Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Earliest memory of a world event you can remember?

+23
spangler
mynah
PearlJ
bliksem
filosofee
Hass
WideWally
Brass Monkey
S F Barnes
Merlin
tac
Basil
taipan
doremi
JGK
The One
embee
Henry
furriner
HH_pink
LeFromage
Geoffrey Trueman
JKLever
27 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Earliest memory of a world event you can remember? - Page 4 Empty Re: Earliest memory of a world event you can remember?

Post by tac Thu 04 Oct 2007, 00:36

JKLever wrote:
Dello wrote:LLL's a teeny, isn't he? 19 or something.

Aye, though as a student he's unlikely to actually remember yesterday

Can't even remember which gender he/she is supposed to be.
tac
tac

Number of posts : 19270
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : pon

Back to top Go down

Earliest memory of a world event you can remember? - Page 4 Empty Re: Earliest memory of a world event you can remember?

Post by Basil Thu 04 Oct 2007, 01:38

Let's hope that we don't have to remember the 3,000 miners trapped miners in a mine in South Africa.
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15936
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by Hass Thu 04 Oct 2007, 02:45

Basil wrote:Let's hope that we don't have to remember the 3,000 miners trapped miners in a mine in South Africa.

A mere two trapped miners was a big story in Australia last year. 3,000 is almost too many to fathom.

Hass

Earliest memory of a world event you can remember? - Page 4 MPDozzd

Number of posts : 2401
Registration date : 2007-09-10
Flag/Background : nsw

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Thu 04 Oct 2007, 05:57

JKLever wrote:Strangely I cant remember the first Star Wars film, never became a Star Wars nerd till Empire strikes back.

I recall the first Star Wars film quite vividly (and the bubblegum cards that were going around at the time).

Around the same time I also recall seeing Close Encounters and Grease.

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by Allan D Thu 04 Oct 2007, 16:47

Basil wrote:
Allan D wrote:Earliest sporting event I can remember - watching Nottingham Forest beat Luton Town in the 1959 FA Cup Final. (Elton John's uncle broke his leg).

Earliest political event - my father swearing at the TV when it showed the results of the 1959 General Election the morning after polling day (the Conservatives won handily).

The memories are a little hazy but I was only 37yo at the time!

You were a late developer then?!

'Fraid so and the intervening period is a bit of a blur too, as somebody once said, if you can remember the '60s you weren't alive then afro

A bit off-topic but the first film I remember seeing is a vague memory (the only shot I can recall is the ice dancing sequence) of "Bambi" (no, not on its first release in 1942!!) but the first film I can recall properly is "Rio Bravo" with John Wayne, Dean Martin, Ricky Nelson and the inimitable Walter Brennan. This must have been the first film that my father took me to see. I think the second was "Sink the Bismarck!" with Kenneth More and Dana Wynter. The first film I can remember seeing on my own was the Boulting Brothers' industrial relations' satire "I'm Alright Jack!" with Ian Carmichael and Peter Sellers. I must have had a thing about films with exclamation marks in their title.
Allan D
Allan D

Number of posts : 6635

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 04 Oct 2007, 18:28

Merlin wrote:
Rob I wrote:
JKLever wrote:
Whats yours?

Apollo XI landing in the Sea of Tranquility.

That was filmed in a back lot of the Paramount Studios in Hollywood ...
why do you think they wore bronze non see thru sun visors?
Correct ! To hide the identity of the actors playing Armstrong and the other fella, whilst the tin can floated around the earth.

Honest guv'nor.

lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by Lara Lara Laughs Thu 04 Oct 2007, 19:00

Aathma wrote:The OJ Simpson trial.

Eh? Are you about 14?
Lara Lara Laughs
Lara Lara Laughs

Number of posts : 8943

Back to top Go down

Post by Lara Lara Laughs Thu 04 Oct 2007, 19:01

JKLever wrote:
Dello wrote:LLL's a teeny, isn't he? 19 or something.

Aye, though as a student he's unlikely to actually remember yesterday

I actually can't remember what my first world event was. I'll have to think about it and post back in a day or two.
Lara Lara Laughs
Lara Lara Laughs

Back to top Go down

Post by Lara Lara Laughs Thu 04 Oct 2007, 19:07

Interesting thread by the way. Good effort Dem.

Dello - I had you down as about 43. No idea you were only just out of your 20s. Act your age, man*!

As for Lever - he's plain lying. He's at least in his fifties.

*man as in "stiff upper lip, tally ho, jolly good show, pass the pimms" man. Not "Yeah, I iz in the hood cracking open some biatches" man. Just in case anyone cares...
Lara Lara Laughs
Lara Lara Laughs

Back to top Go down

Post by mynah Fri 05 Oct 2007, 21:19

Hass wrote:
Basil wrote:Let's hope that we don't have to remember the 3,000 miners trapped miners in a mine in South Africa.

A mere two trapped miners was a big story in Australia last year. 3,000 is almost too many to fathom.
Could have been an awful tragedy, but fortunately they all got out with no serious injuries.
mynah
mynah

Earliest memory of a world event you can remember? - Page 4 APSeEpm

Number of posts : 3385
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Fri 05 Oct 2007, 21:21

mynah wrote:
Hass wrote:

Could have been an awful tragedy, but fortunately they all got out with no serious injuries.

Good news!
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15936

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Fri 05 Oct 2007, 21:58

I remember my grandmother, whom I used to stay with in Perth, being terrified that the serial killer Eric Cook (of course, she didn't know his name then) was going to get her ... she was scared, and bolting all the doors. That'd be around 1962? That or the Gemini mission that burned on the launch pad, with Grissom, White, and Chaffey stuck inside.

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38074
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Fri 05 Oct 2007, 22:01

lardbucket wrote:I remember my grandmother, whom I used to stay with in Perth, being terrified that the serial killer Eric Cook (of course, she didn't know his name then) was going to get her ... she was scared, and bolting all the doors. That'd be around 1962? That or the Gemini mission that burned on the launch pad, with Grissom, White, and Chaffey stuck inside.

Calmed down now?
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Fri 05 Oct 2007, 22:02

Calmed down? It never affected me as much as it did her.

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38074
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Fri 05 Oct 2007, 22:02

lardbucket wrote:I remember my grandmother, whom I used to stay with in Perth, being terrified that the serial killer Eric Cook (of course, she didn't know his name then) was going to get her ... she was scared, and bolting all the doors. That'd be around 1962? That or the Gemini mission that burned on the launch pad, with Grissom, White, and Chaffey stuck inside.

Calmed down now?
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 16 Oct 2007, 21:57

Can't believe the 'Great Storm of 87' was 20 years ago TODAY!

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Tue 16 Oct 2007, 22:02

20 years ago today, I had the day off school

Good times
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Wed 17 Oct 2007, 03:57

20 years ago in 1987 was also the 20th anniversay of Sgt Peppers which of course started with "It was 20 years ago today".

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4