Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gayle asks Mel M out during post-innings interview

+21
Aditya
furriner
buckSH
Blackadder
Chivalry Augustus
OP Tipping
Big Dog
Bradman
Fred Nerk
skully
lardbucket
Henry
Ethics? The Gall!
Lara Lara Laughs
Brass Monkey
taipan
PeterCS
embee
JGK
horace
Red
25 posters

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Gayle asks Mel M out during post-innings interview - Page 3 Empty Re: Gayle asks Mel M out during post-innings interview

Post by Red Tue 05 Jan 2016, 18:22

Gayle was way out of line but in some ways the authorities are reaping what they sow. When you 'bastardise' a sport to focus on gimmicks, fireworks, dancing girls etc. and have a female presenter sticking a microphone in front of someone whose adrenaline is still running hot after a whirlwind innings you can maybe expect the unexpected. Aussie guys might not stray into this territory because the context around domestic violence is in the forefront here but to someone like Gayle, flirting with females on air or not, might be de rigueur.
Red
Red

Number of posts : 17071
Registration date : 2007-10-28
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Gayle asks Mel M out during post-innings interview - Page 3 Empty Re: Gayle asks Mel M out during post-innings interview

Post by Red Tue 05 Jan 2016, 18:23

lardbucket wrote:Piers Morgan thinks it's all a storm in a teacup.

"I'm absolutely outraged that everyone's so absolutely outraged by @henrygayle being a bit cheeky to a female TV reporter. #BBL05"

Chappelli was disgusted that Gayle retweeted this allegedly after he had originally apologised.
Red
Red

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Tue 05 Jan 2016, 18:29

Well at least the men from Chapelli's era weren't sexist at all.....
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Tue 05 Jan 2016, 18:30

Yes they were. It was the 1970's.

Let's hope we can 'move on' from that era.

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38095
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Tue 05 Jan 2016, 18:53

lardbucket wrote:Yes they were. It was the 1970's.

Let's hope we can 'move on' from that era.

NSR
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Tue 05 Jan 2016, 20:57

For me, it's getting a bit out of hand. Gayle was completely unprofessional in what he did - that's just like him. But to suggest that some professional journalist can't hack a creepy-type acting in a mildly lascivious manner... well, I'd call that sexist. How about we treat women as equals, rather that delicate little flowers? It was an awkward position, but interviewers of both sexes are put in awkward positions all the time.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 05 Jan 2016, 21:02

lardbucket wrote:Piers Morgan thinks it's all a storm in a teacup.

"I'm absolutely outraged that everyone's so absolutely outraged by @henrygayle being a bit cheeky to a female TV reporter. #BBL05"
Hate to disagree with such a scumbag but he's right.

It's such a nothing story. Man embarrasses himself on live TV, is laughed at for embarrassing himself in a cringeworthy manner, end of story. 

But no, it has to be dragged out apparently. 

If he'd said "I want to f*ck your brains out, fancy a nosh on this?" then maybe I could understand people being a bit angry but this reaction has been insane.

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Nerk Tue 05 Jan 2016, 21:32

A storm in a teacup, whipped up by the teacup's owner, who has played both sides of the subsequent outrage-wank-off for complete mugs, and why the hell wouldn't he?

Fred Nerk

Number of posts : 8811
Registration date : 2007-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post by OP Tipping Tue 05 Jan 2016, 21:51

All I will say is that I thought Mel handled it calmly and with aplomb.
OP Tipping
OP Tipping

Gayle asks Mel M out during post-innings interview - Page 3 Svlx7uN

Number of posts : 4680
Registration date : 2008-01-10
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Tue 05 Jan 2016, 22:32

Could you rephrase that - in the circumstances?
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Tue 05 Jan 2016, 22:42

Brass Monkey wrote:For me, it's getting a bit out of hand. Gayle was completely unprofessional in what he did - that's just like him. But to suggest that some professional journalist can't hack a creepy-type acting in a mildly lascivious manner... well, I'd call that sexist. How about we treat women as equals, rather that delicate little flowers? It was an awkward position, but interviewers of both sexes are put in awkward positions all the time.

I broadly agree with this. For "unprofessional", I'd substitute "juvenile" (and not a little dense): admittedly comes to the same thing, but the cause. Immature clottishness. (I like that word "clot" that someone mentioned earlier.)

And I wouldn't quite say "sexist" - since it seems to be Mel M's female colleagues (and some feminist men) who seem most indignant, and perhaps po-faced about the incident. But it is exactly right, I think, that to announce "compassion" and "solidarity" with an interviewer who surely should, in her job, be robust enough and well-trained enough to deal with such clottishness with little more than slight embarrassment and greater pity for the clot concerned - which it seems she did, perfectly capably - is stretching the issue a bit into a rocky hobbyhorse.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Tue 05 Jan 2016, 23:17

Chris Gayle hubris below:

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/chris-gayle-makes-light-of-10000-fine-on-instagram-20160105-glzyoh.html
Red
Red

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Wed 06 Jan 2016, 00:08

PeterCS wrote:
Brass Monkey wrote:For me, it's getting a bit out of hand. Gayle was completely unprofessional in what he did - that's just like him. But to suggest that some professional journalist can't hack a creepy-type acting in a mildly lascivious manner... well, I'd call that sexist. How about we treat women as equals, rather that delicate little flowers? It was an awkward position, but interviewers of both sexes are put in awkward positions all the time.

I broadly agree with this. For "unprofessional", I'd substitute "juvenile" (and not a little dense): admittedly comes to the same thing, but the cause. Immature clottishness. (I like that word "clot" that someone mentioned earlier.)

And I wouldn't quite say "sexist" - since it seems to be Mel M's female colleagues (and some feminist men) who seem most indignant, and perhaps po-faced about the incident. But it is exactly right, I think, that to announce "compassion" and "solidarity" with an interviewer who surely should, in her job, be robust enough and well-trained enough to deal with such clottishness with little more than slight embarrassment and greater pity for the clot concerned - which it seems she did, perfectly capably - is stretching the issue a bit into a rocky hobbyhorse.

Exactly - as OP Tipping and yourself have mentioned, she handled herself very well indeed. I'm going to hazard a guess that she's dealt with lecherous types before, albeit usually off air. Some of the media have acted like Gayle cockslapped her. I think it needs to be taken into context.

As an aside, if an Englishman wakes up for work and turns on ITV, they will see a most female-oriented programme rife with the sort of male-bashing, male-objectifying sexism that would 'shock the world' were it to be reversed. Whilst, generally, I'm completely ambivalent to this sort of dogshit programming, I'd posit that these would be the same sort of types who are taking the Gayle castigation to another level of hyperbolic demonisation. These sort of people don't actually want equality.

This is in no way absolving Gayle. Let's face it - Chris Gayle is a qunt. A completely classless twat. As far as I've always seen him, he's got absolutely f*ck all going for him as a human being. He's a f*cking FIGJAM gobshite prick. He's the sort of grinning, bollock-grabbing tosser who I simply won't miss in any way, shape or form when he retires. I just hope he can be kept out of the media and off my screen. Hopefully he'll just get people to buy tickets to 'party with him' and die of liver disease.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Wed 06 Jan 2016, 00:25

Brass M off the short run. Smile

BTW there is a lot of talk of the objectification of women in our media but they often overlook that women are the biggest culprits when it comes to objectifying females.

Something funny on radio early evening - one scribe managed to confuse castigate and castrate when talking about punitive action for Gayle.
Red
Red

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Wed 06 Jan 2016, 00:30

Gayle asks Mel M out during post-innings interview - Page 3 10612766_10153319124067083_8461810695088715813_n
embee
embee

Number of posts : 26208
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by OP Tipping Wed 06 Jan 2016, 00:31

Yeah, the reaction in the press might have been a bit OTT but I am not going to waste any tears on CG. To be honest I expect that being taken down a peg by Meg hurt him more than the 10k.
OP Tipping
OP Tipping

Number of posts : 4680
Registration date : 2008-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Wed 06 Jan 2016, 00:49

Red wrote:Brass M off the short run. Smile

BTW there is a lot of talk of the objectification of women in our media but they often overlook that women are the biggest culprits when it comes to objectifying females.

The irony.
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Wed 06 Jan 2016, 00:53

embee wrote:Gayle asks Mel M out during post-innings interview - Page 3 10612766_10153319124067083_8461810695088715813_n

The photo on the left is Balmoral Beach in Sydney, just near my place.

Alas, it's been years since I was that "hunky".

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Wed 06 Jan 2016, 00:58

He loses points for the tatts and too much facial hair!

Last edited by Red on Wed 06 Jan 2016, 00:58; edited 1 time in total
Red
Red

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Wed 06 Jan 2016, 00:58

Meanwhile, more Gayle stories are coming out of the woodwork:

West Indies cricketer Chris Gayle has been labelled a creep, fined by his franchise and condemned for inappropriate comments towards a female reporter during a Big Bash League match.

The cricketer woke to a storm of criticism after an interview with Ten Network reporter Mel McLaughlin on Tuesday night, during which the West Indian propositioned her.

Gayle was interviewed on the boundary line by McLaughlin after being dismissed. “I wanted to come and have an interview with you as well,” he told her. “That’s the reason why I’m here, just to see your eyes for the first time. Hopefully we can win this game and we can have a drink later. Don’t blush, baby.”

Nine News reporter Yvonne Sampson said last night she had also been asked out by Gayle when he saw her doing an interview during a game. “I had a notification via Twitter that Chris Gayle would like to take me out to dinner,” she said. “I’d never met him. I think Chris Gayle is a known womaniser, and that’s a really awful word, but that’s what he is. I don’t think he is typical … Most of the people I come into contact with are very respectful.”

Other journalists reported similar encounters. “He does this constantly, he’s a creep, he has creepy behaviour,” Fox Sports’ Neroli Meadows said on the ABC.

Last night, Fairfax Media reported a Sydney woman alleged Gayle exposed himself to her last February when the West Indies were here for the World Cup. Gayle’s management reportedly declined to comment on the allegation. Fairfax Media dumped Gayle as a columnist last night.

Renegades chief executive Stuart Coventry said Gayle would pay a $10,000 fine to the McGrath Foundation.

“We didn’t think the situation would require a ban. We looked at the circumstances and we saw it as a one-off scenario,” he said.

Gayle’s apology also seemed to miss the mark. “There wasn’t anything meant to be disrespectful or offensive to Mel. If she felt that way, I’m really sorry for that. There wasn’t any harm meant in that particular way … It’s just one of those things. Crap happens.”

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by Lara Lara Laughs Wed 06 Jan 2016, 00:59

I totally agree it was completely inappropriate. The linkedin story posted was too. Just didn't think it was relevant to Cosby.
Lara Lara Laughs
Lara Lara Laughs

Number of posts : 8943
Registration date : 2007-09-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Wed 06 Jan 2016, 01:00

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/cricket/chris-gayle-exposed-himself-to-me-woman-20160105-glzrkp.html

Another one.
Red
Red

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 06 Jan 2016, 02:46

I see the media have their target for their flavour of the month witch hunt. F*cking state of the press that this gets so much coverage.

Back to top Go down

Post by Chivalry Augustus Wed 06 Jan 2016, 04:20

There's a fine line between being bold and being creepy, it seems, and it's based on some arbitrary feeling mustered up by the inferior sex. I don't see that Gayle did a great deal wrong, other than offend the liberals have over-run the world and made interactions between the two sexes increasingly more confused and convoluted. We're getting to a point where consent is going to require written proof, and where formerly normal behaviour, such as asking a female out, is considered inappropriate simply because.

I'm not saying Gayle was necessarily exercising sound judgement, but his major fault seems to have been his own misjudgement. I don't think it merits any kind of reaction, nor punishment, but I guess the world is full of people who feel differently to myself. And that, I suppose, is why many men are growing up and turning to the dark sides of inter-sexual relations, whereby they're becoming deeply misogynistic and disdainful of women beyond their sexuality. If you can't interact with a woman on this basis, and be politely (or impolitely) rejected, how else do you proceed?
Chivalry Augustus
Chivalry Augustus

Number of posts : 4864
Registration date : 2007-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 06 Jan 2016, 04:48

I blame Gayle for all them rapes in Germany. Disgusting man.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next