Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

OT: What book are you reading at the moment?

+37
Henry
G.Wood
buckSH
OP Tipping
lardbucket
Big Dog
The One
Anthony_Gonzales
DJ_Smerk
tricycle
Batman
Red
Brass Monkey
LeFromage
Basil
Allan D
simkat
horace
Winkle Spinner
PeterCS
doremi
Jontyh
skully
freddled gruntbuggly
Paul Keating
taipan
Bradman
JGK
Big_Bad_Bob
eowyn
tac
Eric Air Emu
Chivalry Augustus
JKLever
furriner
PlanetPakistan
Sasha
41 posters

Page 3 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9 ... 15  Next

Go down

OT:  What book are you reading at the moment? - Page 3 Empty Re: OT: What book are you reading at the moment?

Post by taipan Wed 18 Feb 2009, 06:14

Winkle Spinner wrote:Franz Kafka, the trial. I've only just started, any good?

I saw an old friend the other day and it turns out the last three books we'd read were exactly the same, despite having no communication on the matter. How serendipitous is that?

Janet and John?
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

OT:  What book are you reading at the moment? - Page 3 Empty Re: OT: What book are you reading at the moment?

Post by horace Wed 18 Feb 2009, 06:18

on the german theme I am working up for another read of "the death of my brother Abel" by the improbably named Gregor von Rezzori
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Fri 20 Feb 2009, 16:07

Winkle Spinner wrote:Franz Kafka, the trial. I've only just started, any good?

I saw an old friend the other day and it turns out the last three books we'd read were exactly the same, despite having no communication on the matter. How serendipitous is that?

Very dry satire.

I hope you are using a recent translation.

The Muirs' was shiite squared.

They didn't even get the title right. It should be something like "The Case against Joseph K" (or The Lawsuit). In other words, it's not a question of court proceedings, it's a malicious whispering conspiracy (or possibly a case of anxiety-ridden paranoia coming to life - like "The Third Policeman"). After the title, the Muirs' version gets worse.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 21 Apr 2009, 00:27

I'm enjoying The Flashman Papers now. Took a while to get into it, especially when he was in Afganistan but am now half way through the second one. A good-bad character Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Tue 21 Apr 2009, 06:55

Good series, ain't it.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 21 Apr 2009, 07:31

So far, yes Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Tue 21 Apr 2009, 07:31

Wait til he plays cricket
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 21 Apr 2009, 07:50

Do you think I'll be able to understand it Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Sat 04 Sep 2010, 02:45

My holiday reading was Emily Barr: Plan B and Vince Cable: The Storm.

A lovely couple!
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by simkat Sun 05 Sep 2010, 06:36

I recently finished reading 'Under Two Dictators: A Prisoner of Stalin and Hitler' by Margarete Buber-Neumann. I loved it so much it was hard to choose what to read next but I've gone with 'Balkan Ghosts' by Robert Kaplan. I'm about 60 pages in and so far so good, with a decent bit of background to the Archduke Franz Ferdinand assassination which hasn't really been covered in other books I've read.
simkat
simkat

Number of posts : 885
Registration date : 2008-12-26
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Sun 05 Sep 2010, 07:14

US Hustler June 2010 Edition.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105981
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Allan D Sun 05 Sep 2010, 17:45

Lot of reading there, Skulls. Takes at least 3 months to get through it properly unless the pages get stuck together, that is.

drool

OT:  What book are you reading at the moment? - Page 3 F_mnpcfofvm_483ef8f
Allan D
Allan D

Number of posts : 6635

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Sun 05 Sep 2010, 20:17

Indeed AD. I like the way Flynt pushes the boundaries. Shocked
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105981
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sasha Wed 08 Sep 2010, 20:00

Do I have to have 'Hustler' appearing in my thread?

Men Rolling Eyes Laughing
Sasha
Sasha

Number of posts : 186
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Wed 08 Sep 2010, 20:22

It wasn't me, Sasha. *puts hands up innocently and assuagingly*

Just those silly gentleman-squire Ralph types! :O
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by Jontyh Wed 08 Sep 2010, 21:22

taipan wrote:
Jontyh wrote:Just finished Exit Music by Ian Rankin and was slightly gutted as that's all of the Rebus novels knocked off.

Yeah, and where does he go to now with Rebus retired?

Just read Doors Open and The Complaints. The former a heist and the latter a police procedural. Both decent reads and the cop one no worse for not having Rebus in it..
Jontyh
Jontyh

OT:  What book are you reading at the moment? - Page 3 MPDozzd

Number of posts : 2257
Registration date : 2008-01-18

Back to top Go down

Post by doremi Wed 08 Sep 2010, 22:28

Re-reading The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. All the 4 books in the trilogy.

OK, a friend of mine is insisting I read the new Dan Brown book. How is it and is there any deviation from the set storyline of the rest of his books?
doremi
doremi

Number of posts : 9743
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Wed 08 Sep 2010, 23:50

doremi wrote:Re-reading The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. All the 4 books in the trilogy.

OK, a friend of mine is insisting I read the new Dan Brown book. How is it and is there any deviation from the set storyline of the rest of his books?

Reading Vol de nuit . . . in a volume with Courrier Sud . . .
tac
tac

Number of posts : 19270
Flag/Background : pon

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Thu 09 Sep 2010, 00:51

Reading Roy Jenkins' biography of Churchill
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15936

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Thu 09 Sep 2010, 01:11

Jontyh wrote:
taipan wrote:
Jontyh wrote:Just finished Exit Music by Ian Rankin and was slightly gutted as that's all of the Rebus novels knocked off.

Just read Doors Open and The Complaints. The former a heist and the latter a police procedural. Both decent reads and the cop one no worse for not having Rebus in it..

The latter several times better than the former. Doors Open is a bit of a parody of itself (or by Rankin of Rankin), and gives the impression of having been pumped out at some speed (plot/plausibility doesn't hang together well, for a start), whereas the second is vintage Rankin.

As for your other comment, Fox is VERY like a Rebus with 10-20 years shaved off!
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by Allan D Thu 09 Sep 2010, 09:02

Basil wrote:Reading Roy Jenkins' biography of Churchill

The audiobook with John Sessions is excellent too. Just finishing off Michael Curtis' Verdict on Vichy - a devastating indictment of the 'banality of evil'.
Allan D
Allan D

Number of posts : 6635

Back to top Go down

Post by simkat Thu 09 Sep 2010, 10:16

I've just started 'Bad Faith: A Story of Family and Fatherland' by Carmen Calill. I've also just added Verdict on Vichy to my goodreads 'to read' list. Thanks AD. Very Happy

Also, Michael Burleigh's 'Moral Combat: A History of World War II' arrived by mail yesterday (finally) so that's my next book.

simkat
simkat

Number of posts : 885
Registration date : 2008-12-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Jontyh Thu 09 Sep 2010, 11:20

PeterCS wrote:
Jontyh wrote:
taipan wrote:

The latter several times better than the former. Doors Open is a bit of a parody of itself (or by Rankin of Rankin), and gives the impression of having been pumped out at some speed (plot/plausibility doesn't hang together well, for a start), whereas the second is vintage Rankin.

As for your other comment, Fox is VERY like a Rebus with 10-20 years shaved off!

DO gives the impression of having started off as a short story or novella and being fleshed out, but I can't see why you'd say it's a parody unless you mean with its unlikely plot.
Fox might share Rebus' tenacity and perspicacity but I didn't think his character otherwise similar. His relationship with Jamie was one departure from the Rebus mould..
Jontyh
Jontyh

OT:  What book are you reading at the moment? - Page 3 MPDozzd

Number of posts : 2257
Registration date : 2008-01-18

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Thu 09 Sep 2010, 14:29

The highly implausible plot (see above) - in both the grand design and the development of the tale, also the nudge-nudge style, generic Rankin rather than gripping.

Fox also has a similar slightly jaded approach ("world-weariness"), along with an amiable difficulty with the authorities including problems in communicating easily with others, the element of being a social misfit. ...
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Thu 09 Sep 2010, 14:29

Don't get me wrong, I thought The Complaints was a great book.

But then I like Rebus.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9 ... 15  Next