Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Celebrity Death List MMXI / The Death Thread 2011

+31
Big Dog
Brass Monkey
OP Tipping
PeterCS
embee
G.Wood
ever hopeful
JKLever
horace
LeFromage
Henry
DJ_Smerk
Demelza
Chivalry Augustus
mynah
Paul Keating
Blackadder
Basil
Growler
Allan D
JGK
taipan
eowyn
Jontyh
WideWally
Bradman
Nath
lardbucket
Fred Nerk
Zat
skully
35 posters

Page 40 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40

Go down

Celebrity Death List MMXI / The Death Thread 2011 - Page 40 Empty Re: Celebrity Death List MMXI / The Death Thread 2011

Post by lardbucket Sat 23 Jul 2011, 23:59

horace wrote: ... scared the absolute Hilditches out of them ...

ha!

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38490
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Celebrity Death List MMXI / The Death Thread 2011 - Page 40 Empty Re: Celebrity Death List MMXI / The Death Thread 2011

Post by Growler Sun 24 Jul 2011, 00:33

lardbucket wrote:I reckon Basil may have seen it too, and perhaps Growler.

and AD of course

I'm not quite in my dotage yet lardy Very Happy

In truth, I'd have been three when Doctor Who was first aired, so too young to remember it - besides which we didn't have a TV until I was about 5.

My earliest clear memory of telly is Top of the Pops ...... friday night was bath night, when kid brother & I were scrubbed in the tin tub in front of the fire, TOTP in the background.

I can vaguely remember the second doctor ( Patrick Troughton ), but I didn't watch regularly until Jon Pertwee took the role.
Growler
Growler

Celebrity Death List MMXI / The Death Thread 2011 - Page 40 MPDozzd

Number of posts : 2286
Registration date : 2007-10-13
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Sun 24 Jul 2011, 00:40

The tin tub? That brings back some memories. One of my earliest memories is of baths at my great-grandmother's house ... she filled the tub from a copper. I loved the smell. I always thought you and I were around the same age? '59 model, me.

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38490

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Sun 24 Jul 2011, 00:46

Growler wrote:

and AD of course

In truth, I'd have been three when Doctor Who was first aired, so too young to remember it - besides which we didn't have a TV until I was about 5.

My earliest clear memory of telly is Top of the Pops ...... friday night was bath night, when kid brother & I were scrubbed in the tin tub in front of the fire, TOTP in the background.

I can vaguely remember the second doctor ( Patrick Troughton ), but I didn't watch regularly until Jon Pertwee took the role.

Same for me - I still reckon that Tom Baker was the best Dr. Who I saw - after that it was downhill. Sylvester McCoy? Oh please!

My earliest TV memory was Rag, Tag and Bobtail, which went out at 1.45pm under the "Watch with Mother" brand alongside Andy Pandy, The Woodentops and The Flowerpot Men.
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 16011
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by Growler Sun 24 Jul 2011, 01:23

October 1960 I was born, so reached my half-century last year.

Bas .... the flowerpot men, that brings back memories. Remember the episode where Ben said "flobber wobber yobba wobber ......" at which point Bill interrupted, saying

"****** off Ben, you're pissed"
Growler
Growler

Celebrity Death List MMXI / The Death Thread 2011 - Page 40 MPDozzd

Number of posts : 2286
Registration date : 2007-10-13
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Sun 24 Jul 2011, 03:09

Congrats to the Leeds Lass for getting on the board, and on a rare under-30s nom getting up. As everyone has said though, hardly surprising, but commiz to her loved ones.

skully wrote:Gough Whitlam (Former Aus PM)
Michael Douglas (Actor)
Norman Gordon (Saffie Test cricketer)
Luise Rainer (Actress)
Harry Morgan (Actor)
Chris Brown (singer - U30)
Zat wrote:Ronnie Biggs (Great Train Robber)
Kim Jong-il (North Korean Scumbag)
John Edrich (Former Test Cricketer)
Billy Graham (Will he take a closer step to god?)
Yitzhak Shamir (As Sharon in-stasis is taken)
Mary-Kate Olsen (She had the temerity to survive a year on qmy's list)
Fred Nerk wrote:Chuck Berry
Angus T. Jones (The obnoxious little sh!t who plays the obnoxious little sh!t in 'Two and a Half Men', born 1993)
Margaret Thatcher
Charlie Sutton (AFL's oldest surviving coach)
Bart Cummings
Tom Graveney
lardbucket wrote:Yevgeney Kalfelnikov
Angelina Jolie
Prince Harry
Bob Hawke
Slash
Sebastien Vettel
Nath wrote:Lindsay Lohan
Neil Harvey
'Superstar' Billy Graham (the wrestler)
Leif Garrett
Betty White
Shigeru Miyamoto
Bradman wrote:Jodie Sweetin (under thirty actress)
Fidel Castro (Revolutionary and seppo weeping wound)
Betty Ford (Gerry's widow) DEADED
B.B King (Blues man)
Andy Griffith (TV, recording artist)
Robert Mugabe (say no more)
Jontyh wrote:Stefani Joanne Angelina Germanotta (Lady Gaga)
Anna Wing (Meeeeechelle)
Patrick MacNee (Steed)
Frederica Sagor Maas (Seppo Playwright)
Alfred Proksch (Austrian Olympian)
Dick Cheney (Seppo ex VP)
eowyn wrote:Amy Winehouse DEADED
Alex Ferguson
Naomi Campbell
Barak Obama
Engelbert Humperdink
Alastair Campbell
taipan wrote:Nelson Mandela
Julius Malema (I wish)
Keith Richards (yeah I know the joke)
Henry Kissinger
Neil Adcock
Britney Spears
JGK wrote:Aretha Franklin
Reg Simpson
James Earl Jones
Peter O'Toole
Margaret Whitlam
Rihanna
Growler wrote:Elizabeth Taylor DEADED
Harold "Dickie" Bird - sport category
Dr Ian Paisley - politics category
Eli Wallach
Clive Dunn
Michael Dunlop (motorcycle TT racer) - under 30 category
Blackadder wrote:Paris Hilton (Currently under 30, and I just don't mean her IQ)
Kirk Douglas
Nancy Reagan
Chuck Yeager
Richard Attenborough
George Bush Snr.
Allan D wrote:Zsa Zsa Gabor
Trevor Bailey (of Essex and England and late of TMS not the clockwork radio inventor - that's Baylis) DEADED
Denis Healey
Justin Bieber
Hosni Mubarak
Larry King
Paul Keating wrote:Laurie Oakes
Mariah Carey
Wyatt Roy (under 30)
Rod Stewart
Laurie Lawrence (swimming coach)
Allan Greenspan
Demelza wrote:Ariel Sharon (politics)
Severiano Ballesteros (sport) DEADED
Mischa Barton (U30)
Patrick Moore (Stars at Night)
Eric Sykes
Andy Williams
horace wrote:Bob Simpson - obscure father in law of current chair of Oz NSP
Janette Howard - power behind the throne
Tammy Fraser - wife of ex PM Mal
Prince Billy - the older prince
Rose Hancock - celeb vulture
Doris Lessing - wonderful writer
Henry wrote:Malia Ann Obama (Barack's oldest daughter) (U-30)
John Prescott (Politics)
Salman Butt (Sport)
Christopher Plummer (Captain Von Trap from the Sound of Music)
Ronnie Wood
Vanessa Redgrave
vilkrang wrote:Tony Benn (Politics)
Nicole Richie (Under 30)
Christopher Hitchens
Jake Lamotta
Vera Lynn
Michael Gough DEADED
JKLever wrote:Jimmy Bullard - Hull footballer on the verge of joining Ipswich
Richard Keys - sexist TV frontman
Gordon Brown - haggard ex-PM
Belinda Carlisle - shaggable desire of my youth
Padraig Harrington - Irish golfer
Andy Murray - British/Scottish Tennis player
OP Tipping wrote:Zara Phillips (under 30, and sportsperson)
Colonel Gaddafi
Tom Baker
Steve Jobs
Vladimir Putin
Kim Yong-nam
skully
skully

Number of posts : 106441
Registration date : 2007-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by eowyn Sun 24 Jul 2011, 07:49

Picked her as a kind of woof. Wish I hadn't now.

Came back from a week cut off from everything in the sun, put the TV on to try and find out what had been going on in Norway and heard this. Feel for her family, they had tried so hard to help her.
eowyn
eowyn

Number of posts : 11132
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : yrk

Back to top Go down

Post by Allan D Sun 24 Jul 2011, 08:18

True, but unfortunately you have to want to be helped before you can break out of a pattern of self-destructive behaviour. The BBC appear to have gone into full-on Princess Di-mode which I find particularly nauseating considering that so many young people with everything to live for have died for nothing at the hands of a nutcase in Norway.

Ms Winehouse's death, far from adding to the tragedy of this awful weekend, merely points up her own self-indulgence and selfishness in wasting her life when she could have used her undoubted talent and the wealth and fame that comes with it to have helped others less fortunate than herself.

Next Friday will mark the 37th anniversary of the death of Cass Elliott, of The Mamas and the Papas fame, endowed with the sort of vocal ability God should have no right to extend to a mere human being, at the age of 32 in the same Mayfair flat that was to witness the death of Keith Moon, drummer with The Who, four years later. Mama Cass added food to the usual cocktail of drink and drug addiction although the story that she choked to death on a sandwich appears to be a myth.

However she had appeared to have conquered her demons and had just completed a two-week sell-out concert run at the London Palladium where she had received a standing ovation at the end of every show much to her delight. Ms Winehouse however appeared to be on the road to nowhere after an ill-advised concert tour to the Balkans where her shows had to be abandoned part way through due to her alcholism.

The lines about Janis Joplin in Don McLean's song American Pie are brought to mind that perhaps could serve as her epitaph:

I met a girl who sang the blues
And I asked for some happy news
But she just smiled and turned away
Allan D
Allan D

Number of posts : 6635

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Sun 24 Jul 2011, 08:39

Death is not a trivial thing. My thoughts are with her family and friends, to whom this event would've impacted more greatly than us. As mentioned, she joins the 27 Club. What wasn't mentioned is that Jim Morrison and Robert Johnson got there before her.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Allan D Sun 24 Jul 2011, 09:00

Growler wrote:

and AD of course

Neither am I, although no doubt many on this forum would beg to differ. The first episode of Dr Who went out at 5:20 following the conclusion of Grandstand, then presented by David Coleman, on Saturday 23 November 1963 the day following someone who was not J.R. being shot for real in Dallas (the J.R. fictional shooting came exactly 16 years later). I remember BBC had opened up its service early that morning (Football Focus, previewing that day's league programme, began at 12:30) to run endless replays of the previous day's events (although there was no Zapruder footage at that stage).

The following Sunday evening witnessed the first live murder to be shown on both sides of the Atlantic (the Telstar satellite which had been put up the previous year enabled live coverage from the US for the first time) when Lee Harvey Oswald was shot by Jack Ruby as the former was being taken out of the Dallas County Jail for a court appearance.

There was some doubt as to whether Dr Who, then eagerly anticipated, was going to be shown in the light of what happened the evening before and whether the kiddiwinks could cope with the fictional as well as the actual drama. However the powers-that-be obviously determined that the nation's youth was made of sterner stuff and the broadcast went out as scheduled.

The first Doctor was William Hartnell who had had a distinguished career as a character actor in British films since the 1930s but who was already familiar to TV viewers as CSM Bullimore in The Army Game, a comedy about a group of National Servicemen, on ITV from 1957-60 and he had also appeared in a similar role as Sergeant Grimshaw in the 1958 film Carry On Sergeant, the first of the "Carry On" films. He died in 1975 aged 67.
Allan D
Allan D

Back to top Go down

Post by Allan D Sun 24 Jul 2011, 09:05

Brass Monkey wrote:Death is not a trivial thing. My thoughts are with her family and friends, to whom this event would've impacted more greatly than us. As mentioned, she joins the 27 Club. What wasn't mentioned is that Jim Morrison and Robert Johnson got there before her.

As well as Brian Jones, although he may have been helped along according to a film I saw a few years ago. Fill list here:

27 Club

Other 27yos to meet a premature end have been Joseph "Elephant Man" Merrick in 1890, the poet Rupert Brooke and the physicist Henry Moseley, both in 1915, the former to blood poisoning the latter to a Turkish sniper at Gallipoli.
Allan D
Allan D

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Sun 24 Jul 2011, 10:16

Wow, the 27 Club is quite remarkable in its size. Musos must party when they hit 28. Shocked
skully
skully

Number of posts : 106441

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Sun 24 Jul 2011, 12:04

Well, I can't say i'm upset that Winehouse is dead. It's a tragic story, though. I'm almost angry that someone so talented pissed her life away, becoming addicted to booze and drugs.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891

Back to top Go down

Post by Allan D Sun 24 Jul 2011, 12:13

An old, old story sadly, H. Here's the founder member of the '17' Club, for example:

Thomas Chatterton
Allan D
Allan D

Back to top Go down

Post by OP Tipping Sun 24 Jul 2011, 15:07

"must party when they reach 28"

I know the Big Boppa did.

-------

http://www.flamingbails.com/viewtopic.forum?t=11548
OP Tipping
OP Tipping

Celebrity Death List MMXI / The Death Thread 2011 - Page 40 Svlx7uN

Number of posts : 4680
Registration date : 2008-01-10
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 40 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40