Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Has Tendulkar batted better before?

+12
Hass
Lara Lara Laughs
PlanetPakistan
Paul Keating
G.Wood
Henry
Basil
Gary 111
The One
DJ_Smerk
tac
SG
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Has Tendulkar batted better before? Empty Has Tendulkar batted better before?

Post by SG Wed 20 Oct 2010, 13:53

Despite all his run mountains this year I still think '98 was his best ever year. He was unstoppable that year.

SG

Number of posts : 12806
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Has Tendulkar batted better before? Empty Re: Has Tendulkar batted better before?

Post by tac Wed 20 Oct 2010, 14:01

I'd agree, SG . . for all the runs this year, I can't remember if he even stepped foot outside the subcontinent . . .
tac
tac

Number of posts : 19270
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : pon

Back to top Go down

Has Tendulkar batted better before? Empty Re: Has Tendulkar batted better before?

Post by DJ_Smerk Wed 20 Oct 2010, 14:05

Has Tendulkar batted better before? Facepalm
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Number of posts : 15938
Registration date : 2007-09-08
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by SG Wed 20 Oct 2010, 14:05

Of course, thats his fault.

SG

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Wed 20 Oct 2010, 14:07

Did I say it was his fault? I'm saying it makes the '98 runs more impressive to me . . .but be a defensive little arsewipe . . . it suits you
tac
tac

Back to top Go down

Post by SG Wed 20 Oct 2010, 14:08

He didn't tour much in '98 as well.

But then facts and you, forget it.

SG

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ_Smerk Wed 20 Oct 2010, 14:08

tac/zat I'm not sure who is who, but I don't think anyone was being defensive here.

Although as a "say-it-how-I-see-it" merchant, I'd expect nothing less.

Carry on.
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Number of posts : 15938
Registration date : 2007-09-08
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Wed 20 Oct 2010, 14:11

SG wrote:He didn't tour much in '98 as well.
But then facts and you, forget it.

Funny that . . .
tac
tac

Back to top Go down

Post by The One Wed 20 Oct 2010, 15:24

i have not seen him with a tighter defence and a better play of the percentages. he had more destructive innings in the 90s but this current period is closest to batting perfection. you feel its going to take an absolute pearler or a moment of indiscretion on his part to get him out

The One

Number of posts : 9035
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary 111 Thu 21 Oct 2010, 00:52

tac wrote:I'd agree, SG . . for all the runs this year, I can't remember if he even stepped foot outside the subcontinent . . .

Yeah, that home boy has only managed a measly 7,819 runs at 56.25 in Test outside of India. He's achieved more in half his career, away from home in foreign conditions, than some bog-standard talentless batsman like Greg Chappell (7110 at 53.86) managed in his own career.

He's had a particular hard time playing in the back yard of the undisputed number 1 team of the era:

in Australia - 1,522 runs at 58.53

Or confronting the alien challenge of swing bowling on the green tops of England....

in England, 1,302 runs at 62.00

Gary 111
Gary 111

Number of posts : 5717
Registration date : 2007-09-02

http://www.flamingbails.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Thu 21 Oct 2010, 00:58

Now is a good time to be a batsman in test cricket - flat pitches and nondescript bowling (with a very few exceptions)

Having said that, you have to admire Tendulkar's hunger for the game bearing in mind that he has played it at the highest level for 21 years and, at one point point looked like being on his way out of the game due to fitness issues.
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15936
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Thu 21 Oct 2010, 01:06

There are some flat pitches in certain countries these days, however, it's not like batsmen are suddenly averaging 70. Tendulkar and Sanga both have the highest averages of contemporary batsmen (56) and barring Bradman, that's been about the top average throughout history during any given era.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary 111 Thu 21 Oct 2010, 01:55

Henry wrote:There are some flat pitches in certain countries these days, however, it's not like batsmen are suddenly averaging 70. Tendulkar and Sanga both have the highest averages of contemporary batsmen (56) and barring Bradman, that's been about the top average throughout history during any given era.

Aye, Tendulkar has benefitted from the run fest in the 2000s. The only era were runs were more freely available was the 30s. A dearth of good fast bowlers and timeless tests often played on puddings. Bradman averaged over 60 (almost 100) but so did Hutton, Hammond, Headley, Sutcliffe. The war had an effect, physically on Hutton. Hammond and Headley were forced to play as the next generation were lost. Their averages dropped. It had the opposite effect on Bradman, as he played against war weakened teams.

But Tendulkar also spent half his career in the 90s, an era of seamer friendly pitches and great bowlers. How many great bowlers did Bradman face? Tendulkar's 14,000+ runs came against:

Imran
Waqar
Wasim
Mushtaq
Warne
McGrath
Vettori
McDermott
Gillespie
Ntini
Donald
Pollock
Steyn
Gough
Flintoff
Fraser
Hoggard
Jones
Ambrose
Walsh
Bishop
Murali
Vaas

In 171 matches the only bowler to register more than 6 dismissals had an illegal action, and even then it took him 19 tests for 8 dismissals. (so not quite Atherton vs McGrath, 19 dismissals in 17 innings...)
Gary 111
Gary 111

Number of posts : 5717
Registration date : 2007-09-02

http://www.flamingbails.com

Back to top Go down

Post by G.Wood Thu 21 Oct 2010, 02:46

(so not quite Atherton vs McGrath, 19 dismissals in 17 innings...)

I knew Pidg was grouse but that is freaky

(unless Billy was umpiring)
G.Wood
G.Wood

Number of posts : 12070
Flag/Background : none

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Keating Thu 21 Oct 2010, 02:52

Farkin PMSL
Paul Keating
Paul Keating

Has Tendulkar batted better before? Svlx7uN

Number of posts : 4663
Registration date : 2007-10-25
Flag/Background : wi

Back to top Go down

Post by PlanetPakistan Thu 21 Oct 2010, 03:43

The One wrote:i have not seen him with a tighter defence and a better play of the percentages. he had more destructive innings in the 90s but this current period is closest to batting perfection. you feel its going to take an absolute pearler or a moment of indiscretion on his part to get him out
fully agree
PlanetPakistan
PlanetPakistan

Number of posts : 10285
Registration date : 2008-02-06
Flag/Background : pak

Back to top Go down

Post by Lara Lara Laughs Fri 29 Oct 2010, 15:50

Tendulkar is a God. I'd say that I rate him above Lara now.

For me, Lara vs Sachin comes down to dazzling peaks versus consistent genius.

Lara - untouchable on his day. Tendulkar - making a solid case for best batsman of all time.
Lara Lara Laughs
Lara Lara Laughs

Number of posts : 8943

Back to top Go down

Post by Hass Fri 29 Oct 2010, 15:59

Lara Lara Laughs wrote:Tendulkar is a God. I'd say that I rate him above Lara now.

For me, Lara vs Sachin comes down to dazzling peaks versus consistent genius.

Lara - untouchable on his day. Tendulkar - making a solid case for best batsman of all time.

It's one thing to compare Tendulkar to God. It's quite another to compare him to Donald Bradman!

Hass

Has Tendulkar batted better before? MPDozzd

Number of posts : 2401
Registration date : 2007-09-10
Flag/Background : nsw

Back to top Go down

Post by doremi Fri 29 Oct 2010, 16:27

Bradman was a freak. He should be brainwashed out of our memories and all records of his existence erased, especially that lame-ass average.
doremi
doremi

Number of posts : 9743
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 29 Oct 2010, 16:46

When Tendulkar averages over 30 more than his peers then he can start making a case for himself as the best batsman of all time.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 29 Oct 2010, 16:50

doremi wrote:Bradman was a freak. He should be brainwashed out of our memories and all records of his existence erased, especially that lame-ass average.
Cricket is actually the only sport I can think of where a certain player will always be indisputably the best in his chosen area of the sport. No one is ever going to get close to his average and neither will anyone come close to being as far ahead of his peers as Bradman was.

I see what you mean in that it's annoying in a way because having arguments over who is the second best batsmen of all time isn't as fun as deciding who is the best, but that first place will always belong to the Don.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lara Lara Laughs Fri 29 Oct 2010, 18:12

I said he's making a case, not that he is. Longevity at the top level is a massive factor and is why a lot of people rate, for example, Warne above O' Reilly. Not that it is the players with shorter careers fault.

Plus with Sachin there are the unquantifiable factors such as the crushing pressure for 20 years and simply the sheer glory of watching him play.
Lara Lara Laughs
Lara Lara Laughs

Number of posts : 8943

Back to top Go down

Post by The One Sat 30 Oct 2010, 08:39

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2010/oct/30/sachin-tendulkar

two quotes stand out

"I'm really focusing now on how I can get to the next level as a batsman. How can I get even more competitive? How can I get even more consistent? How can I get better?"

and

"This is what I tell my son. Whether you're an 11-year-old boy or Don Bradman we should never forget it's just a game we can all enjoy."

thats why i think he has at least 3 years left in the game. more than that? inshallah

The One

Number of posts : 9035
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 30 Oct 2010, 09:34

Lara Lara Laughs wrote:I said he's making a case, not that he is. Longevity at the top level is a massive factor and is why a lot of people rate, for example, Warne above O' Reilly. Not that it is the players with shorter careers fault.

Plus with Sachin there are the unquantifiable factors such as the crushing pressure for 20 years and simply the sheer glory of watching him play.
He's making a good case as being the second best batsman of all time, nothing more.

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Keating Sat 30 Oct 2010, 11:07

Bradman played test cricket for over twenty years. It is no as if hr didn't have longevity
Paul Keating
Paul Keating

Has Tendulkar batted better before? Svlx7uN

Number of posts : 4663
Registration date : 2007-10-25
Flag/Background : wi

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next