-offensive banter.

And he said that AFL players played an important role in educating others sports people and the wider community in general.

"It still happens in society. We can't sit back and think sport's changing [it, but] we like to think we are changing a lot of mindsets. We're trying to be the role models for behaviour for younger players and people out there playing sport," Goodes said.

"What happened on the weekend just shows us that we are on track but there are people who still don't know what offends people.

"It was good of Andrew to come out and apologise the way he did and take responsibility for his actions, because that's part of it. You have to accept that what you did say did offend someone and that's an important thing."

Thanx for that Bodyline.....btw want a forum mintie wager on the result of the pies v swans game?
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by G.Wood Tue 15 Jun 2010, 06:41

bodyline's haunt

SoO Game 2 - Page 4 31996
G.Wood
G.Wood

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Tue 15 Jun 2010, 06:48

bodyline would only go to maroon bars...looks more like a typical spiv hangout to me, given the colour scheme...all that image needs is a goat and I expect you would have tac's mum's basement
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Tue 15 Jun 2010, 07:14

I think the problem with indig players and NSW is not enough of them come through due to a less than ideal environment at other levels in Sydney and NSW as a whole(That's not looking for a bite either).

A fair portion of QLD players have always come from the bush. The Foley Shield (NQ) was for many years considered stronger than the Brisbane comp. Outback QLD like the NT, whilst having an attrocious general attitude towards Aboriginal Affairs, have always been more comfortable with Aboriginals on a personal level.
Bradman
Bradman

Number of posts : 17402
Registration date : 2008-08-13
Flag/Background : war

Back to top Go down

Post by Mick Sawyer Tue 15 Jun 2010, 09:04

bodyline wrote:
Mick Sawyer wrote:

Breakers Bar or oyster bar?

fiik.
Mick Sawyer
Mick Sawyer

Back to top Go down

Post by Nath Tue 15 Jun 2010, 09:47

I note that there are 2 cinemas showing the game in 3D. Wonder how many tickets would be sold at each venue?
Nath
Nath

Number of posts : 11974
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Hass Wed 16 Jun 2010, 02:03

Mick Sawyer wrote:
You know, if Tahu walked out after his team mates had shown solidarity with him (by throwing Johns out of a window) then I would question his committment to the cause. Players withdraw from teams at the last minute all the time. It's a fact of life. This withdrawal came 5 days before the freaking game. Hardly just before the whistle. The fact that he left it for 24 hours says to me that he carefully considered his decision. If something toxic had of been welling up inside me for years I guarantee I wouldn't be in the right mental state to perform at my best.

Btw, you didn't address my questions about directing his grievances to clowns like Geoff Carr or going through with the game and lodging his complaint after the contest.

When a player walks out on an Origin camp it doesn't happen in a vacuum. It's not like a player withdrawing because of a hamstring complaint or a death in the family. It causes ripples that can seriously stuff up a team's preparation.

As for Geoff Carr et al. You do have a point. They are clowns of the highest order. It's clear Tahu wanted to draw attention to Johns behaviour and show that it's not acceptable. That's a very fair and worthy stance to take. But all it would take is one leak to the press that Carr/Young weren't following up his complaint and the media would be all over the story like Artie Beetson on a meat pie. I don't know what others would say, but I would have respected him for taking that course of action. Instead he has lost me.

He has not considered his team-mates, who may not have thrown Johns out the window because they interpreted his comments differently or were just willing to suck it up for the sake of the Blue jersey. A jersey that Tahu only last month said:
"...means more than any I wore representing my country in rugby. Means more than playing with the Kangaroos. I put this jersey on and get shivers right down my back. Honestly, I get goosebumps."

Perhaps I'm just too set in my ways on this issue, but you just don't walk out of an Origin camp - you just don't. You stick with the team for better or worse even if you feel you aren't getting the support you deserve. That jersey is bigger than one team, one set of players or one assistant coach.

Hass

Number of posts : 2401
Registration date : 2007-09-10
Flag/Background : nsw

Back to top Go down

Post by bodyline Wed 16 Jun 2010, 02:40

2 - Nil here we come.

bodyline

Back to top Go down

Post by Mick Sawyer Wed 16 Jun 2010, 05:17

When a player walks out on an Origin camp it doesn't happen in a vacuum. It's not like a player withdrawing because of a hamstring complaint or a death in the family. It causes ripples that can seriously stuff up a team's preparation.

You're right. It's a huge deal. Akin to him forfeiting the blue jersey he treasures so devoutly.

What I'm struggling to convey to you is that Tahu may have felt so aggrieved, with emotions churning so strongly that he knew it was best (for him and the team) not to be there. He knew that he wasn't going to be mentally right to play and that his condition couldn't improve with Johns remaining about the place.

Anyhow................ here's hoping for a cracker.
Mick Sawyer
Mick Sawyer

Back to top Go down

Post by G.Wood Wed 16 Jun 2010, 05:21

Mick Sawyer wrote:
Anyhow................ here's hoping for a cracker.

SoO Game 2 - Page 4 Cracker2
G.Wood
G.Wood

Back to top Go down

Post by Mick Sawyer Wed 16 Jun 2010, 07:36

Sheeeet that was a great show, spoiled only by the lack of frequent scenes of the red headed chick nuded up.

Last edited by Mick Sawyer on Wed 16 Jun 2010, 07:44; edited 1 time in total
Mick Sawyer
Mick Sawyer

Back to top Go down

Post by G.Wood Wed 16 Jun 2010, 07:40

fat blokes and rangas - now there's an untapped fetish

aye, it were ace. And totally destroyed by the seppos when they had a go
G.Wood
G.Wood

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Wed 16 Jun 2010, 07:41

Mick Sawyer wrote:Sheeeet that was a great show, spoiled only by the lack of frequent scenes of him shagging the red headed chick

Is that why I like watching Gillard maul Hockey in Question Time?
embee
embee

Number of posts : 26215
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by Mick Sawyer Wed 16 Jun 2010, 07:59

embee wrote:
Mick Sawyer wrote:Sheeeet that was a great show, spoiled only by the lack of frequent scenes of him shagging the red headed chick

Is that why I like watching Gillard maul Hockey in Question Time?

snigger > chortle > snorfle
Mick Sawyer
Mick Sawyer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mick Sawyer Wed 16 Jun 2010, 08:00

totally destroyed by the seppos

Thank feck I missed that.
Mick Sawyer