Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oh yeah, great news I don't think!

+10
Gary 111
Henry
S F Barnes
Shoeshine
Invader Zim
Merlin
Brass Monkey
LeFromage
doremi
JKLever
14 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Oh yeah, great news I don't think! - Page 2 Empty Re: Oh yeah, great news I don't think!

Post by Merlin Tue 02 Oct 2007, 13:28

Batfink Begins wrote:Merlin, fair do's. I don't think that damning him with the faint praise of David Graveney will do much good for your argument with me. I loathe the bloke above all else, think he's a p!ss-poor yes-man selector and generally a little weasel of a bloke who I feel only has a negative impact on the whole of English cricket.

Agreed.
Begs the Gravy questions :
How the fark has he survived for 11 long years?
Can someone expain his fixed smile and perma-tan?

Merlin

Number of posts : 14718
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : afg

Back to top Go down

Oh yeah, great news I don't think! - Page 2 Empty Re: Oh yeah, great news I don't think!

Post by holcs Tue 02 Oct 2007, 13:30

Merlin wrote:
Batfink Begins wrote:Merlin, fair do's. I don't think that damning him with the faint praise of David Graveney will do much good for your argument with me. I loathe the bloke above all else, think he's a p!ss-poor yes-man selector and generally a little weasel of a bloke who I feel only has a negative impact on the whole of English cricket.

Agreed.

I've told you...

formaldehyde
holcs
holcs

Number of posts : 5481
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Tue 02 Oct 2007, 13:31

Merlin wrote:Agreed.

As many a captain has said: Athers, Nasser, Vaughan - he's a slimy little battyman. No other reason needed. His fixed smile is hiding his permanent disappoinment that he's dishonoured the name 'Graveney' and his permatan hides his alcoholism, which masks the pain of never even closely living up to pops.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Tue 02 Oct 2007, 13:35

Batfink Begins wrote:
Merlin wrote:Agreed.

As many a captain has said: Athers, Nasser, Vaughan - he's a slimy little battyman. No other reason needed. His fixed smile is hiding his permanent disappoinment that he's dishonoured the name 'Graveney' and his permatan hides his alcoholism, which masks the pain of never even closely living up to pops uncle.

Aye, the rotten pi** head..... hic!

Merlin

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Tue 02 Oct 2007, 13:38

holcs wrote:
Merlin wrote:

Agreed.

I've told you...

formaldehyde

ah ... form is temporary, formaldehyde is permanent?

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38112
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Tue 02 Oct 2007, 13:42

taipan wrote:
Henry wrote:He's been Englands chairman of selectors for almost 11 years. It's almost like a dictatorship.

Well he built the team that won the Ashes.

well ................ he appointed Duncan Fletcher, I'll give you that!

Merlin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary 111 Tue 02 Oct 2007, 13:46

lardbucket wrote:
holcs wrote:
Merlin wrote:

Agreed.

I've told you...

formaldehyde

ah ... form is temporary, formaldehyde is permanent?

Very Happy
Gary 111
Gary 111

Number of posts : 5717

http://www.flamingbails.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Tue 02 Oct 2007, 13:54

To be fair to Graveney, the likes of Nass and Athers have said he cares about English cricket. It's just that he's such a yes man who's legs will turn to jelly when the likes of Ian Botham tell him who shuld be in the England team.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891
Registration date : 2007-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Tue 02 Oct 2007, 13:56

His employers have been more than fair to him. I'm not sure why we have to be. I've told him as much in many an e-mail.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Shoeshine Tue 02 Oct 2007, 13:58

Henry wrote:To be fair to Graveney, the likes of Nass and Athers have said he cares about English cricket. It's just that he's such a yes man who's legs will turn to jelly when the likes of Ian Botham tell him who shuld be in the England team.

You would hope that caring about English cricket would be the absolute bare minimum requirement. That he does is a given, surely.

Shoeshine

Oh yeah, great news I don't think! - Page 2 Svlx7uN

Number of posts : 4512
Registration date : 2007-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Tue 02 Oct 2007, 13:59

All care but no responsibility. Sounds familiar.

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38112
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Tue 02 Oct 2007, 14:11

Alec Stewart for Chairman of selectors, with Goughy and Thorpe as his deputies.

You know it makes sense.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Tue 02 Oct 2007, 14:11

Henry wrote:To be fair to Graveney, the likes of Nass and Athers have said he cares about English cricket.

So does Mick Jagger. Lets rope him in.
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Tue 02 Oct 2007, 14:16

lardbucket wrote:All care but no responsibility. Sounds familiar.

Yep.

Henry wrote:Alec Stewart for Chairman of selectors, with Goughy and Thorpe as his deputies.

You know it makes sense.

Yep.

taipan wrote:

So does Mick Jagger. Lets rope him in.

Yep.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Tue 02 Oct 2007, 14:20

It's well known that Gatting doesnt like slightly rebellious players who dont agree with everything he says- Cue rifts with Pietersen, Shah(Whom, Gatting frequently clashed with at Middlesex because Owais wanted to do things his way rather than the Gatting way) and Flintoff.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by Shoeshine Tue 02 Oct 2007, 14:27

Hmm. I do recall Gatting commenting on the radio about how misguided Pietersen was to go after Brett Lee on that final day at the Oval in 2005. Even at the time I remember thinking that given England's position it was worth a go.

Shoeshine

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Tue 02 Oct 2007, 14:32

In 2002 he criticised Nasser for wanting to be present for the birth of his second child, because it meant his preparation (He was never going to miss the match) for a Test match might have been disrupted. The guy's a bitter old fool.

Shoeshine, did Gatting really criticise KP for attacking Lee at the Oval? If I remember correctly, Gatting performed a similar counter attack at Sydney in 1986. He just doesnt like people much.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary 111 Tue 02 Oct 2007, 14:39

He's also dined out on that Ashes victory for a long time - its meant he is remembered by some as a 'great' England captain. Those 2 Tests he won down under were the only two in his entire spell as captain - that's 23 matches!
Gary 111
Gary 111

Back to top Go down

Post by Shoeshine Tue 02 Oct 2007, 14:43

Henry wrote:In 2002 he criticised Nasser for wanting to be present for the birth of his second child, because it meant his preparation (He was never going to miss the match) for a Test match might have been disrupted. The guy's a bitter old fool.

Shoeshine, did Gatting really criticise KP for attacking Lee at the Oval? If I remember correctly, Gatting performed a similar counter attack at Sydney in 1986. He just doesnt like people much.

Yes, he did. i was so nervous that day I was alternating between ball by ball coverage, the TV and Radio 5 Live at the test. He thought KP was being reckless. Now, of course history could have turned out differently, and him proved right, it's easy with hindsight, but his comments were markedly different to the other commentators who were loving it, but rightly calling it brave but risky.

Shoeshine

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Tue 02 Oct 2007, 14:48

What kind of role is Gatting meant to be performing within the England setup, anyway?
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Tue 02 Oct 2007, 14:50

According to the BBC ticker, Gatting has been given the title -

'MD of cricket partnerships'

Whilst Hugh Morris is titled -

'MD of England cricket'

Fook knows!
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary 111 Tue 02 Oct 2007, 14:50

Henry wrote:What kind of role is Gatting meant to be performing within the England setup, anyway?

Swiss?
Gary 111
Gary 111

Back to top Go down

Post by Shoeshine Tue 02 Oct 2007, 14:51

JKLever wrote:According to the BBC ticker, Gatting has been given the title -

'MD of cricket partnerships'

So when he calls for a single, who's the poor bugger getting run out at the non-striker's end?

Shoeshine

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Tue 02 Oct 2007, 14:51

MD of cricket partnerships? That could mean so many things......
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Tue 02 Oct 2007, 14:58

Gary 111 wrote:
Swiss?

Considering he's a cold little fat sh!t, Arctic would probably be more apt.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next