Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aus Federal Politics thread (XII)

+12
Paul Keating
Fred Nerk
lardbucket
taipan
skully
Big Dog
Blackadder
Ethics? The Gall!
JGK
embee
Bradman
horace
16 posters

Page 39 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40  Next

Go down

Aus Federal Politics thread (XII) - Page 39 Empty Re: Aus Federal Politics thread (XII)

Post by skully Thu 07 Sep 2017, 06:52

High Court has just OKed the same-sex marriage postal vote.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105981
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Aus Federal Politics thread (XII) - Page 39 Empty Re: Aus Federal Politics thread (XII)

Post by JGK Thu 07 Sep 2017, 07:07

I think you'll find it is a survey, not a vote!

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Thu 07 Sep 2017, 07:20

a non binding survey....this is a test run for those right wing nuts who want to replace compulsory voting.
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Thu 07 Sep 2017, 07:34

horace wrote:a non binding survey....this is a test run for those right wing nuts who want to replace compulsory voting.

So a vote on whether to vote?
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Thu 07 Sep 2017, 12:19

PMSL @ "Yes" crowd (including that no-talent blowhard Andrew Wilkie), with the High Court awarding costs for both sides against them. Why are they so strident, why are they so worried?

I'll be voting yes but the bullying and blustering of the "yes" side is appalling.

Last edited by skully on Thu 07 Sep 2017, 12:22; edited 1 time in total
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Thu 07 Sep 2017, 12:21

And Shortarse has confirmed his arrogance by stating that even if the postal vote comes back "No", he will change the laws to allow gay marriage within the 1st 100 days of his new Govt.

Way to listen to the voters, you dickhead.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Thu 07 Sep 2017, 12:32

skully wrote:And Shortarse has confirmed his arrogance by stating that even if the postal vote comes back "No", he will change the laws to allow gay marriage within the 1st 100 days of his new Govt.

Way to listen to the voters, you dickhead.

To be fair, it would only happen if he was voted in taking that policy to an actual election.

JGK

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Thu 07 Sep 2017, 15:13

taipan wrote:
horace wrote:a non binding survey....this is a test run for those right wing nuts who want to replace compulsory voting.

So a vote on whether to vote?

Hehe. Not even that Taips. The current govt is hopelessly divided on the issue and this is stalling tactics. A very expensive one. Those in the govt opposed to ssm will do anything to avoid a vote in Parliament because they have not got the numbers. The tories opposed are godbotherers. The campaign is nasty and ridiculous.

I am pissed off there is no option to ban marriage between anyone. I am nothing if not fair.Why should the State or some mosque or christian outfit approval be required to sanction two people wanting to bonk and hang out on a semi permanent basis? The whole notion is archaic.
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Mon 11 Sep 2017, 03:14

I watched an interesting Nat Geo doco of Foxy last night called Mankind from Space.

It predicted that by 2050 the world population will be 9 Billion. To cope, we need to engineer crops that have 4 times the yield, make water usage systems that reduce demand by 90%, and produce heaps and heaps more power.

It predicted that there will be another 1,800 coal-fired power stations built by then to cope with the necessary base power load (when solar, wind and other renewables can't produce).

And here Aus is vowing to never build another coal fired power station because of the environmental effects.

FMD, we'll be paying 100 times more for power than the rest of the world and making absolutely sweet fark all difference to the world environment. What a farkin joke.

Oh well, at least we'll have a good income source with our huge coal resources. Rolling Eyes

skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Mon 11 Sep 2017, 03:39

I am still irritated by China's absurd watering down of its one child policy. That policy gave hope to the future.

Suspect the crazies running governments around the world will make a dent on population projections.
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Mon 11 Sep 2017, 04:15

Indeed h. China and India's productive rooting is ruining the world.

More people means more demand for power, agriculture and transport, which massively pumps up the CO2 emissions.

And here's pissant little Aus faffing about on critical issues like same-sex marriage and burka bans when the real issue confronting the nation is a looming energy shortage.

Blackout Bill has the answer - 50% renewable energy (you know, the stuff that doesn't produce at night when we use a shitload of our energy) by 2030. PMSL.

I repeat, what a farkin joke.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Mon 11 Sep 2017, 04:21

On the subject of renewables, I priced solar panels recently. It's only around $5K (based on current bills it would take me10 years to pay that back if I drew zero power from the grid) to put panels on that could theoretically produce the same power that I currently use. Except they don't produce at night, and during the day, when I'm producing an excess (i.e. the night time demand) I only get $0.05 per kWhr in return for that excess going into the grid.

So I checked out solar storage batteries. Tesla's (big enough to store my normal night time demand) would cost me $20K and the other brands were much cheaper.

So, given I will almost certainly downsize within 10 years, there is zero incentive for me to put solar panels on my roof. The world is farked.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Mon 11 Sep 2017, 04:24

skully wrote:On the subject of renewables, I priced solar panels recently. It's only around $5K (based on current bills it would take me10 years to pay that back if I drew zero power from the grid) to put panels on that could theoretically produce the same power that I currently use. Except they don't produce at night, and during the day, when I'm producing an excess (i.e. the night time demand) I only get $0.05 per kWhr in return for that excess going into the grid.

So I checked out solar storage batteries. Tesla's would cost me $20K and the other brands were much cheaper.

So there is almost zero incentive for me to put solar panels on my roof. The world is farked.

Except that it is like an enhancement to your property (like an extra room which you could rent out). The income might be low versus the cost but your property will have an increased value.

We're about to renovate and are likely to put in solar plus batteries as well.

Also, I don't think those Tesla numbers look right.

JGK

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Mon 11 Sep 2017, 04:25

I checked out Tesla at shopping centre stand last weekend. His estimate was $19 to $22K. I gagged.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Mon 11 Sep 2017, 04:38

skully wrote:I checked out Tesla at shopping centre stand last weekend. His estimate was $19 to $22K. I gagged.

Does that include the solar panels? Still sounds high.

On a separate matter, is Phillip Ruddock now your Lord Mayor?

JGK

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Mon 11 Sep 2017, 05:01

As I said, I gagged. I went to a display village 12 months ago and I thought they quoted $8-$10K for a battery. Maybe this dude had low blood sugar or sumpent!!

Yeah, old ageless Phil (the silly old qunt is 74) is the new Mayor of Hornsby Council.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Mon 11 Sep 2017, 07:51

skully wrote:As I said, I gagged. I went to a display village 12 months ago and I thought they quoted $8-$10K for a battery. Maybe this dude had low blood sugar or sumpent!!

Yeah, old ageless Phil (the silly old qunt is 74) is the new Mayor of Hornsby Council.

Well that should stop any more darkie moving into the area. Does he have a little tinnie patrolling the Hawkesbury?

JGK

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Mon 11 Sep 2017, 09:10

"He doesn't like darkies."

"Who does?!"
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Tue 12 Sep 2017, 05:19

You get that much differing opinion from economists on the whole coal v renewables, and who or what is to blame for the current "crisis" that a layman is easily prone to crap from both sides.

I think it's a shame we spent/spend so much on subsidies and should have looked long term at that money going into research to make into batteries and efficiency research.

Why there's not a wind and solar farm on the tabeland behind cairns is beyond me (aesthetics I spose) . It's either blazing sunshine or windy as fark.
Bradman
Bradman

Number of posts : 17402
Registration date : 2008-08-13
Flag/Background : war

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Tue 12 Sep 2017, 09:03

There's a fair bit of wind farming up at Ravenshoe, or at least there was when I was still living up there.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
116 - 9 - 400 - 4

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38123
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Wed 20 Sep 2017, 23:10

LOL @ ABS

"This month, Australians are receiving ballots in the mail to vote on whether same-sex couples should be allowed to marry. But one eagle-eye constituent noticed an unfortunate coincidence—the barcode on his envelope includes the letters “BUMSEX.” "

Aus Federal Politics thread (XII) - Page 39 Bumsex-1505911780-1505911782.jpg?quality=0
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Thu 21 Sep 2017, 04:20

Anyone not got theirs? I note it describes itself as a survey.
Bradman
Bradman

Number of posts : 17402
Registration date : 2008-08-13
Flag/Background : war

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Thu 21 Sep 2017, 04:44

My daughter and I have received, completed and returned ours.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Thu 21 Sep 2017, 04:46

skully wrote:I checked out Tesla at shopping centre stand last weekend. His estimate was $19 to $22K. I gagged.

Got some quotes (not Tesla). Based on my current usage, the price for solar + battery came in at $15,000.

I can't justify that given I will probably move within 7 years (even with the "it adds value" argument). Maybe I'll add it to my next (downsized) place.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Thu 21 Sep 2017, 05:18

skully wrote:

Got some quotes (not Tesla). Based on my current usage, the price for solar + battery came in at $15,000.

I can't justify that given I will probably move within 7 years (even with the "it adds value" argument). Maybe I'll add it to my next (downsized) place.

Get less capacity then. You would still be "off grid" in an emergency when you only need the essentials.

JGK

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 39 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40  Next