Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

OT: What book are you reading at the moment?

+37
Henry
G.Wood
buckSH
OP Tipping
lardbucket
Big Dog
The One
Anthony_Gonzales
DJ_Smerk
tricycle
Batman
Red
Brass Monkey
LeFromage
Basil
Allan D
simkat
horace
Winkle Spinner
PeterCS
doremi
Jontyh
skully
freddled gruntbuggly
Paul Keating
taipan
Bradman
JGK
Big_Bad_Bob
eowyn
tac
Eric Air Emu
Chivalry Augustus
JKLever
furriner
PlanetPakistan
Sasha
41 posters

Page 9 of 15 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 15  Next

Go down

OT:  What book are you reading at the moment? - Page 9 Empty Re: OT: What book are you reading at the moment?

Post by Red Wed 12 Nov 2014, 07:38

Herman Koch's 'The Dinner'.
Red
Red

Number of posts : 17071
Registration date : 2007-10-28
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

OT:  What book are you reading at the moment? - Page 9 Empty Re: OT: What book are you reading at the moment?

Post by Brass Monkey Wed 12 Nov 2014, 13:06

taipan wrote:
Interesting Dan. Always related Cornwell with. Sharpe.  Might have to look at his other series.

His other ones (Stonehenge, Warrior Chronicles, Warlord Chronicles) are the top books in that genre. I've read a lot and, to me, nothing comes close.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Wed 12 Nov 2014, 15:31

Brass Monkey wrote:
taipan wrote:
Interesting Dan. Always related Cornwell with. Sharpe.  Might have to look at his other series.

His other ones (Stonehenge, Warrior Chronicles, Warlord Chronicles) are the top books in that genre. I've read a lot and, to me, nothing comes close.

The Arthurian trilogy (Warlord?) Intrigued me. Next on my list. Be interesting to see how they stack up against Mary Stewart's version.
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Wed 12 Nov 2014, 17:38

taipan wrote:
Brass Monkey wrote:
taipan wrote:

The Arthurian trilogy (Warlord?) Intrigued me. Next on my list. Be interesting to see how they stack up against Mary Stewart's version.

Never read Mary Stewart. Not even sure I've heard of the books TBH. The Saxon books are probably better than the Briton books, but both are good reads. The TV series is going to be based on the Saxon books, so that'll spoiler you up a la GoT. Not sure when it's out - they haven't even casted yet
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Wed 12 Nov 2014, 19:09

Crystal Cave, etc. Told from a Merlin POV. Haven't read since I was young but see there is some bitching they are anti feminist which is a score in their favour. Might read differently if I re-read.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Thu 13 Nov 2014, 01:30

Big Dog wrote:Re-reading 'The Battle of Coral' by Lex McAulay.
The defence of fire bases Coral & Balmoral during the Vietnam War was one of the biggest actions by Australians & lasted 26 days. Real hollywood blockbuster stuff but all you hear about is Long Tan. shrug

Had an Uncle there. He talks about fighting pits (roughly chest deep) being full of blood. Lots of unawarded medals happened.
Bradman
Bradman

Number of posts : 17402
Registration date : 2008-08-13
Flag/Background : war

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Dog Thu 13 Nov 2014, 06:48

Bradman wrote:
Big Dog wrote:Re-reading 'The Battle of Coral' by Lex McAulay.
The defence of fire bases Coral & Balmoral during the Vietnam War was one of the biggest actions by Australians & lasted 26 days. Real hollywood blockbuster stuff but all you hear about is Long Tan. shrug

Had an Uncle there.  He talks about fighting pits (roughly chest deep) being full of blood.  Lots of unawarded medals happened.

Aye...some chilling first hand accounts in the book. 25 Aussies died repelling frontal assaults by NVA regulars and Vietcong. Shame they never got the recognition they deserved.
Big Dog
Big Dog

Number of posts : 16498
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : tig

http://bigdog.bigblog.com.au/index.do

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Thu 13 Nov 2014, 13:46

taipan wrote:Crystal Cave, etc. Told from a Merlin POV. Haven't read since I was young but see there is some bitching they are anti feminist which is a score in their favour. Might read differently if I re-read.

Oh right - sounds a bit 'mystical' - these are more historical really, 6th Century etc. May check them out, though. I think I've got about five books lined up, no plans after that.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Thu 13 Nov 2014, 13:50

Just started reading Roy Keane's book. He calls about four different people a "c*nt" or a "f*cker" on the first page alone.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Thu 13 Nov 2014, 15:13

Brass Monkey wrote:
taipan wrote:Crystal Cave, etc. Told from a Merlin POV. Haven't read since I was young but see there is some bitching they are anti feminist which is a score in their favour. Might read differently if I re-read.

Oh right - sounds a bit 'mystical' - these are more historical really, 6th Century etc. May check them out, though. I think I've got about five books lined up, no plans after that.

Not òverly mystical, explained more by trickery and logic, set in the same time frame and sticks to the basic story. Haven't said that I haven't read them for 30 years or so, so have no idea how they stand up to the ravages. Should be on the shelf somewhere. Think I will give his series a chance' I have been running out of authors recently.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Fri 14 Nov 2014, 00:06

Happy to see Nigel has moved on from the Phantom and Jungle Jim comic books
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Fri 14 Nov 2014, 09:06

taipan wrote:
Not òverly  mystical, explained more by trickery and logic, set in the same time frame  and sticks to the basic story. Haven't said that I haven't read them for 30 years or so, so have no idea how they stand up to the ravages. Should be on the shelf somewhere. Think I will give his series a chance' I have been running out of authors recently.

If you like the historical fiction genre, as well as Cornwell, I'd recommend Nick Brown's Agent Of Rome series - it's about some bloke in the Roman military police - more intrigue than battles - quite a refreshing change.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Fri 14 Nov 2014, 09:18

Oi !

Merlin

Number of posts : 14718

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Fri 14 Nov 2014, 09:19

horace wrote:Happy to see Nigel has moved on from the Phantom and Jungle Jim comic books
And what pray is wrong with the Jungle Jim comics?
Eh?

Merlin

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Fri 14 Nov 2014, 09:27

Merlin wrote:

Oi !

You disagree?
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Fri 14 Nov 2014, 09:35

taipan wrote:
Merlin wrote:

Oi !

You disagree?

Nah ..... but I do like the sound of bitching though.
Always an inducement into picking up a tome!

Merlin

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Fri 14 Nov 2014, 12:18

Brass Monkey wrote:
taipan wrote:
Not òverly  mystical, explained more by trickery and logic, set in the same time frame  and sticks to the basic story. Haven't said that I haven't read them for 30 years or so, so have no idea how they stand up to the ravages. Should be on the shelf somewhere. Think I will give his series a chance' I have been running out of authors recently.

If you like the historical fiction genre, as well as Cornwell, I'd recommend Nick Brown's Agent Of Rome series - it's about some bloke in the Roman military police - more intrigue than battles - quite a refreshing change.

Not really my genre, but then police procedurals are so will give it a look.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Fri 14 Nov 2014, 16:12

Yeah fair enough - I've become tired of all the Roman shit - but this one is an exception.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Wed 19 Nov 2014, 13:36

Brass Monkey wrote:
taipan wrote:

Started on the Warlord series last night.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Wed 19 Nov 2014, 16:13

taipan wrote:
Started on the Warlord series last night.

Nice - you enjoying it?
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Wed 19 Nov 2014, 19:01

Not deep enough in yet. First impression I am worried about character development which is one thing you can't accuse GRRM of.( maybe too much at times)
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Sat 22 Nov 2014, 12:12

One down. Onto number two.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Sun 23 Nov 2014, 09:45

Jeez, ploughing through. What you thinking so far?
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Sun 23 Nov 2014, 14:58

5 days for the first. Thought it took longer. Anyway 47% though the 2nd. Would have nailed it but the 5 year plan required some attention.

First one improved after a slow start. Second I am enjoying.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Mon 24 Nov 2014, 05:49

Two down. IMHO better than the first.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 15 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 15  Next