Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England v Australia, 5th Test, The Oval, 27-31 July, 2023

+11
WideWally
furriner
Red
Lost Wombat
embee
horace
Nath
skully
Fred Nerk
lardbucket
beamer
15 posters

Page 10 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Go down

England v Australia, 5th Test, The Oval, 27-31 July, 2023 - Page 10 Empty Re: England v Australia, 5th Test, The Oval, 27-31 July, 2023

Post by PeterCS Wed 02 Aug 2023, 11:18

On Jim - I don't think he should necessarily be jettisoned altogether yet.

Five Tests in 6 weeks was punishing for them all - yes, I know he only played 4, one or two too many I suggested - and he bowled on generally unresponsive pitches without luck: catches dropped, edges found. And was pretty economical even so.

I am not saying he should go on for ever, and clearly he's not going to get fresher.

But England have a massive 17 Tests lined up next calendar year - WI (3) and SL (3) at home, India (5), Pak (3) & NZ (3) away. Depending on whether Wood, Robbo, Stone, Archer (he won't be back at all, will he?), Saqib (ditto??), maybe Woakes keep fit, or the new-blood supply line goes much beyond Tongue (Gus Atkinson? Sam Cook??), he might have some sort of lead-out role to play yet.

NZ, a favourite opponent of his, might be a good swansong.

But the problem is, none of the above 17 Tests begin for another 5 months, and first up is India away, not the most obvious hunting ground for the Burnley Non-Express. Anno domini is not Jim's friend.

And no, to be clear about this too, I am not suggesting they carry Jimmy as a passenger, out of charity, or to guv hum a chaince of a few further wickets at England's expense.

It's just the thought, there may well be a few sparks of life in the old dog yet.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

England v Australia, 5th Test, The Oval, 27-31 July, 2023 - Page 10 Empty Re: England v Australia, 5th Test, The Oval, 27-31 July, 2023

Post by beamer Thu 03 Aug 2023, 00:40

17 Tests in 2024, but from an alternative perspective 5 in the next 11 months, then six against (certainly on English soil) minnows. Feels like a window for a reboot, though not necessarily drawing a line under any individuals, but certainly reducing the average age of the side (which, calculated on the back of a cigarette packet, is currently somewhere around 32).

I thought the moment of reckoning was going to be 18 months or so ago, then the new regime gave a new lease of life to a few… but it could only be a short term thing. We also seem to have sacrificed the WTC with our approach to over rates (somewhat farcical, as a team playing 5 spinners would walk into the next final?) so one less reason for short-termism.

beamer

Number of posts : 15399
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Thu 03 Aug 2023, 09:21

beamer wrote:17 Tests in 2024, but from an alternative perspective 5 in the next 11 months, then six against (certainly on English soil) minnows. Feels like a window for a reboot, though not necessarily drawing a line under any individuals, but certainly reducing the average age of the side (which, calculated on the back of a cigarette packet, is currently somewhere around 32).

I thought the moment of reckoning was going to be 18 months or so ago, then the new regime gave a new lease of life to a few… but it could only be a short term thing. We also seem to have sacrificed the WTC with our approach to over rates (somewhat farcical, as a team playing 5 spinners would walk into the next final?) so one less reason for short-termism.

Only if they won a few games ... pure avoidance of penalties won't get a team anywhere

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
116 - 9 - 400 - 4

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38084
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Nath Thu 03 Aug 2023, 09:34

PeterCS wrote:
But the problem is,  none of the above 17 Tests begin for another 5 months, and first up is India away, not the most obvious hunting ground for the Burnley Non-Express. Anno domini is not Jim's friend.

will Leach be fit by then? who is their next spinner(s) in line?
Nath
Nath

Number of posts : 11964
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Thu 03 Aug 2023, 10:25

Nath wrote:
PeterCS wrote:
But the problem is,  none of the above 17 Tests begin for another 5 months, and first up is India away, not the most obvious hunting ground for the Burnley Non-Express. Anno domini is not Jim's friend.

will Leach be fit by then?  who is their next spinner(s) in line?
I guess we’ll take Rehan to the subcontinent… Jacks-of-all-trades might be in the mix as a side-balancing option. Still think Dawson would be a bit of a desperation pick, and Parky seems to have Kerriganed himself off the radar.

Alternatively, Stokes and Root could be spearheading our spin attack before long!

beamer

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Thu 03 Aug 2023, 13:04

It'll be Dawson, and you know it.

The Shaun Udal pick of 2023.

116 - 9 - 400 - 4

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Thu 03 Aug 2023, 13:22

I did think about the Udal selection back in the day actually, in that context… can’t quite recall the circumstances of him being picked other than that he was a veteran “last resort”.

Guess we’ll take three spinners anyway, plus part-timers.

beamer

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Fri 04 Aug 2023, 06:34

Should be an interesting series.
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by Nath Sat 05 Aug 2023, 01:50

beamer wrote:
Nath wrote:
PeterCS wrote:

will Leach be fit by then?  who is their next spinner(s) in line?
I guess we’ll take Rehan to the subcontinent… Jacks-of-all-trades might be in the mix as a side-balancing option. Still think Dawson would be a bit of a desperation pick, and Parky seems to have Kerriganed himself off the radar.

Alternatively, Stokes and Root could be spearheading our spin attack before long!

what's Tuffers doing these days?
Nath
Nath

Number of posts : 11964
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by vilky Sat 12 Aug 2023, 10:26

It's been a while but felt the urge to drop in after such a fantastic series. Probably my favourite series since 2005, certainly in terms of drama and excitement. My take on key moments from the series:

STOKES' DECLARATION

Hubristic showboating. If we had been playing Bangladesh then maybe appropriate, but not on the first day of an Ashes series. Probably cost us victory as Root was still going strong and Robinson seemed capable of supporting him.

BAIRSTOW STUMPING

My overriding feeling was "you idiot, Bairstow" (a theme for most of the series) rather than any animosity towards Australia. Probably not the most sporting way to get someone out in a tightish run chase but if we had done the same to Smith I would not have cared so no complaints.

LYON INJURY

Probably cost Australia a series win. Murphy did pretty well but Lyon is a class above.

THE MANCHESTER RAIN

Look, after going 2-0 down in England, the Ashes were essentially gone. There have only ever been two series in England with no draws since the Ashes moved to 5 (or more) tests per series so weather was going to play a part at some point. I will take a dominant draw, it was fun watching us pummel the Aussie attack. Also quite amusing to see Bairstow standed on 99. Credit to Labuschagne too, his knock was possibly the difference between a draw and an innings victory for England.

MORE ON BAIRSTOW...

I think we would have won the first two tests with Foakes behind the stumps and therefore probably the series. Bairstow did well at the Oval but by that point the Ashes were gone. Foakes seems out of favour with the England dressing room for whatever reason so it seems we are stuck with YJB for the time being. Probably my least favourite player of any side this series.

BROAD

My favourite player over the past decade or so and I am absolutely delighted that he got a fairytale send off. Hitting your last shot with a bat for six and taking a wicket with your final ball bowled to tie an Ashes series and prevent Australia from winning a series in England for the first time since 2001 is a fitting way for an Ashes legend to bow out. Enjoyed the bails swapping mind games as well. His bowling on the final day looked unplayable at times and he did not look like the one who should be retiring...

OVERALL

If England had managed to set up a decider at the Oval then whatever the result I would have ranked this above 2005. England coming back to win 3-2 from 0-2 would have been historic but Australia rallying to win the final test and win a first series in England since 2001 would also have been a once in a lifetime finale. It is a shame that the Manchester rain robbed us of such a finish but maybe 2-2 is a more fitting final result.

Four matches could have gone either way, something I don't think I can ever recall happening previously in an Ashes series. Ultimately both sets of fans have something to cheer about, Australia retain the urn and England have extended their unbeaten run at home against Australia. I would be feeling bereft if England had failed to regain the Ashes after going 2-0 up, but to preserve that unbeaten record from 2-0 down is pretty special. I imagine from an Aussie perspective that 2-2 from 2-0 is a bit disappointing but going home with the urn is always the number one priority and it was mission accomplished on that front even if it could have been much more.

Warner leaves these shores having never scored a century in England and unlikely to ever be part of an Ashes winning touring side. I feel that Smith might get one more shot. Marnus probably has a couple more tours.

vilky

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2023-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Sat 12 Aug 2023, 11:20

Good to see you back. Nice analysis.

116 - 9 - 400 - 4

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Sat 12 Aug 2023, 14:51

Good review, vilks.

I agree 100% with you on Foakes v Bairstow.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105920
Registration date : 2007-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Nerk Sun 13 Aug 2023, 00:42

Yes agree with most of that - except if Stokes had pulled the declaration v Bangles it would have been hubristic show-pony BULLYING. Especially if it had worked.
England were unlucky at OT but as previously mentioned, if plan A needs five consecutive fine days in Manchester you don't neglect drilling Plan F.

Fred Nerk

Number of posts : 8809
Registration date : 2007-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10