Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who are the 5 greatest songwriters of all-time?

+33
Eric Air Emu
furriner
JKLever
Brass Monkey
Don't quote me
Steve
freddled gruntbuggly
tac
Gary 111
embee
Growler
Hass
doremi
ten years after
skully
Yorkie Jill
Merlin
horace
taipan
Paul Keating
Geoffrey Trueman
peterg
DJ_Smerk
JGK
Winkle Spinner
Sasha
leg glancer
PearlJ
PeterCS
WideWally
eowyn
lardbucket
Lara Lara Laughs
37 posters

Page 1 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Who are the 5 greatest songwriters of all-time? Empty Who are the 5 greatest songwriters of all-time?

Post by Lara Lara Laughs Thu 21 Aug 2008, 17:55

In your opinion?
Lara Lara Laughs
Lara Lara Laughs

Number of posts : 8943
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Who are the 5 greatest songwriters of all-time? Empty Re: Who are the 5 greatest songwriters of all-time?

Post by lardbucket Thu 21 Aug 2008, 17:56

Why don't you just post your 5 so everyone can disagree with you?

Very Happy

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38127
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Who are the 5 greatest songwriters of all-time? Empty Re: Who are the 5 greatest songwriters of all-time?

Post by eowyn Thu 21 Aug 2008, 17:58

*Snigger* at Lardy.
eowyn
eowyn

Number of posts : 11132
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : yrk

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Thu 21 Aug 2008, 18:01

Muddy Waters, Robert Johnson, Bob Dylan, Jon Fogerty, and Neil Young.

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 21 Aug 2008, 18:04

Well, i dont generally listen to many solo artists so i wont list any. But bands:

1. Dream Theater - John Petrucci, Jordan Rudess/Kevin Moore/Derek Sherinian, Mike Portnoy
2. Iron Maiden - Steve Harris, Adrian Smith, Janick Gers, David Murray
3. Rage Against the Machine - Zack de la Rocha, Tom Morello, Tim Commerford, Brad Wilk
4. Slayer - Tom Araya, Kerry King, Dave Lombardo
5. All the other metal bands I like

Back to top Go down

Post by WideWally Thu 21 Aug 2008, 18:08

Shel Silverstein was probably the greatest.
Very Happy
WideWally
WideWally

Number of posts : 9702
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Thu 21 Aug 2008, 18:27

Cole Porter (in any book), Harry Champion, Schubert, Arthur Phelps, Fulton Allen, Jerome Kern, Ann Ronell, Bob Dylan, Joni Mitchell and Ray Davies might all come close to the medals. And Brahms. And Haruomi Hosono. And Arnaldo Antunes. Or even Carlinhos Brown. Who can forget Tom Jobim?

But I go by songs, not writers, to be honest. Some of Steve Mariott's songs are very atmospheric, not all.

And what sort of songs do you like? And in what moods?

And what if you have a great lyric and weak tune, or vice versa?

How long are five pieces of string?
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by PearlJ Thu 21 Aug 2008, 19:07

Clamson wrote:Well, i dont generally listen to many solo artists so i wont list any. But bands:

1. Dream Theater - John Petrucci, Jordan Rudess/Kevin Moore/Derek Sherinian, Mike Portnoy
3. Rage Against the Machine - Zack de la Rocha, Tom Morello, Tim Commerford, Brad Wilk

Bang on.

I will add Vedder and Gossard as well. Ten is as close to perfection as music gets.

Frank Black as well. Actually I think he is the best ever.
PearlJ
PearlJ

Who are the 5 greatest songwriters of all-time? ZY4L4DZ

Number of posts : 3599
Registration date : 2007-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post by leg glancer Thu 21 Aug 2008, 22:37

I love RATM but I'm not too sure about their stamina for good song writing over a long period. The first album was genius, but after that I think they just kept repeating themselves.

Sting has always struck me as being a truly great song writer. All the members from The Police are great song writers in their own right which is probably why they hated eachother to pieces (Andy Summers being especially good -- his solo material is vastly underrated).

Jon Crosby from VAST is pretty amazing, can't believe he was only 18 when he wrote his first album.

The Rolling Stones, even though I'm not really a fan. Their songs do have a lot of longevity.

Oh, and The Cure. Again, not a die-hard fan but I love the range of song styles -- From poppy and catchy to morbid and deadly serious.
leg glancer
leg glancer

Number of posts : 800
Registration date : 2007-11-19
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Thu 21 Aug 2008, 22:40

oh, and I've changed my mind completely.

Leonard Cohen, Otis Redding, Mavin Gaye, Frank Zappa, and John Lennon.

I may change my mind completely again in a few hours.

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Sasha Thu 21 Aug 2008, 22:44

Jim Steinman.

Will get back to you on any others I think of.
Sasha
Sasha

Number of posts : 186

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Thu 21 Aug 2008, 22:46

[Dem]Stock, Waterman, Aitken, Madonna, and Minogue[/Dem]

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by PearlJ Thu 21 Aug 2008, 23:14

leg glancer wrote:I love RATM but I'm not too sure about their stamina for good song writing over a long period. The first album was genius, but after that I think they just kept repeating themselves.

Sting has always struck me as being a truly great song writer. All the members from The Police are great song writers in their own right which is probably why they hated eachother to pieces (Andy Summers being especially good -- his solo material is vastly underrated).

Jon Crosby from VAST is pretty amazing, can't believe he was only 18 when he wrote his first album.

The Rolling Stones, even though I'm not really a fan. Their songs do have a lot of longevity.

Oh, and The Cure. Again, not a die-hard fan but I love the range of song styles -- From poppy and catchy to morbid and deadly serious.

I stopped reading here.
PearlJ
PearlJ

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Thu 21 Aug 2008, 23:16

Magic, tragic.

The Russians love their children too.

Hmmmm.

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Fri 22 Aug 2008, 00:13

Björn Volvous, Agnetha Falstart, Frida Longstokin, Benny Anderwear and perhaps Rolf Harris.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by Winkle Spinner Fri 22 Aug 2008, 00:47

Duke Ellington and Charles Mingus.

I've also been getting into RX Bandits recently. Their songwriting is the epitome of skillful sophistication and flair, especially off their latest album. Never quite heard a band like them. Criminally underrated. As a brass geek, I love the way they voice their brass lines, with the trombone taking the lead and the sax on harmonies - could sound needlessly contrived, but it's really effective.

Winkle Spinner
Winkle Spinner

Number of posts : 953
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Fri 22 Aug 2008, 01:49

PearlJ wrote:
leg glancer wrote:I love RATM but I'm not too sure about their stamina for good song writing over a long period. The first album was genius, but after that I think they just kept repeating themselves.

I stopped reading here.

Philistine.

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ_Smerk Fri 22 Aug 2008, 01:52

PeterCS wrote:Björn Volvous, Agnetha Falstart, Frida Longstokin, Benny Anderwear and perhaps Rolf Harris.

Abba and Rolf? That would be an interesting tour pair. Although Abba would need to do alot to show up RH.
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Number of posts : 15938
Registration date : 2007-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post by PearlJ Fri 22 Aug 2008, 01:54

JGK wrote:
PearlJ wrote:

I stopped reading here.

Philistine.

OK, I'll admit it. I did once sing 'Roxanne' when I was drunk.

I look back on this moment with shame though.
PearlJ
PearlJ

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ_Smerk Fri 22 Aug 2008, 01:56

My Personal Favourites

1. Slipknot: Corey Taylor
2. Alexisonfire and City and Colour: Dallas Green
3. Flight of the Conchords: Brett and Jermaine
4. Gregory and the Hawk: Meredith Godreau
5. Regina Spektor
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ_Smerk Fri 22 Aug 2008, 01:57

My Personal Favourites

1. Slipknot and Stone Sour: Corey Taylor
2. Alexisonfire and City and Colour: Dallas Green
3. Flight of the Conchords: Brett and Jermaine
4. Gregory and the Hawk: Meredith Godreau
5. Regina Spektor

Last edited by DJ_Smerk on Fri 22 Aug 2008, 02:00; edited 1 time in total
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ_Smerk Fri 22 Aug 2008, 01:58

Clamson wrote:Well, i dont generally listen to many solo artists so i wont list any. But bands:

Epic. Bulls on Parade and Wakeup are Awesome. Their quality Live from what I've seen.
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ_Smerk Fri 22 Aug 2008, 01:58

DJ_Smerk wrote:

Epic. Bulls on Parade and Wakeup are Awesome. Their quality Live from what I've seen.
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Back to top Go down

Post by PearlJ Fri 22 Aug 2008, 02:01

Welsh in spaz attack shock.
PearlJ
PearlJ

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ_Smerk Fri 22 Aug 2008, 02:02

Oop's I kept pressing quote rather than edit. Funk it.
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next