Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

(Not-very-seasonal) Cricket Cartoon/Painting Quiz

5 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

(Not-very-seasonal) Cricket Cartoon/Painting Quiz - Page 3 Empty Re: (Not-very-seasonal) Cricket Cartoon/Painting Quiz

Post by Bradman Tue 10 Jan 2017, 04:12

PeterCS wrote:D
Undue pressure on umpires may well be a timeless theme. But:

10. What year was this painting done? (You can have the point if you're within 3 years).
(Not-very-seasonal) Cricket Cartoon/Painting Quiz - Page 3 12

Spoiler:
Bradman
Bradman

Number of posts : 17402
Registration date : 2008-08-13
Flag/Background : war

Back to top Go down

(Not-very-seasonal) Cricket Cartoon/Painting Quiz - Page 3 Empty Re: (Not-very-seasonal) Cricket Cartoon/Painting Quiz

Post by PeterCS Tue 10 Jan 2017, 23:04

Bradders, I don't have the info on me at the mo (it was over 3 years ago, different computer, different place). I will be able to get back to you on it, but end of next week at earliest.

My impression (from the non-matching belt, type of whites, etc.) would be a decade earlier. But 3+ years memory may play me tricks.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Wed 11 Jan 2017, 00:29

No rush. I've spent about a hundred hours over the last three months trying to track the bastard down. That was a pretty wild stab in the dark, though there was a semblance of reasoning behind it.

It sounds like I might have been on the wrong track anyway.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Tue 14 Feb 2017, 18:06

Finally ....

Fred Leist, "The Umpire", likely date 1905 (!)

He moved on to more serious things ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Leist

http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/leist-frederick-william-fred-7166
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Wed 15 Feb 2017, 00:28

Well I guess they call them WAGs for a reason.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Wed 15 Feb 2017, 00:57

PeterCS wrote:F
This one is typical of Ralph Steadman (although he's always a bit bloodyhysterical like Gerald Scarfe.)

13. Who's the bowler?
14. What year? (Again, you can have three years either way.)
(Not-very-seasonal) Cricket Cartoon/Painting Quiz - Page 3 13

It's Maxie Walker at the Centenary test and was produced during the match.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Wed 15 Feb 2017, 01:27

Bang on with the occasion - though the bowler Steadman had in mind was the guy at the other end (who made the difference in the match, with 11 wickets & a faster & an even more hostile style than Tangles').

Remember DKL had loads of hair in the 70s!

(Not-very-seasonal) Cricket Cartoon/Painting Quiz - Page 3 1-3297349-jpg_120253

This cheeky bugger did a Norman Wisdom through the storm.

(Not-very-seasonal) Cricket Cartoon/Painting Quiz - Page 3 2b3c5b7e6be57c92e30207f338b441ac
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Thu 16 Feb 2017, 02:09

Funny I thought it and a few others (the Jardine one most notably) were that bleeding obvious I ignored them when the thread first came out I ignored them in pursuit of others and got a whole lot of tunnel vision and bad vision for indifferent results.

Steadman did such a fine job portraying the crap MCG pitch and it's demons via the bloody cracks and seagulls that one could only conclude that is more a likeness of Maxie rather than DK. And it's not like Maxie was a passenger.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Thu 16 Feb 2017, 02:17

BTW. The original work is dated the 16th, prior to the last session on day five. I believe he was there.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Thu 16 Feb 2017, 02:56

Would certainly add immediacy to his painting.

Perhaps easy for a Pom to whinge (ha!), but for a caricaturist of strong stomach, he seems to be alarmed at the degree of bloodlust out on the square. Jubilant fielders transformed into soaring seagulls as the victim is felled, and all that. Sort of anti-Bodyline shriek to the picture, demented perspective and all.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Thu 16 Feb 2017, 03:28

PeterCS wrote:Would certainly add immediacy to his painting.

Perhaps easy for a Pom to whinge (ha!), but for a caricaturist of strong stomach, he seems to be alarmed at the degree of bloodlust out on the square. Jubilant fielders transformed into soaring seagulls as the  victim is felled, and all that. Sort of anti-Bodyline shriek to the picture, demented perspective and all.

Hehehe! He'd certainly worked with it before. And the boys were only fuelled up on beer. Not an exotic West African drug or human adrenal gland in sight.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3