Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

OT: What book are you reading at the moment?

+37
Henry
G.Wood
buckSH
OP Tipping
lardbucket
Big Dog
The One
Anthony_Gonzales
DJ_Smerk
tricycle
Batman
Red
Brass Monkey
LeFromage
Basil
Allan D
simkat
horace
Winkle Spinner
PeterCS
doremi
Jontyh
skully
freddled gruntbuggly
Paul Keating
taipan
Bradman
JGK
Big_Bad_Bob
eowyn
tac
Eric Air Emu
Chivalry Augustus
JKLever
furriner
PlanetPakistan
Sasha
41 posters

Page 8 of 15 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11 ... 15  Next

Go down

OT:  What book are you reading at the moment? - Page 8 Empty Re: OT: What book are you reading at the moment?

Post by Red Sun May 18, 2014 3:51 pm

taipan wrote:Niv.

BTW Taipan I have read all the Peter Robinsons. His good mate whose South African, Deon Meyer also writes some riveting crime stuff set in Cape Town. I also like Margie Orford's novels which are set in CT too. A couple you might want to look up if you haven't yet.

Currently I'm reading Sadie Jones' latest novel which is based around a group of young arty farties in London in the seventies. And for work I have had to re-read 'Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?' which is great fun.
Red
Red

Number of posts : 17071
Registration date : 2007-10-28
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

OT:  What book are you reading at the moment? - Page 8 Empty Re: OT: What book are you reading at the moment?

Post by taipan Sun May 18, 2014 5:06 pm

Tink I'm about up to 12 in the Peter Robinson's.
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Sun May 18, 2014 5:07 pm

taipan wrote:Tink I'm about up to 12 in the Peter Robinson's.

I've also watched the first two series on tv.
Red
Red

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Sun May 18, 2014 5:14 pm

BTW are you signed up with Good Reads?
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Sun May 18, 2014 6:34 pm

taipan wrote:BTW are you signed up with Good Reads?

Negative.
Red
Red

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Sun May 18, 2014 7:15 pm

Find it useful.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Sun May 18, 2014 7:23 pm

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/20361869-weeks-in-naviras
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Sun May 18, 2014 7:34 pm

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1059065.Niv
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Sun May 18, 2014 7:55 pm

Yes, I'm aware of it. It does look useful but I regularly read reviews too so am constantly apprised of the new offerings. Just wish I had more time to read more books!
Red
Red

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Sun May 18, 2014 8:29 pm

The reviews are useful but the best feature is the tracking of books you have read, and those you want to read.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:40 am

Three more extracts from Ian Peebles' autobiography ("Spinner's Yarn", 1978), which I've meant to put up for a while.

Peebles was a fine writer, I think. The modern phrase is "a triumph of style over substance". Whereas in Peebles' case I think it's style with substance - with poise, and a generally light touch, too.

"Cricket, being a game subject to so many variables of weather, soil, light and character, apart from its infinite intrinsic variations, produces a wealth of curiosities. Its statistics in themselves are an unending fascination to the devotee, and it must be some measure of the game's scope that scores produced by eleven players can vary between nought and 1107. If further evidence of the violent fluctuation in cricket fortunes be required, it may be recalled that Victoria, the makers of that record score, were all out in the return match against New South Wales, a few weeks later, for 35 ..."
(p182)

"There was the apt and occasionally ferocious wit of George Macauley [of Yorkshire], whose interests were quick off-spinners and classical music. [...] I thought I knew all the Macauleyisms until I had the inestimable pleasure of sitting next to Wilfred [Rhodes] on his ninetieth birthday. [...] [Wilfred] recalled taking the field in 1923 after reading about the disastrous fire which had completely destroyed Madame Tussaud's wax works. In Macauley's two opening overs, his slips - Holmes, Sutcliffe and Kilner - each dropped a sitter, at which the bowler addressed them from thirty yards away: 'When Madame Tussaud wants a set of bluddy slips,' he bawled, 'I'll know where t'find 'em.'
(p155)

"Doubtless every man thinks that his particular sphere of interest attracts people of special quality and character, but I am convinced that in the case of cricket this is true. The physical nature of the game would support this contention. It is the most subtle of the active ball games, and widest in its scope and variety, and certainly as susceptible to climatic influence as any other game. It contains all the psychological strains of golf, the nervous suspense, the call for firm decision under pressure - and with time to dither. Normally a reasonably safe game in the physical sense, it can be tough and dangerous. Anyone who doubts this can volunteer to open an innings against the Australian or West Indian fast bowlers, or put his hand to a nice full-blooded hit to mid-off on a keen April morning."
(p211)

PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:07 am

rotzdem Ja zum Leben sagen: Ein Psychologe erlebt das Konzentrationslager

Fortunately for me, the English translation.

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38105
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:09 am

Is it less harrowing in English?
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:39 pm

Doubt it.

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38105
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:34 am

An interrogator once pointed out to [Eddie] Paynter that his average of 83 [in Tests v Australia] owed much to the 216 not out he made at Trent Bridge in 1938 [the first innings of the First Test of that year], when he went in at 244 for 3.

'Oh ay', said Paynter, 'ay, it were mostly due to that 216.'

He paused, and added, 'Still, they 'ad to be made, tha knows.'
Alan Gibson, "Growing Up With Cricket", p137.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:44 am

Been dipping in and out of (among other books - a bad habit of parallel reading) a great little book: "Cricket - The Great Captains" (ed. John Arlott, first publ. 1971). 8 tributes of around 16 pages each by different writers.

Bill Bowes' encomium of DR Jardine is a thought-provoking study by one of the four Yorkshire players who were the skipper's staunchest and most wholehearted followers during the "war".

It contains a lot of gems of first-hand experiences and views. Here's one - not Bodyline-related!.

There's very little new under the sun!

"My next meeting with Jardine was in the Champion County match against the Rest of England at the Oval in 1931, by which time I was playing with Yorkshire. 'D.R.' with a century in his second innings saved the game for his team.

But he was 'let off' by Yorkshire all-rounder Emmott Robinson. Emmott, in the middle of his delivery action, while swinging his arm over to bowl, stopped and stood with the ball poised over the bails while Jardine advanced at least four yards up the pitch. Jardine turned in amazement to see Emmott standing ready to run him out.

'Nah then, hev I to do it?', Emmott demanded. 'Tha's bin pinching a yard or two every time ah've bowled. If tha does it it ageean, assall do thi.' (*)

'D.R.' said nothing With his head held high, just as he walked off the field at Brisbane, he walked majestically back to his crease at the Oval. But he did not offend again."

(*) translation for non-Yorkie readers: "If you do that again, I'll do yer"
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by Winkle Spinner Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:48 pm

Just finished Red Mars. Hell of a read if a bit long. Now planning out how to get there in time to get involved in the martian revolution, sounds like it will be fun.
Winkle Spinner
Winkle Spinner

Number of posts : 953
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:10 pm

(Calling in ... with my head ducked down and collar up ...)

I've already praised Ian Peebles' writing above - and also his crafty, significant book titles ...

One of the cricket books I read over the summer was another by Peebles, written in the 1960s. In the decade of a chucking epidemic in cricket - some would prefer to think of it as a calling epidemic. Ian Meckiff (Aus), Geoff Griffin (SA), Charlie Griffith (WI) were among the highest-profile cases, but there were several 'incidents' for example in the English county game too.

The book is - as ever - nicely titled. "Straight from the Shoulder. 'Throwing' - its History and Cure".

That last word tells you the book is also "straight from the shoulder" in frankly proposing a way out of the morass, and an endless debate as to what constitutes an illegal action.

I was struck by Peebles' usual fairness, his characteristic stylish qualities, - and also how the book has not aged. (Point #3 below might seem to be way out of date in an age of varying degrees of flexion - but I'm not sure it is.)

Here are a few of Peebles' main points (my summary, hence my responsibility):

1. It is vital not to set about vilifying/demonising "chuckers".

For two reasons: a) this creates far more heat, and mutual recriminations, than light or a solution; b) the vast majority of throwers sincerely believe their deliveries are legal

2. Few bowlers "throw" much of the time.

Filming shows that the "throw" almost always arises from  a special effort ball: an extra strain to bowl at faster than usual speed (or with extra or unusual spin). Physiologically, it typically derives from an excess or premature twisting of the chest towards the batsman in the delivery stride.

3. Most [1960s] contemporary proposals to solve the problem still desperately seek to define and outlaw what is a "throw" - and fail in the attempt.

Instead, legislation should seek to define a (legal) BOWL. The arm should be required to be extended straight at the elbow from the horizontal behind the body to the point of the delivery of the ball. Failing this, "no-ball" should be called.

4. Note: Flexing of the WRIST at any point should be considered entirely legitimate (against some critics' carping).

5. Various other solutions that have been proposed - such as to legalise throwing in any way, shape or form - are disastrous to cricket, for a variety of reasons (which Peebles explains very clearly).

Peebles treats his subject thoroughly and seriously, but not solemnly, pompously or heatedly. He writes with a characteristic light touch, elegance and - either delicately understated, or neatly satirical, dismantling - humour.

The foreword by Don Bradman also makes for interesting reading to this day.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:13 pm

Whaddup P? Nice to see you. Hope you're flexing it good and proper. Glad you've busted in.

On topic: the new Bernard Cornwell book is good - he always is. Heard they're making a big series out of it 'to rival Game Of Thrones'. I doubt it could do that, what with it being realistic and all, but nevertheless, good times for us Cornwell fans.

It left a void when I finished, so I got back into the Steampunk. The Somnambulist was my first stop, which was pretty decent - though his high brow prose left me wondering the point at times, but was pretty eloquent.

Now I'm onto Whitechapel Gods, which is pretty freakish.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:54 am

Brass Monkey wrote:Whaddup P? Nice to see you. Hope you're flexing it good and proper. Glad you've busted in.

On topic: the new Bernard Cornwell book is good - he always is. Heard they're making a big series out of it 'to rival Game Of Thrones'. I doubt it could do that, what with it being realistic and all, but nevertheless, good times for us Cornwell fans.

It left a void when I finished, so I got back into the Steampunk. The Somnambulist was my first stop, which was pretty decent - though his high brow prose left me wondering the point at times, but was pretty eloquent.

Now I'm onto Whitechapel Gods, which is pretty freakish.

Interesting Dan. Always related Cornwell with. Sharpe. Might have to look at his other series.

taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:07 am

Read this last week.

http://www.amazon.com/State-Emergency-Were-Britain-1970-1974-ebook/dp/B0050N7H3U/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1415729129&sr=1-1&keywords=dominic+sandbrook

Unfortunately the two before are not available on ebook and the next one is ridiculously priced.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:44 am

If your summation of point 3 is correct, it's a pity people may think it has aged.
Bradman
Bradman

Number of posts : 17402
Registration date : 2008-08-13
Flag/Background : war

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:59 am

Bradman wrote:If your summation of point 3 is correct, it's a pity people may think it has aged.

Lost me.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:01 pm

Sorry. Was looking at PCS' original post and some comments on chucking.
Bradman
Bradman

Number of posts : 17402
Registration date : 2008-08-13
Flag/Background : war

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Dog Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:14 pm

Re-reading 'The Battle of Coral' by Lex McAulay.
The defence of fire bases Coral & Balmoral during the Vietnam War was one of the biggest actions by Australians & lasted 26 days. Real hollywood blockbuster stuff but all you hear about is Long Tan. shrug
Big Dog
Big Dog

Number of posts : 16498
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : tig

http://bigdog.bigblog.com.au/index.do

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 15 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11 ... 15  Next